Votes: 87 21.9%
  • WE 9LE

Votes: 32 8.1%
  • WE7 (JAP)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • WE 8LE

Votes: 4 1.0%

• Total voters
Because the overall gameplay balance and deph perfected in we9le/pes6 outweights the benefits of manual controls/360 dribbling in pes 2013 for many people still.
In fact ps2 gen games also have got manual pass which very underrated by most players, bloody hard to master it tho as controls not very convenient

theres more than just 360 dribbling thats updated in next gen. there are many aspects that make playing older ps2 pes games seem obselete in many ways.

But once u get into the game and lose your mind eg...a close game looking for a goal and u forget all graphical and technical issued a game like pes5 can be gripping.

I think thats why it can still be a great game. It can be tense and emotional lol.

But to pick up n play these days its obsolete.

Though IMO fifa 13/pes 2013 can also be intense human vs human so why go back?

Playing older game is obsolete?

I don't know about others, but if I'm playing a game, I'm kinda selfish in that regard, meaning I will be playing the game that seems best for me, and gives me the most enjoyment. Reading some people's opinion, it almost seems to me, as the KONAMI or EA are paying those people to play the newest Fifa or newest Pes, or like it would be a big shame to them if they didn't play the most recent title. Forget the game is not as fun, or nice, but hey, it's the newest game in town, so I HAVE to play that, right?

Playing Pes2013 just because it has 360 and other couple nice features and totaly neglect many things that are so wrong with this game, and that would just piss me off completely if I played this game more than a week, is the most moronic thing I can think ever. Unless ofcourse I was 10 year old, who if only see nice hair on Cristiano Ronaldo's head he thinks this is best football game ever.

I couldn't give a lick of how pes looks like. All I care about is enjoyment of the game, and when I play football game, call me oldfashion, but I'm looking for a game that as closely resemble the football on TV as possible (taking also into consideration it has to be shortened to 15-25 minutes of time, instead of 90) in terms of gameplay. That is number 1 for me.

So until the newest pes or fifa(don't really care which, I'm a consumer, if Hannah Montana made the most realistic football game ever, I would play "Hannah Montana Football" - the next thing that put smile on my face when I read pes/fifa fanboys) gives me more pleasure of playing football game, you will excuse me, but I will stick with what I got now that is the closest to that goal, and that is we9le. There is no other game like that, till this point.

cheers
Luk

Yea, looks good in the video but at the end of the day for me it just doesn't feel that good to play, like all the PES games since PES 6. I don't know whether it's the physics, gameplay balance, camera views, animations, trite masterleague, lack of presentation or a combination of many things... but while the old PES games now look antiquated in some ways, they feel so good to play. Very hard to explain really.

h like i said earlier the old pes games seem to create more tension and flow and excitement. I dont know how but they did

played quite a bit of we9le back to back with pes 2013 tonight.

Heres my thoughts

- We9le is much more arcadish but IMO this is mainly due to speed of game. Pes 2013 at +2 is still probably slower than We9le which is prob the slowest pes ps2 game.

-After playing we9le it is impossible to play pes 2013 at default speed it feels sluggish and boring. +1,2 changes that.

-We9le and PES 2013 play out very very similar in gameplay, build up movements and just overall IMO. Only downside to pes 2013 is the CPu seems to make more through ball moves as its main form of attack to often but its not that bad.

Overall, we9le and pes 2013 felt very simialr to me but with the modern upgrades in pes 2013 animations, 360 dribbling, 1st touches, collisions, physics and of course graphics for me its the superior game. But I was playing on +1 speed. I think default is ok but its far more simulation feel to it. On +1,2 its like a misx of arcade and slightly more fun.

played quite a bit of we9le back to back with pes 2013 tonight.

Heres my thoughts

- We9le is much more arcadish but IMO this is mainly due to speed of game. Pes 2013 at +2 is still probably slower than We9le which is prob the slowest pes ps2 game.

-After playing we9le it is impossible to play pes 2013 at default speed it feels sluggish and boring. +1,2 changes that.

-We9le and PES 2013 play out very very similar in gameplay, build up movements and just overall IMO. Only downside to pes 2013 is the CPu seems to make more through ball moves as its main form of attack to often but its not that bad.

Overall, we9le and pes 2013 felt very simialr to me but with the modern upgrades in pes 2013 animations, 360 dribbling, 1st touches, collisions, physics and of course graphics for me its the superior game. But I was playing on +1 speed. I think default is ok but its far more simulation feel to it. On +1,2 its like a misx of arcade and slightly more fun.

