Pro Retrolution Soccer 1989 - New take on the PSP game...

jajabinx35

Non-League
21 October 2018
Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself. For a while, I've ditched playing the modern PES games, not because I didn't like it....I guess responsibilities started to pile up, so I started moving towards playing handhelds again especially whilst travelling (best way to kill time, right?).

As you may or may not be aware, like the PS2, the PSP also had their share of PES games, which ended with PES 2014...So from the beginning of this year, I've been playing PES PSP through a PSP emulator on my phone...Not only I found it to be convenient, the PSP emulator offered upscaled graphics making it looked like sharpened PS2 game.

So, for a while I've been working on a Mod to revamp the classic PES PSP game...not to the modern era...but actually going back in time (feels like I'm quoting something out from 'Back To The Future Movie'), but going back to 1989. Why you ask? It's something I always wanted to see. There's just that retro wow factor when seeing kits from the 80's. Although I was born in 87, I still appreciated the classic teams and players. And...unless i'm mistaken, there's never really been a modern football game just with teams and players from the late 80s (all I remember is a few arcade games but never really had any licenses or would include the players names etc).

I'm doing this mod as a hobby...but here is some of the details behind this mod:

* Pro Retrolution Soccer 1989 is a modded PSP game that is made for PSP Emulation.
* Although it is being designed for PSP emulation, I will push to have this work on PSP also...(although, this will need it's own set of testing)
* Will contain teams, kits and players from the season 1988-1989
* Champions league campaign will have new videos to match the retro feel (example shown in trailer video)
* There will be a 10 minute Champions League Final Opening Ceremony video when reaching the finals.
* Ingame music will have tracks from the 80's.
* Banners from the pitches will be updated to have adverts from the 1980's.

Current progress so far:

* English Premier League has been updated to reflect 1988-1989 teams
* French League also has kits completed
* Italian is currently being worked on (kits being updated)

Expected release date....I can't really say for now, but will keep this thread posted.

For now, here is an announcement trailer:

Also looking forward to being an active member of this forum to share the PES experience with all. God bless.

Last edited:
Do you make it in a new ISO file? Also, you should apply a wrinkle texture on some of your kits. Like, Chelea's goalkeeper kit looks awful since it's only a plain green texture with Commodore logo stamped on it

Do you make it in a new ISO file? Also, you should apply a wrinkle texture on some of your kits. Like, Chelea's goalkeeper kit looks awful since it's only a plain green texture with Commodore logo stamped on it
Yeah, chances are I will be working on version updates to do improvements like this (this also includes adding player faces, but again this is a big task as it's a new project from scratch). Right now, the most difficult task I'm going through is actually finding kit designs for some teams. I mean, I have to sometimes go on Youtube to look at old matches and take what I can from there.

This mod will be a 5 part ISO release. The reason for this is that I've been working on champions league campaign videos. So basically, when you win the champions league you move onto the next ISO and the ingame champions league videos will comment on your team performance.

Also I've forgot to add trailer 2 to this thread. Here it is:

30 years today. ❤️‍ :RSCARF:
But I'm sure you knew it already and that's why you published that trailer today, didn't you? :COOL:
Main reason why I'm creating this mod lol. Not much love for teams and players from that time. Best match ever (if that match was shown today. Social media would have exploded).

Shame the kids today feel that Man City Aguero goal was the best thing....nothing beats the '89 match.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Has been a while. Just been busy with life but I've picked up again with this mod. Here is the latest progress video.

As you can see, the mod is mainly to capture the 1988-1989 season. It will contain 80's references and include Champions League campaign videos. This video shows one of the campaign videos as an example.

At the moments, the players from the 80's have not been imported in this build, but the final release will include this.

Back
Top Bottom