Shenmue HD (XBLA/PSN)

Scutch

Futsal Master
31 October 2006
Cumbria, UK
Tottenham Hotspur
http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/122/1220936p1.html

A new report is claiming that Sega has been sitting on finished HD remakes ofShenmue and Shenmue II for over a year, waiting for an apt release window.

GamerZines cites a person with "ties to Sega" as the source of this information. "Shenmue HD is real [and has been] finished for well over a year, as is Shenmue II HD," says the source.

The reason for the delay, evidently, has been uncertainty over the series' future and whether Shenmue III would ever happen (short answer: no). The HD remakes are reportedly headed to PSN and XBLA.

With Jet Set Radio heading to Xbox Live, and re-releases (not remakes) of Sonic Adventure, Space Channel 5 and Crazy Taxi already widely available, it's not absolutely out of the question that Shenmue I and II might make their way to modern consoles after all. Shenmue II was remade for the original Xbox in 2002 following a Dreamcast release the previous year.

In their day, the Shenmue games were amongst the most ambitious video games ever made, featuring huge, living cities - Sega's Yakuza series is often considered their spiritual successor. If an HD remake does indeed exist, would Shenmue stand the test of time?

Loved the first but it was pretty slow from what I remember, Can't remember the second though. Jet set radio is out soon too I remember enjoying that on the dreamcast.

Back
Top Bottom