Snooker 19 [PS4/XBO/Switch/PC]

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Chris Davies, 18 October 2018.

1. Chris Davies

Chris Davies Chief PESsimist Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    Chuny and jaygrim like this.
  2. P34SEMM

P34SEMM @iam_emmo

2 November 2011
    Romford
    Liverpool FC
    Oh i love a snooker game.

3. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Championship

5 September 2016
    Nice. Looking forward to this.

4. Marching On Together

Marching On Together Non-League

1 October 2012
    Rotherham
    Leeds United
    Fantastic news.

5. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    La Manga Del Mar Menor, Spain.
    Sheffield Wednesday
    *cough*PC missing from title...

6. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    Typical console gamers forget that PC's exist..

Placebo likes this.
  7. PRO_TOO

PRO_TOO Team Heffernan

25 May 2003
    Rego Park, Germany
    Team Heffernan
    Hey @Chris Davies . Thx for opening the thread.
    I played hustle kings in the past. Don’t mind spending a 20 bucks on a new tittle. I can wait till it drops in price. :)
    One question. Can we make this sticky or a “rule” when opening a new thread for a game? It helps a lot, imo. Guess a lot of user would benefit from it.
    Like this: https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes-2019-discussion-thread-ps4-xb1.79222/

I don’t know if it’s possible to implement it to the board via modules. But this is an easy solution. I like to go to the opening post myself and find it helpful when there is everything in one place. Plus, users “take care” of “their” thread. ;)
    Just asking. Maybe users will adopt and do it themselves, so no rule will be needed. ;) :)

8. Isslander

Isslander Gordon's alive!

3 August 2003
    Iceland
    Liverpool
    I am watching snooker right now, O'Sullivan having a tough game against a young Chinese player.

Would love a good game, really hope this will be.

Chris Davies and Gunslinger like this.
  9. kamy100

kamy100 Premiership

9 June 2003
    Blackburn, UK
    Good look into this game, starts fro 2.45 onwards.

jaygrim, Gunslinger and winston like this.
  10. Topaz

Topaz Programmer/TheAwesomeGem

21 October 2011
    United States
    Chelsea, Spain
    Just curious. Is there any good pool game for PC? The last one I played was the Cue Club.

11. spektarm

spektarm Premier League

6 October 2006
    Manchester United
    https://www.shooterspool.net/

This one is a great simulation, you can try it for free as well. No career mode though.

12. kamy100

kamy100 Premiership

9 June 2003
    Blackburn, UK

chosefs and normazimuth like this.
  13. kamy100

kamy100 Premiership

9 June 2003
    Blackburn, UK
    normazimuth likes this.
  14. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    Really hyped, especially for the "play along" functionality with the tournaments.

I think a lot of people will be disappointed with the janky animations and bugs, but hopefully it sells enough and makes enough money for them to consider patching it for a while post-release (and to create a sequel).

There are too many sports-game devs like this that take your money and disappear, though. The guys behind The Golf Club don't post on their forums any more, the guys behind Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf disappeared from their forums literally years ago, the AO International Tennis guys released a great little update for it but they've moved onto mobile games now (a mobile cricket game).

I really hope these guys stick around and have the resources to do more with things like the career mode at some point in the future, even if it's not for the first game.

15. kamy100

kamy100 Premiership

9 June 2003
    Blackburn, UK
    AO tennis team (Big Ant) are developing a full cricket game due out in May, they are hoping to get back to the Tennis game after that with AO International Tennis 2 out in January 2020 and possibly another patch for AO Internation Tennis before that in the summer:

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/1087746/...100000476238230+&utm_campaign=Other+Campaigns

But yes I agree, hope peopke can see beyond the Animations and that they du support this via post release. AO tennis a great example, it was awful when it released in January 2018, however with patches the game got better and better.

16. normazimuth

normazimuth Conference

18 May 2013
    I'm most interested to see how the AI plays.

I bought Pure Pool (with the free Snooker add-on) for PS4 a year or two back and it was pretty good for £10 - I liked how it played. However, there was nothing interesting about playing the AI - just a bunch of made up names and you didn't see them at the table, and no proper tournaments to speak of, so no lasting appeal.

This game has the potential to be far more immersive because you'll see and recognise who you're playing against and it's got proper tournaments.

