Sensible World Of Soccer (Xbox 360)

i know its stupit question, but is this game any good? coz i never played Sensible World Of Soccer before, playng it live should be interesting if the gameplay is fun, thanks in advance

it was brilliant back in the day, circa 1992-4.

along with civilisation, they were pretty much the only games me and my room-mate ever played for 2 whole years on my amiga, and on the monitor, it looked fantastic too.

sensi was the best game ever, BUT the learning curve was steep. to truly master the game took a loooooooong time. gradually i would score a goal, but still get humped, then managed to scrape a draw, then the odd win, then after about a year, i was pretty much unbeatable and used to think that i must be the best sensi player ever, and i mean EVER!

to this day, i can't ever recall being beaten by a human (although my room-mate at the time might argue against that!) but i do remember taking a good humping when i played my mate on the megadrive version years later, but that was only because i didn't have my trusty old joystick! actually, the joystick issue worries me now because i remember being useless at controlling the after-touch on the megadrive, although to be honest, i didn't really play that version too much. i hope that the stick on the joypad will allow the same level of control as my old competition pro joystick...

simply, the game was the greatest footie game ever, until iss pro came out on the ps1 - my fond memories have been tarnished by some of the dross released since - psx sensi anybody???

if they leave it totally untouched, and just update the graphics as it seems they have done, then i am expecting special things from it over xbox live. i just hope i can take even a fraction of the enjoyment from it now that i'm 34, that it gave me way back when i was 20...

Last edited:
GameSpot 1st June
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/spo...ct=convert&om_clk=mostpop&tag=mostpop;title;1

It's fair to say that thanks to Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade and the Nintendo Wii's Virtual Console, we're seeing a lot of old games these days that many of us thought were consigned to the history books. Perhaps some games should have been, but Codemasters has delved deep into the rich tapestry of UK gaming history to pull out something of a classic.

Sensible World of Soccer first made its debut on the Commodore Amiga platform back in 1994 and developed the already popular Sensible Soccer franchise into something rather more far-reaching. By taking the existing gameplay and league structures, it added basic management options, as well as every professional club and national team in the world. It also included all of the correct names and basic facial characteristics for each player. Well, skin and hair colour, anyway.

In addition to a multitude of league or cup options, you could play as any team in any league and buy or sell players (whose value would change according to your performances) across a career spanning many in-game years. You could choose to play every match and attempt the ultimate feats of football brilliance by relying on your own joystick skills or just let the CPU manager take control instead. It was the best soccer game of its day, without a doubt.

After having played the slightly disappointing Sensible Soccer update that was released for the Xbox and PlayStation 2 last year, it was with some trepidation that we jumped into a multiplayer session of SWOS. While the initial adjustment period of getting used to playing a soccer game using just the analogue stick and a single button for all actions took a bit of time, once we got back into the swing of things, it was as if the past decade had never happened.

Compared to football games nowadays, the basic game is really just that: basic. Your players, almost matchstick in their graphical makeup, run around the pitch in one of eight directions, and only the best of them have the skill required to control the ball effectively. This means that, superstars aside, half of the work involved in the game is coaxing the ball up or down the pitch toward your desired goal.

Passing is haphazard at best, with successful connections only really made if another player on your team is almost exactly in line with the ball's path. The only real finesse the game contains is the degree of after-touch swerve that you can apply to long passes or shots. But that's just the way it should be because Codemasters hasn't tinkered with the gameplay at all, and it's great fun.

In fact, you can play the game in the exact form it was originally shipped, although it will also be possible to play in an enhanced mode. This mode basically tidies up some of the rough edges and applies more up-to-date Codemasters-related advertising hoardings. It also adds other bits and pieces, such as deteriorating pitches. The player data is all taken from the 1996-7 edition of the game and the relevant team rosters of the time, which brings back a few memories. However, it's unlikely that the XBLA game will feature the appropriate licences, so expect Sensible versions of all of those player names.

As part of the upgrade process, SWOS will include the standard array of achievement points for completing various challenges within the game. It will also support full online multiplayer options, although that needn't stop you from hosting those SWOS parties that seemed so much fun back in the day.

