PORTUGAL thread

Re: Portugal Thread - Aqui batem 10 milhões de corações.

I'm only saying Mourinho is not making the most of Coentrão and that it was a terrible signing as he didn't need him...not because he's not good enough for Real Madrid. Fábio wanted to joined RM, but if he had thought it carefully before, Barcelona, Chelsea or Man Utd would have been a lot better for him, for example.

I think Postiga is better than Almeida who is useless, Oliveira should start ahead of both in all honesty.

Almeida and Postiga are both decent at best and often mediocre. Oliveira is nothing better than 'decent' right now either and not really better than those two. BUT he'd be my 1st choice anyway as he's the one for future and will only grow in form and confidence when they play him. So I'd have had him as my #1 striker for this tournament and in a couple years he'd be a lot better and Portugal may finally have a good striker in him.

BUT, between Almeida and Postiga, I prefer Almeida because he gives Portugal something different. HEIGHT! And a lethal left-foot. Not any other left-footers in attack. And today you saw in 2nd half, he already had a few chances with his head. He missed a very good chance actually but was more involved than Postiga.

I think Postiga is better than Almeida who is useless, Oliveira should start ahead of both in all honesty.

Agree. It's what Paulo Bento lacks really, a bit of courage that can make a huge difference.

They say Nelson Oliveira is a different type of player, but that to me is another way of saying: He can actually play football, while the other two have no noticeable technical skills...

Postiga's skills with the ball have been declining massively, and Hugo Almeida is tall but doesn't know how to header, and is always offside.

Tbh with you, I would pick Postiga over Almeida. They are both average at the best but I like Postiga better because he's a worker, he never quits, he simply never gives up, so I'm all in for that kind of player in my team.

You just can't throw in Nelson Oliveira at this stage. He's a young chap who has plenty of time to develop. No need to rush.

Last edited:

Paulo Bento has a 'thing' for Postiga. I honestly don't know what he sees in him... both fans and press kinda 'forced' him to play Nelson Oliveira instead after first match, but he sticks with Postiga (he managed him at Sporting).
Anyway, to be honest, there's not much where to choose from. João Tomás, an old portuguese striker deserved to be there. Even Ricardo Vaz Te deserved it more than the ones that were called.

Oliveira at the moment isn't really any better than Almeida or Postiga. Maybe only slightly. And of course he lacks their experience especially Postiga's. And it's not like he's done great in the chances he has got yet. He's barely shown much in national team.

BUT, like I said, based on youth and potential, I think he should be #1 striker anyway because he can only get better where as Almeida and Postiga will only get worse from here.

Whatever happens from here on, Portuguese can be proud of this team. Finally, a Team.
Coentrao at Benfica was simply incredible. Check out games from his two seasons before Madrid, and be amazed...

Oliveira at the moment isn't really any better than Almeida or Postiga. Maybe only slightly. And of course he lacks their experience especially Postiga's. And it's not like he's done great in the chances he has got yet. He's barely shown much in national team.

BUT, like I said, based on youth and potential, I think he should be #1 striker anyway because he can only get better where as Almeida and Postiga will only get worse from here.

Nelson Oliveira may not have an actual impact on the game (yet) but I'm pretty certain he's already superior to both Postiga and Hugo in terms of speed and technically (with the ball on his feet).

Nelson Oliveira has some skills that aren't usual in a portuguese striker, that's why there's so much hype around him... but, to be honest, and as a Benfica fan, I think he still has lots to improve (I often get mad at him for always wanting to be the guy on the front page the next morning...he should be much more intelligent playing, and sharing the ball when there's a mate better positioned).
He's far from being deadly finishing, but has a lot of skill for a striker his size. He's the only one capable of holding the ball waiting for the midfielders, and he's much faster than any of the others.
He's young, he hasn't showed much yet. He can be whatever he wants to be, if he tries, he'll improve into a very good player. If he thinks he's already good (just because people have big hopes in him) he'll be nobody in a few years. My opinion, of course.

Yeah, but when you keep making the same mistakes...it can be a sign you're not likely to learn. I hope not...I hope he'll find his way because we really miss a top striker in our national team.

Yeah, but when you keep making the same mistakes...it can be a sign you're not likely to learn. I hope not...I hope he'll find his way because we really miss a top striker in our national team.

Nah mate, he's young and "nervous". Keep in mind that in less than a year he went from u20 where he made a great world cup, to u21 to help with euro 2013 qualifying, to his first appearances on benfica first team, and then called-up to the seniors!

Last edited:

Exactly. Portugal have been missing a good striker for years. Hopefully Nelson can improve to become that over the next few years.

Yes, he is certainly faster and more technically superior to your other strikers. But then he can't head the ball as well as Postiga or Almeida can and lacks their experience.

So there are pros and cons. I would personally play him though and think he may still have a good moment or two left in him in this tournament. Maybe we'll finally see it in semi-final. :)

Ronaldo, Coentrao and Moutinho were great yesterday.
I also like that RB.

Meireles had a bad match, but he is a very good midfielder Frank...Celtic could use a couple of players like him, me thinks (and you know i'm a bit of a Celtic adept).

Against France or Spain we will be playing on the counter a lot, so Nelson should definitely play. He has the speed to keep up with Ronaldo and Nani, as well as better technique than the other two. And he can run for 120 min if necessary, like we saw in last years U20 World Cup.

In the midfield, I'd play Custódio, Moutinho and Hugo Viana, because we need players that can make the transition from defence to offence when we are being pressured high up the pitch. Right now our tactic against that is kick and run, which will NOT WORK against Spain or France.

The Kings.

untitled-114kj0o.gif

:)

Meireles had a bad match, but he is a very good midfielder Frank...Celtic could use a couple of players like him, me thinks (and you know i'm a bit of a Celtic adept).

Sorry mate, you ain't gonna change my mind, I've saw him for the past 2 years and he's rubbish. The only thing I can think that is worse than Raul Meireles football ability, is Raul Meireles haircuts.

Sorry I wouldn't take him on a free for Celtic, regardless of what anyone on here thinks, would stick to what we have....................... or sign someone from Falkirk or Arbroath or something.

FD

You obviously haven't seen enough in 2 years then lol. How many games is that anyway?

He was a great player for Porto and a good one for Liverpool and Chelsea. He's contribute immensely to each team he's played for including Portuguese National team (just not over the past few games)

He'd easily be the best Celtic player if he was to join. But he wouldn't anyway.

He's terribly out of shape, he usually runs all 90 mins.

This. Meireles looks rusty out there. Definitely he is out of shape but he's a decent player.

I think there's more chance of Hayden Pannettierre and Evangeline Lilly having a threesome tomorrow night in my bed than France have of beating Spain.

Don't write off your chances mate! :LOL:

Yeah guy's just out of form and shape a bit. No one who's seen him regularly can deny his quality.

Anyway, it's official! Postiga's out of the semi-final game and that may be not such bad news.

I like Paulo Bento a lot and hope Oliveira gets selected in starting 11.

Moutinho was great against Czech as were most of the team.

Portugal truly deserved it and had probably the easiest game of their tournament in Quarter finals. Truly one-sided.

More of the same, Please!

I only remember that game for the infamous Ronaldo goal that never was but im guessing that wasn't spains first 11?

Cris raped them on that match if history repeats itself we'll be on our way to the final

Oliveira takes the game to calmly, he thinks he is Iniesta in my opinion, Veloso and Moutinho is still better :WORSHIP:

^^^ ???

That GIF of Eusebio and Figo (2 legends) R0cks! I love it! :D Such genuine celebration by Figo!

That match was a friendly and Spain played quite loose. It won't repeat, don't dream of it. My guess is a very hard fought game and if Portugal waits behind it will be a big mistake. They need to attack quickly on the wings like Italy did with long diagonal passing. That's how Barcelona and Spain suffer.

Though, if Spain gets in the flow of the game and Del Bosque isn't deffensive and puts Pedro and Llorente, you may suffer a lot.

My guess is whoever manages to take profit of the few chances will win. Quite obvious, I know, but that's football.

Back
Top Bottom