PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

I really think it could be funny to investigate people’s minds in here.

Opinions are different, and that is how it should be, but really... I am really surprised how people suddenly out of nowhere from this patch are feeling a different game.

I agree after the last patch (not the newest one) it was playing better. Not a lot - but there were some problems that were removed.

Overall though... The game is just boring if you ask me. Not a lot of difference between players and a way to simple setup in my opinion.

Everything is based on normal settings and in Master League. And I don't give much about ''PLAY LEAGUE MODE - OH EXHIBITION IS INCREDIBLE''. For me, No Master League = No game.

I can't accept or give credit to a game that’s good only in two ''modes''.

At the end of the day, this year is again a bad football year. The single-player mode is nonexistent in both titles in terms of longevity. It can be an online title, but I a realizing that it will be a plug-and-play experience for me. It’s sad... But I can see that that type of football gaming is on the end. I am finding my offline/single player experience in games as RDR2 or maybe in Football Manager. It’s not in PES and FIFA anymore.

I love this forum, but the other day I just realized that the closest I have been to a really, really, really good experience with these titles, has been the first month with FIFA this year and sometimes a little with friends. The rest of the time these titles are bringing so much frustration. So many considerations... In particular in forums like these where we all are hoping and in few moments are ‘’feeling’’ the game. For me personally, it’s obvious that sometimes the game is bringing back a feeling that just are from the past when I was younger. In small moments the new PES can that. But it is only in small situations.

Sorry for this brutally honest and negative view on things.

Personally I can't see much difference with this patch. Online Divisions have been great since day one.

After playing quite a few more hours of the new patch/dlc, here are a few things I can definitely say have improved since the last patch:

+ Headers on full manual have further improved, im getting heaps of variations and heap of power depending on the cross and timing.

+ Many more situations (usually due to bad pass or poor team stats) of heavy first touches, from cpu attacking ai, and from my attacking players. Leads to many more dispossessions which is great.

+ More errors from cpu attacking ai. Still could be increased, but its getting better.. better than previous patch.

+ Keepers definitely improved, both cpu defence ai, and also my own keeper when I use triangle to force him out. More responsive,, great saves ive seen. One or two errors, but good to see as they are quite rare.

+Fouls are same for me.. ie. good amount of aggression, didn't need a change. I did get my first ever penalty at the end of a great passing move, which was so damn satisfying. And I converted.. didn't get a PK before this patch, but the foul count was quite good after the last patch.

+I know the atmosphere in the stadiums aint great (needs to be improved big time next version), but the stadiums, the news ones included, and in particular the turf and lighting in all the different weather/light conditions (the stuff you actually see when paying) is just amazing. The De kuip and the Palestra Italia look amazing in game.. as does the new yellow merlin... great additions.

+Overall variations, shots, passing everything.. as subtle as it is, this new patch does improve the game enough to feel it, and enjoy it more. Honestly, ive always liked pes2019, particularly after the dlc2.0 patch etc.. but now with this dlc3.0 and slight tweaks, im stuggling to put the game down. Just played 4 hours straight with various EPL exhibitions 20mins full manual on superstar. For me, each game feels quite different.

things that haven't changed (that need improvement):
- r2 on full manual is still broken. I was in training with Messi, aiming finesse shots to top right hand corner (goalies right hand), and struggle to get on target as ball still often goes wider than the aiming arrow.
-AI goals are still never placed low.. ie. the soft finesse shots. Usually hit in top corner.
-Still haven't seen great dribblers taking me on... go toward goal if free on goal. No taking on players. Anyone seen any situations yet???
- Free kicks still overpowered, ie. haven't been toned down. Feels great scoring them, but I reckon the simple solution is make it quite easy for the top 10 FK takers in real life, and for the rest, increase the sensitivity of the power bar so its actually harder to perform.

BTW, anyone know how to do the phone booth celebration at that new Estadio Palestra Italia stadium?? seems the booth is at both ends, behind the goal.. I run for it, but I just do the 'around the goal celebration' or the 'screaming at camera celebration'
You can t say there is variation in the shooting when ur playing on manual, coz this already should have enough variation, so it is a no, shots on basic shooting are still the same

Just to clarify - my personal "joy" from playing Pes19 is purely on the pitch.
Outside the pitch is shambles and a joke to have a game like this in 2018.
Im using Master League purely to have some structure, player development/aging and transfers. Thats all.
I made my peace with the fact that there is nothing going for Pes outside of the pitch.
And from day one I was saying, that its a great game (on the pitch) when you have the ball. AI was broken and needed a lot of work.
Also, after big patch I was saying that Pes (on the pitch) now just needs few minor tweaks to have great gameplay.
Big portion of those minor adjustments came with last patch and now (on the pitch) its a very solid game.
So its not out of nowhere.
Yes, there should be more dribblibg from AI and more low shots, but apart of that Im
I can t see where do you find a very solid game when on basic shooting it has no variations, it feels so automated as i said, where do you find the solid please tell me

