(PODCAST) The Evo-Web Interviews

Really enjoyed that recent episode. @Chris Davies your intro's/Warm ups are getting a lot better, This one was highly amusing.

Even though we're now familiar with the 15 features segment of the show, It's still refreshing and really fascinating to hear everybody's take on each individual feature. The common response is "Is that really a back of the box, bullet point worthy of marketing?"

Some great discussion @janguv too.

So they are probably trying to differentiate themselves from McD with serving something of quality?!

What about other stuff:
Does the food come with toys, do they have a playground in/by the restaurant, does the whole thing resemble something out of a cartoon?

If no, that's exactely the point with the analogy: you don't have to copy McDonald's to be succesfull, just serve something different and of quality. It may not attract all the kids but it might attract people who know better.

Too elitist? :WHISTLE:

You are perfectly rigth. I completely misunderstood that (excusable since i'm not a native English speaker). Thanks for clearing that up!

No problem mate, cheers:SNACK:

@Chris Davies I absolutely love the intro music mix from PES 2 - it takes me right back to the endless hours I played that game with my mate; him always as Man United and me as Barcelona, and always playing in the Catalonia Stadium - before stadium licenses was really a thing I guess.
Heck, I even took my user name from that game: Bonano, one of many dodgy keepers at Barca in that time period.

What exactely did you do with the music?
The first part is from ML and then you mix the replay music piece into it and keep them both playing or?

Awesome job. Although I had fears as a non-native English speaker, in the podcast Chris was guest to these fellas Midknight-whatever I struggled to listen cause they were speaking fluently British, in these podcast after some pause-rewind-play, I can understand almost everything.
For future guests I would expect to listen @Emroth @Madmac79 @miguelfcp @mattmid @WhoAteMeDinner @Topaz @PRO_TOO @papinho81 @Sobakus @Chuny @Alx1234 and much more I cant remember now.
Also I would like to listen a deep interview of @incas36 ,always interesting opinion of someone who fixes the gameplay better than a company and an interview of @Sany023 , the man who solved the problem of multiple patches and the mobile encyclopedia of kitserver and other tools for pes5/6 etc.

Finally if the podcast can expand outside evoweb, I would like to listen to not-Greg from pes chronicles who plays ML in every new pes , starting always with the ML defaults and having played 15+ seasons of ML in the same save in PES2019.

PS: Of course after the Demo-hype calms down!

@Chris Davies I absolutely love the intro music mix from PES 2 - it takes me right back to the endless hours I played that game with my mate [...] What exactely did you do with the music? The first part is from ML and then you mix the replay music piece into it and keep them both playing or?
I just mixed the ML intro music (the orchestral bit) with the replay music (the club music) half-way through, cutting it so that they merge quite nicely (fading out the orchestral in the second half a little sooner than the club music).

It's my favourite PES music of all-time, it was a purely selfish reason that I used it for the intro. When I first played Winning Eleven, when I first got the PS2 chipped and played WE6 imported, that was the music I heard and it was a genuinely emotional moment (I think we can be quite blasé about that, but this is our childhood we're talking about, and such a big part of us that we still spend hours of our lives talking about it).

Awesome job. Although I had fears as a non-native English speaker, in the podcast Chris was guest to these fellas Midknight-whatever I struggled to listen cause they were speaking fluently British, in these podcast after some pause-rewind-play, I can understand almost everything.
I'm glad to hear that, I try not to mumble and/or use slang but it's easy to forget when you're speaking your native language to other native speakers!

For future guests I would expect to listen @Emroth @Madmac79 @miguelfcp @mattmid @WhoAteMeDinner @Topaz @PRO_TOO @papinho81 @Sobakus @Chuny @Alx1234 and much more I cant remember now.
Also I would like to listen a deep interview of @incas36 ,always interesting opinion of someone who fixes the gameplay better than a company and an interview of @Sany023 , the man who solved the problem of multiple patches and the mobile encyclopedia of kitserver and other tools for pes5/6 etc.
I would love to speak to all these guys, if they'd like to speak to me! Especially if they all get some hands-on time with the 2020 demo. But it's up to them, we can't forcefully crack open their minds and take a look inside. ;)

I just mixed the ML intro music (the orchestral bit) with the replay music (the club music) half-way through, cutting it so that they merge quite nicely (fading out the orchestral in the second half a little sooner than the club music).

It's my favourite PES music of all-time, it was a purely selfish reason that I used it for the intro. When I first played Winning Eleven, when I first got the PS2 chipped and played WE6 imported, that was the music I heard and it was a genuinely emotional moment (I think we can be quite blasé about that, but this is our childhood we're talking about, and such a big part of us that we still spend hours of our lives talking about it).

