Sevilla's Puerta had two cardiac arrests... and didn't make it.

3m1n3m

The Benfica guy
2 June 2005
Portugal
Benfica
Just read on Marca.com that Antonio Puerta fell on the pitch and had two cardiac arrests, one on the pitch and another one in the locker-room.

Please, spanish friends, keep us up to date on his condition!

Go Puerta :( Get well soon! First the man, then the footballer.

Last edited:
Re: Sevilla's Puerta had two cardiac arrests on game with Getafe

Shit two heart attacks and still alive! :shock:

I hope he gets better but he'll never play football anymore, I guess! :(

Scared the hell out of me. Glad he's allright

When he fell down in his own penalty area was a scary moment. Thank god Drago and the medical staff were very responsive and prevented him from swallowing his tongue.

I hope he's ok.

Hear the terrible news today and I really hope that he is ok..

Was watching the match yesterday and I almost $hit myself watching!

I was VERY f'n worried for him for a few seconds! Bad memories came to my head immediately.

Thank god Ivica Dragutinovic very quickly realized what had happened and got to him asap. The physios also ran their ass off to help him.

The club president, Jose Mario del Nido as well some of the players and staff have accompanied him to hospital.

They say, his situation is still 'very serious' but it's looking more favourable.

After the 4-1 win against Getafe, Sevilla manage, Juande Ramos only had these words to say: "The result doesn't concern me. All our thoughts is with Antonio and we hope he gets better soon".

Furthermore, AC Milan have sent the club a letter, wishing Puerta the best ahead of the two sides' clash on Wednesday in European Super Cup at Monaco.

I hope Antonio gets better soon. Very talented player. Versatile and still young.

Was it two heart attacks ? I read he had an heart attack on the pitch and later collapsed in the dressing room

Did the Betis fans really do what they said they'll do? I read somewhere that in their away match today they were going to put up banners saying something like: "Antonio, we are human after all and our rivalry means nothing when it comes to a person's life. Get well soon." If they did it's a very nice gesture.

I also heard the whole Sevilla team, Julio Baptista, Sergio Ramos and other of Puerta's friends got to the hospital after their matches and stood with him for the whole night.

Just read he didn't have two, but FIVE cardiac arrests in the last 36 hours. He's still in critical condition, and may have brain damage after being so long deprived of O2 in his brain. Still needing ventilation and sedation.

As it says in today's edition of Marca...

Todos Somos Puerta

(We are all Puerta)

I'm worried guys. :| :( :cry:

Wow, this is so scary :(

I was shit scared when he fell down, but I hoped it wasn't anything major. But FIVE cardiac arrests in the past 36 hours :eek::( I am praying that he will be fine

According to Marca, the last medical report indicates that he is still in critical condition and his brain is suffering. :(:(

I'm praying bro. Believe me, been praying ever since it happened. :|

The thing that saddens me is, even if he DOES get to live and even if there are no damages to his brain, from what my brother tells me (I hope he's wrong), Antonio's footballing career would still be over. It'd be too risky for him to get on the field again and play at the highest level with so much pressure like he does.

What a waste as well. A talented 22-year old left-footer who had broken through Sevilla's senior squad in the past couple years and was very close to Spanish national team as well despite Spain's abundance of quality in midfield and Sevilla's undoubted quality in midfield as well.

He was not too long ago linked to Man Utd and Real Madrid as well but being the true Sevillista he is, he said he's prefer to stay right where he is, if it was up to him.

at 22 years old healthy as an ox...It really shows we`re not in control of are destination I hope his parents and family finds peace...and get well soon

Yeah, his career could well be over if he survives and there's no damage to his brains. I read somewhere that some player had similar complications and in the end he was given a pacemaker and his career was over.

Well, I'm hoping he even survives without and damage. 5 heart attacks in 36 hours is a lot.

Anyway, I just can't stop thinking about how he's doing. I'm constantly browsing Slovenian forums and football related sites to get any info at all. I haven't found anything on BBC or SkySports and I don't know any Spanish.