The final release date for the game hasn't been confirmed just yet, and there are still one or two tweaks that are being made to the code. But from what we've seen so far, the SWOS experience of 2007 is an authentic one, and after a few games, potentially addictive too! Keep an eye out for more on SWOS in the coming months.

Looking forward to this, though I don't have a 360, hopefully the younger cousins will show me if they get it, wonder if Ronaldo can be sent on as a sub and becomes speedy, like he did in SWOS 96/97 wasn't it. :roll: Anyone ever do that? Those were the days. :8):

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=78471

The past can be such a sullied, thankless place to go and visit, especially during a blazing hot day in June. If you're not already minging with clammy anticipation, by the end of the experience you're spitting feathers with unquenched nostalgia, wondering how the passage of time could be so remorselessly disrespectful to our memories.

Advertisement
The key to the past is knowing where to look and what to look for. In videogaming circles, reverence for its history is never a straightforward thing to signpost to unwary travellers eager to find out what they missed or to rediscover the things they once loved. It's a Gordian knot of emotions, personal associations and - very often - misguided popular opinion.

But if any opinion deserves to be popular, it's the long-cherished notion that Sensible World of Soccer remains untainted by the passage of time. A true classic that remains as beautifully playable today as it did over a decade ago.

The past can't come soon enough
That's no dewy-eyed recollection, either, because a couple of weeks back I was fortunate enough to be one of the very first people outside of Codemasters to play an "almost finished" build of the game, based on the definitive 96/97 version that was the result of five solid years of tweaks and refinements to the already wonderful 1992 original.

Wisely, the game looks, feels and plays absolutely identically to how you remember it - which is no surprise when you realise that the game is built using the same codebase used for the 96/97 version. Rather than try and cobble together an approximation from the ground up, this is as close to the the real deal as humanly possible, complete with the same fonts, same visuals and even the same menus, sound effects and music. It's such a perfect tribute to the brilliance of the original that you'll want to pull your shirt over your head and run around the room screaming with pure joy.

As with many Xbox Live titles, the game comes in classic and 'enhanced' flavours. But what's surprising is how much the enhanced version looks like the game you have in your mind's eye. Rather than try and mess around with the graphics too much, it's an extremely respectful update that captures the essence of the original's deliberately simplified visuals.

Big heads come in handy
Product placement ahoy!
Those coming to the game for the first time might stare at the screen with a look of bemusement that something like this can still cause so much fuss after all this time. The cute but utterly rudimentary little men parading with minimal animation across the pitch are endearingly hilarious in the light of today's uber-realistic players, but no less capable of banging in spectacular goals after a 15-move passing extravaganza. As ever, all you can do to anyone who thinks it looks like a pile of old crap is hand them a pad. And a pizza. And a few cans of beer. Your Friday nights might never be the same again. (Unfortunately the build shown to us wasn't functional in the classic mode, but we were assured that the visuals were left exactly as they were in the Amiga version if users really want to play it as Jon Hare and co. intended.)

Now, just as it was then, any lingering doubts about how such a simple-looking game can be any good generally melt away once the controller's in your hands. The ease of passing, the satisfying ability to cross and lob at will, and the wicked aftertouch quickly contribute toward its being one of the most satisfying interpretations of football you'll ever see. Interpretation is a key word here, because it's a game within a game: true fantasy football come to life and more fun, in my opinion, than any simulation has managed since.

After a few minutes of readjustment to the nuances of the Xbox 360 pad, you'll be jinking around, threading passes with swift fluidity, pulling off frenzied sliding tackles that seem to go on forever, and lofting curling cross-field passes straight to your on rushing forward to do a ludicrous diving header on goal from 15 yards out. No-one would ever suggest it's realistic, but it's pure, uncomplicated fun.

