PES 5 Beta previews

I understand your points CD. It just seems a shame nobody can compare the 2 games. I mean, i and many others have stuck with PES4 for the whole year. I think i'll get my further info from Pesfan ;)

Last edited:
Well from memory, I'd say this is far slower and less arcadey than PES4. The focus is definitely on passing compared to PES4 which allowed you to dribble massive distances - when playing a skillful opponent someone like Ronaldinho was nigh on impossible to get the ball from, for example.

P.S. love the avatar, but on Cellini - wasn't he in ISS Pro before 1999?

Re: PES 5 Beta previews (updated!)

Kenny M said:
yup, i would like to see someone score a goal. is it that hard??

Yeah, I'm stupid, I know. But please, someone, post me a link to a thread with 1000 pics. I've only seen a few and not happy yet. Gimme more!

Can someone with the game check a few things for me please?

Is Babangida at Olympiakos? I understand he's not in the Shop, so if he's not at Olympiakos he's not in the game at all.

Silvio Proto is in the Shop. Do i take it he's not in the Anderlecht squad?
Pidgeley is in the Shop. Do i take it he's not in the Chelsea squad?

Cheers :mryellow:

First 5 minutes I thought "This is slow and s**t",
2 games later I love it. Passing is superb, player movement gives plenty of options, shooting is well weighted, crossing and heading is how it should be meaning an open header usually results in a goal.
Turning is very slow but this encourages you to make a movement before the ball getsto you to create your own space which with your Henry's and the like is easy enough to do whereas the crap players should stick to the basics and as your coach will tell you "Play the way you're facing". The ball ricochets more realistically than ever before and so far I have also noticed the ball will ricochet off a defender back into you and where in the past you would either stumble and lose control you are now able to run back onto the ball and regain deserved possesion.
The fouls do seem a little bit over the top but you also have a lot more control of the player off the ball resulting in timely interceptions and swift counters as well as moving to the ball when in possession whereas Iused to get frustrated not being able to gain control of the player until it was to late to do anything.
I am going back to have a few more games now.
Can't wait to get the official version for online play to kick some international ass!

When WE9 came out me and another avid Pro Evo/WE fan switched from WE8LE to WE9. Played about 5 ML games and nearly ended up punching the c**p out of each other. The frustration was unbelievable.
Gave PES5 a go, against my better judgement, and I have to say I am hooked already.
Ref doesn't blow up as much and the CPUs defence is tight but not all 11 players!!

Very pleased. Well done Konami!!!!

Is the online feature active guys? I have my own copy and and can't play it...
Is it due to the beta version or is it due to the Konami dead servers or sth ?

Pls help

Pes5 is better than We9. Pes5 is more lively. New intro. New faces which I saw : ricardo oliviera, robinho, baptista, joe cole. I haven't already seen a stupid fakes like too slow passes and player escapes for taking a ball. Shoots are stronger in pes 5. It is a waste that Messi hasn't own face and he is too weak.

I'm glad pro evo 5 is slower and have smoother animation.
Pro Evo 4 was too fast, unrealistic and more arcadey than ever. I've only played it once in the last nine months.

i played a few master league games, and in fact it seems alot easier then WE9 master league, i need to play a few more games, but overall the game feels very different, right now Im chalkig that up to the fact that i have been playing WEmerica's patch for WE9 for a while and it is pretty nice and adds a different feel to the game...

Been playing almost all day with a mate, this game rocks, really first i was like "Hmmm i think WE9 is better..." but after 3 games, this game got me. The shoots are better, the dribling is more difficult but also more fun, the refs are much better, and i even think it has more injuries, wich i like, because one injurie in like 10 games is unreal, i think i had one injurie per game or something, i reached 3 in Barcelona vs Inter (awsome game, but very rough), i'm very satisfied with this game, what i want to know now, is how the online is.

Been playign we9 since it came out and also the pes5 beta. Both great games, but the one thing that bothers me is that goals seem to be far more random now then in previous versions.

Example 1: Im playing a counter and see that the left winger has space so pass a long cross field ball to him. He runs past a defender and sees a striker alone up front. I cross low to the striker, he collects the ball and shoots........wide.

