PORTUGAL thread

Re: Portugal Thread - Aqui batem 10 milhões de corações.

Totally agree.
Best individual performance of the tournament so far. But against a avery weak opponent.

Indeed. Holland were fortunate to make it to the last WC final after Brazil imploded, Uruguay despite missing two of their best players in the semi-final missed several chances.

I don't think any of their current crop of players would trouble the Dutch team's of the seventies or late eighties.

Ronaldo still has that petulant attitude on display last night. And his preening too. Who an earth changes hairstyles at half time ?

His attributes are still reliant on the physical. We'll see how he does as age catches up with him.

If he manages to play like that against tighter defences and teams like Spain or Germany or France I'll change my mind to an extent.

I don't hate Ronaldo as I think he is one of the most talented and hard working footballers today. You can see how hards he worked to reach this level. But this is taking it to far... I may understand before the game but halftime... :LOL:

4521399_460s.jpg

lol I noticed he changed his hair at half time too, but maybe it was a superstition or something,(i hope it is otherwise its a bit sad) and that pic isnt from netherlands game, portugal played in all red yesterday

That picture was't taken at half-time. Probably at a photoshoot because that is Portugals old kit.;)

Not probably, definitely, look at the copyright, it says "2011". ;)

it was before a photshoot or a commercial

Lol thank god otherwise that would've been funniest thing ever! :LMAO:

Who an earth changes hairstyles at half time ?

:D :LOL:

-------

Jokes aside, that PASS from Ronaldo to Nani was MAGNIFICENT! Nani played well but should've really scored that! From 6 yeards out, he missed! Great save by Stekelenburg! Nicely done by Ronaldo! Great player, still no captain material of course.

Lol thank god otherwise that would've been funniest thing ever! :LMAO:

:D :LOL:

-------

Jokes aside, that PASS from Ronaldo to Nani was MAGNIFICENT! Nani played well but should've really scored that! From 6 yeards out, he missed! Great save by Stekelenburg! Nicely done by Ronaldo! Great player, still no captain material of course.

Think the real can opener of a pass on that goal was from Custodio :P

Awesome from Ronaldo the other night, for me the best individual performance so far of the tournament, although personally think he was shit the other two games.

FD

Just heard an interesting fact Ronaldo is the only player since 2004 to have scored in both WC & Euro :)

Now I see, he scored in every tournament since 2004 - the phrasing made it sound like he'd be the only one two score in two different cups since that year.

C'mon Portugal, i believe we will score in the second half.

Brilliant again from him, have to admit, he's playing awesome these 2 games and he's looking like the Maradona of '86 without the better team-mates. He's doing a grand job with players like Meireles (easily the worst midfielder in the tournament, actually a woeful player from what I've saw of his time in Britain anyways) and Veloso (liked him at Lisbon, but Genoa have dragged him way down). Nani was crap too.

Defence has been brilliant, 2 full-backs have been superb.

FD

The thing with watching Ronaldo in this form is that you almost don't register how good he is. As in, imagine if that lil Czech winger had played the same match as Ronaldo, the entire world would have blown a gasket looking to sign him.

But I just expect it from Ronaldo. Oh he created 10 shots and had 30+ touches in the final third? Standard.

Anyway, that's been the most 1-sided match at the Euro's so far. Group A was awful, and it kind of sucks some better teams couldn't have stuck around.

People keep forgetting Moutinho, unbelievable. Ronaldo is on top form and that's been crucial, but you need to notice how important Moutinho actually is to nearly every part of the game.

Everything he does, he does it well, that short sprint and cross proves it.

untitled-114kj0o.gif

Figo celebrating :) eheh

Good shout about Moutinho, he's done well, had a good game tonight. And obviously as I said before feel sorry for the lad playing next to the two donkeys I mentioned earlier.

Oh and the boy Custodio that came on did better than Veloso and Meireles managed all game and he was on for like 5 minutes.

FD

Meireles (easily the worst midfielder in the tournament, actually a woeful player from what I've saw of his time in Britain anyways)

was just about to say that. moutinho and veloso more or less do their jobs for the last two games but he is plain awful.

ronaldo once again shone when it matters most. top performance.

czech didn't have a big threat against portuguese defenders but still pepe and alves' performances were close to perfect. and coentrao somehow becomes a better player when playing for the NT. I always love this guy's style.

portugal had all of the reasons to deserve the victory. congrats.

untitled-114kj0o.gif

Figo celebrating :) eheh

thanks for saving me from searching for this. lovely moment. :)

Eusebio's lost quite a bit of his pace. Look how slow he was out of his chair. :P

Good shout about Moutinho, he's done well, had a good game tonight. And obviously as I said before feel sorry for the lad playing next to the two donkeys I mentioned earlier.

Oh and the boy Custodio that came on did better than Veloso and Meireles managed all game and he was on for like 5 minutes.

FD

Custodio ain't a boy anymore :P He's actually one of those players that got very good with age and experience, and had a wonderful season on Braga this year. And I agree, Meireles hasn't been any good and I simply can't stand Veloso (he hasn't been bad, but he never seems to put any effort on the game).

Agree Custodio has grown so much these few years and his level got even better with age.

About Meireles i think his mental is the problem every game he looks unfocused & totally out of the game which leads to bad calls (poor passes, overpowered shots, crappy decisions..).

Anyway great match tonight, Cris brought his A game and made it happen. I'm hoping to see France win tomorrow so we'll have a fiery Semi-Final!

I think there's more chance of Hayden Pannettierre and Evangeline Lilly having a threesome tomorrow night in my bed than France have of beating Spain.

FD

Coentrão doesn't play better on the national side.. he's simply not performing as expected on Real Madrid because Mourinho insists in using him as a player he isn't, as central midfielder or right back, or anything else.
Coentrão performances as a left back at Benfica were better than he's showing this Euro12, but he's slowly getting to its previous form (as he's playing LB regularly). Coentrão is an excepcional player.
Mourinho is ruining Fábio Coentrão...

What else can Mourinho do really, let Marcelo out? But you're right, that's basically why he underperforms at Real.

The thing I like about Ronaldo at the moment is it seems he's decided to dust off the player that was around prior to becoming just the goal machine, he's got it all at the minute, a ridiculous moment of skill he had in the 2nd half at one point, haven't seen him pull of something that sublime in years.

Another great performance from CR7!

His Real buddy, Coentrao was phenomenal too! This guy f'n RUNS for DAY!! :SHOCK: :LOL:

They're both freaks! Never get tired!

Meireles had a bad performance but I think many are being too harsh on him in this thread. He's a good player.

Postiga's injury looked SERIOUS! Is he out of tournament? It looked like it's his hamstring. I personally prefer Almeida and Nelson Oliveira anyway but he's played decently and has the experience those two don't.

Back
Top Bottom