PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

Speaking solely as a fixed-cursor player, I completely agree. 18 is still a great game for me on fixed-cursor, I still have many really enjoyable matches that play out very well and realistically. And it has fouls and even penalties.

19 on fixed-cursor is unplayable and the AI is broken beyond belief, particularly the human team's AI - worst I've ever experienced in PES. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would score the AI 0.
Especially since it played very well after the first patch,at least that’s how I felt th n

Guys,i can t even find an opponent online to play with, either im something wrong or people just don t play this game at all..

What makes you wonder:

Let skip the obvious parts in which we punch Adam, Asim and the rest of the gang in the face.
But let's say you work at Konami/PES and, as we all know, they let you play the upcoming version every now and then.
Not very often. But every other month. You go into the PES 2020 booth. And stay there for a few hours. It's a very early version:
You play against another human. You think the little changes they done to the game are great.
A few months go by. They let you in to play a newer build. Which feels even better. More refined. Oh, look... they have even improved the graphics!. Love the little details! You play 5 games against your work partner. You come out of the booth feeling like "OK this is it!". Last time you played you enjoyed it but after a couple of days you were thinking to yourself "perhaps I overreacted a little. I don't know if the changes were really that big and that good. I might have been too excited". But now, it's so obvious! You have no doubt about it. The game is great!

When you talked to other co-workers who have also played against each other, they all agree. "We have a great football game this year". Dribbling? It's there. Fouls? They're there (Hey, you got two red cards in one game and I scored a great free-kick against you, remember?". Player individuality? Yup. Graphics? Awesome. So when you're asked to fill a form with feedback, you really find it hard to tell them anything bad about the next game.

But then what happens? Demo hits. People have the chance to play for hours and days. Non-stop.
But this time, it's not against another human. It's against the AI. Which they barely tested at the office. It's so evident. As evident as it is that they barely tested the game at the office against the AI because they do not care how the AI plays. Because they want you to play ONLINE. And when you play ONLINE, and the lag doesn't get in the way, you do feel it's a great game. Because another human WILL tackle you and foul you. Hell, they'll even commit penalties! And you WILL be able to wrong-foot the, and dribble past them. So the game does feel very good. So Konami wasn't lying.

They are just partially lying.

They are not dumb. EA are not dumb either.

How long did it take people here at EVO-WEB to start noticing the first glaring issues and annoyances when the Demo came out?. 24 hours? 48? Shit, I'll give you a week!
What were we saying back then? Slower pace, I like it!. Some new animations are great! Turfs are great!.
But... most of us were already talking about repetitive AI behaviour (low crosses), catch-up bug, laser-guided passes, no first touch errors, no poor controls, the AI never making a "human" mistake.

So, who's going to convince me that over at Konami (or EA for that matter) they don't know every single thing that happen and will happen with their next game beforehand? It took us less than a week. And they have the game right there to test it every day and pass it on. If they wanted to release a better game for offline players, they could do it. I'm sure of it. They just don't want to.
Yeah. All the effort is put towards the money maker. Business 101.

We won't ever have a proper offline game again until microtransactions are banned everywhere. Or they give us sliders and let us deal with it ourselves. I don't care. Better than we keep complaining.

Yeah. All the effort is put towards the money maker. Business 101.

We won't ever have a proper offline game again until microtransactions are banned everywhere. Or they give us sliders and let us deal with it ourselves. I don't care. Better than we keep complaining.

There's a third idea which involves a third competitor.
That would mean that if a new company wanted to get in the virtual football business, they would have to come up with something strong in order to make a new for themselves. Otherwise they would be absorbed in a heartbeat.

There's a third idea which involves a third competitor.
That would mean that if a new company wanted to get in the virtual football business, they would have to come up with something strong in order to make a new for themselves. Otherwise they would be absorbed in a heartbeat.
Imo, if a 3rd one were to come in, they're better off going the opposite route by appealing to the niche crowd and concentrating fully on single player, realistic football. They'll always have that loyal crowd backing them. We don't need more arcade nonsense.

Imo, if a 3rd one were to come in, they're better off going the opposite route by appealing to the niche crowd and concentrating fully on single player, realistic football. They'll always have that loyal crowd backing them. We don't need more arcade nonsense.