I can t see where do you find a very solid game when on basic shooting it has no variations, it feels so automated as i said, where do you find the solid please tell me
Im on Advanced Shooting, PA0. Took me a while to get used to but i wouldnt switch back at this stage. And im happy enough with shot variation.
We have to agree that no football game ever came close to perfection. Different things tickle different people. I like my football games to be realistic. And Pes19 ticks the boxes, when it comes to
- player animations/movements
- ball physics
- fouls
- injuries
- stamina
- physicality and player clashes
- realistic scores
- game speed (even tho i play on -1)
- player response (yes, i know its unresponsive for some, but it makes it realistic this way)
- first touch error
- AI missed shots/missplaced passes
- ball randomness and rebounds

There is room for improvements in
- player ID
- more shots from outside the box
- more AI shot variation (lack of low shots)

But if you look at all the points above then you'll see why the other game is not appealing for me this year and why Pes is much closer to proper football experience (obviously excluding atmosphere and commentary, as its dreadful in Pes)

Have not being playing Pes that much recently. It just can't keep me interested and as a 100 % ML player its way too basic and broken to keep me playing and I've managed to play the last few but cant do it any more. Tried the new update by starting a new ML but after a couple of game realized why I stopped playing it a few weeks back. I don't hate the game, gameplay or anything, it's ok. I just, I don't know, it feels done, old, boring. I'm delighted to see alot of the users in here enjoying the game and hope that in 2020 the ML gets some love. It and the presentation of the game needs to be made modern. I remember when they changed the ML to football life and I think that's what they need to do. Forget about the ML and change it into something new. Way better systems for scouts, training, transfers and managing the players. Not just picking the team and tactics but managing the squad on and off the field. Dealing with players, staff, boardroom and press in a not just technical (Proper game mechanics) but also meaningful way. Also the presentation is dire and the commentary brutal. They also need to stop relying on scripting for ml. Its not clever, its boring, lazy and not needed. If I wanted to be beaten by a lower team I should just be able to increase the difficulty. Big teams have off days so I understand why they think they need a script to allow small teams to beat me now and again. But guess what I have off days too and if the game difficulty I choose allows me to beat the lower team most time unless I myself am having an off day then I think that's good game design because they don't need a script to do it some days I just play crap. Anyways done for now, probably be back when news of 2020 starts and fingers crossed we get a decent ML next year with at least some of what I hope. Fix the f n transfers and regens and a personal secretary again, maybe even some romance. Yep full Jrpg ML. Matty out
It’s where I am with PES 2019. It’s a game still stuck in the past.

I can play two or three matches and enjoy them, but it’s enough for me. I can’t play it for long spells anymore, it’s too boring and dull.

It’s where I am with PES 2019. It’s a game still stuck in the past.
Agreed. But the issue is not Pes19.
Its Pes14,15,16,17,18,19.
Year after year instead of add things they were taking things out.
I hope that now, since they have decent gameplay on the pitch, they will just do few tweaks and put major focus on everything else.
But its hoping against hope. It seems that every time they are adding something good, two other good things are taken away.
I wouldnt be surprised if Pes20 got some PIMP my MasterLeague treatment, but gameplay on the pitch went 3 steps back (like back to zero fouls, injuries and no stamina impact)
So its a choice between find your middle ground and a version that pisses you off the least, or retire from football games.
Shame, but thats the world we live in.

I wouldnt be surprised if Pes20 got some PIMP my MasterLeague treatment
I would be *incredibly* surprised.

My reviews of PES 2017 and 2018 ended on the note of "great gameplay, please work on depth in the game modes now".

Are we agreed this is the best gameplay ever? I don't think so - and this is the first year for a long time that guys like Eurogamer (who confess to being PES fanboys) actually went on record to say "this is so bad off the pitch, and has been for so long now, that the gameplay no longer makes up for it".

Yet every year, the PR is all about how much better gameplay is (it never is, in my experience) and nothing else ever changes. Except licenses (because who needs the Champions League when you've got the Thai national team).

Others might think it's the best gameplay ever and that's great, but you can't tell me that there's an iota of player individuality, in the user players or the AI players. Particularly not in the ML. But we line up to say "well no wonder, you're playing the ML, there's your problem" - and before you know it, PES 2020 is exactly the same.

On top of all this, and probably most importantly, is the fact that myClub continues to make as much money as sales of the game alone. In all football games, single player is dead and we'll be told we should be thankful for any old shit they feed us old-school plebs... ("Six fixes and more news-feed stories? You spoil us!")