However, I hope the AI players have a good range of stats (ideally that we can interrogate) that affect their attacking and defensive abilities, style of play and how they react to different match situations. Every AI player is essentially pure maths and so is capable of scoring a perfect 147 from break-off every frame, so there needs to be some realistic human fallability about each AI player, with some clearly less technically able than others, some very attacking and flamboyant whilst others are more cautious, and also some less mentally strong than others. Some should be more impatient and concede frames when they need only a snooker or two whilst other should be more stubborn and carry on even if they need 6 snookers. Players' form should also rise and fall, so the best players have bad sessions and bad matches. It would be a real let-down if every AI player, whenever required, (in PES19 super-human AI style) just turns into Ronnie and bangs in a total clearance, no matter their real-life probably of achieving it and no matter the effect real-life pressure would have on their game in given match situations. Easy pots should have a higher probability of being missed by the AI in high pressure situations, particularly by less mentally resilient players.

I hope that has been given due consideration and isn't too hard to achieve. If they don't achieve anything close to this, I doubt I'll buy. I'm not interested in on-line play.

The other thing with Pure Pool was it was too hard to play really soft shots, like trying to tickle the cue ball already in the baulk area in behind a baulk colour to lay a snooker. There wasn't sufficient level of sensitivity in the controller stick to play these shots with the touch you would in real life - the tendency was to either just touch the stick and completely under-hit the shot or to avoid such under-hits, over compensate and completely over-hit it. The game needed a facility, such as pressing an extra button, that would temporarily set the controller stick to a much higher level of sensitivity when playing such delicate shots.

I wish them well and I'm intrigued to see how this turns out but as it's pretty much a full-price game, it's got to deliver the ability to play every shot and have an AI which feels like more than maths with some scanned faces.

Chris Davies likes this.
  17. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    The launch date looks to have been confirmed in this Xbox news article as April 19th.

I've tweeted them a very basic question about the AI, asking if the experience will differ depending on their play style or their success rates with different types of shots. Will let you know if they reply!

EDIT:

Last edited: 19 March 2019 at 16:53
    normazimuth likes this.
  18. normazimuth

normazimuth Conference

18 May 2013
    Sounds fairly promising. Given what one of the articles said about the on-line tournaments running concurrently with real-life tournaments, I wonder if the AI player stats vary over time and rise and fall with their real-life form - isn't that what the live-update stuff does in PES/FIFA? Given there are only 128 players, you'd hope that wouldn't be too difficult to deploy and maintain.

19. kamy100

kamy100 Premiership

9 June 2003
    Blackburn, UK
    Chris Davies likes this.
  20. Sami 1999

Sami 1999 Noob

28 June 2015
    Good. I wanted to play a snooker game but haven't found any good snooker games in a while.

Last time I played a good snooker game was back in 2006 but I forgot what the name of that game was.

21. dazzer169

dazzer169 Conference

13 April 2008
    Liverpool
    ......and I still have Pure Pool, by these same pretenders, in my Steam games list.

Pure Pool has the most pathetic opponent AI (I am obviously talking about offline play here) that I have seen in a Pool/Snooker/Billiards game ever, there is no knowledge in the AI's coding about backspin, sidespin, topspin..........just hit and hope load of sh*te.

Pool Nation, Virtual Pool, Virtua Snooker, WSC 2015, WSC 20XX the games before that, they were PROPERLY coded for the AI players....

So I would fully expect these charlatans with their flash "Snooker 19" 'oooh, its licensed!!' to be giving us the same pile of sh*te this time around.

I hope to be proved wrong.............

22. dazzer169

dazzer169 Conference

13 April 2008
    Liverpool
    oh and I forgot about the brilliant VR version of Pool Nation (Sports Bar VR) again, it had very realistic AI opponents.

But let me get one thing straight about Pure Pool and its ONLY saving grace..............it looked great and had decent ball physics.....and if you only want to play someone online, then its perfect for you and fairly realistic................but for me, I need a sports game that has had some genuine effort put into its AI opponents, and not the bullshit opponents that I was up against when playing offline.........and please dont get me started on the "download a human players DNA" nonsense that was a big part of Pure Pool, they played against you with a just as limited lack of kinetic ball positioning analysis and shot selection as the default AI, its as if the coders were a bunch of absolute conmen because this DNA was non-existent. By shot selection, it would have helped if the coders would have given the AI the knowledge of what back, side and top spin was....

I stick by what I have said, and I want these coders (yes, the coders, not the "front men" who advertise the game), to prove to me that they were aware of their utter piss-take with Pure Pool in terms of the AI and in terms of the bullshit that was the "DNA"......by giving Snooker 19 some proper coding, not JUST the graphics and ball physics....