Sacking Fergie?!

There so many stupid people on this thread I dont want ot reply but as a genuine united fan (we won the league in 93 not 92 hutch you idiot), who goes to games, and from manchester I thought I would shed some grey matter.

1. Feguson wont get sacked. He's on a year long rolling contract now. He will hand the club over to Queiroz (undoubted favourite) when he retires.

2. Fergie is absolutely the right man for the job. Yes his decisions and selection policy are baffling at times, but his role is man management, Queiroz does all the training, and the majority of tactics etc.

3. Yes Milan played excellently twice, and deserved to go through. There is a fine line, and whilst the best team won, if Scholes had buried that chance or Fortunes shot not gone inches wide who knows what would of happened. Add a fit van Nistelrooy into the mix and it could of been different. Of course a fit Shevchenko for Milan is also a counter argument.

4. Mourinho and good old Porto. But for a linesmans wrong offside calling at Old Trafford to deny Scholes' clear goal, we would of gone through. Jose wouldnt of been flavour of the month, and Chelsea would probably of appointed ex-player, and CL finalist (Possibly winner) Didier Deschamps. I have to say I think Mourinho is excellent, and seems to me to be everything you want in a united manager. That arrogance, and confidence, ability, and ability to make people hate his teams. Like it!

5. United may have under achieved, but we have been unlucky. The dortmund semi in particular in 97. We killed them but it wouldnt go in. Leverkusen, was nearly as bad a few years ago. The 1994 team would of at least got to the final had the foreigner rule not been in place. They were the best united side Ive ever seen.

6. Glazer wont get in here. Gill will tell him where to go, as he has done so far, and glazers financiers dont finance hostile takeovers so it should fingers crossed be ok. United wouldnt be united anymore without him.

7. The future. The current squad we have is excellent, we have the best finisher in Ruud, the two best, most exciting, kids, the worlds best defender in Rio etc etc. Then theres players like Giuseppe Rossi coming through who will be a star. The squad needs trimming of some dead wood, and 2-3 new players. Max.

8. Fergie knows what he's doing better than anyone else.

9. Oh and the team that did win the league in 93 was down to Fergie, not money. He spotted the bargains (e.g. Schmeichel, Bruce, Irwin, Eric etc), was able to nurture Giggs, and created a team, with a wonderful blend. Yes we paid comparatively big money for Ince and Pallister, but United won the League cos of hunger, and ability.

10. the FA Cup does count, people shouldnt be so greedy or cocky. I was well happy last year. Its the FA cup for fucks sake! Some little clubs like City havent won anything but some play off trophy for 29 years. :-)

stan are you for real?

beckham the only star we had under Ferguson? Are you retarded:

Robson, Whiteside, Giggs, Schmeichel, Cantona, Keane, Scholes, Rooney, Ronaldo, Ruud, Ferdinand? There are alot more I could add too.

Beckham isnt fit to lace Paul Scholes' boots. I'd have Kanchelskis over the media whore that is Beckham every day of the week.

oh and Mclaren is a coach by the way. like Queiroz. He didnt manage, he coached. Its why he coaches for the national team, and coaches Middlesborough. but he does everything else a manager would do too.

:applause: Thank You, Dangerous Dave. You couldnt have said it better (or less).

I am for real Dave.
I've been a (albeit Belgian, so for obvious reasons i've never been to Old trafford)a Man Utd fan for more than 30 years (don't ask me why, but isn't that always the case with fans???). I quit being a fan (but still like Man Utd alot) because the Man Utd after the treble was all about money and far less about football. To me the magic has gone, Man Utd has become a factory.
I respect you for what you are Dave: you are a genuine fan and seems to be the only real fan in this thread. You are the only one who knows what your talking about.
IMHO (yes humble to you Dave)things have cosiderably changed since that team with Irwin, Kanchelskis, Schmeichel, Ince and Giggs. United has always been a big club but since the mid nineties things have considerably changed in football. Due to the television rights (and good management) Man United has become the wealthiest club in the world. So IMHO it's time to reset the standards, being merely "the best English team" is far from good enough. As the most wealthy club in the world Man Untd should always be a contender for the CL...they failed to do that save for that one title in 1999 (and i was very lucky when they won it Dave). You mention bad luck...you could be right (although i'm not sure), but bad luck is not an argument for the most wealthy club in the world. They ar simply underachieving in Europe.
One thing i have to admit though, Man Utd is a club that does not do stupid things. On of these year the "football-as-big-business-bubble" will burst and lots of big clubs will suffer. United will not because they are a well run club and of course they are one the club with the biggest appeal in the world (that's why a guy from Belgium can be big fan of Man Utd).

Oh and Dave one more thing, to me there are maybe 20 better United players since the nineties than Beckham and to me Cantona, Schmeichel and Giggs are stars, but just face it...whether you like it or not (and i don't like it) Beckham is football biggest star and that twat in Madrid who does not care about football (Florentino Perez) has recognised the fact that Beckham is the Michael Jordan of the new millenium and bought him. Beckham is worth his price because of the merchandising (and far less on the field).

Last edited:
agreed 100% with your post mate, but regarding beckham, he was an immense player in his first 4 years. he peaked in 1999, and never quite reached his full potential. Im sure you get what i mean, as his status, and position of england captain, often belies his downhill curve as a footballer since 99.

lovely guy though when i met him. he used to live in my village, and i met him a few times. honestly. Shame he couldnt of been so honest when he left.

and im sorry if i was a bit high and mighty in my first post. I was in a bit of a mood anyway, and alot of the content in the thread got my blood boiling! Maybe im too passionate about united!!

No problem my friend...i used to be very passionate about United aswell (in this country most people don't like English football, probably something to do with Heysel).

Stan posting as Gerd (i'm one and the same person Dave).

vxnova said:
Who would you replace him with? I cant imagine anyone who can fill those shoes.

I can think of quite a few sutiable replacement, that spring immediately to mind as soon as I think about giving the Ferg the sack. Number one on my list would be Hoddle, Hoddle is great and given the money man yoo have he could work miracles and get them to achieve way beyond the piss weak level fergs has had them at for most of the past decade.

Second Peter Reid, people are always bad mouthing the man. But its not his fault he has had to work with shite teams with shite players who were destined to be relegated long before he got to the clun. The man is managerial genius and needs to be given a chance at a decent club that has had some past success. Man Yoo fits the bill.

Others in contention include peter schemical, eric cantona, george best and kevin keegan, their credentials speak for themselves. Fergs needs to go! give the man the sack and save us all the pain of watching him destroy what was formerly a great team. 8)

smango said:
I can think of quite a few sutiable replacement, that spring immediately to mind as soon as I think about giving the Ferg the sack. Number one on my list would be Hoddle, Hoddle is great and given the money man yoo have he could work miracles and get them to achieve way beyond the piss weak level fergs has had them at for most of the past decade.

Second Peter Reid, people are always bad mouthing the man. But its not his fault he has had to work with shite teams with shite players who were destined to be relegated long before he got to the clun. The man is managerial genius and needs to be given a chance at a decent club that has had some past success. Man Yoo fits the bill.

Others in contention include peter schemical, eric cantona, george best and kevin keegan, their credentials speak for themselves. Fergs needs to go! give the man the sack and save us all the pain of watching him destroy what was formerly a great team. 8)

Are you sick in the head!! Hoddle ,keegan??? these are men who all failed miserably coaching england and ruining clubs such as tottenham and man city. Cantona, schemical dont know shit about management and drunken george best i dont think so, you are chatting out of your arse and cleary know nothing about football and what it takes to be a manager.

Milanista said:
A good coach would have saved the teams 'destined to be relegated'.

No one could have saved Leeds Milanista. They were destined for self destruction. Peter Reid did what he could, but the ship was sunk.

Hoddle and Keegan worked womders at clubs that held little hope of a midtable they made the dreams of mid table finishes a possibility for that they should be congragulated and praised.

As for managing England thats another story, England are perenial under achievers who have achieved nothing since winning the world cup, it wouldn't matter who was in charge of England they would still be classed as failures. Hoddle was the best England manager in the past decade.

i dunno if im being really stupid and completely missing the sarcasm but smango are you seriously suggesting man u would be better off with hoddle instead of ferguson ????????????????

i farkin love hoddle but thats the craziest thing iv ever heard. imo, from what you see in the media hoddle is one of the most knowledgable people in football but he struggles to turn things around when there going bad (ie dip in form) and hes absolutely useless in the transfer market. i actually think he was a good england manager but you have to give venables the best manager of the last decade tag due to euro 96.

gerd, sorry to be pedantic but can I just pick you up on one thing ? you say you dont support utd anymore because they became too 'capitalised' which is a fair enuff comment but surely you must see that ferguson sold beckham as soon as he stopped producing the goods on the pitch and just became a 'media star'. imo that proves, to some extent atleast, that the football really is still whats important their. only just mind you but because of the power he holds their, that will probably change when ferguson goes.

