Retro Gaming (football and others)

D

DagsJT

Seems tidier to start a new thread than use FIFA 08's :)

Remember Ultimate Soccer Manager and the bungs? :)

Re: Retro Games (football and others)

My favourite classic football game will always be SWOS (sitting around the Amiga with my dad and my brother-in-law, laughing at the foreign player's names - there was one guy I used to call "Tescos", God knows what his actual name was). But I used to play USM like mad as well. Never used the bungs, I'm just like that (I'm always the good guy in games), but I loved the view of your club - the stadium, the club shop, the hot-dog sellers, the financial office, everything. I hated previous management games, I didn't feel the match engine was good enough, but USM was absolutely brilliant. I got every single update.

I only discovered Championship Manager years after USM, and from then on I've never looked back.

Hated the FIFA games originally until FIFA 98 RTWC, which I loved. When FIFA 99 came out I was still very young, I'd got into computers majorly at school and I got in touch with this guy who made an editor and a graphics editor. I made a patch for the game (the English Super Patch aka ESP), the first patch for a football game (so I was told at the time anyway - don't know if it's true). People went crazy over it - it was a great feeling and I started making patches non-stop. It was a weird time though; for every ten emails of support you got, you'd get one or two that were full of abuse I'd never heard before (I put the release date of an update patch back a week, and oh my God, I was calling mates every five minutes to ask what this new word meant). I was only a young teenager at the time so it was really fucked up, I was shocked at what people were calling me, and how strange the world was.

FIFA 2000 came out and I thought it was a huge step backwards, and it was about the time I discovered ISS PE2 on the PSone, I think. So I switched from FIFA to PES - stopped patching because in PES there was simply too much to fix. :p

Since then it's been PES every year, with a passing look at FIFA 06 (which I wanted to be good because it had Tranmere in, but unfortunately it wasn't). Except for last year, when I liked FIFA 07, and loved UEFA CL. Can't imagine going back to PES now, it's funny how things flow and change...

How's that for boring nostalgia? :)

Last edited:

Great link tik x 4 (http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/soccer-football-european/) ! I reckon I had, over time, about 25% of those titles! (ok, maybe not but at least 20 of them!)

Emilyn Hughes was one of my faves - I wrote to the developers and asked them to incorporate black players and players with blonde hair - they wrote back and said the systems were too limited.

Then Johnny Barne's game came out for the amiga and finally, some colour variation.

Anyone remember Paul Gascoignes game too?

Emlyn Hughes International Soccer, what a game. I spent many hours on that one. I had a spectrum and the game was in monochrome and my mate had a C64 and he had limited colour on his so I was always jealous. But the Speccy had the better gameplay.

Man UTD in Europe was another bench mark game on the Amiga. YOu could actually see teh Subs warming up if you added the Ram upgrade to the Amiga and yes I spent the extra money just to see those yellow tracksuits 'fall off' and teh players come on. No doubt SWOS will always be king but there used to be so many games. Peter Shilton ' Handball Maradona' , Kick Off 1+2 , Actua Soccer , Microprose Soccer, Player Manager, Match Day loads and loads and I had them all and I'm sure there's plenty I've forgotten.

Now we only have PES and FIFA, bring back the variation I say. Fan boys would have had some serious debates back then there would be about 20 factions rather than todays 2.

EDIT: Just remembered the striker series and I think that had indoor soccer as well. I'm sure this edit will increase with the rest of the day as my nostalgia increases.

Last edited:

I remember having about 7 footie games for the snes, the ps1 i had quite a few aswell. ps2 was only pes.

We have the usual suspects, sensi, iss, iss deluxe on the snes.

I always loved the goal/nets in striker(on the snes), a bit like this years pes. Although the game wasnt very good, or atleast i didnt play it very well. Could run down the wing from your own area, cut it when near their area and score :D

Actua had the "great" shooting with full control of dip/curve with these huge stadiums, you could never see the sky as they had about 5 rings. And the passing that the ball would always go infront of your player to run onto, oh and the men looking like they were made from 8 triangles (they had no feet or hands, just the ends of the triangle :lol: ).

