Red Dead Redemption 2

It's 8 years old but you should definitely play it. One of the best games ever made, in my opinion.
Agreed - loved playing it the first time around but always wanted to play it again on my bigger TV. I wasn't sure whether I need to now as I can just play the new one. If I wasn't so far behind with my backlog of games I would have already finished the original again lol.

RDR1 summary (potential RDR2 spoiler):
WARNING: SPOILERS FOR RDR1 (and as its events happen after RDR2, probably also spoilers for RDR2)
  • John Marston used to ride in a gang called „The Van der Linde Gang“, named after its leader, Dutch Van der Linde
  • Marstons wife Abigail, who started as one of the gangs „working girls“ before they married, and their son Jack also rode with the gang (probably not partaking in most of the violent acts, though).
  • Other gang members mentioned are Bill Williamson and Javier Escuella
  • They thought of themselves as a kind of resistance fighters, thinking they could „change the world if they only spilled enough blood“, taking money from the rich and giving to the poor
  • According to the lawmen, they robbed about 40 banks and killed hundreds of men
  • Dutch was a charismatic and inspiring leader before he went mad and started killing everybody who didn’t share his worldview
  • After that (I think Marston hints at a certain especially violent event), the gang members started to lose trust in him and the gang began to fall apart
  • Marston got shot in a robbery and the gang left him to die. After that he settled down with Abigail and Jack on a little farm called Beecher’s Hope.
  • A few years later in 1911, lawmen come and blackmail Marston into hunting down his old friends Bill, Javier and Dutch.
  • Depending on how you play, you can kill or take alive Escuella. Bill is killed by Marston, while Dutch jumps off a cliff himself.
  • John Marston gets betrayed by the Lawmen and is executed in 1911.
  • Abigail dies of unknown cause in 1914
  • Jack Marston kills the Lawman who betrayed his father. The story ends here, with Jack the last known former „gang member“ still alive

Red Dead Redemption’s Biggest Unsolved Mysteries
In the eight years since Red Dead Redemption released, players have explored every inch of its grassy plains, desolate deserts, and snow-capped peaks. During a misguided extermination quest, we discovered that the “man-eating” Bigfoot actually eats berries. We uncovered – and maybe even stopped – the cannibal behind a rash of disappearances in Armadillo. We even aided our grave-digging friend, Seth, in finding buried treasure from a bona fide treasure map.

So, how many mysteries could possibly remain in this well-traveled world?
https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/10/17/red-dead-redemptions-biggest-unsolved-mysteries

I played the original through my computer monitor and with headphones. One of my favourite games! But now I've got the Xbox hooked up to the bigger screened TV and with a soundbar hooked up, I was keen to check out the original again before this one comes out...but I'm worried about being fatigued for the new game. Skip it and just play the new one?

Personally, I wouldn't bother. It was a fantastic game, and it has been remastered I believe, but for me it feels quite dated. Also, two other things to consider.

One, the hype is going to be insane when it's released - do you have the discipline to start the original and not play the new one if everyone and their mother is talking about it being, likely, quite amazing? (I'm only half through AC Odyssey and I just know I'm not going to finish because of RDR2 lol)

And two, RDR2 is actually a prequel to the first, so you could play the new one and then continue the story with the original if you feel so inclined.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. It was a fantastic game, and it has been remastered I believe, but for me it feels quite dated. Also, two other things to consider.

One, the hype is going to be insane when it's released - do you have the discipline to start the original and not play the new one if everyone and their mother is talking about it being, likely, quite amazing? (I'm only half through AC Odyssey and I just know I'm not going to finish because of RDR2 lol)

And two, RDR2 is actually a prequel to the first, so you could play the new one and then continue the story with the original if you feel so inclined.
Fair call - I'll be playing the new one from release date and when I need a break, I'll play some FIFA lol. No doubt, RDR 2 will take up the next couple of months for me and I'll have time to go back and play the other one at a later stage. Not sure whether to go digital or hard copy - prefer digital but it will be $20-$30 more than the disc copy :(

5mxt1kn0unt11.gif

Last edited:
Whaddaya mean pointless? If you pre-order digitally the game is ready the literal second it's out.
Make the developers earn your money. Why give it to them before you even know if the game is decent or not. Doesn't take long to download a game these days. Surely you're not that impatient.

Make the developers earn your money. Why give it to them before you even know if the game is decent or not. Doesn't take long to download a game these days. Surely you're not that impatient.

Fair point but if you already know you're 100% buying it...

Fair point but if you already know you're 100% buying it...
That's what I mean! I don't know if I will be buying this game on pre-order, but there are a few games where I know I'm going to buy them anyway so I go for a pre-order and then wait for the clock to run down.
Is this normal behaviour for a 40+ year old man?
The fuck it is

I wonder if Rockstar has review copies out? Itching to see some impressions.

That's what I mean! I don't know if I will be buying this game on pre-order, but there are a few games where I know I'm going to buy them anyway so I go for a pre-order and then wait for the clock to run down.
Is this normal behaviour for a 40+ year old man?
The fuck it is

I wonder if Rockstar has review copies out? Itching to see some impressions.
It’s ok, says the young 38 year old. :D
I’ll probably get my copy tmw. Can’t wait. Been hyped like a 6 year old at Christmas for 8 years! Does that make sense?! :D

So looking forward to it! The wait is nearly over!!
2,5 weeks of holidays ahead... what a coincidence!

edit: I wish this place would grow on the “other games” community side. Sure it’s a football forum, but hey, let’s talk video games in general. :)

Oh come on. Just write something to what’s in the spoiler please.
Btw: ITS THE MAP!
...in case someone DONT want to see. ;)

Sorry, let me try this again....

Everyone, it's a spoiler of things that relate to the Red Dead Redemption 2 game, which you may not wish to view prior to receiving / playing the game.

If you don't want to view it, then please don't press the spoiler button.

Sarcastic response aside without putting some context we don't know if it's some kind of story spoiling post or as in this case simply the map. How're we supposed to know what level of "spoiler" it is? Personally I don't see the map as a spoiler but I don't want to click on something that spoils the actual story (I know that's happening on Reddit apparently).

Anyways, 5 minutes of a Russian dude playing the game:

I have it saved if it goes down...

Back
Top Bottom