I have to admit that you have a point faiers...by you have to agree that he sold Beckham to get the team more succesfull and so the financial giant Man Utd become more succesfull too (but i agree with you that that is not necessarily what Ferguson cares about).
I think i would become a Man Utd fan again if they would relegate or going through a really bad spell...for some strange reason i don't like my favourite teams to be too succesfull...and Man Utd is team that appeals enormously to me (1958, relegation in the 70's: i like fallen giants).
Furhtermore i have this (rather romantic) image of football as the people's game...The current Premiership is far from a people's game (and not only Man Utd). What i don't like is the fact that apart from Arsenal and recently Chelsea, United have no real opponents. I would love it if a promoted team would be a contender for the title or if teams like Portsmouth or Charlton could win the Premiership. The fact that it's a three horse race is due to the way the televison money is divided. The big clubs get richer and the others struggle to stay in the Premiership. Lower league clubs are poor and unforeseen relegation is a disaster (financial) due to the difference between the premiership clubs and the other clubs.

smango said:

surely a piss take, either that or you haven't got a clue

peter reid :lmao: as much as i'd love to see it it'll never happen, can't see united sacking fergie, as much as i don't like the guy i have to admit i respect what he's done for united although i do believe that he was lucky not be sacked in 1990, i was at old trafford when liverpool beat them 2-1 and the united fans were calling for his head, if they hadn't have gone on to win the cup then i think he would've gone

Imagine how many times Man Yo could have won the champions league, had the sacked Fergie back in 1990. Man Yo could possibly be the best team in the world right now instead of the 16th.

idiot.

united are where they are cos of the manager, and i doubt anyone could of come near to replicating the success he has had

Bollocks to that Dangerous Dave lay of the shrooms.

hey gerd, some good points there mate, you dont get to see that on this board these days ! =)

i completely agree with most the things you say and the premiership has gone beyond a joke this year. in all honesty as long as mourinho is at chelsea they will win 4 out of 5 titles atleast.

i admit tv money has got a lot to do with the way the league table looks but i genuinly believe that the main reason behind the man u/arsenal (and now chelsea) domination is to do with the managers. ferguson, wenger and now mourinho are just so far ahead of everyone else its ridicolous. man u have had a lot of money but i just cant beleive they would have had the same sort of success without fergusons motivation and ability to get the best out of players (theres no doubt he had the cash but if you look at his champions league winning team how many of those players were top world class players before they went to utd ?).

arsenal havnt really had any real financial advantage over quite a few teams in the premiership. liverpool, spurs and newcastle have all spent more money than they have since wengers been there. in terms of management though theyv just been light years ahead.

chelsea looked off the mark when ranieri was in charge and liverpool still dont look anything like title challengers at the moment despite getting an excellent coach and acquiring a lot of top class players for a lot of money (could arsenal have ever got alonso, cisse and morientes in a season ?). to be fair though if any team will break into the top 3 it will be liverpool.

sorry iv startec to babble big time. basically i reckon if man u or arsenal lost their manager they would struggle big time because at the moment thats what i think is keeping them up there. your never gonna get the likes of charlton and portsmouth challenging but teams with big fan bases like newcastle, liverpool and spurs easily have the potential to break in up there if they can match the management of those teams.

nice comment about man u being too succesful by the way. i cant imagine anything more boring than having your team win everygame 4 nil and expecting them to win the league every year. perhaps supporting tottenham for so long has turned me a bit saddistic but half the fun in supporting a team seems to be the fact you invest all your hopes and dreams in a bunch of useless to$$ers who let you down all the team which is why its so sweet when they do, do something.

sorry for going on !!

Definetly the balls in Man U's court and theres plenty of merit behind sacking the Fergstar!

Man U's loss to Norwich just goes to show you how tough it is being a football manager.One minute you are one of the best clubs in the world and the next minute your scratching your ass wondering how you lost to a bottom of the table team.Fergie has got alotta heart and he will bring Man U to glory once again.

No he won't, the disgraceful performance against Norwich is the final straw he needs to get the boot. Man Yo have lost fuckin second spot to the Arse and if there was more games remaining in the season the Scousers would probably over take us. Fergie has well and truely passed his used by date, its time to bin the old fella.

But next season is definately his last chance. If we fail again, I'm sure Fergie himself will resign.

Back
Top Bottom