That's what I'm saying mate!

If a 3rd company were to get involved: They would probably have 0 licenses to count with.
So their approach would have to be focused solely on gameplay. A realistic football experience. Offline.
And also giving the players full modding capabilities and tools to fill-in the blanks.

That's what I'm saying mate!

If a 3rd company were to get involved: They would probably have 0 licenses to count with.
So their approach would have to be focused solely on gameplay. A realistic football experience. Offline.
And also giving the players full modding capabilities and tools to fill-in the blanks.

Just like RFactor. It would be great.

wasnt there a 3rd party working on a game, was a while ago but he stopped cos of lack of funds, does anyone one know if he will continue on cos his beta looked promising

wasnt there a 3rd party working on a game, was a while ago but he stopped cos of lack of funds, does anyone one know if he will continue on cos his beta looked promising

Are you talking about this one here https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/gameplay-football-a-new-promising-independent-game.67592/page-8 ?

I think that the developers of the betting simulator Rush Football should seriously consider hooking up with some gaming development company and work together. They would completely blow it out of the water.

What camera do you play on fixed cursor?? Thats a main reason i could never play BAL or fixed cursor. Player camera is shit. On normal camera you have two options
- either it follows the player and you cant see where the ball is
- or it follows the ball and you cant see your player.

Its absolutely ridiculous that after so many years they didnt introduced some dynamic camera, that would zoom out when ball is far away, to allow you to watch both ball and your player. And it would zoom in gradually as the ball was getting closer to you.
Again - so fucking simple..

I play using blimp camera - I find it quite acceptable. I also found I very quickly got used to clicking the button to switch whenever I need to between following the ball and following your player.

Especially since it played very well after the first patch,at least that’s how I felt th n

I think you're right about the patching being critical. I barely played 18 for the first few months - thought it was a load of crap and quickly gave up on it. Your AI team-mates on fixed cursor were about as bad as they now are in 19.

But I tried it again in the spring last year - I think the final patch had just been released (and maybe included notes about fixed-cursor mode being improved?) - and thought it good enough to invest a little time in. I got to really like and now rate it as my favourite football game ever (despite it's obvious flaws).

It's that improvement through patching in 18 that gives me hope that they might patch some life into 19.

I think you're right about the patching being critical. I barely played 18 for the first few months - thought it was a load of crap and quickly gave up on it. Your AI team-mates on fixed cursor were about as bad as they now are in 19.

But I tried it again in the spring last year - I think the final patch had just been released (and maybe included notes about fixed-cursor mode being improved?) - and thought it good enough to invest a little time in. I got to really like and now rate it as my favourite football game ever (despite it's obvious flaws).

It's that improvement through patching in 18 that gives me hope that they might patch some life into 19.
Yeah same here mate,I hated Pes 18,had half a seaon on it,never DL Pes 19 demo,and decided to try out Pes 18 just before 19 came out and just after, since 19 was shite on release.
I was really impressed on how much improvement it had gone through.
Played almost a season and a half on it before the first Pes 19 patch came out and made that game very good.

Unfortunately latest patch has ruined it again (for me) and I'm back playing more Pes 18 again.
It's a tough move between Pes 18 and my FIFA playing though.
No problems going from Pes to FIFA,but the other way around is difficult,so I'm mainly playing NHL at the moment,but hope they sort 19 out like they did 18

If I'm not mistaken, I remember right before or right after PES 2019 was released we found a publication in Konami's site set to hire new staff to work on PES, with a different skillset in mind?. Designers, 3D, etc. Am I right? Does anybody else remember this?.

