Red Faction: Guerrilla Xbox 360, PS3 and PC

Great fun IMO. Yes, there is things that annoy me (veichles handling, sometimes AI etc), but still a lot of fun. Besides there is still time for tweaking with two months to release. Will buy at release. :)

THQ plans to release a Red Faction: Guerrilla demo next Thursday 21st May for PS3 and Xbox 360.

Inside will be two maps, nine weapons, five backpacks and 15 unlockable levels from the full game. The only playlist on offer will be Damage Control.

We've already had a good look at the single-player side of Red Faction: Guerrilla in a single-player demo, which THQ says has been downloaded 1m times. The game does have a story about a revolution on Mars, but it's not as fun as blowing stuff up and knocking stuff down.

That's testament to Volition's impressive physics engine underpinning the whole experience, which we're hoping will offer some interesting possibilities in multiplayer.

I spotted a few different bonuses for pre ordering are floating about though the best seem to be the 4 multi player maps with play.com, though they'll have to be released as dlc for everyone at some point or they risk splitting the online community. You can get a toy walker and an axe from somewhere else (i think game and amazon)

Not sure if the servers are screwed or just no one cares but ive downloaded this MP demo and i just can not connect to any games at all.

Just reading some impressions on Eurogamer and they're pretty positive. Just added the demoes to my queue :)

I downloaded the multiplayer demo a few weeks ago and I've never been able to play it online yet. Everytime I try it spends ages searching for a game, fails to find one then sets me up as the host then decides to search for another persons game without me doing anything and then we repeat over and over.

Complete joke - the Single player demo was fun though

I've played it for a couple of hours on the 360 now and I'm really blown away by how awesome it is and feels. The physics are out of this world, it's so unbelievably much fun causing one rampage after another. Especially after you've cleared the first sector and things start to get real hot. Highly recommended!

Haven't had time to try the demo but user impressions on Eurogamer are really good with a lot saying it's up there as a GOTY contender :SHOCK:

Haven't got any games to trade in for it though :(

I honestly didn't 'get' this game. Seemed like a hybrid of Mercenaries 2 and the older Halo games. I also hate these liberation type games, we are the red faction here to liberate you from the terrorists, USA....USA... USA. All of the animations seemed arcadey and it didn't feel like a next gen game at all; more like a PS2/Xbox game with better graphics. Frankly there's nothing 'wow' about it.

The destruction was OK, but it just all seemed a little pointless, the game I mean. Not my thing.

Last edited:
Ahh you need to watch the tools of destruction videos then to understand the use of all of this destruction.

It gives you a chance to complete missions the way you want. So say you have to take out a convoy you can either go at it like in any other shooter game with your weapons and shoot everything, or set a trap of land mines and take the lead vehicle out then take everyone out as they stop behind - or plant charges under a bridge on the supports and set them to blow as the convoy drives over or blow a building next to the bridge that topples over and lands on the bridge taking the bridge and the convoy out....

YouTube - Red Faction Guerrilla : Tools of Destruction 1

YouTube - Red Faction Guerrilla : Tools of Destruction 2

YouTube - Red Faction: Guerrilla Tools of Destruction Trailer #3 (HD)

There are some other videos on the PS Store

Got this today and although I've not played it enough to have a real opinion of it so far I like it.

I can't say much about the single player campaign as I'm not that far into it but it's very much like the demo. You have to free areas of the EDF by blowing buildings/structures. When you remove their structures then they'll no longer occupy that area. In other missions you rescue captured red faction members or retrieve something like that walker from the demo. It's all good fun so far.

Multiplayer I played 1 quick match. When you first play you can only pick death match or TDM and have to unlock the other game modes by ranking up with XP. I did a quick match and when the map loaded there seemed to be a server problem because we were all stuck for a few seconds. A few people quit and suddenly it all worked flawlessly. So I'm not sure if they were the error or the servers are shitty/buggy.

In the 1 game I played it was 3 vs 3 on a small ish map. There were a few walkway style bridges and huts dotted around so it made finding the enemy difficult with all of the hiding places and multi levels. In the end I got bored or running and chasing and picked up some C4 and started to set traps on all of the bridges. Then as 2 men above me ran over a bridge I blew it and they came crashing down to their deaths.

Then later 1 guy ran inside a building and started to fire like crazy towards the only door in and out. So I jet packed up onto the roof, threw a C4 charge - blew it and then as i came back down to earth unloaded my machine gun on him as he looked up wondering what the explosion was.

Very good stuff so far.

Along with UFC this is a game I will be getting, but only once its dropped in price a bit. Will probably pick it up in July especially if Battlefield 1943 comes out in June as I will be playing it mostly.

Played the demo and it's not bad. Looks and plays like an XBox 1 title basically but it does seem pretty fun so I'll probably play the full version at some point.

I've started to find this game slightly repetitive. Drive here, bang bang bang, boom, drive away to a safehouse.

Not to the point where I'm bored of it but I'm at a point where I'm driving for ages to get somewhere, I do the side mission and then to get the EDF off my ass I have to drive back to a safehouse. The problem is the side mission are far from safehouses so it's pretty boring for the 6th time having to drive across Mars to do a side mission (usually blow this up or help red faction guys out) then drive back to a safe house, save and then drive all the way back to do the next side mission.

Sure you could just go from side mission to side mission but my ammo count will be very low by the time i reach my 2nd one and they're much easier to do when you don't have tanks and airships blasting you from all sides.

-

It's still a lot of fun though. I find myself playing it for an hour then thinking 'right that's enough for now' and then playing it later for an hour. Hopefully when I unlock fast travel it won't be so bad getting around.

Yeah i feel the same Rad but i got the fast travel and it only let me use it once? It's ok though i spent an hour smashing a bridge up.

I'm still not impressed with the pointless destruction. Just seems like an anger management game to me :).

It's not really pointless destruction. It's realistic destruction. Fire a rocket into a wall and it crumbles. Take out the supports on a watch tower and it falls over.

Yeah but from what I've played of it it seems to be overdone, which leads me to feel on the general scheme of things it's pretty pointless. Sure it has the most realistic destruction I've seen in a game but it does seem repetitive and a little overdone for the sake of showing how good their destruction engine is. The amount of driving involved in the game also reminds me of everything I hated in Far Cry 2.

Again I agree with you, people are enjoying the game so fair enough I feel like I'm missing something but as far as I can see it's just vandalism with a bit of shooting thrown in (with poor controls - compared to other shooters anyway). Saying that, saves me £40 so I'm grateful. :D

Farcry 2 is a fair call - it's not as tedious as Farcry 2 but the game does have that kind of 'then next mission is on the other side of the map area' feel. They're never TOO far away. It's all broke down into small sections of the map. When you clear one area out you move your attention to the next.

If you fancy playing it but don't want to waste money try getting it from lovefilm with a free trial - unless you've used one in the past already.

Lovefilm send you a new game? Not happening, Rad :LOL:

I've got Red Faction on my list for both consoles, high priority, and they still can't send me it.

Back
Top Bottom