Example 2: Im attacking and cross the ball into a crowded box, defender heads poorly, but another defender collects the ball and tries to pass it out. It comes to a midfielder of mine and he shoots and scores.

In the previous versions the first example would be rewarded with a goal and the second more likely to miss. With the 2 new versions (we9/pes5) it seems its the other way round with most of my goals being fortunate ones and the well thought out, good passing/movements ones being missed. Ive played this game since iss on the super nintende, the iss on the ps1 and all the pes versions with the last 2 we versions thrown in. Yet these games seem to be the only ones were i feel luck plays a bigger part in scoring then quality play. Or mayby im a crap finisher but all the others i completed on the highest level (unbeaten ML season on 6*) (nowedays i start on 5* as lower is to easy). Anyone else notice this?

tiktiktiktik said:
Been playign we9 since it came out and also the pes5 beta. Both great games, but the one thing that bothers me is that goals seem to be far more random now then in previous versions.

Example 1: Im playing a counter and see that the left winger has space so pass a long cross field ball to him. He runs past a defender and sees a striker alone up front. I cross low to the striker, he collects the ball and shoots........wide.

Example 2: Im attacking and cross the ball into a crowded box, defender heads poorly, but another defender collects the ball and tries to pass it out. It comes to a midfielder of mine and he shoots and scores.

In the previous versions the first example would be rewarded with a goal and the second more likely to miss. With the 2 new versions (we9/pes5) it seems its the other way round with most of my goals being fortunate ones and the well thought out, good passing/movements ones being missed. Ive played this game since iss on the super nintende, the iss on the ps1 and all the pes versions with the last 2 we versions thrown in. Yet these games seem to be the only ones were i feel luck plays a bigger part in scoring then quality play. Or mayby im a crap finisher but all the others i completed on the highest level (unbeaten ML season on 6*) (nowedays i start on 5* as lower is to easy). Anyone else notice this?

Yep I had this a lot. But I feel we need to be really composed when finishing inside the box.KNowing what sot to use when + applying the exact direction and power. I do have my fair share of misses, but it really doesn't bother me. I just throw my hand up in the air and curse just like in real life for missing sitters.

As for shout outside, overall the game has been tweaked so that more long shots go in. Clean sight of goal, most likely it would go in if well struck. This part I don't really like. I prefer that long shots conversion remaind like previous veriosn, only rarely do screamers go in or only with selected players. I've scored long shots with almost any palyer so far.
Those with 'middle shot' do perform much better, but then others arent bad either.

Cheers tik,

Yep I had this a lot. But I feel we need to be really composed when finishing inside the box.KNowing what sot to use when + applying the exact direction and power. I do have my fair share of misses, but it really doesn't bother me. I just throw my hand up in the air and curse just like in real life for missing sitters.

As for shout outside, overall the game has been tweaked so that more long shots go in. Clean sight of goal, most likely it would go in if well struck. This part I don't really like. I prefer that long shots conversion remaind like previous veriosn, only rarely do screamers go in or only with selected players. I've scored long shots with almost any palyer so far.
Those with 'middle shot' do perform much better, but then others arent bad either.

agree with this also. Just that i dont get the same satisfaction i got in previous games when scoring because of the apparent randomness. Guess ill just practice more and see if it gets any better.

im begining to think pro evolution 5 is WE8LE with a few tweaks, and not as much change as WE8LE to WE9.... WE9 plays alot different for some reason.. Im going to keep playing but PES5 seems alot easier and the physics dont seem as good as we9 and also i dont think there as many player animations in PES5 as WE9.. anyone else notice this?

If what you say is true csaunders,its a waste cos if comparing to the size of WE9 and PES5,the latter is smaller as it dosent have the "Nippon Challenge" like in WE9,so its bound to have favourable tweaks.I hope the missing crowd is fixed as its an eyesore.

J@s0n88 said:
eh, phrase, are they selling it in SG alrady? are they selling at S POwer house already? have u got PRO EVO 5?

Got it yesterday. 'Full version' for PS2 DVD.

Must have fallen off the back of a truck eh ;) . Only sneaked one game so far though as it was my wifes B'day and I promised her to keep my hands off WE/PES for a day. :D

Hello guys!
I've been playing PES5 Beta for the past week and I have to say I like it very much.
When compared to PES4 is a VASTLY improved game in terms of gameplay.
Much slower with player movement MUCH less "robotic" and passing a bit slower (more bounces off the ground etc.)
Keepers are better and the animation of the players in this version is very very good.
Same day I also got WE9 and played it for the first time. I have to say I think PES5 is slower than WE9. I know everyone says that WE9 is actually a bit slower but I can't see it. Also I noticed that PES5 plays differently in different TV sets (slower and faster). Could that actually happen???
I have been playing PES5 on 60hz only.
And one last thing I wanted to ask.
Are there different versions of WE9? Like WE9 Jap. or WE9 US and do they play differently?
Thanks in advance!

Aris Thessaloniki said:
Hello guys!
I've been playing PES5 Beta for the past week and I have to say I like it very much.
When compared to PES4 is a VASTLY improved game in terms of gameplay.
Much slower with player movement MUCH less "robotic" and passing a bit slower (more bounces off the ground etc.)
Keepers are better and the animation of the players in this version is very very good.
Same day I also got WE9 and played it for the first time. I have to say I think PES5 is slower than WE9. I know everyone says that WE9 is actually a bit slower but I can't see it. Also I noticed that PES5 plays differently in different TV sets (slower and faster). Could that actually happen???
I have been playing PES5 on 60hz only.
And one last thing I wanted to ask.
Are there different versions of WE9? Like WE9 Jap. or WE9 US and do they play differently?
Thanks in advance!

WE9 is the Jap release.
PES5 Euro release.
WE9I N.American release.
WExLE ad-hoc release (japan)

There are usually slight differences if you buy all versions. If you just buy the version allocated for your region, the diffrences and improvement will feel greater.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply jiwa!
I know about the different that are available but what I wanted to know was wether there are different WE9s at the moment.
I believe WE9 Jap. is the only one available for the PS2 right?
Thanks again!

quite simply put, pro evo 5 is the best football game available. shootin was the only thing wrong with pes4 nd its perfect in pes5. play it and love it

donnertilidie said:
quite simply put, pro evo 5 is the best football game available. shootin was the only thing wrong with pes4 nd its perfect in pes5. play it and love it

"shootin was the only thing wrong with PES4"???????????

Really? It was a freaking awesome game but it had more problems than shooting (which really wasn't bad at all). Other than it was easy to lob the keeper from just over the half-way line if you were facing the correct directionand had a forward with shooting accuracy 90 or above!

"it's perfect in pes5"???????

It must just be me and the other 50,000 people so far then who believe the shooting is too fast in PES5 compared to PES4. The fact that people like Ruud Van Nistelrooy can score screamers from 40 yards out as easily as Rooney becasue everybody can rip the ball like a thunderbolt with the powerbar only a 1/3rd of the way up doesn't bother you any? Hardly a definition of perfect! The physics (minus velocity) of the ball in shooting are near perfect but the headers and shots are definitely about 25% harder than is realistic and too many players, who in real life couldn't hit the side of a barn, can score goal after goal from way outside of the area.

It's now actually easier to score from 25 yards out than it is to bother trying to cut open the defense and it shouldn't be like that. With the new free kick bug sweet spot that has been discovered, it's going to be difficult to play online games against people who do nothing but hone scoring down to a fine art from positions where you can do little about it.

Having said that, obviously overall, it's the best soccer game out there but Konami still have some work to do before they can rest on their ass all year.

well...i have the game...and i love it...i cnt believe how much it has changed....feels like pro 3..which at the time..was as close to real football u could get..played fifa...well...for everyone who wants to enjoy pro that little bit more..play a few games of fifa jus before u switch to pro..i did..and i felt so good about playing pro evo..my fifa disc is now cracked and in the bin..(dnt worry...i had another one...but all the same...play fifa first..then pro..the satisfaction that goes thru ur body is tremendous!)

Back
Top Bottom