Don’t know what Problem with headers you have. Sure I know, but I don’t see it the same.
TTB is probably playing with a mod. But me, on PS4, playing fm, can’t moan about header. Did not had a diving one like in 2018, but I scored from corner and or high crosses.
Sometimes I get that being stuck animation too, where my player won’t jump with the opponent next to him. Sure needs working but it’s not that bad, imo.
If you ever played for real you know there are occasions where you “can’t” jump. Be it momentum, opponent holding you down or bad timing...
That said, for me headers are not broken. Just need polish.
Only thing really broken to me is TS in ML. Or the TS stuff as a whole.
Don’t won’t to step on someone’s foot here. :)

Im with you on that @PRO_TOO .
After 18 with headers being so OP, 19 is a nice change. There is a lot of things wrong with 19 but headers are not one of them IMO.
Im scoring corners and normal headers from time to time.
And I did had a diving header goal. Just to remind im on manual passing and advanced shooting.
The other game has problem with headers, they have way too much power in there.

Personally, after last patch im more annoyed that they seemed to nerf long shots. They were nicely ballanced and now I have scored only one or two long distance goals in total since last patch. Now its either a miss or SpiderKeeper.

Personally, after last patch im more annoyed that they seemed to nerf long shots. They were nicely ballanced and now I have scored only one or two long distance goals in total since last patch. Now its either a miss or SpiderKeeper.

Plus one. These was before patch on Superstar:

God damn, it's like he is playing an entirely different game... A header from every corner, two headed goals in one match. If I wouldn't have seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it.

Isn't he playing on the PC with a gameplay patch? Sorry didn't watch this video, but previous ones were using a gameplay patch.

We never said you didnt. We said we didnt.

I know what you said. Though you seldomly achieve something by telling someone that you do not have their problem. If you told me you suffer from a cold (and you are probably looking for solidarity or pity) it doesn‘t help you the least when I tell you: I don’t know what problem you have, I am totally fine.

So let‘s bury the header discussion, it‘s all good.

I know what you said. Though you seldomly achieve something by telling someone that you do not have their problem. If you told me you suffer from a cold (and you are probably looking for solidarity or pity) it doesn‘t help you the least when I tell you: I don’t know what problem you have, I am totally fine.

So let‘s bury the header discussion, it‘s all good.
Thats a bit weird approach.
There are issues that we all agree on. There are also more grey areas, where sometimes you can discuss, get tips, analyse your way of doing things and possibly improve upon.
You said yourself that you play same version with same patches/mods as ya man. He scores, you dont. We score, you dont.
Are we trying to insult you, or force you into believing into something? No.
So you can either try to get to the bottom of it, in terms why do you have issues with headers, or you can throw your toys out of the pram. Either way it wont really affect me.
Now we can drop it.

Edit: dont get me wrong. Im not looking for an argument. But you never asked for any advice or tips. You just stayed that you have problem. We stated we dont.
There was no need for the follow up.

Headers
First two goals are basic headers from online opponents but the rest are my manuals from exhibition(superstar) and online friendly.

I'm not a fan of corner/freekick headers. I'm scoring a decent amount on these kicks but I feel like it's all about luck.
I don't even use strategies on corners. I just instinctively place it in the middle and use diagonal up curve. I don't use super-cancel to position my players. I just use super-cancel if I have to re-aim my shots.
I don't enjoy scoring them as I don't think there's skills involved. Most of the time that I've scored, (for some reason)my player in the middle will just be unmarked for an open header) but's it's part of the game so I just take it for what it is.

What I enjoy though, are open play headers. Yes, luck has a huge impact too but at least it takes a little more skills(cross and shot aiming) to do it successfully. I appreciate the cross more than the actual shot.
I'm on PA0 but I use L2(manual modifier) on all my crosses. I know there's still assistance built into it but it just feels more satisfying to me because the crosses go closer to where I intended it to be.
I feel like I'll score more with a regular PA0(non-L2) crosses but it's not as satisfying.

I guess we have different ways of enjoying game. My enjoyment is simple. I enjoy the game when I'm able to successfully execute a particular team play that I want my team do in a particular situation. Of course, it doesn't happen most of the time because there's not much freedom in this game(in terms of what you can do on the pitch) or it's just difficult to do, but it's the best game available for me to achieve that.

I don´t see any assistance in crossing direction-wise (full manual controls), even without using L2. I can even point them into my own half, if i want to.

The only thing is the change of ball curve as soon as you reach a certain range to the box. Without L2, every cross is driven one and lob passes for example are not possible anymore.

