PS2

StayingPower

Premiership
2 April 2006
Houston
Manchester United
I'm looking into getting a PS2, what do you guys think? Is it worth it still? Before you say just get a PS3, I'm 16 and don't have a viable source of income besides some $5 allowance + money from some DIY I do for my dad.

Anyway, last-gen I got a Gamecube and I feel I've missed out on a lot of good games - the Final Fantasy series, the Gran Turismo series, and the Metal Gear Solid series.

So does anyone know a good place to get a (preferably new) PS2 cheap?

I don't really know many places, but I do think its worth getting it chipped, since it means you can play patched PES/WE games - imo the best PES/WE games ever made.

Doesn't need to be chipped to play patched PES/WE.

Best option is buying a HDD and installing games onto it, can use memory card exploit with a PS1 game as the trigger disk to boot directly into the HDD.

Well now I'm confused. I've decided to go ahead and get one, but I don't know whether to get the slim or fat version. Apparently the fat version can use a HDD?

No you won't need one, but you get much better performance with one, faster loading speeds, smoother gameplay, can copy edited PES direct to the HDD from the PC so no need to keep burning DVDs.

Actually you can, you can use a USB external HDD with a slim PS2 and boot games from it, wasn't sure myself but just did a quick google ;) although if it were me I'd prefer the fat PS2 with the HDD safely tucked away inside, external things get knocked over and such.......

What would you guys suggest then, fat or slim? The slim has a built in network adapter. The slim I can get new for $130, whereas the fat I can get used for $80, but if I got it I'd pay extra for insurance on it, I think.

Edit: Just saw your post Placebo, in that case there's no point in getting the fat, then?

Well I guess since I play PES on the PC anyway, I don't really have any use for the HDD apart from it speeding up load times, but I can always get an external for the slim. Plus I get the built in network adapter.

I've heard the fat PS2s are faulty though, with disc read errors? On the other hand, I've heard the Slims overheat. Anyone who's had both care to comment?

If you buy a refurb fat it should have a new laser, if you run games from the HDD then you'd barely use the laser other than 1 second per time on the original PS1 game which is the trigger so the laser will be pristine for a long time.

Oh, brilliant. I guess I'll get the fat refurb then. The only thing is I can't find anywhere that sells the HDD.

It'll be written on the back of the PS2
serial_ps2.gif

Ok this is driving me mad, but I think I've made the right decision. I've decided to go with a refurbished fat PS2. Have I made the right or wrong choice (I haven't bought it yet so and can still be swayed with a well thought argument).

Buy Shadow of the Colossus.
The best game of last gen, and I haven't played anything on PS3 that comes close, not even GTAIV or MGS4.

Shadow's good but samey, wasn't as blown away as some.

I could see how some people could think "It's just boss-battles".
For me it was more about the isolation, and exploration of the environment, and the emotional attachment to Agro.
Having loved ICO probably was a big part of it as well, given the shared themes.

Back
Top Bottom