The only con people will read from your post about we9le is that it's too fast for your liking. This is the only reason that one can read from your post, why the game is arcadish to you. Personaly if I was to call other football game arcadish, I would give more reasons to it, and I would not focus on the speed of the game, as it can be changed with various tools on the web, in most pes games.

There are 2 things.

WE9LE is still from the time, when the games were not optimised universaly, but when the speed of games was dependent upon the machine it was played on. Lets not forget pes3 was the first PC PES KONAMI did. I had machines were the game was about 1.2x faster than it should be.

And two, I assume you played the default we9le correct?

I really get confused over the perceived 'arcade' nature of a game or otherwise.

Let me expand.

I have PES6 on the PC with option file. The option file which obviously changes the teams, leagues and players combined with the gameplay tweaks that all but eliminates the 'cheap' ways to play PES6. I'm thinking cheap wing play and the cut back goal in particular. This has balanced the game even more IMO.

Now, on my revised PES6 ball speed has also been made perfect. I've played WE9LE before, and the best thing I can say about what I'm playing right now is that it's like that, only you can't spam long shots with great effect.

Okay, now back to this 'arcade' argument.

PES 2013 is a good game. It is primarily a forward orientated game though that rewards quick fire play. It pays for you to break forward fast and the through ball becomes way, way too effective. Once you know your angles, particularly on the flanks when breaking forward, you can basically have a field day with the through ball if you want. The bottom line, I can if I wish, play a certain way to beat the game on Superstar whilst maintaining ridiculously high possession stats.

Because of the introduction of 360 movement it makes players, all players, too responsive especially in tight situations. I can turn on a dime with anyone. I can also go forward more or less all the time because of the ease in which I can manipulate any player to create almost infinite angles in any given circumstance. Players do feel slightly different, but players still are way on the wrong end of the response scale.

And also, as we all know, the CPU build up play borders on ridiculous most of the time. Rarely passing back, rarely aware of the pitch situation, and mostly just dribbling forward with any player with great impunity and a total lack of respect for keeping possession. It's like it's programmed for the kids generation who'll get the ball back double quick time. Quite honestly, when was the last time you played 2013 and the computer held possession for around ONE MINUTE of earth time...which happens quite frequently on older PES'.

Therefore loss of possession can be frustrating as you then have to play a patient defensive game and play it properly to get the ball back. It's this that breaks the game up. You can lose tempo as quickly as you found it. Through a period of loss of concentration, you can find the game becoming scrappy, with lots of possession turnover. Mean while the clock is running down as possession between you and the CPU is more proportionate. You learn to respect possession. And you learn that sprint whoring and using sprint and through balls is just a no-no.

Midfield play and tactics. Quite simply, you can play a midfield game as it becomes so important. They are not simply a vehicle for the ball to be transitioned from defence to attack to sprint whore and through ball, but rather to slow the game down and create angles and space. Technicians suddenly become all important as they have just that much more responsiveness on the 8 axis than anybody else. I'm thinking the difference between Gerrard who is weighty, tackles well but is slightly slow and cumbersome compared to Sahin who feels much more nimble, responsive on the stick and turns quicker.

Player positioning. Quite simply, the way the players are positioned both for and against the CPU in 2013 just makes it an inevitable counter fest. There's just too much space and not enough awareness to stop players in their tracks. How many times in PES 2013 do you see a barren acreage in the middle of the park for both the CPU and the human? You can put 5, 6, 7 in midfield and give them all DMF status, they'll still all do their own thing. Added to this that primarily (after a little while in ML) games do start to become monotonous in the way then pan out with the CPU defending deep and hitting on the break. Possession stats then are totally out of whack.

Game balance. We all know what I mean here, because of all the things mentioned above the older games just are more balanced. Defence becomes a skill with the emphasis being on giving the player the control and manipulating his player to cut down space and defend properly. The CPU will then react accordingly and still not plough forward regardless.

PES 2013 using Jenkey's too slow things down and tweak here and there is still a good option. This creates the illusion of slower CPU build up play by slowing gamespeed down and slowing ball speed down whilst increasing shot power and curve.

But you're still left with the game being too responsive and each and every player turning on a sixpence.

So personally, after all is said and done, the more 'arcade' game has to be by definition, 2013?!? I'd be interested to know others' opinions.

Some of you really need to put back pes3 or we7int on your ps2 (the pc version was crap).

That game is still today the best in term of gameplay. As much as i enjoy we9lek i still feel the game is not as good as pes3. There is an unmatched beauty about pes3, even in visual terms.