Thanks for the explanation, Chris, and you did a great job with mixing it. Sounds seemless:APPLAUD:

I also get emotional when hearing it, as I said, immediately thinking about good times I had with my mate in our late teens, trash talking while playing and watching the replay reel afterwards to the sound of that music and "let's watch that from a different angle." Maybe you could incorporate that line of commentary just as the music fades and the interviews about to start, or is that too far fetched?

About the orchestral ML music, did they use that for later iterations as well? Cause I don't think I ever played ML on PES 2 but I'm certain I heard that piece of music before:THINK:

Finished listening to @janguv episode. Thought it was brilliant. Just as insightful as I thought it would be coming from him. Enjoyed the dialogue you and @Chris Davies had about the PA levels and even ball physics in PES 2019 that I didn't necessarily pay attention to as much. Good to hear about the Pro Evo Network - do they have a US operations? :)

Episode Four is available now!
Starring @Matt10

I was really looking forward to speaking to Matt, who is a hero for all his FIFA sliders work and his fantastic YouTube channel. But what really sets this interview apart, is...

Matt very kindly gives his opinions of the PES 2020 demo! This is the first interview recorded post-demo release!

His first PES story is pretty fascinating too - not only was Matt in training to become a professional footballer, but his uncle played for a national side! FOR REAL!

Please give it a listen - although, and I've been holding off saying this... My mic audio quality is dreadful for the first 30-40 minutes. My wifi signal was terrible, and honestly, it is an absolute miracle that this whole interview is audible at all. It's taken days of noise removal and noise gating (which I'd never even heard of until Friday night) and... I've done the best I can with it, guys. All I can say is, it's worth putting up with it!

Enjoy, guys - and try to spread the word if you can!

EDIT: This is what I had to try and fix...

Last edited:
Time to listen while I deal with this insomnia. The PES 3 highlights remix always gives me goosebumps.

About time! :D
I've just finished listening to it. Nice one, guys.

Also liked the fact you guys took the liberty to talk about life experiences (related to football).
Sometimes knowing where someone is coming from, really helps understanding each person's point of view.

:WORSHIP::WORSHIP:Listened to 4th episode last night. Very good episode, surprised that you began straight with 2020demo and talked latter about Matt’s backstory with older pes titles.

Btw @Chris Davies thank you for the mention, you contributed a little bit more to my “Andy Warhol 15 minutes of fame”!!! :P

PS: you pronounced my nickname 1000% correct Chris. :WORSHIP:

Is it listenable, guys? Really worried you've had to turn it off after ten minutes because of the terrible quality from my end. Hoping I didn't waste the week. :(

It's the only interview I've done so far where this has happened. For the next series - if we do one, listener numbers are falling so I think interest may have waned - I'll be trying to record things through a different service. Sorry, Skype, you're rubbish (@Matt10 - we'll have to try Zoom next time)...

Also, I'd love some feedback about the new "quicker" format. All silences were "compressed" to half a second, in order to make listening a little faster. Most gaming podcasts do this but I'm worried that it may be less "comfortable" to listen to. How do you feel about it? Did you even notice?

Also liked the fact you guys took the liberty to talk about life experiences (related to football).
Sometimes knowing where someone is coming from, really helps understanding each person's point of view.
How can you not follow up on "my uncle played for the national team", seriously? And how satisfying is it to hear that a professional footballer was recommending PES to relatives because they thought it was more realistic? Amazing.

Great episode, Again loved the intro, there's something really hype about the way you introduce the episode & guest over the music in that radio DJ style "You are now listening to". I love that, Very slick and professional.

I'm glad @Matt10 brought up my beloved PES 2014 and made the comparison. Someone who played the game at windsor DM'd me on Twitter and told me it was the closest thing to '14 since & i was extremely apprehensive hearing that but i see where he was coming from.

The inertia and weight isn't as punishingly realistic as '14 but i have to make peace with the fact that it's the best compromise we're going to get, It's much more pronounced than it has been this gen.

Is it listenable, guys? Really worried you've had to turn it off after ten minutes because of the terrible quality from my end. Hoping I didn't waste the week. :(

Also, I'd love some feedback about the new "quicker" format. All silences were "compressed" to half a second, in order to make listening a little faster. Most gaming podcasts do this but I'm worried that it may be less "comfortable" to listen to. How do you feel about it? Did you even notice?
It did have issues but it really wasn't unlistenable either. Also i was listening with decent in-ear headphones so that no doubt helped.

