Should players be payed so much money?

Neoexodus

SLB Juve Barça Arsenal
8 November 2007
Portugal
Here is the question:

Should players be paid the double just because they play a game instead of being in front of a secretary writing/signing papers for the sake of a company/comunity/state/country? Should entertainment be this high paid? Or should players receive the same in every club they enter? Would we stop seeing mercenaries that move from club to club just to be better paid and instead they would because of the clubs name/plans? Would we start to see, again, champions leagues with clubs like Lazio, Parma, Monaco or Stuttgard replacing the modern high clubs? Would a wage/salary cap be well accepted in modern football? :THINK:
Discuss.

They're paid that high because there is someone willing to pay them, I see no problem in that.

++

as long as we, the fans, and big sponsors in general invest the money into football the clubs are able to pay what they are currently paying.

so why not? it keeps us entertained and i have no problem with it at all.

you could ask the same about actors or any other sports stars. the answer (for me) is allways the same.

Yep, I "fourth" that.
Thing is: I'd take the money anytime and sure would use a lot of it to help out family, friends and people in need in general. (What a whole lot, if not most of the well paid pros do, too, by the way)
I'm actually quite certain a lot of this money is in better hands once passed down from the club to their players - not all, but buckets of it. ;)

i can't stand it when people compare the money footballers get to the salaries of doctors and normal people in normal jobs. The fact is there's a lot of money in football as an industry. If the money didn't go to the players it'd end up in the arse pockets of executives and board members so why not go to the lads who are actually doing the work.

But, there is a few fatal flaws in this game, such as contracts. In very few industries do you sign a contract which stipulates you'll work for the same company for several years, besides the military i can't think of many. But in the military you sign a contract saying you'll work/fight for 7/9/12 years or whatever, and you have to stick to it barring certain circumstances, in football you sign a 5 year contract and as long as you have the money and a clever agent you can get out of it whenever you want.

We're at a stage now where only the top 6-7 clubs in the world can sign quality players because the rest can't afford the wages or the signing on fee. It's not just the likes of Kaka and Ronaldo, look in the Premier League, there's players going for between £15m and £20m who 6 or 7 years ago would have been worth no more than maybe £10m the likes of Darren Bent, Jo, Bosingwa, Nani etc. Some of whom are decent but all are overpriced because because the owner club knows the buyer will pay it.

I think there has to be a wage cap set at some point to stop players switching clubs simply to earn more money, there's very little loyalty in the game at the minute, a lot of the top players have no dignity and no shame and will go wherever they're going to get the biggest cheque, and where their trophy wife/slag can buy the most clothes.

Surely some of the players give away great amounts of money for social purposes, like Zanetti of Inter and a lot of others..

Indeed I still think it's not fair that some football players get paid as much as they are. I'm not saying it's wrong (unless a team doesn't go bankrupt, nothing is wrong) but it's somehow unfair.

Maybe it's me but I can't find the "usefulness" of such high wages (not only for football players but only for politicians and top managers for example): having a big estate with a private shore or a Maserati doesn't make you a better person you know.. But it's something that goes OT so I won't discuss it here..

And well, I also hope that one day clubs like Atalanta will make it to the Champions League.. They have probably the best youth system in Italy, but just can't afford some wages so they are somehow "forced" to sell their best players to "better" teams year in year out, and this is something unfair too.

The problem is that football works with that money,
I heard that Real work at a +300mi Euros a year, so why can't they pay 90 for Ronaldo.
I quote RuneEdge, don't hate the player, hate the game.

can't get myself to hate the game either. it's how it developed over the past years and given that pretty much everything that was "just fun" like 30 years ago became sort of an industry this is no exception. i can't hate what i love just because they are talking about amounts of money i will not earn in my whole life.

i say enjoy the game, ignore the money. :)

can't get myself to hate the game either. it's how it developed over the past years and given that pretty much everything that was "just fun" like 30 years ago became sort of an industry this is no exception. i can't hate what i love just because they are talking about amounts of money i will not earn in my whole life.

i say enjoy the game, ignore the money. :)

You took it literally mate, by hate the game I mean more like blame the game.
I cant hate the game either, USA and Spain today prove it.
But by each day we will get less and less smaller clubs.
Rephrasing: Don't blame the players, blame the game :COOL:

