PlayerUnknown's Battleground

bsmaff

International
11 August 2003
Hertfordshire
Exeter City
Battlegrounds is a first-person shooter game that has up to one hundred players fight in a battle royal. Players can either participate on servers playing solo, or on servers that support small teams of players working together. In either case, the last person or team left alive wins the match.

Each match starts by players parachuting onto an island from a plane without any items. Once they land, players then can search buildings and other sites to find weapons, vehicles, and other equipment, which are randomly distributed throughout the map at the start of a match. Players then proceed to either stay hidden to avoid being killed or hunt down other players while continually searching for more gear. Killed players can be looted to acquire their gear as well.

Around every five minutes, the playable "safe" area of the map begins to shrink down towards a random location, with any player caught outside the safe area taking damage over time and can eventually be killed off. This forces players into more confined areas and increases the chance of encounters with the surviving players. During the course of the match, random regions of the map are bombed, posing a threat to players that remain in that area.[3] In both cases, players are warned a few minutes before these events, giving them time to relocate to safety.

At the completion of each round, players gain in-game currency based on how long they survived, and how many other players they damaged or killed. The currency is used for purchasing cosmetic items for their character.

Picked this up yesterday due to the amount of people who seem to be playing the game online, and through many other recommendations.

Personally I was familiar with the game as played both the DayZ and Arma versions which are available as mods.

Enjoying it so far and adds something different and fun to other multiplayer games available at the moment.

The best I have managed so far is to finish 11th which isn't too bad.

This is so much better than H1Z1. Having a blast. I wish there was like a FPS version of this though.

There is 4 versions of the game:-
DayZ: Battle Royale - Original version.
Arma 3: Battle Royale
H1Z1: Battle Royale
Player Unknowns: Battlegrounds - Standalone product

Game has only been out a month and is getting massive updates all the time, the thing it needs most is FPS only servers, as I hate the 3rd person view to it.

No, been playing a couple of months.

With a good headset and team mate it is so immersive.

I think closest I've came is 4th in solo mode. For an early access game it is awesome. So much potential for full release.

I'm surprised it's been talked about so little on here. Would recommend it.

No, been playing a couple of months.

With a good headset and team mate it is so immersive.

I think closest I've came is 4th in solo mode. For an early access game it is awesome. So much potential for full release.

I'm surprised it's been talked about so little on here. Would recommend it.

The game is much better when playing as part of a team, but rarely get time to play with people due to everyone I know now has kids and restrictive game time. So mainly play the game on Solo.

I won the solo game once, and always used to finish in the top 20 before I stopped playing it for a while, then didn't get anywhere near the top 10.

It probably isn't being talked about much, due to it being a PC game. When it is released on Xbox then I suspect the game will be talked about hugely.

IMO they need to add more maps, so there is more variation, adding more guns and add-ins is great but still feel like they are adding pointless stuff when a few new maps are badly needed.
That is why this game worked better as a MOD, when it was on Arma 2 and Arma 3 it was better due to the fact you could play the mod on any of the maps available on those games. But unfortunately if you play the Arma 3 mod now it has some stupid design issues which make the experience poor, although this is probably done on purpose so people buy the standalone.

Myself, bitter rivals and Becanes play this in a squad and it's a great laugh. If you post your steam ID we can invite you next time we are on.

The new maps are on way, but the best addition so far has been adding fog to the existing map.

I've only recently got a PC again so have missed out on arma etc.

I agree, those pesky kids get in the way of our gaming time. Glad mine are grown up now

Last edited:
My steam name is really creative and is just - bsmaff

I am ok, at the game but not played it for a while now - so probably quite rusty.

How's the framerate now? And obviously FPS at high-max settings.

I heard even a 980 TI drops below 60 FPS on 1080p unless you play at low.

FOUND THIS ON ANOTHER WEBSITE - SEEMS PRETTY HONEST:-

On a standard Xbox One or Xbox One S, PUBG runs comparably to the PC version's medium graphics setting, with an overall reduction in detail, lowered draw distances, and some noticeable pop-in. The game also runs at 30 FPS, but does this with many fewer dips than I tend to get on the PC version.
There was some unreliable audio and frame dipping in the lobby, and when making the initial parachute jump down to the map, all of which is undeniably irritating. But you can really see where the focus has gone: once you're firmly on the ground, multiple person firefights hold up nicely.
It would be easy to look at what PUBG 'loses' in the move to Xbox, but the fact is that this port has made good decisions in favour of stability where it's most important.

