PS3 Cracked to play backup games...

They have the master keys to sign anything, the PS3 has been cracked WIIIIDE open to do anything with. And apparantly Sony can't do anything to prevent it either, v3.55 and so on are open to abuse now.

just watched the whole ccc videos,

sounds like there is no exploit as such, just lazy encryption from sony (random number=same number!! wtf) that enabled some (very) clever people to calculate the keys

Re: Re: PS3 Cracked to play backup games...

So does this open up the possibility of playing patched versions of PES once again? Because to be honest that's all I'm interested in here.
You can do that from months ago with psjailbreak on 3.41. This could lead to cfw like the PSP and allow us to play online

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

PS3: First ‘Custom Firmware’ now working!
Great news!

Thanks to the tools made by the fail0verflow team (and thanks to sven in particular for his work on the pkg/unpkg tools), the first “Custom Firmware” is now available for the PS3!

I see a lot of questions coming up really fast on my Twitter account, so here are the basic things you need to know :

Because of legal/copyright issues, I will not provide the custom firmware to anyone, however, I’ve made available all the tools necessary to transform an Official firmware update, into a custom one, just grab my ps3utils repository from github, compile, then run :
./create_cfw.sh PS3UPDATE.PUP CFW.PUP

This will take the official firmware, unpack it, modify it, then repack it correctly (requires you to install ps3tools).
This requires Linux of course, but I’m sure others will do it for the masses and illegally release those files somewhere.

The advantage here is that you can do it for any firmware, if you want to keep version 3.41, then give it the 3.41 update, if you are on 3.55 already and can’t downgrade, then run the script on the official 3.55 firmware and it will create a modified 3.55 firmware.

You can put the file in a USB drive under the filename “PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP” and then go to system update in the XMB, and it will allow you to install the update (even if you’re already on 3.55).

People are asking what are the features of this firmware, it’s simple, all it does is to add those “Install Package Files” options to the Game section of the XMB. It doesn’t do anything else!

This firmware will not allow you to run the currently available homebrew application. Once the homebrew developers re-package their files in a ‘retail’ .pkg format with signed executable, then it will work (this should be coming soon thanks to the work of the fail0verflow team).

Since the kernel is left unmodified, this means that this custom firmware is really meant for future homebrew installation, and it will not allow piracy. I plan on keeping it that way.

This is just the first attempt at custom firmware, and it only contains a minor modification to allow you to install pkg files directly, eventually we’ll get some more options added to it in the future. This is just starting to get interesting!

p.s: Thanks to everyone who helped make this possible!

Enjoy!
KaKaRoTo

Great news. So many possibilities now. Cant wait for all the emulators and enhanced media support!

The guy who jailbroke the iphone has created a new jailbroken custom 3.55 firmware for PS3 that allows homebrew and now people are starting to get game "backups" working on it too.

Also, a few emulators (SNES for example) are working on the custome firmware. A lot of cool stuff on the way in the new PS3 homebrew scene.
YouTube - Snes ps3 3.55

Yeah loads of stuff happening recently. More and more signed packages are being released hourly. Looking good.

I read that Sony say they're going to block this with an update so I'm going to hold off doing anything until I see what hand they play. I don't want to dabble in this just so i can mod a few games and then find sony do something to screw me up.

I heard about that too. But from what I understand its pretty difficult for Sony to stop this hack completely. They can only make it harder to initiate but for them to remove it completely would require new hardware.

Im more worried about whether they will ban people from PSN or not. I don't want my account with all of its purchases and trophies to become blocked down the line.

Just been reading up on it. That's not good... Pretty much sounds the death knell for the PS3 and in particular, PSN...

Is there anything at all Sony can do to save it?

Re: Re: PS3 Cracked to play backup games...

Just been reading up on it. That's not good... Pretty much sounds the death knell for the PS3 and in particular, PSN...

Is there anything at all Sony can do to save it?
Death nail on 360 too. That's been cracked ages ago

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom