PORTUGAL thread

Re: Portugal Thread - Aqui batem 10 milhões de corações.

Okay some people are way too harsh on Ronnie. I don't condone that nor is his attitude anywhere as bad as some say.

But what's written below is a FACT!

I have no problem with him playing. He just shouldn't be captain. He has no leadership qualities.

Ronaldo is not captain material. Never was and never will be!

After he missed that sitter and Denmark equalized, he almost had a mental collapse. Seriously, when the camera showed him, it looked as if he was about to cry. And there were other players around him, like Moutinho, patting him in the back and lifting his spirits and saying it's gonna be alright.

This is totally wrong, the captain should never look resigned like that and let his negative emotions show so strongly.

Amen brother.

If someone doesn't see this, then I don't know what they're watching.

A captain is the one who inspires and empowers others. Ronaldo needs a pep talk himself more than anyone else and isn't exactly the best communicator. He's a great individual but hardly a leader.

It's the same for quite a few national teams, where they just appoint their country's biggest star as captain rather than a player who actually shows leadership qualities e.g. Ronaldo, Ibra, Arshavin, Rosicky.

you got some points there but Ibra is real leader just take a look at him on field he's the one that empowers the team & give them fuel to go on whether it's with the club or the NT & actually that's why he never was happy at Barcelona they just wouldn't give him that role ;)

I can't believe you guys are questioning his leadership abilities who the fuck led them to that 2006 semifinal who was the only good thing back in Euro 2008? & Enzo comparing him to Messi you that was only a friendly against Brasil he'll choke as soon as it'll get official!
I know he's not that much of a team player but that doesn't mean he's not for the team's win he just tries his own way sometimes it pays sometimes it just doesn't, but he's still the best European player out-here i don't care what you think just remember this he'll score against Holland!
We(Portugal) are their worst nightmare in 10 confrontation Portugal won 6, drew on 3 & lost just once & it was back in 1991!! almost 2 decades ago.
So don't worry guy we're in it to win it & get to the next round ;)

Don't bother comparing him to Messi.

In attitude, class and sheer talent Messi outranks Ronaldo. And if you'd actually bothered to watch Argentina's recent competitive games one can see Messi starting to match his club form for country.

Notwithstanding the fact that before that he was already creating and being the focal point for the side in the Copa and WC2010 despite having clowns for coaches.

His recent outburst after the Danish and neutral fans in an amusing fashion started to chant Messi shows the sort of dignity he has.

He's not even the world's second best player. Iniesta is.

His lack of workrate in covering the midfield, his solo celebrations while Varela scores. His castigating of Postiga when Postiga played the right pass to a player in space and then followed that up by haranguing the young and promising Nelson Oliveira says it all about his egomaniacal character.

The more tantrums he throws like that the more unliked he will become.

Don't bother comparing him to Messi.

In attitude, class and sheer talent Messi outranks Ronaldo. And if you'd actually bothered to watch Argentina's recent competitive games one can see Messi starting to match his club form for country.

I always watch la Celeste's games thank you! Because i'm big fan ;)

Yes Messi is always amazing on friendlies & this isn't the first time he won against Brazil that way but he never stepped up to his leading role sadly, and that's why Róman was way better than him.

Ever since Copa America 2007 where he was the best young player (well at least for me) he never showed up anything great with la Selección in official matches & it's not just me saying that it's a proven fact (WC 2010, Copa Amércia 2011).

There isn't one thing i would love more than to see him do well that way he'll shut all the haters (including myself) & Argentina will finally win something, it's been a long time since we hardly won anything or even done something :(

actually messi's performances have usually (if not always) been quite as good from what I've seen. it's just the statistics that overshadow this fact. of course any player can have his bad day time to time but football is a team game and if your team doesn't have a fairly good all-round squad bla bla bla... I'm so tired and bored with this same old stuff.

anyway, hope Ronaldo sorts out the psychological issues with him asap and shuts the filthy mouths of the imbecile haters around.

Yeah I don't get it. I watch EVERY Minute of EVERY game in official competitions like Euro's and World Cup and Messi played very well in WC2010.

The fact that Argentina disappointed and had the clown Maradonna in charge who was very clueless, seems to have overshadowed his individual brilliance. But I quite vividly remember him taking on defenders, beating them with ease, running the show, etc.

I remember in Greece vs. Argentina for example, he was Man of the Match. He did everything but score I think and ran past defenders and hit the post! Taht doesn't mean poor performance. So I agree with Kanoute, sometimes stats can lie. To say Messi had a bad World Cup is BS. He was one of Argentina's best players if not best player.

Where was everyone?

Are you kidding? Argentina's defense got RAPED by Ozil, Muller and co and their fast pace passing and movement.

Is Lionel supposed to come and sort out the defense too? That's where the weakness of Coach and squad are seen.

He wasn't great in that game but NO ONE was.

Touché but still at least he could've done something ;)
anyway let's fucking stop with this shit it's irritating

Os Navegadores For the win !

Last edited:

lol, don't know man. When you're outplayed by the better team with the better organizationg and the better coach, you just are.

Germany 2010 >>>>> Argentina 2010 for many many reasons. Messi has very little to do with that.

Anyway, let's get back on topic. Portugal National Team! :)

I find it annoying that Veloso has his first name "Miguel" on back of his shirt.

I still feel sorry about guys like Riquelme, Cambiasso and Zanetti for that world cup.

yeah, Veloso. he is a handsome player.

:D

well atleast miguel is actually part of his name, players like Hulk and Ukra are annoying cos that is just a nickname..im not having a go i just dont know why they do this. i remember few years back when rooney wanted wazza on the back of his shirt but FA told him to behave and not be a nob..

I agree with the comments in here about Ronaldo being unfit for captaincy. Is he the kind of personality you would look up to for encouragement and leadership? Not in a million years. He's too self-centred and egotistical for that. That's nothing unusual. Many of the great players through history have been the same. Great players don't always make great captains.

He is Portugal's single stand-out talent at the moment and the pressure of an entire nation rests heavy on his shoulders. It's clearly too much for him. At Madrid he shares the burden of pressure with other superstars, but for Portugal everything is expected of him. He should be relieved of the captaincy - and therefore some of the pressure - so that he can concentrate purely on his football.

Another problem with Cristiano's personality is that he appears to have little tolerance for players of a lesser ability i.e. the rest of the Portugal squad. He constantly berates and throws his arms about at team-mates because they aren't playing at his 'level'. That's a terrible way to behave and is very destructive for the whole team. I sometimes wonder if Portugal would be better off without him as they could form a tighter unit.

I agree with the comments in here about Ronaldo being unfit for captaincy. Is he the kind of personality you would look up to for encouragement and leadership? Not in a million years. He's too self-centred and egotistical for that. That's nothing unusual. Many of the great players through history have been the same. Great players don't always make great captains.

He is Portugal's single stand-out talent at the moment and the pressure of an entire nation rests heavy on his shoulders. It's clearly too much for him. At Madrid he shares the burden of pressure with other superstars, but for Portugal everything is expected of him. He should be relieved of the captaincy - and therefore some of the pressure - so that he can concentrate purely on his football.

Another problem with Cristiano's personality is that he appears to have little tolerance for players of a lesser ability i.e. the rest of the Portugal squad. He constantly berates and throws his arms about at team-mates because they aren't playing at his 'level'. That's a terrible way to behave and is very destructive for the whole team. I sometimes wonder if Portugal would be better off without him as they could form a tighter unit.

Before this turns into a yet another Messi versus Ronaldo debate which is pointless because Messi is in another class let me remind you only an idiot would play two wingers in central midfield along with just 1 DM as well as playing a natural centreback Otamendi at right back (not to mention the fact he is a terrible player).

Wind back to that WC quarter final and that is exactly what happened.

Insofar as recent performances have gone Nani has shown more than Ronaldo in terms of creating chances and being a team player.

If Ronaldo want's to be effective he should look to be more of a team player rather than him + 10.

He seems to treat his team mates as supplicants who should be worshipping the altar of Ronaldo. Again a completely different mindset to Leo.

Seriously, the problem isn't Ronaldo, its the midfield. Ronaldo will score next game, trust me on this. ;)

And he did it. With Viana instead Meireles & Oliveira instead Postiga we would be stronger.

Good job Portugal. Excellent day for Ronaldo. They made everyone proud today. Teamspirit will always bring the best out of the individual, especially in national teams. Thank you Selecção Nacional. This mindset will take you far, undoubtly. Do not underestimate the Czechs.

he showed the perfect performance, he did everything today ...

Yes, I think It was Day of Ronaldo. Finally this the player has scored, and I hope that it will dispel a cloud of some criticism on himself.

I frankly hope people continue to bash and hate on Ronaldo. Tonight Ronaldo has shut some mouths, including mine.

Do you mean the hatred of the fans gives him strength, and universal love breaks down?

The first one. I meant, the entire country spent the whole week in this peculiar "rant and rave" towards Cristiano Ronaldo (some of them rightfully so though, when it comes to the criticism on his attitude on the field). He is the type of person who enjoys being on the line waiting the moment to shine and shut down the critics.

Last edited:

He does thrive on proving people wrong.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. ;) Then, I agree with The_Special_One, since this is much nicer to see Ronaldo, struggling to the last, than creep across the field.

The first one. I meant, the entire country spent the whole week in this peculiar "rant and rave" towards Cristiano Ronaldo (some of them rightfully so though, when it comes to the criticism on his attitude on the field). He is the type of person who enjoys being on the line waiting the moment to shine and shut down the critics.
Sorry, did not notice your post at first, but now everything is clear, "more criticism - higher skills" (how does this rule was necessary for our team before the match against Greece, but it's too late :ROLL:).

Last edited:

cr7insults.jpg

:))

Great performance.

He could've had four or five to be fair to him. Excellent response, gave van der Wiel a torrid time.

Special mention for Nani, who has been Portugal's best player so far. Consistently put in some fantastic deliveries from that right wing, yet again.

Back
Top Bottom