One of my favorite moments was just a few years ago on This Is Football. Was playing a 2 v comp match and i tackled a player, poor tackle and he went flying. But at the same time my mate did the same so you ahve the oppo player fly one way from my tackle and while in mid air he got a (2footed which was poosible in that game) kick to fly the opposite way from my mate. Never managed to do that again in any other game.

Also remember kickoff, dark pitch with the very prominant sound of the player running. I never got into that as i always found that i could hardly see any of the pitch besides the very close area around my player.

Another kickoff i really, really enjoyed was kickoff3. This had the side view and the ball had decent physics(bounce) to it with the driblling being fairly good aswell. Get the ball to macca and let him set up rush was a favorite.

Another nice memory is fifa96 for the ps1. Just remember the awe in which i was watching the game with the 3d and stadium and stuff. I also had olympic soccer for the ps1, a ridiculously fast game. But it did have a decent difficulty as winning the olympic medal was really tough.

Another fond memory was iss98. The first one on the ps1 was good, but that had such a leap in quality. I remember owen actually being fast and if you got him away on a counter the defenders couldnt get near. Or shearer and batistuta having a 9 for shooting ability, you could really rocket in some top corner crackers with that game. I cant remember if it was 98 or the pro evo games, i think its 98 actually, when davids could also hit amazing strikes at goal.

Last edited:

Ultimate Soccer Manager was okay but the bungs were pointless as they never worked. building the stadium was magic though.

Championship Manager 93/94 was classic. Why could we never sign european players though. sure that was a bug! I remember having to write down all the results as I played 4 player games with friends at school. They would call me up asking me to sell or buy etc.

Do any of you remember European Super League? It was madness as the phone never stopped calling and after the 1st game you always got the sack!

the official Liverpool FC game was a disgrace. there was no nets!! lol

Premier manager was good on the Amiga and much better than the Mega Drive game. On the Ball was not too bad either.

I remember European Champions on the Amiga. Think Marseille were on the front cover. that was a pretty cool game.

Graham Taylor's Soccer Challenge was a tough manager sim. I could never get success with that game.

How about 1st division manager! You just saw highlights. was pretty cool but you could never win away from home. :)

One game I was hyped for was Tracksuit Manager 2 on the Amiga. It was terrible though and full of bugs.

Treble Champions on the C64 was amazing for it's time.

Last edited:

With Emlyn's it was one of the first I saw where you could edit the team names and players - I remember making up a team of me and all my mates.

And doing an England B team - oh the memories!

anyone remember an arcade machine football game which was based on Euro 92. I remember playing it when I visited France and thought it was amazing. could never get past the quarter finals playing with Scotland!

never saw it in machines in the UK.

What about Player Manager on the Amiga. That was a classic game made by Anco. it was full of fake names but G.Baker was a scoring machine!! :)

Man Utd: The Double was okay as you could be any english team. never knew how you scored them 30 yard screamers like the CPU did though. Also winning the F.A Cup with Liverpool and seeing Paul Ince lifting the trophy with a smile on his face was not cool.

Last edited:

Wow Kobashi, Treble Champs! I used to play that loads! Brings back memories seeing the name of that game again!

I'm sure I played the Euro 92 arcade game when it was out, check out MAME as I'm pretty sure it's on that too.

I remember G.Baker from Player Manager too :)

I always thought Goal! was much better than Kick Off 2.

What was the game when you injured a player and the physio would run on with a sponge? Football Glory? The disks didn't work after long and I was gutted I couldn't find it to get the game again. I loved the gameplay on that too.

On The Ball: World Cup Edition was quality. I actually enjoyed watching the training sessions and reading the comments. It was also really cool with the player interaction and the way the morale system worked. Match highlights worked very well although the players did look a bit stiff at times and didn't animate well.