And the voting in favour of pes6 strongly suggests people like fast, arcadish and unbalanced gameplay. pes6 is probably my least favourite all time konami game (old gen of coruse). dribbling and cutback non sense, no timing for tackling, sprintwhores, 0 fatigue etc etc.

Some of you really need to put back pes3 or we7int on your ps2 (the pc version was crap).

That game is still today the best in term of gameplay. As much as i enjoy we9lek i still feel the game is not as good as pes3. There is an unmatched beauty about pes3, even in visual terms.

And the voting in favour of pes6 strongly suggests people like fast, arcadish and unbalanced gameplay. pes6 is probably my least favourite all time konami game (old gen of coruse). dribbling and cutback non sense, no timing for tackling, sprintwhores, 0 fatigue etc etc.

I agree PES6 PS2 was too fast and arcadey, but I can't see how people can say the same about a modded PC version. Just my two cents though.

The only con people will read from your post about we9le is that it's too fast for your liking. This is the only reason that one can read from your post, why the game is arcadish to you. Personaly if I was to call other football game arcadish, I would give more reasons to it, and I would not focus on the speed of the game, as it can be changed with various tools on the web, in most pes games.

There are 2 things.

WE9LE is still from the time, when the games were not optimised universaly, but when the speed of games was dependent upon the machine it was played on. Lets not forget pes3 was the first PC PES KONAMI did. I had machines were the game was about 1.2x faster than it should be.

And two, I assume you played the default we9le correct?

yes speed is variable so disregarding speed i would say that pes2013 and we9le play out very similar.

IMO pes 2013 is pretty much a next gen pes5, sltogugh somehwat different in some ways, playing the 2 back to back i feel in many ways the games are identical.

With the modern stuff in pes 2013 obvs thats the game to chose for me,

I really get confused over the perceived 'arcade' nature of a game or otherwise.

Let me expand.

I have PES6 on the PC with option file. The option file which obviously changes the teams, leagues and players combined with the gameplay tweaks that all but eliminates the 'cheap' ways to play PES6. I'm thinking cheap wing play and the cut back goal in particular. This has balanced the game even more IMO.

Now, on my revised PES6 ball speed has also been made perfect. I've played WE9LE before, and the best thing I can say about what I'm playing right now is that it's like that, only you can't spam long shots with great effect.

PES 2013 is a good game. It is primarily a forward orientated game though that rewards quick fire play. It pays for you to break forward fast and the through ball becomes way, way too effective. Once you know your angles, particularly on the flanks when breaking forward, you can basically have a field day with the through ball if you want. The bottom line, I can if I wish, play a certain way to beat the game on Superstar whilst maintaining ridiculously high possession stats.

Because of the introduction of 360 movement it makes players, all players, too responsive especially in tight situations. I can turn on a dime with anyone. I can also go forward more or less all the time because of the ease in which I can manipulate any player to create almost infinite angles in any given circumstance. Players do feel slightly different, but players still are way on the wrong end of the response scale.

And also, as we all know, the CPU build up play borders on ridiculous most of the time. Rarely passing back, rarely aware of the pitch situation, and mostly just dribbling forward with any player with great impunity and a total lack of respect for keeping possession. It's like it's programmed for the kids generation who'll get the ball back double quick time. Quite honestly, when was the last time you played 2013 and the computer held possession for around ONE MINUTE of earth time...which happens quite frequently on older PES'.

Therefore loss of possession can be frustrating as you then have to play a patient defensive game and play it properly to get the ball back. It's this that breaks the game up. You can lose tempo as quickly as you found it. Through a period of loss of concentration, you can find the game becoming scrappy, with lots of possession turnover. Mean while the clock is running down as possession between you and the CPU is more proportionate. You learn to respect possession. And you learn that sprint whoring and using sprint and through balls is just a no-no.

Midfield play and tactics. Quite simply, you can play a midfield game as it becomes so important. They are not simply a vehicle for the ball to be transitioned from defence to attack to sprint whore and through ball, but rather to slow the game down and create angles and space. Technicians suddenly become all important as they have just that much more responsiveness on the 8 axis than anybody else. I'm thinking the difference between Gerrard who is weighty, tackles well but is slightly slow and cumbersome compared to Sahin who feels much more nimble, responsive on the stick and turns quicker.

Player positioning. Quite simply, the way the players are positioned both for and against the CPU in 2013 just makes it an inevitable counter fest. There's just too much space and not enough awareness to stop players in their tracks. How many times in PES 2013 do you see a barren acreage in the middle of the park for both the CPU and the human? You can put 5, 6, 7 in midfield and give them all DMF status, they'll still all do their own thing. Added to this that primarily (after a little while in ML) games do start to become monotonous in the way then pan out with the CPU defending deep and hitting on the break. Possession stats then are totally out of whack.

