PES2008 PS2 version is the lost game / video thread

Fantastic thread and great commitment!

What's your tactic of choice?

I used to go round my friends houses in the old days of PES 4/5 with a PS memory card in my pocket full of my custom tactics, Had so many intuitive ones based on teams abilities and without trying to exploit the engine like people do nowadays with the new games.

My favourite was a 4 2 2 1 1, Looking like an arrow with 2 wingers having a movement arrow to the inside on their stronger foot (Pires+Henrylol) what a tactic!

Last edited:
Fantastic thread and great commitment!

What's your tactic of choice?

I used to go around my friends houses in the old days of PES 4/5 with a PS memory card in my pocket full of my custom tactics, Had so many intuitive ones based on teams abilities and without trying to exploit the enging like people do nowadays with the new games.

My favourite was a 4 2 2 1 1, Looking like an arrow with 2 wingers having a movement arrow to the inside on their stronger foot (Pires+Henrylol) what a tactic!

Being honest Shez i cannot play the new games anymore. I have been patient but enough is enough. The 'stats not making a difference' has finished it for me.

Regarding tactics i was playing a boring 442 but since i bought a fantastic winger i have gone 433 with 2 CFs and the WGR on the right. It is great to see him running along that wing with no catch up bug but still have to use his skill to get passed players. The CPU doubles up sometimes with his CB coming out to help the SB.

Then i have a SM on the left, a AMF in the middle and a DMF protecting my back four.

There are so many different types of shots in this game. My striker did a toe poke volley on the stretch but it just went wide.

What i love is when you send the ball in and you can just see your striker waiting for it to drop. If he hits it right the net is broken otherwise it can fly out the stadium.

Do you still have your PS2?

PS Henry was fantastic in the old games. Cutting in from the left to curl the ball into the far corner.

@geeeeee Yup the new games have no skill what so ever, Full manual is just horrible because the AI isn't designed to detect loose balls yet due to scripting, All the you tube goals are identical!

I play PES 6 on PC right now, Easier to mod and even the ball physics can be tweaked as well.

Enjoyed giving young players the chance and the more minutes you give them the more they'll improve, And there are some players with some bravery attributes that will run themselves into the ground for u and others who are just lazy and wasteful...Even goalies have characters some of them were monsters and others just flop everything amazing programming!

The AI would chip your goalie if you bring him out, Nowadays the AI would have to go through the tedious script first with 20 backheels lol

Try using a big man up front to feed of the winger's crosses, With time the passing link between them will improve and you'll start having combinations...Check out the link level at the tactics screen R2 I think?

@geeeeee Yup the new games have no skill what so ever, Full manual is just horrible because the AI isn't designed to detect loose balls yet due to scripting, All the you tube goals are identical!

I play PES 6 on PC right now, Easier to mod and even the ball physics can be tweaked as well.

Enjoyed giving young players the chance and the more minutes you give them the more they'll improve, And there are some players with some bravery attributes that will run themselves into the ground for u and others who are just lazy and wasteful...Even goalies have characters some of them were monsters and others just flop everything amazing programming!

The AI would chip your goalie if you bring him out, Nowadays the AI would have to go through the tedious script first with 20 backheels lol

Try using a big man up front to feed of the winger's crosses, With time the passing link between them will improve and you'll start having combinations...Check out the link level at the tactics screen R2 I think?

Totally agree with what you say shez. The players do have characters and it is such a great feeling when you train a young one up, when you see his stats increase after a match.

And when you bring the GK out the AI does different things either chip, shoot round, or dummy the GK. Great stuff and I never feel cheated in this game.

Yeh I think that passing link is similar to team work. Like you said, you can check how the player will link with the other team mates. Change him from left to right and it makes a difference. So complex and yet so simple. :)

Ok, i received the ps2 and the game from amazon. But i have a big problem now, i think ps2 doesn't like hd tv that much, it's really ugly, blurry, almost unplayable. I have a composite cable right now, i read that the component cable is better and there is even an avtohdmi converter but i don't know if this is good or not. Any ps2 user here playing on hd tv ? Any advices ?

Ok, i received the ps2 and the game from amazon. But i have a big problem now, i think ps2 doesn't like hd tv that much, it's really ugly, blurry, almost unplayable. I have a composite cable right now, i read that the component cable is better and there is even an avtohdmi converter but i don't know if this is good or not. Any ps2 user here playing on hd tv ? Any advices ?

I use a HDTV but i use this lead not the HD connection. And it looks ok.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p...AUIEigC&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=grvhigUtNOxT8M:

Hopefully its not that you are so used to PC gaming. I would say that the picture is like a larger version of the PSP. Is it like the videos i have posted?

Can you upload a picture of it?

I use the same cable. Must be my hdtv then.
For sure there is a problem because the psp game looks a lot better, it shouldn't be the case. I had a ps2 a few years ago and it didn't look that bad. I will try to get a component cable and try if it is better.

I will post a picture when i play again.

i'm having fun playing Winning Eleven 2009 PS2. Liverpool vs Man U
Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Torres.

I just got PES 2008 and it's very hard to score. Midfield is murder.

Last edited:
watch youtube videos on that.

Last edited:
Just got my new controller, TS2
iiiii-photo-u1

i'm having fun playing Winning Eleven 2009 PS2. Liverpool vs Man U
Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Torres.

I just got PES 2008 and it's very hard to score. Midfield is murder.

Hi Bond!

Did you just buy it today?

What do you think?

I think its a bit fast so i global edit Top Speed, Acceleration, Dribble Speed all -15. And Short Pass Speed and Long Pass Speed -10.

Yes it is hard to score as it is stat based, and 'everything else' based :P

Could just grab a cheap crt tv from ebay for the original ps2 experience. Also, no motion blur or input lag, and less jaggies.

Last edited:
I'm using the same cable as you showed the picture. My tv is actually an hybrid pc display/hd tv from asus, can't remember the exact model so maybe it causes trouble with the ps2. I will try with a component cable (it's quite cheap) and i will tell you what it looks like.

I'm using the same cable as you showed the picture. My tv is actually an hybrid pc display/hd tv from asus, can't remember the exact model so maybe it causes trouble with the ps2. I will try with a component cable (it's quite cheap) and i will tell you what it looks like.

Really hope it works for you.

Hi Bond!

Did you just buy it today?

What do you think?

I think its a bit fast so i global edit Top Speed, Acceleration, Dribble Speed all -15. And Short Pass Speed and Long Pass Speed -10.

Yes it is hard to score as it is stat based, and 'everything else' based :P
yeah, just played 2 games, it's good stuff but i need more time on it. Old PES is better than today because it's hard and statistics work. Midfield is strong.

Good game. Love how balanced the stats are at the end. What difficulty level was this?

Yes it is well balanced. I love the way the cpu plays. When we went 2-0 up Dame' hacked my player down and got booked. It was as if he had lost his temper.

Also i mentioned earlier that i didnt think the cpu made tactical changes. Well it did in this game. The good thing is that it changed to 3-4-3 and also changed Ayoze's position from midfield to forward. Good stuff :)

I play on Regular at the moment i will move up one level if i get promoted.

Also, i play 15 min games.

PES2008 PS2
Regular
15mins

Match 4 Brighton v Canvey Eagles

Another great game in the rain. Love how the soaked pitch affected some of the play.
We lost 6-0 to this team last season but this time will we follow up our win against Newcastle with another one?

I ordered a component cable on amazon, i tried it and it seems the cable is broken :BRICK:
No luck for me, guess i should buy another one.

I checked the game on my friend's ps2 and it was far better than on my tv, he had some old tv though.

Still playing from time to time on psp. I begin to notice annoying things like the cpu trying too much to dribble, but it seems that is better when i go down in difficulty (from professional to top player)

I ordered a component cable on amazon, i tried it and it seems the cable is broken :BRICK:

I checked the game on my friend's ps2 and it was far better than on my tv, he had some old tv though.

Still playing from time to time on psp. I begin to notice annoying things like the cpu trying too much to dribble, but it seems that is better when i go down in difficulty (from professional to top player)

You should try FIFA 18. It's actually not that bad.

Its a shame it's not working. I havent noticed the dribbling but maybe its because i am on Regular. Are you finding the lower levels too easy?

You should try FIFA 18. It's actually not that bad.

Yep i am tempted but holding back for now. If it has midfield battles then that would be good.

Its a shame it's not working. I havent noticed the dribbling but maybe its because i am on Regular. Are you finding the lower levels too easy?

Yep i am tempted but holding back for now. If it has midfield battles then that would be good.

Yeah, for now, i'll continue to play on psp, i will try to find another cable in the same time.
Can't say about the lower levels, i only did a few matches on top player, seems like a good challenge too.
I'm very intrigued by Fifa 18, but i think i will only buy it when the modder will be able to mod it properly like fifa 16.

I had this for PS2 and it was great ! i can't remember much about the game now i just know it was so much better than the next gen version of the game. i done a master league and remember hamit altintop being a beast in this game.

Are you sure it's broken? I thought the same when I switched my tv but it turned out the PS2 wasn't set to output via component, only scart. Check google to find a guide.

Are you sure it's broken? I thought the same when I switched my tv but it turned out the PS2 wasn't set to output via component, only scart. Check google to find a guide.

I suppose it is broken because i tried on two different tvs and it said "no signal". I also actually tried to set the output from rgb to ypbpr in the ps2 settings but nothing changed. I will try to get another one it's pretty cheap.

Back
Top Bottom