The video game of Subbuteo was shit, utterly. I wanted it to be really good but got really let down :(

World Cup USA 94 was okay, that mascot dog did my head in though.

Wow Kobashi, Treble Champs! I used to play that loads! Brings back memories seeing the name of that game again!

I'm sure I played the Euro 92 arcade game when it was out, check out MAME as I'm pretty sure it's on that too.

I remember G.Baker from Player Manager too :)

I always thought Goal! was much better than Kick Off 2.

What was the game when you injured a player and the physio would run on with a sponge? Football Glory? The disks didn't work after long and I was gutted I couldn't find it to get the game again. I loved the gameplay on that too.

On The Ball: World Cup Edition was quality. I actually enjoyed watching the training sessions and reading the comments. It was also really cool with the player interaction and the way the morale system worked. Match highlights worked very well although the players did look a bit stiff at times and didn't animate well.

The video game of Subbuteo was shit, utterly. I wanted it to be really good but got really let down :(

World Cup USA 94 was okay, that mascot dog did my head in though.

Football Glory was funny. they totally ripped of sensi and got taken to court over it. World Cup 94 was okay also.

Goal was really good.

here is a nice 10min vid of 100 Amiga games!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUoJBerFDsA

Last edited:

International Soccer C64
Manchester Untited Europe Atari ST
Kick Off
Sensible Soccer
Goal
Liked the Eidos World League Soccer 98
Actua Soocer1,2 and 3 had the first amazing commentry
Football Glory with marks left on the field

Graham Souness 3d soccer i think it was called was terrible.

Euro League Football allowed you to manage the team and transfer players etc but also was terible.

That video is excellent Kobashi, I'll be grabbing Winuae soon I think :)

Never a fan of Superfrog, seemed like a cheap Mario imitation to me. Rainbow Islands was better. Don't think it showed Sleepwalker did it?

sleepwalker was not shown. Did any of you play The Chaos Engine? I Thought that game was excellent. Stunt Car Racer was pure jokes!!

Loved all the Microprose games

Formula one Grand Prix
Golf
F15 Strke Eagle 2 (Why don't they make games like that now for consoles instead of all these arcade based flyer's)
Special Forces

Big huge boxes lol

Loved all the Microprose games

Formula one Grand Prix
Golf
F15 Strke Eagle 2 (Why don't they make games like that now for consoles instead of all these arcade based flyer's)
Special Forces

Big huge boxes lol

Formula One Grand Prix was amazing. honestly when i saw that running on my TV i was shocked how good it looked. Two players in a F1 Season was cool also. Just say a race was 70 laps, I would race for 10 laps then it would come up with a 10 second timer and let you know that the CPU was gonna take over the controls while the 2nd player drives his car for 10 laps.

I don't know of any other racing game that has done a system like that.

I thought that said Brian Clough's Family Fortunes then, that would have been brilliant.

"Your cardigan?! Don't be so fucking stupid love! Get back in't kitchen!"

That video is awesome. Some of the best times of my childhood were spent playing some of the games shown in those 10 minutes. It's really amazing how it reminded me of some games I used to play a lot when I was a kid.

I'm relatively younger than most of you guys (16, 2 days away from my 17th birthday), but I clearly remember some of these games. I remember asking my dad when I was kind of 3 or 4 years old to turn our Olivetti on so that I could play. It wasn't exacty easy for me to go through DOS and find them. :mryellow:

My favourite game was with no doubt Prince Of Persia 1. I used to play it a lot, and I remember I used to get quite scared when playing it. Anyway, it was really cool and I think I managed to complete it. It was really fun.

pop1-16.png
pop1-18.png

Other game I used to play a lot was Batman. It was pretty scary for such a young boy as well, but I really liked to play it.