Game balance. We all know what I mean here, because of all the things mentioned above the older games just are more balanced. Defence becomes a skill with the emphasis being on giving the player the control and manipulating his player to cut down space and defend properly. The CPU will then react accordingly and still not plough forward regardless.

PES 2013 using Jenkey's too slow things down and tweak here and there is still a good option. This creates the illusion of slower CPU build up play by slowing gamespeed down and slowing ball speed down whilst increasing shot power and curve.

But you're still left with the game being too responsive and each and every player turning on a sixpence.

So personally, after all is said and done, the more 'arcade' game has to be by definition, 2013?!? I'd be interested to know others' opinions.

id agree with most of what you said tbh and yeh that is a problem CPU to direct, through balls to effective. If you lose ball its CPU all out attack at you most often.

However overall when im in possesion and making moves it feels similar to me playing we9le.

Overall though apart from the cpu over direct and through ball attacks i think the game is supberb and i really enjoy it.

Agree with those who say PES6 is overrated. i rally given it a chance as much as possible but it was too arcadey for me and it was the beginning of bad pes games streak.

As much as I've liked PES6 over the last few years I have gone with PES2013. It has improved on good steps made in PES2012. The only thing stopping this game becoming the best is money.

If Konami had the millions to spend on this title as EA it would be unbeatable but I really can't see that happening. Pes2013 was released this year unfinished and it has taken several updates to get it to a point where its close to completion.

If they do not start putting some money into the game and get proper staffing levels inplace to produce PES2014 I cannot see a big leap forward from where we are at now.

Last edited:

Im not even joking I still play PES 3 PS2 now I love the AI on that game and also the textures in the stadiums ect its the best PES in my opinion I have PES 13 and FIFA 13 on ps3 decent games of course but for sheer playabilty I stick with my patched PES 3

It's hard to decide for me between PES3 and PES5.

The shooting is better on PES5 but the passing is better on 3 and the referee isn't an annoying cnut either.

Loved the editing on both as well.

The more and more I play pes 2013 the better it becomes. I am now hooked on this game. I play it hours every day. I play it like I used to play old ps2 pes. No pes has had me hooked like this since pes5 about 10 years ago almost.

I cant compare to old games fairly as we have moved on. But for me this is the best football game ever made.

Let me expand.

I think, not tested enough yet, but it seems that by editing my tactics and espeically putting my defensive line to deep it cancels out the effect of cpu always scoring or getting counter attack through ball chances.

When i play all out attack the game becomes rubbish i attack, cpu gets ball, through ball, then in at goal.

By setting my defensive line deep they stay back and cpu rarely has chance just to make through ball attakcs but has to actually make plays to get chances on goal. Makes game much better.

:YAWN: Come on.... is ridiculous to believe that PES 6 is too fast ...You should understand it once and for all! The only reason that PES 6 seem faster is because by default ,the game has aspect ratio 4:3 , AND YOU PLAY NOW THE F***ING GAME NO YOURS NEW TELEVISION WHICH ARE ASPECT RATIO 16:9! Then the game look twice fastest .... Try PC version with kitserver ,who have fix for widescreens !
I'm playing now PES 2013 ML maybe 5th season, and my team become really strong and most of the matches are on crazy fast speed by default !
Well, if you say that , the slower gameplay or speed make game .. better ,or football simulation, then SOCCER 85 is the best football game for all time !

Last edited:
for me pes5 was and still is the best. i mainly play it on the 360 so i have an xsata on the side of the box so i can update the file whenever i want. sony and the playstation 2 still get the game but the poor old xbox you have no chance and have to upgrade to the 360 then it get complicated.

pes5 all the way

Last edited:
^^looks really simialr to pes 2013 strangely.

The game looks muchj worse when i try ps2 games on my tv i dont know why they look so decent on youtube, strange? Maybe the small box screen is an illusion

if you look from some distance to your TV you'll realize it looks very clear and sharp like full hd, from a very far distance of course :D

man screw the graphics (I mean, I can't stand ps1 graphics but ps2 looks still good enough for me) I've just played pes 1 on pcsx2 emulator and the gameplay is just fucking awesome! cpu strength is very balanced and the ball physics felt so realistic to me. I'll also give pes 2 a try asap and decide which one is the best of the series. until then case closed for me! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom