1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

So, the Xbox HD DVD is out very soon...

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by ben.franklin, 8 November 2006.

1. ben.franklin

ben.franklin Non-League

12 January 2003
    .... According to DVD Active, it's out on the 24th November, for an RRP of £129.99. That sounds like a bargain to me, compared to the costs of the standalone players.

But is anyone going to buy it? I'm VERY tempted.... ;)

2. rockykabir

rockykabir hello

30 March 2003
    London -> New York -> San Francisco
    Liverpool FC
    Microsoft could be onto a winner with this. £129 seems to be a very attractive price for those who have already invested in a 360.

The problem is that MS haven't set up a significant 360 userbase. Those wanting to purchase a new games console and want movies may just go for the all in one PS3 package instead.

But then again, the PS3 is most likely gonna go in short supply this winter and it's coming to Europe in March - a lot of people will want to see HD movie action this Christmas.

3. djdoc

djdoc Guest

I think ill wait some time before going HD where DVD is concerned, I didnt get standard DVD for a while.

DJ

4. shieldslfc

shieldslfc League 1

25 April 2004
    liverpool
    does anyone know if this will connect to TV via HDMI?

5. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Turn around, I'm right behind you...
    Manchester United
    So its gonna connect directly to the TV rather than through the X360?

6. djdoc

djdoc Guest

No Rune, it connects to your TV VIA the Xbox 360....

No we wont be able to use HDMI as the 360 doesnt support that.

DJ

7. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Turn around, I'm right behind you...
    Manchester United
    Isnt it possible to just make a HDMI cable for the X360?
    Not that I really care cuz I want to leave my HDMI port free for the PS3 while the X360 uses the VGA port and the Wii can have the component one.

8. djdoc

djdoc Guest

Not sure mate because I think HDMI works in a special way with Encryption and such like.

DJ

9. Chris Davies

Chris Davies At least, I think I am Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    Did the last XBOX 360 Live update (or the one before) not add HDMI support? I'm sure I read that somewhere three or four times. Could have misread it though.

10. rockykabir

rockykabir hello

30 March 2003
    Liverpool FC
    I think it was 1080p support

It's a proprietry connector anyway....I remember reading an entry in Engadget saying there shouldn't be a problem in adding HDMI

11. Chris Davies

Chris Davies At least, I think I am Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    Ah yeah, it was 1080p support. Sorry.

12. rockykabir

rockykabir hello

30 March 2003
    Liverpool FC
    Thats ok

13. shieldslfc

shieldslfc League 1

25 April 2004
    liverpool
    Thats not confirmed, the 360 will could connect to the HD player, the HD drive to the TV, so it is possible the HD player will have HDMI (the 360 does the processing bit), I have a feeling the player won't have HDMI as microsoft have not mentioned it in any news releases, but here's hoping

Last edited: 10 November 2006
  14. djdoc

djdoc Guest

They denied that they would be making an HDMI cable for the Xbox 360 as apparently Hardware changes to the motherboard would need to take place so that it could use HDMI... Thats what I heard some time ago when the 1st mention of the 360 vs HDMI.

DJ

15. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002
    Money grabbing cunts is all i can say

they should have had this in from the start but want to get more money out of people

16. djdoc

djdoc Guest

I agree they should have used a HD-DVD drive inside the console from the beginning.

DJ

17. rockykabir

rockykabir hello

30 March 2003
    Liverpool FC
    But then we'll be looking at PS3 prices wouldn't we?

18. ash

ash DeMinistrator

21 March 2004
    London
    Man Utd
    Yeah good point. It is now upto us if we want to buy it or not.

19. JayM

JayM International

17 April 2004
    North Yorkshire
    Celtic
    MicroSoft make no money off of the hardware AFAIK. I think they are selling this to get people to buy into HD-DVD, a format they are heavily involved with.

That's why MicroSoft can afford to sell this for half the cost of a stand alone player IMO.

Plus, it would have made the 360 console more expensive, when only a small percentage of 360 owners would actually use it.