Batman03.gif
Batman10.gif

Pinball Fantasies is another game I really liked. This one was definitely more suitable for a young boy. :D

Pinball+Fantasies1.png
Pinball+Fantasies4.png

Simcity Classic. This one is really a classic. I had so much fun building cities - creating roads, buildings, power centrals, gardens and obviously, lots of fire and police departments. Besides, we can't forget there was the option to provoke earthquakes and get some dinosaurs to have fun with the city. This was a really cool game. :lol:

SimCity%20Classic1.png
SimCity%20Classic7.png

Network Q RAC Rally Championship. This was the rally game. It was awesome, but I guess I wasn't very good at it. Shame. (Hence the image choice.) :p

Network%20Q%20RAC%20Rally%20Championship1.png
Network%20Q%20RAC%20Rally%20Championship4.png

This one was the game I'd always play when there was any chance I'd get my hands on my cousin's computer. California Games II was really fun. There were so many things we could do - bodyboarding, skateboarding, jet surfing, etc. It was awesome. :D

California%20Games%20II1.png
California%20Games%20II2.png

Stunts was another game I used to play a lot on my cousin's computer. This racing game was awesome, I spent lots of hours playing it. Amazing.

Stunts1.png
Stunts5.png

Rergarding football games, I didn't play many when I was this young. I remember having FIFA 94 installed on my dad's computer, but somehow it wouldn't run. :lol: On the other hand, I remember playing Italia 90 and some other football games on my cousin's computer - none of them was SWOS I'm afraid. :|

Well, these were the games I used to play through DOS. I also remember the computer's OS was Windows 3.1, which had some really cool stuff. There was a really simple game I loved. SkiFree. This is probably one of the games I played the most, along with Prince Of Persia. It was really fun because we had to avoid trees and rocks and at the same time we had to try to escape from the Abominable Snow Monster. It was awesome. :lol:

ski.gif

These were the games I used to play the most when I was a kid (until I was kind of 7 years old).I might make another post with the games I used to play from then on. This post is getting too big. :p

Anyway, the time I took to make this post and look for pictures was some of the best time I've spent online. So many memories. Thanks for creating this thread. :D

I remember Network Q Rally. I must of been about 10/11 when I had that and that game was damn hard. Don't really think I had any sense of how Rally games were suppose to be played. lol

Anybody notice Zool on that video. he was one fast dude! game was pretty damn hard..

Pinball Fantasies is still the best pinball game ever released, Dreams was pretty good too but Fantasies had the lot for me :)

Just bumping this back up :D

Remember when GTA3 came out and everyone raved about it being 3D and vehicles etc?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m1PcAlGHXzk

Hunter was out on the Commodore Amiga in 1991 and already had signs of the future, a GREAT game at the time!

Me and my mates were addicted to matchday on the spectrum, and couldnt believe our eys when Matchday 2 came out and it had "HEADERS".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e4/Match_Day_2.png/240px-Match_Day_2.png

I was also addicted to "Monty Is Innocent", and completed the game in under a minute I think it was one time.

Oh and leaderboard came out one summer and we played it to death when our mums didnt make us go out and play in the sun. I can still remember seeing the hole being painted in front of your eyes.

And my mate had a Commodore 64 on which I only ever played Clumsy Colin, the guy from the old skips advert. Class game.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/69/Action_Biker_Coverart.png

Why is it always sunny when you think back to your youth :-)

Cheers
Shooto

Leaderboard! :shock:

Bloody hell, that's a blast from the past!

I had leaderboard on the C64 too, my problem was it kept crashing... often just after the game had loaded! The C64 was a fragile machine when it came to programs.

I don't ever really remember crashes on the C64, everything went well from what I can remember?

Those damn loading screens, with the bars enough to give you epilepsy, the screeching sounds, and having to rewind the tape :LOL:

The newer C64's with the Amiga Style casing were more reliable. I had a seriously old skool 1984 BreadBox style C64. Possibly my tape deck was playing up at times and that might have been the cause of some of the crashes I experienced...

Back
Top Bottom