I still don´t feel to be perfectly in control when executing headers with the shoot button. If i use the passing button instead, you always get a feedback from the player trying to head to the ball. Using the shoot button, it is like a 50% chance to see an effort.

Maybe i am doing something wrong? How do you execute headers? Are you just tapping the button or does the power bar load influence the performance?

Last edited:
Headers
First two goals are basic headers from online opponents but the rest are my manuals from exhibition(superstar) and online friendly.

I'm not a fan of corner/freekick headers. I'm scoring a decent amount on these kicks but I feel like it's all about luck.
I don't even use strategies on corners. I just instinctively place it in the middle and use diagonal up curve. I don't use super-cancel to position my players. I just use super-cancel if I have to re-aim my shots.
I don't enjoy scoring them as I don't think there's skills involved. Most of the time that I've scored, (for some reason)my player in the middle will just be unmarked for an open header) but's it's part of the game so I just take it for what it is.

What I enjoy though, are open play headers. Yes, luck has a huge impact too but at least it takes a little more skills(cross and shot aiming) to do it successfully. I appreciate the cross more than the actual shot.
I'm on PA0 but I use L2(manual modifier) on all my crosses. I know there's still assistance built into it but it just feels more satisfying to me because the crosses go closer to where I intended it to be.
I feel like I'll score more with a regular PA0(non-L2) crosses but it's not as satisfying.

I guess we have different ways of enjoying game. My enjoyment is simple. I enjoy the game when I'm able to successfully execute a particular team play that I want my team do in a particular situation. Of course, it doesn't happen most of the time because there's not much freedom in this game(in terms of what you can do on the pitch) or it's just difficult to do, but it's the best game available for me to achieve that.
what a lovely video!!!
see the pace of the crosses and the speed of the ball leaving the head after contact!? :D
this is what drives me nuts in the other game.
and how natural and real the player moves to the ball, the animation starts, he nods the head, legs and arms swinging so real, he heads it towads goal (down to ground, looping over keeper, soft next to the goal post, and so on...!!), its just a joy to watch, imo! and then i sink into my armchair and watch those scenes countless times in super slo motion in the replay mode! :D
sure this game has some construction sites, i dont forget that!

when i create one of these situations on full manual, its such a rewarding feeling! and its that rewarding to me because it does not happen all the time (like irl)! i do fail a lot, but i keep it up (like irl)!
and this is just the header part!
first there is the cross- or pass-part. where you do the first 50% of that attack move. cross it low, how, mid high, hard low, looping high, and so on....
then use the LS to add some more detail to it (mix all/some controll options available!) like, aim for short goal post, far away penalty area, outside the pen area, and so on....
you can also add some curl, away from goal or towards goal...
endless possibilities. it offers so much and can shine so bright! :D

guess i am repeating myself here! maybe its down to how much i like those parts of the game and/or i want others to expirience it themselves! dont get mad at me! ;)

Last edited:
I don´t see any assistance in crossing direction-wise, even without using L2. I can even point them into my own half, if i want to.

The only thing is the change of ball curve as soon as you reach a certain range to the box. Without L2, every cross is driven one and lob passes for example are not possible anymore.
Yes, this is the exact reason I use L2 on crosses and lob. On lob passes, it's too long without L2. On crosses on penalty box, I can't do short cross when my passer is near the 6 yard box. On the flanks, I feel like I have no control on the length. Direction wise, I agree with you.

I still don´t feel to be perfectly in control when executing headers with the shoot button. If i use the passing button instead, you always get a feedback from the player trying to head to the ball. Using the shoot button, it is like a 50% chance to see an effort.

Maybe i am doing something wrong? How do you execute headers? Are you just tapping the button or does the power bar load influence the performance?
I just tap it. It's mostly around 25-35% power but I really don't think about the power when I head, I just think of tapping it.

I'm like the same but I feel it's more than 70% chance they'll make an effort to head(Maybe it's lower, not sure) .
I always try to target my cross/pass in front(towards the goal) of the player I wanted to head.
I still feel I'm not 100% in control on open play headers, I feel I still need some luck.
It feels better when I score volleys instead of headers. It feels more like I did it than the game helping me score if I volley.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom