PORTUGAL thread

Re: Portugal Thread - Aqui batem 10 milhões de corações.

This, Amineken, kills national teams. Not because of me, or you, but in general there´s the feeling that you are not good enough, don´t have what it takes, wich obviously kills confidence and stops development, because you sense you´ll go nowhere and all your sacrifices will be in vain! So, youngsters won´t sacrifice too much, and yes, if the chances do come they will depend on luck also. Wingers are the shit here. Centre backs are respected, and now there is a passion for the box to box midfielder... and thats it. There are no nr 10´s, strikers serve to hold the ball, or flicking it to the fast wingers, and fullbacks serve to defend almost exclusively. (that is why our good attacking fullbacks in the past years where all wingers first...). The formula is not working for Portugal football, there is no Portuguese football. And i remind Pauleta being the best all time scorer for Portugal, and never playing in the portuguese league... this says all.

Good points Me!TheRaven

The system is clearly flawed in many ways.

I know the world has changed. As a kid i spent days and nights playing football wherever. I see no kids playing football in the streets these days... pure talent, still existing ,has become harder to find. On another level, after the rise of Mourinho, all levels of football here in Portugal suffer from what i call The Special One syndrome. Teams were known for players they had; now they are known as Coach A,B or Y team. Players became mere instruments/numbers in the hands of many new wave coaches who aspire to reach Mourinho´s heights, having no respect for men who also have their goals an d dreams. This has taken many youngsters to other sports, because the old dream of being a unknown player and evolving to the favourite of your club is long gone. Agents now rule football and act as they please. Bébé, such a regular Joe in our football, as so many, costed Manchester United 10 million, just because he pleased the right guys in the right time (guimaraes pre season). So many better than Bébé still play in the lower divisions...

Jesus Christ, I feel I've lost 10 years of my life watching this. You almost killed me Ronaldo! :LOL:

portugal's midfield simply sucks.

Ronaldo... :DOH:

And then he didn't even bother to celebrate Varela's important winner with the rest of the team.

But he's the most inform player in the world, right TSO? :SMUG:

lol every great player has an easy chance not scored.

Lol, Ronaldo is the biggest choker ever. It wasn't one chance.

Thank god for Varela (and thank GOD, Bento brought him on instead of Quaresma who instead of scoring that goal would've been doing silly outside of foot Crosses :LOL:)

Denmark played well and deserved something out of that game.

Great game by Pepe again!

So much talk about Ronaldo not having quality players around him. They saved his ass today. I think this will be good for his attitude.

A player that score 3 goals all of the season won the match w/ a hard taken shot...only in futbol ! :BOP:

A player that score 3 goals all of the season won the match w/ a hard taken shot...only in futbol ! :BOP:

Yeah, thats football. And, imo, he's a mediocre player. :))

But, imo, P. Bento was the most responsible for the conceded goal. Seriously, he was waiting for the 2-2 to take Meireles or Veloso. It was so obvious, Hugo Viana & Custodio needed to get in, but hes too proud concerning Viana. Somehow, Varela saved his/our ass. Unfortunately, i think he will keep the same midfield next game.

If Ronaldo took the first chance he had, Denmark would have a hard time avoiding thrashing. Then he went to embarass himself, and we had to suffer just because he won´t help defending and Paulo Bento(or anyone(Mourinho?) let the primadonna stay that way... The goals were not the defence or midfield blame. The first is an excellent move, the second an excellent cross from, you guessed, the right side. At least take the armband off, and give it to Pepe or Moutinho. Those guys give everything, and deserve it millions more than you, fucking primadonna. IT WAS EMBARASSING TO WATCH...cronaldo...

Bruno Alves or Raul Meireles or Moutinho should be captain in that order.

Pepe plays great for Portugal but would be a horrible example to reward with captaincy and make the whole world hate Portugal.

I've always been against Ronaldo being 'Captain'. He's not an influential guy and not one who can INSPIRE or MOTIVATE others. He's a great professional himself, but not a charming man to be able to have influence over others and motivate them like van Bommel let's say. I don't know why he's captain when he's so not suited to being captain.

Bruno Alves did his job as 'captain' of Porto much better and is much more of a leader. Raul Meireles and Moutinho aren't great captains either but at least better than Ronaldo.

man Cris was out headed today i didn't expect him to play like this! I mean this is one of his worst matches including the Barça ones, a lot of bad finishing, terrible choices i tough he got rid of these the last two years :O

I think people are overreacting. Cristiano Ronaldo just had a bad game, don't crucify him. Yes, he had an awful game, a turrible one like Charles Barkley says but I'm pretty sure he will bounce back rather sooner than later, hopefully Sunday against Holland. Imo, this is all about confidence and, tbh with you, he seems a bit lost since that penalty kick against Bayern. He will be back on track I'm sure. :)

I agree with Kanoute in a certain way. Our midfield, besides Veloso who's doing a phenomenal job I must say, really sucks. Moutinho and Meireles have been poor since the first minute. In my point of view, they really don't mesh at all and I guess we are missing a little bit of creativity there (but hey, we don't have any creative midfielder in our roster! Damn Danny, I miss you so much!).

Plenty agree with Zeem. Our team is far from being a stacked team but at least we have good players like Coentrão, Pepe and Nani (who played great today) out there. Nonetheless, we just aren't as good as Germany or Spain. :(

Last edited:

Veloso, Meireles and Moutinho are broadly similar players.

You don't need all three of them in there, maybe drop Meireles and bring in Varela, so you have Ronnie, Nani and Varela interchanging behind whoever the striker is.

I'd like to see Oliveira start, he's been impressive so far.

I can accept Ronaldo missing two open goals (it happens, even if my old grandma could score the 2nd one...) but I cannot accept his attitude on the field, like a primadonna that can't help defending. Coentrão was getting 2 guys over him all the time and Ronaldo didn't help at all...we all know how it ended. As long as Ronaldo is treated as above our national team, we won't get far. And yes, he can be substituted or even start on the bench. Maybe that's what he needs.

We won´t get through because of goal difference, trust me on this.I can see it coming...

Seriously, the problem isn't Ronaldo, its the midfield. Ronaldo will score next game, trust me on this. ;)

Ronaldo is a great player and will bounce back. He just had a bad game.

The fact that he's Captain is the real problem. Even Ronaldo's biggest fanboys will tell you, he's a great individual, but he's not able to lead/inspire others. His personality just doesn't have that in him.

Pepe and Bruno Alves are both much bigger leaders than Ronaldo will ever be.

One question: how are people in Portugal reacting about Ronaldo's attitude?
I don't like Ronaldo, never liked his attitude. In fact i can't remember a single player whose attitude has disgusted me more in the 42 years i watch football. So i admit i'm prejudiced. But i watched the match with my wife and kids and this must be the first team since i know her that my wife started to watch a match and watched until the end because she was fascinated with Ronaldo. Both her and my kids also thought he was acting like a major asshole (i never say negative things about players in front of my kids). So, i guess there must be something wrong.

I would have substituted him. Here is a guy who is a wonderfull player and who has lots of talent, but he clearly sees himself as bigger than the team. I would not take him in my sqaud. I'm pretty sure as a team Portugal are better off without him.

PS: what about Dani? Is he in the sqaud, and if not, why?

While Ronaldo can't score, Messi scores 3.. pretty much sum ups the final hurdle for golden ball, Ronaldo is even worse in Portugal NT than Messi in Argentina NT.

Selfish overconfident bastard!

I think Bruno Alves played a good game despite 2 goals, btw guys he is for sell in Zenit, I think he raised his price a bit. Lovely jumping + Long pass.

Postiga is ok, but not a player that can drag you through 1/8 and 1/4.

Well as a United fan I'm pleased for Nani, thought he was immense yesterday, his final ball was consistently good and he performed well defensively too, tracking back well.

We're still talking about Ronaldo though, I think he suffers when he feels the urge to prove himself (in World Cups/European Championships, and United fans will remember in the CL final vs Barcelona). Being the captain of the national team certainly will not lessen this pressure, so in all honesty I agree with the idea of giving the armband to someone else.

Last edited:

I can't believe you guys are questioning his leadership abilities who the fuck led them to that 2006 semifinal who was the only good thing back in Euro 2008? & Enzo comparing him to Messi you that was only a friendly against Brasil he'll choke as soon as it'll get official!
I know he's not that much of a team player but that doesn't mean he's not for the team's win he just tries his own way sometimes it pays sometimes it just doesn't, but he's still the best European player out-here i don't care what you think just remember this he'll score against Holland!
We(Portugal) are their worst nightmare in 10 confrontation Portugal won 6, drew on 3 & lost just once & it was back in 1991!! almost 2 decades ago.
So don't worry guy we're in it to win it & get to the next round ;)

I can't believe you guys are questioning his leadership abilities who the fuck led them to that 2006 semifinal who was the only good thing back in Euro 2008? & Enzo comparing him to Messi you that was only a friendly against Brasil he'll choke as soon as it'll get official!
I know he's not that much of a team player but that doesn't mean he's not for the team's win he just tries his own way sometimes it pays sometimes it just doesn't, but he's still the best European player out-here i don't care what you think just remember this he'll score against Holland!
We(Portugal) are their worst nightmare in 10 confrontation Portugal won 6, drew on 3 & lost just once & it was back in 1991!! almost 2 decades ago.
So don't worry guy we're in it to win it & get to the next round ;)

I will reply to you after Portugal - Netherlands game :COOL:

Ronaldo is not captain material. Never was and never will be!

After he missed that sitter and Denmark equalized, he almost had a mental collapse. Seriously, when the camera showed him, it looked as if he was about to cry. And there were other players around him, like Moutinho, patting him in the back and lifting his spirits and saying it's gonna be alright.

This is totally wrong, the captain should never look resigned like that and let his negative emotions show so strongly.

Not to mention his big ego, of course. He was shitting his pants when Denmark equilized but even so, when Varela bailed him out of total failure, Ronaldo wasn't big enough a man to celebrate with his colleagues. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see him running to that human pyramid.

Some teams in this Euro need some serious ego management!

People say Pepe had a great game as it was a flawless performance - it was far from flawless guys, he let Bendtner equalize with a free heather!

Won´t put my money on that one(Portugal v Holland).
About the Ronaldo Farce; My experience tells me, when on the pitch, you forget about names and roles, but what you never forget is attitude. Bad games, great misses happen only to those who are there, but yesterday, with a "lesser" player in his position, Portugal could have thrashed Denmark easily in the second half. His attitude i´ll never forget, i´ll never forgive. No one is bigger than the team, and if one is, he must pretend otherwise for the sake of everybody. Portugal is more than Ronaldo, and the other players clearly resent,( in the least, his armband,) that he believes otherwise.

Last edited:

I have a strange feeling: Ronaldo will turn into Ronildo during this EC - no more goals unless Portugal is given a penalty in advance...

Nevertheless I think they will finish the groupstage on 2nd place, yesterday they played well as a team, though Ronaldo acted like a primadonna / diva or whatsoever. he shows a really bad attitude on the field in my opinion.

Won´t put my money on that one(Portugal v Holland).
About the Ronaldo Farce; My experience tells me, when on the pitch, you forget about names and roles, but what you never forget is attitude. Bad games, great misses happen only to those who are there, but yesterday, with a "lesser" player in his position, Portugal could have thrashed Denmark easily in the second half. His attitude i´ll never forget, i´ll never forgive. No one is bigger than the team, and if one is, he must pretend otherwise for the sake of everybody. Portugal is more than Ronaldo, and the other players clearly resent,( in the least, his armband,) that he believes otherwise.

This is exactly why Messi always win in comparison with Ronaldo.. He is humble, assisting, not selfish and generally "good" person.

Its kinda like comparing Pep and Mou, Pep is good guy Mou is bad guy. Both are great coaches, but as our society(in general) is still a good natured, we ofc prefer people that are good natured.

Ronaldo is never going to change...

Back
Top Bottom