The Xbox One X version of the game is also locked to a 30 FPS maximum, but does a better job at staying stable during the lobby and plane jump. The graphics are also noticeably improved, closer to the PC version's high settings, and the pop-in and draw distance issues are better – it's not quite matching a high-end PC's performance, but it's nearly there, and certainly performs much better than the S or regular versions.

The controller layout will take PC players a little getting used to as, let's not dance around the issue here, PUBG was clearly designed for keyboard and mouse.
Accessing and making use of your inventory is slower and more cumbersome than players may be used to, which has some real downsides: it's certainly harder to run unarmed into a building while being chased, grab a weapon, equip it and turn around to unleash the pain.
On the flipside there's a funny side to this, which is that looting and dealing with your inventory puts you at risk as a player for a longer period of time – and while this can be frustrating, everyone else is in the same boat, leading to some frantic backpack struggles mid-combat.

After playing PUBG on Xbox for a while, that's all there really is to say.
It's the PC version of the game, at a lower but slightly more reliable framerate, running on a console, lagging a little behind on updates like the new Miramar desert map.
All players are locked to a consistent max framerate and control scheme, which does help level the playing field, and if Xbox is your only option then this certainly delivers PUBG on Xbox.
But if you've got a PC that already runs the game reliably, even if not quite hitting 60 FPS and max settings, you're going to really notice the step down here.
This is not a bad port: it's a decent version of the game that fairly represents the experience and delivers battle royale on a console.

It runs absolutely terribly on my Xbox One X. Chugs all over the place.

I'm starting to really, really regret that purchase. It seems like Xbox One X support is an afterthought, where everyone whacks up the resolution without balancing anything to prevent the frame-rate tanking when you turn a camera left or right.

Fun, though.

After reading more into it, seems that the majority of people are experiencing issues with PUBG on Xbox.

Posted the above, as believed it sounded like a bit more of an honest opinion, but seems most people are having issues.

It appears the game really struggles to get above 20FPS, with many segments of the game only running at 15FPS, when in the plane at the beginning and entering houses and large buildings.
The game apparently plays worse of all apparently on the Xbox One X in 4K, when frame rates can get as low as 5FPS in built up areas on the map - The game does look a massive improvement on the XBox One X, but seems they have turned the graphics up to much.

Personally I wouldn't be too worried at the moment, the game played terribly on PC when it was first released and there was so much graphical glitching, and they have stated that the Xbox One version is an older build, so it should be playable soon.

After reading more into it, seems that the majority of people are experiencing issues with PUBG on Xbox.

Posted the above, as believed it sounded like a bit more of an honest opinion, but seems most people are having issues.
I'm absolutely amazed with Kotaku saying it "plays well" (the article you quoted) - thankfully, Digital Foundry have posted this (which hopefully means the devs will take complaints seriously).

Great game or not, early access or not, missing shots because of the framerate and shadows "popping" in when you're about 20ft away from something on a £450 console (especially with the hype Microsoft have been pushing out, with no mention of it being a "preview" title by the way) is a disgrace.

I'm absolutely amazed with Kotaku saying it "plays well" (the article you quoted) - thankfully, Digital Foundry have posted this (which hopefully means the devs will take complaints seriously).

Great game or not, early access or not, missing shots because of the framerate and shadows "popping" in when you're about 20ft away from something on a £450 console (especially with the hype Microsoft have been pushing out, with no mention of it being a "preview" title by the way) is a disgrace.

I think the problem is, it is not a 4K game.. The PC version doesn't run well, and the game itself is far from the prettiest.

I have a 4K monitor and have tried the game in 4K, and Nvidia recommends I play everything on LOW settings in 4K, I have put it on medium, but still went back to 1080P as much better framerates.

Do you get the option to play in 1080 on the Xbox One X? As it is stupid to force 4K, as my PC is more powerful than the Xbox X and I can't play PUBG in 4K.

Back
Top Bottom