PS3 been hacked?

Cloud1863

Premiership
10 December 2004
Stoke City
PS3 Hacks said:
In yo face! Straight from Geohot himself… You know, the first person who successfully unlocked the iPhone, has again outdone himself: he’s hacked the PS3. Oooh — that must feel good.

Read it and weep… To quote Geohot verbatim –

I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1.

3 years, 2 months, 11 days…thats a pretty secure system

Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software.

The exploit itself isn’t released yet, but if you take a look here, you’ll see what’s up. It’s legit.

Stay tuned… Big things ahead. And you know that!

- source: geohotps3

http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2010/01/22/the-ps3-is-hacked/

Not trying to go anywhere near software piracy but want to go towards the good old days of what this website was all about. I know it still has some OF's and patches but it is not the same. Will this rekindle the early 00's? Will this bring back all the classick patch makers or even create new ones? I know its early days for this PS3 story but it would be a good one if it were to come true.

I cant wait to see what they can do with the Linux OS that's installed on the console. This could soon turn into a little computer filled with games, emulators and media players.

here's his actual post on his own blog site

Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Here's your silver platter
In the interest of openness, I've decided to release the exploit. Hopefully, this will ignite the PS3 scene, and you will organize and figure out how to use this to do practical things, like the iPhone when jailbreaks were first released. I have a life to get back to and can't keep working on this all day and night.

Please document your findings on the psDevWiki. They have been a great resource so far, and with the power this exploit gives, opens tons of new stuff to document. I'd like to see the missing HV calls filled in, nice memory maps, the boot chain better documented, and progress on a 3D GPU driver. And of course, the search for a software exploit.

This is the coveted PS3 exploit, gives full memory space access and therefore ring 0 access from OtherOS. Enjoy your hypervisor dumps. This is known to work with version 2.4.2 only, but I imagine it works on all current versions. Maybe later I'll write up how it works :)

This is a good article for what it means for the less technical.

Good luck!

-

here's eurogamers post

iPhone hacker George Hotz, aka Geohot, today released his PlayStation 3 "hack" - inviting other coders to pick up the baton and continue his research.

"Hopefully this will ignite the PS3 scene, and you will organise and figure out how to use this to do practical things, like the iPhone when jailbreaks were first released," Hotz wrote on his blog. "I have a life to get back to and can't keep working on this all day and night."

The released hack contains details of the interface Hotz created and sample code for adding complete read/write access to the PS3 via OtherOS/Linux. It also explains how the hardware is used in opening up the system. In time-honoured hacking fashion, Hotz is glitching the memory bus to effectively turn a small hole in RAM into one that encompasses the entire system.

In terms of what the hack is, what it isn't, and what it potentially leads to, Hotz himself suggests taking a look at yesterday's Digital Foundry article about his work, which explains the relationship between his exploit and the overall security scheme that makes PlayStation 3 one of the most hacker-unfriendly games machine ever released.

Reaction to Geohot's work has been somewhat mixed. While it is acknowledged that the system itself is now more vulnerable to a more concentrated attack, many take issue with Hotz's claims that the PS3 has been "hacked", as the CELL processor's internal decryption algorithms remain impenetrable (for now) and we have yet to see actual "homebrew" code running within the GameOS area of the console.

"Hacking is breaking the security of the system, which I have done," Hotz responded. "I'm not spending my time writing custom firmware, ISO loaders, and an open SDK. Leave that to somebody else...

"I didn't give up, I'm just not spending all day on it anymore. I have other things to do. Just because I don't do something doesn't mean I can't do it. Unlike the iPhone, there isn't a clear definition of hacked (as in unlocked or jailbroken). This is code execution at the highest privilege level."

I guess this'll mean nothing if none of the devs make any apps or custom firmware for it. Someone needs to bring Dark Alex back to the scene.

Back
Top Bottom