PS3 Cracked to play backup games...

I have a Dreamcast and had it since 2000 but only played 1 game and that's it. I never knew it could be hacked. Too late now I guess :LOL:

I believe they already do...

First up, what does Sony know about what's going on with your console? It is true that when the PS3 boots up - whether you have a PSN account or now - the machine itself communicates with a string of Sony servers, as recently posted on NeoGAF, and a log of applications run on the system is almost certainly transmitted. Similarly, the game you're running at any given point also shows up on your PSN profile, and the chances are that if you run a game from within a "backup manager", then the manager - not the game - will be displayed attached to your PSN account.

According to the terms and conditions of the PlayStation Network, this effectively makes you fair game for a PSN ban of which many variations exist - a timed suspension or even a lifelong ban. The amount of access Sony has to your machine is greater than you probably suspect: the company even has the means to irrevocably disable your console should it so wish, and if that happens, it will remain non-functional whether you're online or offline.

However, despite the options Sony has available, to date there have been no ban waves that we've been aware of, despite Jailbroken consoles being easily detectable. Sony's approach has been very responsible - issuing security updates via new firmwares that automatically lock Jailbreakers out of the PlayStation Network as opposed to issuing outright bans. Sony effectively offers PS3 jailbreakers the opportunity to "go legit" in order to preserve their PSN access.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-in-theory-psn-jailbreaking

Installed that yesterday. Been playing loads of SWOS!

How have you got it working? I load it up and I just get a black screen with the indicators on the bottom. Pressing START and choosing an ADF doesn't do anything so I'm stuck on what I'm supposed to do now :(

You need to set up a config file (uae.cfg) correctly with the right paths and parameters pointing to the kickstart rom and the game disks (adf).

Yep, edited the cfg to point to the kick13.rom, what did you do with the disk path? Because you can change that anyway using the START button?

When you first load up the emulator, do you get anything but the black screen?

Edit: My Kickstart rom was faulty, getting the white screen now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Deleted the hack now and updated to 3.56. Good timing especially after Sony's statement today.

I'll be deleting my credit card details from PSN after what I've just read about Sony collecting information from consoles and their (lack of) encryption.

Well, now sony officially lost his mind in their attempt to stop piracy.

The new TOS that we have to accept to use PSN is just ridiculous now. We not only have to accept the fact that they are saying they have the right to SPY our PS3 and everything that´s inside of it, but we also have to accept the fact that we can´t use any "Non-Licensed Peripherals" (such as controllers, adaptors and power supply devices) or we can´t be banned from PSN.

You may not use, make, or distribute unauthorized software or hardware, including Non-Licensed Peripherals, in conjunction with Sony Online Services, or take or use any data from Sony Online Services to design, develop or update unauthorized software or hardware, including cheat code software or devices that circumvent any security features or limitations included on any software or devices.

Unless otherwise required by applicable law, there is no requirement or expectation that SCEA will monitor or record any activity on Sony Online Services, including communications, although SCEA reserves the right to do so and you hereby give SCEA your express consent to monitor and record your activities and communications. SCEA reserves the right to remove any content and communication from Sony Online Services at SCEA's sole discretion without notice. SCEA may use any data it collects, including the content of your communications, the time and location of your activities, your Online ID and IP address and any other collectable data, to enforce this Agreement or protect the interests of SCEA, Sony Online Services users or SCEA's licensors. Such information may be disclosed to appropriate authorities or agencies. Any other use is subject to the terms of the Privacy Policy. SCEA has no liability for any violation of this Agreement by you or by any other Sony Online Services user.

Read about the credit card details being so easily accessible, my PS3 is going to be disconnected from the internet full stop now. Complete joke of a company are Sony.

Read about the credit card details being so easily accessible, my PS3 is going to be disconnected from the internet full stop now. Complete joke of a company are Sony.

yes, that´s even worse!

for those who don´t know how your credit card data is geniously being sent to sony, take a look:

Update: A document written by the hackers has clarified what they did and what privacy and security risks they believe the PlayStation 3 poses. The PS3's connection to PSN is protected by SSL. As is common to SSL implementations, the identity of the remote server is verified using a list of certificates stored on each PS3. The credit card and other information is sent over this SSL connection. So far so good; this is all safe, and your web browser depends on the same mechanisms for online purchases.

The concern raised by the hackers is that custom firmwares could subvert this system. A custom firmware can include custom certificates in its trusted list. It can also use custom DNS servers. This raises the prospect of a malicious entity operating his own proxies to snaffle sensitive data. He would distribute a custom firmware that had a certificate corresponding to his proxy, and that used a DNS server that directed PSN connections to the proxy. His proxy would decrypt the data sent to it, and then re-encrypt it and forward it to the real PSN servers.

Such a scheme would be transparent to PSN users (except for any potential performance reduction caused by the proxying), and would give the attacker access to all the information that the PS3 sends to Sony. This information is shown to be extensive, but apart from the credit card data, probably not too sensitive or unreasonable.

As flaws go, the risks here are not substantial. There is no generalized ability for hackers to grab credit cards from PSN users; only those using specially devised custom firmwares would be at risk. Essentially the same risk could be faced by anyone downloading a pirated version of Windows: extra certificates could be added to those normally trusted, along with suitable DNS entries, to allow interception of any traffic destined for, say, amazon.com. In practice, the risk of either of these is slight, and in any case, trivially avoided: don't use custom firmware.

The original story is below, but note that the claims originally made by the hacker quoted in the article are unsubstantiated.

Original story: Sony has officially stated that anyone using hacked firmware or any sort of circumvention technology will have their console banned for life from the PlayStation Network, but how does the company know when such a console logs in? One person claims to have broken into the PlayStation Network, and what he has found is rather shocking. If his findings are accurate, your credit card information is being sent to Sony as an unencrypted text file, and Sony is watching every single thing you do with your system, keeping detailed records all the while.

"Sony is the biggest spy ever... they collect so much data. All connected devices return values sent to Sony's servers," the hacker said. He claims that Sony knows what controllers you're using, what USB devices are plugged in, what sort of television you're using—everything. Here's another section of the chat log:

* user2: another funny function i found is regarding psn downloads
* user2: its when a pkg game is requested from the store
* user2: in the url itself you can define if you get the game free or not. requires some modification in hashes and so on tho
* user3: ..
* user2: is like
* user8: :D
* user3: my god
* user2: drm:off

That's not all: your credit card information is apparently being sent as an unencrypted text file. This is how the code is being sent to Sony:

creditCard.paymentMethodId=VISA&creditCard.holderName=Max&creditCard.cardNumber=45581234567812345678&creditCard.expireYear=2012&creditCard.expireMonth=2&creditCard.securityCode=214&creditCard.address.address1=example street%2024%20&creditCard.address.city=city1%20&creditCard.address.province=abc%20&creditCard.address.postalCode=12345%20

This information is allegedly being stored online and is updated every time you turn on your system. We've been receiving reports from various sources that e-mails are being sent to those with hacked firmware even before they log back into the PlayStation Network, which is even more evidence that Sony is grabbing information from your system just from being connected to your wireless network.

The ability to enable free downloads is likewise unsurprising, as there may be a way for some users, such as press and developers, to access the PlayStation Network without needing to pay for content. While other console manufacturers may keep free, pre-review content in a separate, closed-off network, it's possible Sony keeps everything in one place, and controls who pays and who doesn't via a simple toggle. That would be unsafe from a security standpoint, but when has that stopped anyone from stupid mistakes in the past?

It's also very possible this is all fake, but much of what the unnamed hacker is saying links up with what we know from other sources about the behavior of the PlayStation Network. It's worth treating this as a very real threat: use PSN cards instead of credit cards on the PlayStation Network, and make sure you don't share any passwords or login information between your PSN account and other accounts.

We've contacted Sony for comment, but have not received a reply at time of publication. The hackers joked that the next update will remove the PlayStation Network, just as Sony removed the Other OS feature when it became compromised.

source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ing-stunning-lack-of-credit-card-security.ars

This time, the hack allows those banned from PSN to unban themselves, reports D’toid.

It can also be used to unban another console providing the user has access to the other console’s ID. The ID can be obtained from a refurbishing warehouse, a secondhand seller or handed out by a current owner.

The latest hack was in response to Sony’s latest warning of banning those who use a “circumvention device and/or unauthorized or pirated software,” on their PS3 consoles.

Don’t look for any of this hacking business to stop anytime soon.

Tbh, Sony are going a bit too far. They're the ones who came out saying their console can only do everything. Then showing off about Linux. Then doing the same about their extremely secure system. These people showed us it is not the case. The users do have the right to know the truth, because we paid for all that jibberish. They should blame themselves to begin with.

Why not give us a fully customizable console for all the legal stuff we'd like to code/use it + a TRULY secure system for games only + free region backward compatibility? Is it that hard really?

Does Sony really need to barge into someone's house and confiscate their belongings and send them to court over a gaming console that they promised the world with but failed?

SONY is on a crusade agains hackers trying to mask their own incompetence of making a secure system forgeting the fact that this is all happening becouse of SONY theirselves, since the day they decide to take off OtherOS from the PS3.

Sony advertised the PS3 as a console that 'only does everything' (debatable). Trouble is that leaves the console wide open for hackers, who can and will 'do everything' with it, and now Sony are furiously back-pedalling and looking quite silly in the process.

We all know that the primary use for hacked consoles will be to play copied games, I don't think anyone can seriously argue with that, and I can fully understand why Sony are trying to secure their console as they've already seen the PSP destroyed by piracy, but they're going about it in a haphazard and heavy-handed way.

They should concentrate on fixing their security and going after the designers of such a poor security system rather than look like idiots going after people who had the nouse to actually work out how to break it.

It's their own fault for having such a poor security system but they're desperate to make others take the fall for it. Lost a lot of respect for their actions.

They should concentrate on fixing their security and going after the designers of such a poor security system rather than look like idiots going after people who had the nouse to actually work out how to break it.

It's their own fault for having such a poor security system but they're desperate to make others take the fall for it. Lost a lot of respect for their actions.

I agree. Why don't Sony employ the likes of Geohot et al? They're obviously more talented than their own security people and in my opinion it's better to have them on board than against you.

I agree. Why don't Sony employ the likes of Geohot et al? They're obviously more talented than their own security people and in my opinion it's better to have them on board than against you.

Becouse not everybody is for sale... specially hackers and specially for big explorer companies like SONY.

Back
Top Bottom