Over too soon
Moments before the banana shot arrowed into the top corner.
Having only managed to squeeze in two five-minute games before we were whisked away elsewhere within Codemasters' labyrinthine complex, it's fair to say we can't expand upon the finer details of the game. What we did manage to discern, though, is that the game appears to feature the exact same menus available in 96/97, just as you'd expect. Nothing that was in that game appears to have been arbitrarily taken away, so there's no need to ask us "is that funny team in there?" or "can do the editing and management stuff" because the answer will almost certainly be yes. It's the same game, with the same menus, the same fonts, teams, options and gameplay. In simple terms it comes with an enhanced graphical makeover, plus the ability to play one-on-one online. That's all it needed to do to satisfy most fans, we're sure. Whether there are more options yet to be revealed, we'll find out soon enough.

Meanwhile, the most important piece of information you'll want to glean is "when's it out?" and "how much will it cost?". At present, it's looking like a late July release via Xbox Live Arcade, with a PC release planned for later in the year - possibly September, but more likely later. As revealed previously, PC and 360 gamers will be able to face-off online, which should be fun. Other details like Achievement points and such like remain unconfirmed at present, but a press event scheduled for next week should reveal all.

Join us on the next page as the game's original design guru Jon Hare faces a grilling from the forumites.

Eurogamer Q&A
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=78471&page=2

Eurogamer: Can I have managers, ball boys, players warming up, cameramen, photographers, etc?
Jon Hare: It is like the Amiga 96/97 version of SWOS. If you play against someone online then it is like the Amiga 96/97 version of SWOS with two joysticks plugged in. So, no to everything except management

Eurogamer: What's the date of release please?
Jon Hare: Erm, later this year...

Eurogamer: Is it going to have the full edit mode like the Amiga version?
Jon Hare: You can make all the teams you want, just like the good old days.

Eurogamer: And will it have the daftly named teams and players too?
Jon Hare: I jolly well hope so. Kebab Shop and Essex Girls do it for me every time.

Eurogamer: Will there be updated (current) leagues, teams and rosters for the Xbox Live version as downloadable content?
Jon Hare: Not officially no, I don't think so.

Eurogamer: Will there be multiplayer tournaments organised?
Jon Hare: Oh yes I hope so...there are already many around the world on other formats.

Eurogamer: Are you a FIFA man or a Pro Evo man at heart?
Jon Hare: Evo

Eurogamer: How difficult was/is it mapping the control mechanism to the 360 pad, as SWOS is all about precision?
Jon Hare: It has mapped really well. It's not so different from old console and '96 versions - now a DS would be harder!

Last edited:
That Jon Hare bloke doesnt give much away does he?

When is it going to be release?

Jon Hare: Errmmm, Later this year..

That doesnt really tell people much does it? I am glad though that its the original Classic SWOS from 96/97. cant wait!

I hope that DS comment hits that they are possibly thinking about developing a DS version.

i'd love to see a ds version, but that's what they said about the gameboy advance. that was litterally crying out for a port of sensi, and unbelievably - it never materialised!

they could have made a small fortune with a gba version...

Damn.. got a PS3 with no games worth getting, now I'm going to have to get a 360 to play the same game I still play on my old Amiga.. ;) Not sure how it will be without a Joystick, not sure I'll be able to use the analogue's?
Hope they have kept the 96/97 players in but with a full edit facility not just for the pointless fictional teams!
Wonder whats in store for the next decade, playing retro Pes06 on the PS5 or the Xbox Zazoom.:D

What SWOS game had the intro where Jon Hare and the team met the "Queen" before a match? God I loved that intro, beats the shit out of all the PES/FIFA ones.

Official release date has now been confirmed as the 29th of August, dam that seems a long time off

Achievments
achievements.jpg

Smacks of oversize heads again djdoc, SWOS in it's day was the best football Sim going (imagine that).. I'm just glad they are including an untouched version, I fear the updated version will let you play with a team of penguins or the goals will explode if you hit the right spot! I wish they would of spent the time just improving it not kiddy fying it!!

They're just silly graphics for the achievements Nick, it's not like they're in-game shots or anything. And they always have to put "score ten goals in one game" as an achievement, it's just one of those things.

that's pretty much all they could put in, i suppose...

who cares anyway. i'll be busy handing out thrashings to care about achievments!

Back
Top Bottom