Antonio's footballing career would still be over

italian television is saying he has a cardiac arrhythmia, specifically a ventricular arrhythmia. If that's true, he won't be able to play anymore, i'd say that's pretty sure, no federation would aver take such a big risk.

what i really can't understand is how on the earth sevilla medical staff didn't notice it before. just one simple electrocardiogram was needed to discover it.
i can just think that maybe he didn't have any arrhythmia before this incident... maybe everything started last week end.

anyway if all those 5 cardiac arrests were due to an arrhythmia, this must be the biggest arrhythmia ever seen, as 5 cardiac arrests in 3 days are of course everything but normal, even for a man with a tough ventricular arrhytmia.

i really feel for this guy and for his family... in 1 month he will become a father as his wife\girlfriend is pregnant...
one entire life spent to pursue a dream, an entire childhood spent working and sacrifying yourself and your family just to become a professional footballer.... and then once u finally get it, once u become one of the most promising side players (in a country with a great tradition of side players) the sky collapse on u and your family...

anyway the only thing that really matters now is to see him opening his eyes again (as he's under pharmacological coma at the moment).

Last edited:

By the way, what do guys think about Dani Alves' behaviour with Puerta's life still being in danger? The team would need all the team spirit at the moment and Dani refuses to go to Greece for their CL qualifier against AEK because Sevilla refused to let him go.

After all he signed a new deal until 2012 recently.

edit: Can somebody please translate this?

puerta.jpg

puerta2.jpg

Last edited:

its looks not very promising guys, if there are damages in his brain. :(

come on antonio, we are waiting for you!

dont accept your fate and kick it like you did against schalke last year in the uefa cup semi-final when your team reached the final and got the cup.

Wasn't that great goal against Schalke, not in last year's UEFA cup, but the year prior, Ernie? :-s ;)

I think it was. They beat Schalke and then thrashed M'boro in the final.

If memory serves me correctly, in last season's UEFA cup which they won AGAIN, they beat Tottenham, Shakhtar, Osasuna in semi's and then again another Spanish team, Espanyol in the finals.

Anyway, I like your avatar Total. I'll temporarily change mine as well as a tribute for him. I really do wish him the best but like lo zio said, even if he DOES get to live on with no brain damages, it's still such a sad story. :(

thats why i said last year PLF, i mean 2006. :)

just watched the video on youtube :(

thats why i said last year PLF, i mean 2006. :)
Oh I see, what you meant now. :)

just watched the video on youtube :(

The goal or the moment of collapse? :(

What a nice goal that was too. Sweet left foot of Puerta.

I'd like to see the goal guys. So we can think of happy moments for now instead of being sad. :|

edit: Can somebody please translate this?

puerta.jpg

puerta2.jpg

YESTERDAY
22:29
Puerta falls on the pitch, loosing consciousness. his teammates are soon worried and the whole stadium get terrifyingly silent.

22:31
sevilla's doctors help him regaining consciousness and ask for a substitution soon.

22:37
Once in the dressing room, puerta has a second fainting. the doctors say it is an heart attack and use a defibrillator.

22:45
sooner they take puerta to the hospital "virgen del rojo" in sevilla and he gets hospitalized with urgency.

22:53
puerta has another cardiac arrest, and his conditions get worst. the doctors put him in a pharmacological coma to preserve his vital functions (i'm almost sure that UCI means pharmacological coma).

TODAY

02:00
First report of the doctors. the hospital doctors say puerta has some importan blood circulation problems. his conditions are very dangerous and unstable.

02:10
during the whole day his teammates, the coach, his family and friends went to the hospital to see him and support him.

13:00
the second report of the sevilla hospital doctors isn't better than the previous.- they say he is still under pharmacological coma, some machines help him to breathe and the situation is still unstable.

p.s. this evening italian tv said his conditions are now stable, but he's still risking his life. :(

Last edited:

[-o<

Man i just watched the video of the incident on youtube it's horrible. Lucky that Dragutinovic was quick to react. Hope he gets better.

@lo zio, thanks for the translation.

@Ernestito and Total, thanks for the vids.