The production is getting much better too. You've done a great job of condensing, Streamlining the interview and getting rid of dead air and keeping the conversation concise. I know what editing long sources down feels like so i totally appreciate how tedious he can be. Great editing!

How can you not follow up on "my uncle played for the national team", seriously? And how satisfying is it to hear that a professional footballer was recommending PES to relatives because they thought it was more realistic? Amazing.
I loved this part where he was talking about using the football game to train him. Reminds me of how a lot of were using Gran Turismo to learn how to drive. I played GTA IV in first person view and drove around respecting the traffic system and getting used to spacial awareness when i was learning (I still cannot drive).

Finished listening to @janguv episode. Thought it was brilliant. Just as insightful as I thought it would be coming from him. Enjoyed the dialogue you and @Chris Davies had about the PA levels and even ball physics in PES 2019 that I didn't necessarily pay attention to as much. Good to hear about the Pro Evo Network - do they have a US operations? :)
Hey mate, glad to hear you enjoyed it! Can only say I've just finished yours too, and loved it :)

PEN does have a few US guys on site, actually! If you sign up and post in the welcome/intro forum, I'm sure our Americans would be able to chat about what it's like to play fixtures with others. I think (from memory) there may be region locks for matching up in the friendly lobby with people from different regions, so that you have to have an EU version of the game. But I'm not certain, and that may vary across console. We have people who play from Europe, North America, I think in the past South America, Africa (Egypt, South Africa), and India. Possibly more diverse than that but I don't know for sure.

Obviously there's a certain amount of lag that will be introduced for people who are very far away. But it's normally manageable.

EDIT: I'll add that @B-Man nearly signed up for the leagues last year, the main thing stopping him being (iirc) the end product of PES 2019.

Right, just finished Ep.4, so since I'm hardcore I'm gonna listen to the unedited version now ;) (jokes)

I actually didn't notice quicker formatting, but I was listening on phone speaker, so maybe it's harder to hear. I noticed the sound quality in the first part, but thought it would be a wifi thing, and it's testament to the job you did with it that it was a passing thought and not something I was distracted by.

I've really enjoyed the editing jobs you've been doing so far, especially the intros and how slick it's all sounding!

Loved the latest episode, and @Matt10's enthusiasm – how PES shaped him not just as a football fan/player, but in terms of how he approaches things in general. Definitely the three most interesting words to bring to mind about what PES encapsulates for someone: Culture, Attitude, Logic

Just got round to going through the thread and saw this discussion about YouTube.

They're available on a fair few different podcasts formats now (all listed on the Anchor.fm link) and there's no video content - and if you try to leave it playing on your phone through YouTube it just shuts off when you turn your phone screen off, so I'm not sure there'd be much point!
Oh, just more exposure since YouTube is the biggest digital media outlet. I'd put it on my TV and let it play :D

That's what I do with other YouTube videos I like listening to.

I agree with Lami here. It's a good platform for listening to podcasts in that a lot of people use it that way. Also, if you're on Android, there's an easy workaround to listen to YouTube with the screen off anyway ;)

But yeah, a lot of people just whack it on a computer browser and leave it playing. Pods often just use a thumbnail image for the video side of it and nothing else.

Obviously the main idea is for us to listen to each other, so it's not really necessary. But you'd be surprised how far things travel on platforms like YouTube, so it can be a good way to expand and just find a few more interested people out there in the wild.

Loving it Chris, have to say i admire your pragmatism in setting this al up. Thumbs up to you and all the guests that where brave enough to share their thoughts so far, its been very insightful and entertaining.

Btw, the sound is okey-ish, i have to put it pretty loud sometimes to follow but its part of the charm i guess. The thing is tough, it teases me into believing that at any moment you can break into song and go "Rewritten by machine and new technology. And now I understand the problems you can see..". Which oddly enough would seem quite fitting in my brain.

nice episode with @Matt10 !
always nice to get to know the guest a tad better.
and he was a keeper as well, don't know that bit!! I felt some kind of bond all the time, dude! :LOL:

and nice words on the PES history (that talk around when you should name 3 words to describe PES)! I agree with that! so lovely said! I guess I like that part of the interview the most. brought me back to the time... had to think of me and PES back then! thanks for that! :SAL:

@Chris Davies beeing an entertaining host like before! :YES:

can't wait for further episodes... even when the demo already out being a little weird when listening to players expectations! but this is really minor!! never said it! ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom