1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

PS2

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by StayingPower, 30 July 2008.

1. StayingPower

StayingPower Premiership

2 April 2006
    Houston
    Manchester United
    I'm looking into getting a PS2, what do you guys think? Is it worth it still? Before you say just get a PS3, I'm 16 and don't have a viable source of income besides some $5 allowance + money from some DIY I do for my dad.

Anyway, last-gen I got a Gamecube and I feel I've missed out on a lot of good games - the Final Fantasy series, the Gran Turismo series, and the Metal Gear Solid series.

So does anyone know a good place to get a (preferably new) PS2 cheap?

2. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    I don't really know many places, but I do think its worth getting it chipped, since it means you can play patched PES/WE games - imo the best PES/WE games ever made.

3. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Doesn't need to be chipped to play patched PES/WE.

Best option is buying a HDD and installing games onto it, can use memory card exploit with a PS1 game as the trigger disk to boot directly into the HDD.

4. Nick Cave

Nick Cave Wrexham fan for my sins...

10 July 2004
    Non football league waste land...
    Wrexham AFC
    It should be easy to pick up a chipped PS2 I would have thought. Check your local shops and games shops for trade ins if your after an un chipped one, otherwise online there should be plenty.

5. StayingPower

StayingPower Premiership

2 April 2006
    Houston
    Manchester United
    Well now I'm confused. I've decided to go ahead and get one, but I don't know whether to get the slim or fat version. Apparently the fat version can use a HDD?

6. matherto

matherto 12 Times

13 October 2004
    St. Helens, Merseyside.
    Manchester United
    Indeed it can.

7. StayingPower

StayingPower Premiership

2 April 2006
    Houston
    Manchester United
    And the slim version can't? Will I actually need a HDD or is just a gimmick?

8. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    No you won't need one, but you get much better performance with one, faster loading speeds, smoother gameplay, can copy edited PES direct to the HDD from the PC so no need to keep burning DVDs.

9. StayingPower

StayingPower Premiership

2 April 2006
    Houston
    Manchester United
    And I can't get one for the slim PS2?

10. matherto

matherto 12 Times

13 October 2004
    St. Helens, Merseyside.
    Manchester United
    Nope.

11. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Actually you can, you can use a USB external HDD with a slim PS2 and boot games from it, wasn't sure myself but just did a quick google ;) although if it were me I'd prefer the fat PS2 with the HDD safely tucked away inside, external things get knocked over and such.......

12. StayingPower

StayingPower Premiership

2 April 2006
    Houston
    Manchester United
    What would you guys suggest then, fat or slim? The slim has a built in network adapter. The slim I can get new for $130, whereas the fat I can get used for $80, but if I got it I'd pay extra for insurance on it, I think.

Edit: Just saw your post Placebo, in that case there's no point in getting the fat, then?

13. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Personally I only ever had fat so that's all I know about so I can't really help you decide I'm afraid :)

14. StayingPower

StayingPower Premiership

2 April 2006
    Houston
    Manchester United
    Well I guess since I play PES on the PC anyway, I don't really have any use for the HDD apart from it speeding up load times, but I can always get an external for the slim. Plus I get the built in network adapter.

I've heard the fat PS2s are faulty though, with disc read errors? On the other hand, I've heard the Slims overheat. Anyone who's had both care to comment?

15. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    If you buy a refurb fat it should have a new laser, if you run games from the HDD then you'd barely use the laser other than 1 second per time on the original PS1 game which is the trigger so the laser will be pristine for a long time.

16. StayingPower

StayingPower Premiership

2 April 2006
    Houston
    Manchester United
    Oh, brilliant. I guess I'll get the fat refurb then. The only thing is I can't find anywhere that sells the HDD.

17. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    You just buy a maxxtor HDD, don't buy an actual official Sony HDD or anything :)

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list

Something like a 40gb Maxxtor IDE HDD and you're laughing :) I had an 80gb and you can get about 20 games on it but if you're only going to stick to PES that's perhaps overkill ;)

18. StayingPower

StayingPower Premiership

2 April 2006
    Houston
    Manchester United
    Thanks Placebo. How will I be able to tell what version PS2 I have?

19. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    It'll be written on the back of the PS2
    [​IMG]

20. StayingPower

StayingPower Premiership

2 April 2006
    Houston
    Manchester United
    They're listed as V1, V2, ect, so I'm guessing that would be version 3?

21. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    If you google or look at the PS2 wiki page you should find the version info :)

22. StayingPower

StayingPower Premiership

2 April 2006
    Houston
    Manchester United
    Ok this is driving me mad, but I think I've made the right decision. I've decided to go with a refurbished fat PS2. Have I made the right or wrong choice (I haven't bought it yet so and can still be swayed with a well thought argument).

23. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    IMO it's the right choice :)

24. StayingPower

StayingPower Premiership

2 April 2006
    Houston
    Manchester United
    I'm looking forward to trying out Football Kingdom with its realistic nets. :DD

25. jonestm

jonestm Guest

Buy Shadow of the Colossus.
    The best game of last gen, and I haven't played anything on PS3 that comes close, not even GTAIV or MGS4.

26. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Shadow's good but samey, wasn't as blown away as some.

27. Abhishek

Abhishek Best player in the world

29 January 2006
    India
    Liverpool
    Great buy. The PS2 has an amazing library.

28. StayingPower

StayingPower Premiership

2 April 2006
    Houston
    Manchester United
    Nevermind, the damn thing broke within 24 hours, I'm taking it back today and not bothering with it anymore.

29. jonestm

jonestm Guest

I could see how some people could think "It's just boss-battles".
    For me it was more about the isolation, and exploration of the environment, and the emotional attachment to Agro.
    Having loved ICO probably was a big part of it as well, given the shared themes.