Rui Costa - The Last Game

SPiTFiRE

Eusébio forever
6 April 2004
SL Benfica
Today at 20:15 pm will be the last game of Rui Costa as professional football player against Vitória de Setúbal for the Portuguese Liga.

Here's the image of the ticket wich features a special message saying "Obrigado Rui" (Thank you Rui in Portuguese):
benficaruicostasetubaldq3.jpg

The "Maestro" is forever in our hears! :SAL:

rui-costa2.jpg

rui-costa3.jpg

foto054.jpg

getimage.asp

costa.jpg

One of my favorite players EVER!!

Fucking love him as a player, and he is absolute class as a person.

Will try to watch the game. Might shed a tear or two as well :(

What a great player he was...and yes also a nice guy.
I wish him all the best in his life after his football carreer.

Again, a truly class act.

For me, he defines the term 'playmaker'... someone who can pick the ball up from deep off the defenders or off the wingers and strikers and make anything happen, rather than just sitting comfortably in the last 3rd doing fancy tricks.
I only ever got to see him play live once and that was at David Howells' testimonial at White Hart Lane about 10 years ago.

He was immense as the key player in that team with Batistuta, Robbiati, Oliviera, Cois etc... Used to love seeing him supply ammunition to that front three!
He is one of a few players that have been all time favourites of mine. He is one, alongside Mehmet Scholl, Rivaldo and Demetrio Albertini.
Loved his laid back style, the way he used to float around and spray passes with so much ease and glide past players.
Players like this you wish were around for years and years, rather than the fancy spoilt 'pros' you get nowadays.

Top, top player :)

I'll be off to the stadium in a couple of hours.. It will be very emotional..I just hope he scores, the stadium would fall down.

Rui Costa is for most people a really talented football player, and those who saw him playing know how graceful he is playing..it all looks so perfect.. But he's also a story of full love with his club.. he joined Fiorentina, even though Barcelona also made an offer for him, because Benfica needed the money and he accepted that.. Later, when he joined Benfica to finish his career, 2 years ago, he signed without even discussing wages..
One of the most emotional moments we had on our old stadium was when we scored against us on a friendly match (first time he faced Benfica)..he started crying as the fans got up clapping our opponents goal.

This is a commercial Benfica made (called 'The worst goal of my life') when he signed to gather new associated fans, and you can see the goal I was talking about...the slogan is 'Who loves a club that much, assumes it'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSGIeTmZKM4&feature=related

From today, football will miss one of the most talented players who was still playing, at least until yesterday.

I've seen him playing live and I really fell in love with his way of playing. When he was given the ball, you knew something grat was going to happen. Ever.

When he scored his first goal in Serie A with Milan I was about to cry, and I was about to cry when he left AC Milan..

OBRIGADO RUI

I saw in the stadium and the atmosfere was amazing.

I never saw so many Italian lads at the Luz for a neutral game.

Rui Costa almost cried...

As Fatih Terim says; "He's the real maestro of my teams Milan and Fiorentina."

Big loss for Benfica and Portugesse football community. I'd like to see him as a coach in football world.

I am so sad :(

The end of an era. Players like 'The Maestro' defined football for me. I don't care about fancy step overs. The ability to see the football pitch from a bird's eye view - vision and craft - that is the art of football. Rui Costa perfected it like no other.

Another great player gone from my great generation
of football...

A great playmaker right up there with my favourites
like Zidane, Boban, Redondo...etc

The greatest nº10 in the history of Portuguese football ...

Até sempre, Rui...

I still cry everytime I watch that video.

Rui Costa was (:cry:) one of my favorite players of all time. Not only was he a fantastic professional, he is also a great man. That's what distinguishes him from the regular 'pro' of today. He was unique.

Obrigado, Maestro.

I still cry everytime I watch that video.

Rui Costa was (:cry:) one of my favorite players of all time. Not only was he a fantastic professional, he is also a great man. That's what distinguishes him from the regular 'pro' of today. He was unique.

Obrigado, Maestro.

Yes, fans from every club, even Porto and Sporting, love him, or at least respect him, something that a player like C. Ronaldo will probably never achieve.

it's such a shame nobody organised a "goodbye match" in italy... really a shame :((

anyway grazie Manuel and good luck for your "after-football" carreer :))

It was really touching..

This is a movie that shows it..Rui Costa getting emotional on the warm up, some highlights from his game (he made the assist for the first goal), being substituted, and thanking the fans.

At his speech he's saying.."I'm very proud of quitting football this way. I end up my career tired, exhausted...but very happy. I end it on my stadium, among my people."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H34_jnw13zU

Everytime he scored it really felt like he was one of us (fans) celebrating...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom