Post your theory as to why konami can never get animations right

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomas23

League 1
26 July 2003
australia
there's only a handful that are fine, but the rest..not even worth mentioning how bad they are. i find it hard to believe they r mo capped. more like hand animated by a bunch of 8 yr olds

its because theyre fucking using japanese footballers to do the motion capturing work, and their footwork, technique and physique and even their kicking of the ball are pretty different from other world class players. However, this is still not a reason to put in those 'beyond pathetic' animations. THey even got it right in WE5FE and prior versions, so i have no fucking idea what is up with Seabass and co. I have expressed my dissapointment over the animations more than once in this forum and nobody really seem to care much about it, maybe thats why Seabass still think theyre fine.

The team responsible for the animations should be hanged

Last edited:
muffinmak said:
its because theyre fucking using japanese footballers to do the motion capturing work, and their footwork, technique and physique and even their kicking of the ball are pretty different from other world class players. However, this is still not a reason to put in those 'beyond pathetic' animations. THey even got it right in WE5FE and prior versions, so i have no fucking idea what is up with Seabass and co. I have expressed my dissapointment over the animations more than once in this forum and nobody really seem to care much about it, maybe thats why Seabass still think theyre fine.

The team responsible for the animations should be hanged

I agree that some animations are dodgy. But usually these glitches are only apparent upon close scrutiny. It look fine from afar, and usually don't bother me too much when i'm in the midst of playing a game. Only at time when I go to the replays in slow-mo then many flaws are apparent.

Anyway, I don't know what to compare animations against. Real life? There are too many variances in styles and physique. Asian players not good as well. But afterall, it's basically a Japanese game initially targeted at a Japanese market. IMO so far overall, the WE series have some of the best animations and variety that i've seen.

Yeah, I know FIFA did mo-cap Scholes, Henry and Sol Campbell at one time but what about the thousands of generic players in the game. I feel its better to to mo-cap average players to give a more standard feel. Also for signature players all have been manually animated.

For all the few big flaws in animations that we sometimes see, there are tons of subtle little animations that are included that give the game a whole new dimension. Without even scrutinizing everything i've already noticed 3-4 ways players trap the ball. with their foot. Instep/outstep/toe/base. I prefer more quantity as opposed to few but quality. (of course quatity + quality would be brilliant).

Can't seem to think of any that are totally pathetic though. As long as I dont kick/pass/tackle/head the exact same way each and every time, I guess I'm satisfied.

Cheers

what about the "toe poke" shot animation that ends up with the player seemingly getting his legs tangled up together, making him kinda trip?

And i always thought that precisely the animations make PES/WE among the very, very best games...
To all the critics: name me one football or even sports game with better animations.
Let them come...i'm waiting.

I personally love 99% of the animations, especially in WE9 besides that one shooting animation where it looks like a half assed kick when the ball is in the air.

Muffinmak: just read my question and try again...
I was talking about the animations in PES/WE games and asked to give better ones than PES/WE games...Obviously the ones you mentioned are PES/WE games...
Close but no cigar...you won't find any...

i thought the whole thread was about fantomas' gripe on the animations in WE9

i agree WE is unrivaled in terms of the variations in the animations, however it does not mean they are acceptable just because they are the best of the pack overall. WE got no competition because the others are utterly pathetic as well.

Please keep on using the complaints thread, there's no need for opening seperate threads for all the gripes you seem to have.

more like hand animated by a bunch of 8 yr olds
...This is just ridiculous and definitely not the way to start a serious discussion :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom