Give the Demo your rating out of 10.

Votes: 17 7.5%

Votes: 73 32.2%

Votes: 71 31.3%

Votes: 36 15.9%

Votes: 5 2.2%

Votes: 25 11.0%

• Total voters
Why are animations so important for some people? It's like it's all about the f*cking cosmetics and not about the football at all...

its one of the fundamental elements to make you feel like you are playing a proper football game, this wasn't an issue in ps2 games, what the hell happened? almost 6 years since ps3 released, and they still fail to make it right? you must be kidding me konami.

Imagine playing a football game with perfect physics, with no GK bugs and no passes that end up (just a little, honestly) too short sometimes, but with just plastic jars instead of players. So no cosmetics at all.
Would it be good to see a shot on goal and see a plastic jar slide (or roll) along the goal line trying to bounce the ball off? No, in my opinion it wouldn't. Even if the physics and the gameplay are perfect.

I'm not a fan of the perfect graphics either, but to feel like a football game, it has to play like a football game but it also has to look (at least a little) like a football game.

That was actually a pretty hilarious response, props to that :P But are you serious? PES players look like footballers, much more than FIFA's Madame Tussauds' Museum figures. The animations may not be the best but the're pretty functional, and right now, pretty fluid. The variety and quality is indeed lacking, but dismissing a whole game because of them is simply absurd. :COAT:

Of course it was meant to be ironic.
What I was explaining (in a somehow exxagerate way) is that we should look to reach a balance between gameplay and graphics: both of them are important to achieve a good result, because if only the gameplay was important we should all still be playing Sensible Soccer 2K11 or Goal 2K11 :)

That said, I heavily prefer having good gameplay and average graphics instead of the other way round (that's the reason I still play PES6 on a regular basis: for today's standards it has less than average graphics, but it still feels like a great game because of the gameplay).

I bashed the PES2008/2009/2010 animations, it's true, but they look at least on the right path to me this time. There's still plenty of room for improving, but they've made a little step in the right direction (still, I'd like to see players diving less when they face a challenge, but it's personal taste) :D

Last edited:
Oif only the gameplay was important we should all still be playing Sensible Soccer 2K11 or Goal 2K11 :)

Oh god, I wish! As an alternative to what we have now, not as a substitute, but I really miss the simplicity of games like these. I'd love to see a serious take on football again with the same top-down view of old football games.

after 30-50 matches im going to give it a 7, im really impressed with the direction the game is going in and it is the first next-gen PES title I've found enjoyable, but there are still too many glaring issues with shooting, goalkeeping and general collision detection, hoping these will be improved for the second demo

yes and then after a servel of game i see the problems in this demo

but the potential to become the best pes is there

At first I was pretty much ecstatic about the demo, but with time the game shows its real face :/

The goal keepers fumbling is a disgrace. It has probably never been as bad as this, I hope this is a bug, not a feature. About 50% of goals I received was after a silly fumble. They just like to score an equalizing goal on a ricochet shot which makes your efforts in vain. I don't care much for the number of CPU rebounds in general, in some situations when they can't go through my defensive line they just have the ball bounce back to them a few times which just breaks the defence as my players try but fail to pick up the fumble.

What's up with headers? Doesn't feel normal losing 90% of the aerial duels, hopefully I'm missing something. Since they excluded the R2 option to correct the player position while waiting for a high ball, the situation has been going pretty much downhill in this regard.

In the first few matches I have played (and lost easily) the ref was doing a good job. But as soon as you start applying a bit more pressure to CPU AI, they get a lot more aggressive and the ref doesn't step up to the plate, loads of balls lost under suspicious conditions. Maybe they'll fix this, but probably not.

Shooting is a bit off the mark and here we're pretty much back to basics. Scoring one-on-one using the drive shot has gotten less probable, missed like ten of chances like that with Pato and Berbatov. On the other hand, no problem to just get around the keeper. In this regard the game is a lot alike PES6, IIRC.

The option to have some player run forward is a fine addition, but what I would have liked a lot more is to NOT have my forwards start running back just as I'm trying to push the ball forward. There were too many situations where I try to create some space with one attacker just to see the other one rushing back like a madman.

The one "feature" I would really like to have removed is the obvious, behind the scenes player characteristics touching up. This related to the ManUTD-Napoli match where in some matches it was practically impossible for me to connect three passes. The passing speed was just slow, the ball off the mark, the trajectory inadequate. Didn't have this problem playing with Milan. Also, don't know what was up with Rooney, but even after putting him on CF all the way forward, he would still on his own go back behind the CM players, running after the ball.

What I really liked are the new control options, the pass assistance setting, the possibility to turn off some automatic player reactions, nice improvement. What I do not understand is, why do they not the give us the option to have the old manual player selection back? That is, have player switch automatically in offence and fully manually in defence? Also, is it so hard to implement a replay occurrence slider? Come on.

Finally they stopped defensive players from going on those idiotic dribbling runs, usually ending up in a lost ball or an out. The defenders are much more likely to just clear the ball in a funky situation then anything else, hopefully they will find their attackers forward in these situations a bit less often.

I also like how faster player finally have some advantage over slower ones, PES forgot about this "feature" for over a decade now, it's been long since Babangida fast players had proper advantage, balance seemed to be always much more important. A fast player on a fast break should be right that, fast.

Defensively, I like how one now needs to actually play some defence, instead of just applying pressure to the attacker. Sliding tackles have been made much slower and less forward, in the past instalment it was just to easy to hook someone and have the ball calmed down for you effortlessly.

All my opinions are based on several Milan-Porto (about ten games) and Manchester-Napoli (about 6 matches, lost 4, one draw, one victory) games, playing on the PC with a gamepad, using normal game speed at professional difficulty, semi assisted player switching setting and pass assistance turned all the way down.

Back
Top Bottom