Well the problem is that small clubs will only take part on the game if the yhave a new talent to sell to a big club. If they don't the club will most likely fail (just like whats happening here in Portugal) so in some years from now (and by the looks of it, not too far away) we won't have that many small clubs and we are sure not to see one of those reaching a final phase of a CL or Europa cup as they won't be capable of saying "no" to a 10M offer from a rich club that fills a players mind with money.
IMO thats sad and is ruining the game all together, unless Mr. Platini makes something about it, this must end soon small clubs don't have to be modern day academies just because they didn't have the support of a big company 50 years ago that helped the club to buy huge names and conquer a spot in the highlights of Europe. Unless a really harsh mesure is taken we won't see any improval, and honestly im sick of seeing the same clubs over and over again winning things in europe, its always the same thing after groups phase, in Europe we do HAVE more clubs not only ManU Chelsea Liverpool Barcelona etc etc etc, we could have a quarter final of Deportivo, Sampdoria, Benfica and other that were big years ago but now due to not having Bank supports like other do can't fight for a spot in any major league.
Platini needs to sort this out asap!

Well the problem is that small clubs will only take part on the game if the yhave a new talent to sell to a big club. If they don't the club will most likely fail (just like whats happening here in Portugal) so in some years from now (and by the looks of it, not too far away) we won't have that many small clubs and we are sure not to see one of those reaching a final phase of a CL or Europa cup as they won't be capable of saying "no" to a 10M offer from a rich club that fills a players mind with money.
IMO thats sad and is ruining the game all together, unless Mr. Platini makes something about it, this must end soon small clubs don't have to be modern day academies just because they didn't have the support of a big company 50 years ago that helped the club to buy huge names and conquer a spot in the highlights of Europe. Unless a really harsh mesure is taken we won't see any improval, and honestly im sick of seeing the same clubs over and over again winning things in europe, its always the same thing after groups phase, in Europe we do HAVE more clubs not only ManU Chelsea Liverpool Barcelona etc etc etc, we could have a quarter final of Deportivo, Sampdoria, Benfica and other that were big years ago but now due to not having Bank supports like other do can't fight for a spot in any major league.
Platini needs to sort this out asap!

Is this bad? There are rich and there are poor, and it's always going to be this way. The richer you are, the more powerful you get. There are some exceptions of course, but in general the tendency's there.

The good thing about footie is that money won't always buy you the win, there is still a human factor. But I can't understand the idea why everyone should be put in the same conditions just for sake of justice. And I don't really see how this 'justice' thing is even fair, it's not only about money, it's about talent, managerial skills, wise transfer policy, good understanding of economic laws. If you can combine all of these, success will come, and with it money will. There are many examples of poor clubs becoming rich and even more stories of rich clubs becoming poor, it's quite natural, I guess.

No and probably one of the reasons why I hate some aspects of football but then again players have to make a living.

Nope, football will eat itself eventually...

I coùpletly agree with that statement.
I've nothing against those extravagant salries if all clubs could afford to play them. At the moment there is very limited real competition.
Only the big leaguz clubs can afford those salaries (and attract big players) and in those leagues there is not enough competition. Look at the winners: always the same clubs.
It's hard to imagine now, but football will implode if the unfair competition isn't changed. I think Platini is the right person to do it.

He should look for inspiration to American sports...i won't elaborate because that would be for the zillionth time and i don't wanna bore you...

One example Lyon-Anderlecht. Lyon payed 24 million euro for Lisandro alone, that's more than the entire cost of the Anderlecht team...enough said. This not an excuse for the way Lyon ridiculized Anderlecht, but it explains why there is a big gap...now and then there are encouraging tendencies, but they are one offs (Porto winning the CL but afterwards loosing all his good players...).

I wouldn't pay them so much, but if someone else is stupid enough to do it then there's no reason for players not to accept it.

I was thinking, would a salary cap create a huge wave of protests by the players? Would the "mercenaries" create a revolution against that decision?

Yesterday's talents weren't getting paid as much as today's "talents". That is included in every aspect in entertainment and sports, as long as the game is rolling like this it will be very hard to see big talents these days...

Back
Top Bottom