The one with the pictures brought tears to my eyes ( :cry: )and I felt weird after it because I haven't cried for so long, I can not remember when the last time I did it was..... :shock:

And that goal against Schalke was a great one that we won't forget for quite awhile, will we?

Long live Antonio Puerta. I hope he recovers and there are no damages to his brain. Even if the talented 22 year old's footballing career, dreams and hopes will be ruined, as long as he comes out of this a healthy human being again, it's still a dream come true! [-o< [-o< [-o<
By the way, what do guys think about Dani Alves' behaviour with Puerta's life still being in danger? The team would need all the team spirit at the moment and Dani refuses to go to Greece for their CL qualifier against AEK because Sevilla refused to let him go.

After all he signed a new deal until 2012 recently.

Forget about Alves for now. We can't just trust media and what they say. Look at this reply from him to Del Nido's attacks on him, today. Seems reasonable enough and a good professional.

My real question is about Sevilla's team spirit as a whole right now.

Will this tragedy make them unite more and be stronger on the pitch? Or will it mean they'll be distracted, weak mentally and not ready for clashes of highest quality like the one they'll have tomorrow going to a tough stadium to play at in Greece.

Without all this BS, Sevilla is a real candidate for me to go faaaaaaar in CL this year and even has what it takes to win it.

But with all this stuff that's happened now, I worry for them. I think, they may not even be mentally in a good enough shape to get through this CL qualifier 2nd leg (although they have the aggregate lead going into this) to get through the group stages.

Oh well, we shall see in about 12 hours or so I guess. They should get through. But will they? After all this? And all the players and even ex players and friends like Baptista and Sergio Ramos, as well as team staff like manager spending time in hospital and in a depressing mood rather than training as hard as they should've been and drawing plans for AEK?

We shall see...

Yeah, his career could well be over if he survives and there's no damage to his brains. I read somewhere that some player had similar complications and in the end he was given a pacemaker and his career was over.

Well, I'm hoping he even survives without and damage. 5 heart attacks in 36 hours is a lot.

Anyway, I just can't stop thinking about how he's doing. I'm constantly browsing Slovenian forums and football related sites to get any info at all. I haven't found anything on BBC or SkySports and I don't know any Spanish.

That's the first thing that came to my mind when I read that he had 5 heart attacks was that, his football career is over but right now I just wish that he will be ok. [-o<

I'm checking the news constantly too to see how he is but there isn't much info about his status.

lo zio said:
i really feel for this guy and for his family... in 1 month he will become a father as his wife\girlfriend is pregnant...
one entire life spent to pursue a dream, an entire childhood spent working and sacrifying yourself and your family just to become a professional footballer.... and then once u finally get it, once u become one of the most promising side players (in a country with a great tradition of side players) the sky collapse on u and your family...

What you said right here lo zio is everything that went through my mind when I heard about this.. :cry:

So not only is his promising football career over he's also going to be a father in 1 month? :shock: :cry:

I always enjoyed watching him play in Sevilla and this really sadens me that something like this happened to a such a promising football player..

Terrible news...
I saw the video of the incident and was deeply touched.
I think his carreer is over now, but at the moment that is not the most important thing, let's hope he survives...
I have the same reaction as lo zio, what about the responsability of Sevilla's medical staff???? If i see images like that, i can't help thinking about performance enhancing drugs...i know it's a long shot, but it's a fact that they are used in in Spanish football.
In 2006 the Guardia Civil did a raid on the medical cabinet of a doctor Puerto in Madrid. They found frozen blood with epo. Since then it is a well known fact that the best cyclists in the world where among Puerto's customers. Their names are known, but it was also said that there were Spanish football teams among Puerto's customers...
I love Sevilla, they are one of my favourite teams the last years, they play spelendid football but i can't helping thinking about performance enhncing drugs...in the 90's quite a few Belgian cyclists died after "incidents" like what happened to poos Antonio Puerta...i hope i'm wrong though...

About PLF's question about Sevilla's team spirit...i think this will have a very strong bond between the players as a result (unless Sevilla's medical staff is to be blamed)...

Well let's think about Puerta...

Back
Top Bottom