Phil O'Donnell dies

foxtrot

Shoe bomber
24 December 2002
Glasgow, Scotland
Rangers FC
Motherwell captain Phil O'Donnell was taken to hospital after collapsing towards the end of his side's 5-3 victory over Dundee United.

The 35-year-old midfielder fell to the ground just as he was about to be replaced with Marc Fitzpatrick.

O'Donnell was treated for around five minutes on the field for what is thought to have been a seizure.

And the former Celtic and Sheffield Wednesday player was carried off on a stretcher to a waiting ambulance.

:(

RIP

Yeah, a total shock, remember going to Firhill for his Celtic debut where he scored 2 goals.

Fantastic engine, could run all day. Although injury hampered his career.

Thoughts are with his family at this time.

RIP Phil.

FD

Was shocked when I heard the news on the way back from the footy today

RIP

This sort of thing is happening all too often in the modern game

My thoughts go out to his wife and children

R.I.P. Phil O'Donnell

Absolutly shocked and gutted at the news of Phil O'Donnell death..:(

R.I.P Phil O'Donnell, #You'll never Walk Alone#..:(

Mad. I've never seen the guy play, I know him from playing footie games though. 35 is too young and people need to start looking at why this is happening to players, are they being pushed too hard or something?

RIP.

Sincere condolences to his family at this very difficult time.
Was a superb box to box midfielder & a real gentleman & model professional by all accounts & will always be a hero at Fir Park.

Amongst the population there are heart defects ie in some intercalated discs or improper innervation. Normally it is not evident even on examination but under intense exercise or stressful situations these can lead to life threatening situations.

Some footballers are carrying this risk without even knowing it as verification actually requires examination of the cardiac tissue which of course is not possible at present.

In this case sadly it appears he suffered a form of seizure which led to an irreversible coma. :(

God bless.

The minute that he's attempted to be substituted he collapses, how unlucky can you be. If I was that manager, bloody hell, I'd have trouble sleeping for a while. Tragic.

R.I.P.

The minute that he's attempted to be substituted he collapses, how unlucky can you be. If I was that manager, bloody hell, I'd have trouble sleeping for a while. Tragic.

R.I.P.

as a fan witnessing this live...same feelings i guess. horrible. :(

One of my favourite Celtic players when he was with us. Spent 5 years with Celtic and if it had not been for injury could have went on to be a truly outstanding player.

Sympathies to his wife, 4 kids and all his family and friends.

Hard to believe this has happened.....

RIP

Back
Top Bottom