RIP John Hughes, Jr. (Feb 18, 1950 – Aug 6, 2009)

Nick Cave

Wrexham fan for my sins...
10 July 2004
Non football league waste land...
Wrexham AFC
'Brat Pack' and Teen Comedy Film Director Dies...

Film director John Hughes, who made a series of memorable 1980s teen comedies including The Breakfast Club and Uncle Buck, has died of a heart attack. The 59-year-old collapsed while strolling in Manhattan, where he was visiting family.

Hughes' 1980s films ushered in a new generation of fresh-faced, teen stars known as the "Brat Pack" - including Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall and Matthew Broderick.

But he is perhaps best known for turning Macaulay Culkin into an international star for his role in Home Alone, which Hughes wrote and produced.

The 1990 blockbuster made almost £300m worldwide, and turned around the fortunes of 20th Century Fox - whose parent company was struggling to pay its creditors.

Actor Matthew Broderick said: "I am truly shocked and saddened by the news about my old friend John Hughes.

"He was a wonderful, very talented guy and my heart goes out to his family."

The director's films, such as Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, are considered standard-bearers of the teen genre and explore American adolescent behavior.

He supplied his awkward characters with natural dialogue, allowing audiences to empathise with their travails.

"Many filmmakers portray teenagers as immoral and ignorant with pursuits that are pretty base," Hughes told the Chicago Tribune in 1985.

"They seem to think that teenagers aren't very bright. But I haven't found that to be the case. I listen to kids. I respect them.

"I don't discount anything they have to say just because they're only 16 years old."

Hughes worked with Molly Ringwald on both Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club, as well as 1986's Pretty in Pink, which he wrote and produced.

He also made a star out of Matthew Broderick, the fearless hero of Ferris Bueller's Day Off who makes good on his determination to miss a day of school.

He later worked with John Candy on Uncle Buck and Planes, Trains & Automobiles, as well as writing the family-friendly films National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and Beethoven.

Over the past decade the director turned his back on Hollywood to become a farmer in the midwest.

He leaves a wife, Nancy, two sons and four grandchildren.

:CRY: Gutted, everyone knows and loves at least one of this guys movies.
I know he had all but turned his back on Hollywood and film but it's a sad loss to the industry and as Breakfast Club had such an affect and is is a big part of my life I feel a bit of me died too... :WORSHIP:

A great guy...

Could a MOD move this into Entertainment please...

Last edited:
Really sad news, the guy was a legend creating some of my favourite films.

Thanks for the memories Mr. Hughes.

R.I.P.

planes, trains & automobiles is my favourite comedy EVER!

[At the car rental agency, after Neal finds the rental car he was assigned isn't in the spot]
Car Rental Agent: Welcome to Marathon, may I help you?
Neal Page: (coldly) Yes.
Car Rental Agent: How may I help you?
Neal: (quietly and slowly) You can start by wiping that fucking dumbass smile off your rosy fucking cheeks...
(rising in volume) ...Then you can give me a fucking automobile - a fucking Datsun, a fucking Toyota, a fucking Mustang, a fucking Buick - four fucking wheels and a seat!
Car Rental Agent: I really don't care for the way you're speaking to me.
Neal: And I really don't care for the way your company left me in the middle of fucking nowhere with fucking keys to a fucking car that isn't fucking there. And I really didn't care to fucking walk down a fucking highway and across a fucking runway to get back here to have you smile at my fucking face...
(very quietly and slowly) ...I want a fucking car, right fucking now...
Car Rental Agent: May I see your rental agreement?
Neal: I threw it away.
Car Rental Agent: Oh boy.
Neal: Oh boy what?
Car Rental Agent: (sneering) You're fucked.

absolute genius!!

I was looking at films he made and every film I found is a classic...

- National Lampoon's Vacation
- Sixteen Candles
- The Breakfast Club
- Weird Science
- Pretty in Pink
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- Planes, Trains and Automobiles
- The Great Outdoors
- Uncle Buck
- National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
- Home Alone

Is that from Stand By Me (The Body) in your sig spunk of mj? I know it's Stephen King, but without digging out the book...

planes, trains & automobiles is my favourite comedy EVER!

[At the car rental agency, after Neal finds the rental car he was assigned isn't in the spot]
Car Rental Agent: Welcome to Marathon, may I help you?
Neal Page: (coldly) Yes.
Car Rental Agent: How may I help you?
Neal: (quietly and slowly) You can start by wiping that fucking dumbass smile off your rosy fucking cheeks...
(rising in volume) ...Then you can give me a fucking automobile - a fucking Datsun, a fucking Toyota, a fucking Mustang, a fucking Buick - four fucking wheels and a seat!
Car Rental Agent: I really don't care for the way you're speaking to me.
Neal: And I really don't care for the way your company left me in the middle of fucking nowhere with fucking keys to a fucking car that isn't fucking there. And I really didn't care to fucking walk down a fucking highway and across a fucking runway to get back here to have you smile at my fucking face...
(very quietly and slowly) ...I want a fucking car, right fucking now...
Car Rental Agent: May I see your rental agreement?
Neal: I threw it away.
Car Rental Agent: Oh boy.
Neal: Oh boy what?
Car Rental Agent: (sneering) You're fucked.

absolute genius!!

Haha, I love that movie...

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is my most fave Comedy, it still gets me and i have seen it more than 20 times. Wish Paramount would hurry and deliver us the Blu-ray.

Back
Top Bottom