Sim City - PC

bsmaff

International
11 August 2003
Hertfordshire
Exeter City
Well there isn't a thread for this so guess not much interest.
I pre-ordered the game ages ago and will be playing it on launch and over the weekend.

I have loved all the Sim City games since I first played it on my Spectrum, yes my Spectrum all those years ago.

My all time favourite version though was the one released on the Snes, yes I enjoyed this version more than 2000 and Sim City 4.

I would post a video but the EA servers were down and I had to wait 40 minutes before I could add a link.

I've pre ordered it and I just hope my crappy computer can play it properly.

I like that you don't have to put all the water pipes and electricity all of the time, that stuff used to annoy me in previous ones.

I watched some of the live streams and was reading the blog for the last few months, hopefully the small size of the cities will be ok. But all in all it looks good, hopefully it will be :DD

It's getting great reviews.

I loved the SNES version too. I remember leaving it running over night with the aim of earning lots of coins only to return to a wrecked city due to several natural disasters. Bad times.

My biggest gripe with the old games were that you had to put police stations like EVERYWHERE to remove the crime. Your city basically was populated by policemen and women so the only people committing crime would have been bent cops!

I doubt my pc could play this otherwise I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

The thing that has stopped me buying this game is the small size of the cities. I'm used to Cities XL which allows for the building of vast cities and that's what I like.

Also I'm only interested in playing city building games offline so the online emphasis of SC5 has put me off.

The original Sim City back on the Amiga was excellent for the time but I think Sim City 4 was my favourite. The water pipes and electricity connections were a bit annoying, but that aside the game was really fun and well supported with mods.

You can't play the game offline, small maps and a lack of stats - deal breaker for me.

Have been reading several negative reviews from people who've been a fan since the first few games.

Can't play offline?! That's mental. even if my pc could run it I couldn't play it anyway.

i am waiting for key, but i see that there are just small maps :OOOH: and metacritic user score is 2.7 :SHOCK:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/simcity

The Metacritic score is nonsense though, it is all people giving the game a zero because they couldn't play it straight away because of the stupid DRM.

I pre-ordered it ages ago when the Origin India thing was going on, but I am really disappointed that they added you have to be connected to the internet all the time to play, Sim City is a single player game and doesn't require other players in the region. Unless your playing with guys you know everyone will be building their own cities and not caring about the bigger 'region' picture which is needed in order to build all the big projects within the game.

The no pre-load is a piss take as well was really hoping to download it a couple of days before release so I could activate and play the game straight away, instead I will be spending Friday night downloading the game instead of playing it.

Last edited:
Can't play offline?! That's mental. even if my pc could run it I couldn't play it anyway.

I'll give the game a go, but imo Sim City 4 wasn't too broken, and I really wished they'd built on that, rather than focussing on the social side of things.

I still enjoy SC4 and will probably keep playing it for a while.

Ok, it seems most people can no start pre-loading theirs now, a couple of mates who brought of Green Man Gaming can now pre-load their Sim City, but for some reason I can't suppose that is the problem after buying it from Origin India.

Is anyone else able to start pre-loading?

I can't download yet? I can't see anywhere to let me download it anyway, this is my first game on Origin.

But I just went to my games and clicked on it and it won't let me do anything it just says 'not yet released'

I can't download yet? I can't see anywhere to let me download it anyway, this is my first game on Origin.

But I just went to my games and clicked on it and it won't let me do anything it just says 'not yet released'

Did you preorder the game from Origin?

OK, I am not so worried now then.
All the people I know have pre-ordered from Green Man Gaming and Simply Games and already have product keys, mine just says XXX-XXX for the product key.

OK, I am not so worried now then.
All the people I know have pre-ordered from Green Man Gaming and Simply Games and already have product keys, mine just says XXX-XXX for the product key.

Yeah same here, bit crappy we can't download it now though, if others can.

Look at me considering that PC now :P
<3 Sim City, if my note can't handle it, I'll save some money for a desktop, will ban people from using it for facebook though.

I just pre-loaded it as well, I don't know how the game works exactly, as the pre-load files were only 218MB.

I just pre-loaded it as well, I don't know how the game works exactly, as the pre-load files were only 218MB.

That's just the Maxis launcher. Once you run that, it'll download the rest of the files.

Fancied a quick go (using VPN), 18 minute wait because the server is busy :(

Absolutely piss poor from EA. Surely they're one of the companies in the world who could afford as many servers as they want?

Seems every time I try to join a server, it's busy with a 19 minute wait. I've just got into server 1 ... get to the main menu and a message appears saying the servers are unavailable so the play button doesn't do anything anyway.

Utterly useless, EA.

Is that the UK or US version Dags?

Got the UK version today, not had chance to play it yet as we have people round! Annoying, cant wait!

Is that the UK or US version Dags?

Got the UK version today, not had chance to play it yet as we have people round! Annoying, cant wait!

UK, but it's pretty much region free anyway as it includes all languages.

Hardly anyone can get onto the servers. You can't even do the tutorial unless you can connect to a server. The whole thing is a mess.

I find it crazy that I can't play a single-player game due to EA's crap servers. It sounded like Diablo 3's launch was bad but this is a whole new level.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/8/407...y-marketing-campaigns-asks-affiliates-to-stop

Back
Top Bottom