:LOL:
It wasnt supposed to sound this way. Second part of the sentence HAS to go side by side with the first...
I wouldnt be surprised IF Pes20 got some PIMP my MasterLeague treatment, but gameplay on the pitch went 3 steps back
:LOL:

I get all your points and agree with them.
We all just speak for ourselves and for me, maybe its not the best gameplay ever, but its the best gameplay since at least Pes13, which is pretty long time.
Every recent Pes had some dealbreakers, which after a while forced me to put the game away (18 for instance had no fouls or injuries)
19 has faults, Im not saying it doesnt. But at its current stage none of them are gamebreaking for me.
But, like I said, its all comes down to individual experience and something that is acceptable issue for me, might be gamebreaking for someone else.

The game is at an ok place right now. The game play just feels a bit sterile/mechanical for me as a single player. I do not get the urge to play it for long periods at a time, as I feel that I have seen everything pes has to offer very quickly.

My reviews of PES 2017 and 2018 ended on the note of "great gameplay, please work on depth in the game modes now".

Are we agreed this is the best gameplay ever? I don't think so - and this is the first year for a long time that guys like Eurogamer (who confess to being PES fanboys) actually went on record to say "this is so bad off the pitch, and has been for so long now, that the gameplay no longer makes up for it".

Yet every year, the PR is all about how much better gameplay is (it never is, in my experience) and nothing else ever changes. Except licenses (because who needs the Champions League when you've got the Thai national team).

Others might think it's the best gameplay ever and that's great, but you can't tell me that there's an iota of player individuality, in the user players or the AI players. Particularly not in the ML. But we line up to say "well no wonder, you're playing the ML, there's your problem" - and before you know it, PES 2020 is exactly the same.

On top of all this, and probably most importantly, is the fact that myClub continues to make as much money as sales of the game alone. In all football games, single player is dead and we'll be told we should be thankful for any old shit they feed us old-school plebs... ("Six fixes and more news-feed stories? You spoil us!")
Chris, I agree with many of your points but the player individuality to me is instantly noticeable. To me that is something that truly is "back", at least in some measure. I usually knkw who I'm controlling just by looking at the player on the field, not going off commentary or the nameplate.

There are LOTS of other issues though.

Agreed. But the issue is not Pes19.
Its Pes14,15,16,17,18,19.
Year after year instead of add things they were taking things out.
I hope that now, since they have decent gameplay on the pitch, they will just do few tweaks and put major focus on everything else.
But its hoping against hope. It seems that every time they are adding something good, two other good things are taken away.
I wouldnt be surprised if Pes20 got some PIMP my MasterLeague treatment, but gameplay on the pitch went 3 steps back (like back to zero fouls, injuries and no stamina impact)
So its a choice between find your middle ground and a version that pisses you off the least, or retire from football games.
Shame, but thats the world we live in.
I was thinking before today in the afternoon how many details were in and out to ML during the series.The total goal/assist/rating ranking in 4/5/6 era.The player reputation/popularity in the tragic 2008 and mediocre 2009/2010 era.The peak of club management in 2011-2013 era with cost/invest allocation,interaction with players (2012),opponent match play analysis with pointing of the “enemy” key player.And in all of these version we had a decent team history,you could review past seasons records,s check your trophies,player records.
In 2014 we had the extra burgain-sale ML which was stripped from anything before.
Returning to today (2019) and watching the treatment the mode had from the jump 2018->2019 I cannot be optimistic about 2020 having better content off the pitch,when this year it was regressed again.No records goal/assists for your “favorite” player,no international caps number,a dull team history page,I doubt that in your 5th season you can check a cup you won in your first season,a naked mission page with blatant orders from the club boss.Last year’s team page with bosses trust had 4xtimes the content it has now.
So despite the gameplay,they have a routine about the content to be more simplistic even if they add the most cool details for a carrier mode.

Chris, I agree with many of your points but the player individuality to me is instantly noticeable. To me that is something that truly is "back", at least in some measure. I usually knkw who I'm controlling just by looking at the player on the field, not going off commentary or the nameplate
I have to agree with Chris, although I see where you're coming from.
These days we have players who look like in real life, run like in real life, kick like in real life. Problem is - they dont behave like in real life.
Everything is fine when you are the one controlling star players.
Unfortunately AI doesnt utilise star players the way they should be.
Back in the day we had player who barely looked like Zidane. But he was behaving like Zidane. He had fantastic passes that he was using frequently, and if you left him few yards of space he would punish you with deadly shot.
Now we have the likes of Neymar or Messi, who dont dribble or dont have any rocket shots from outside the box. Yes, they are better, faster and more deadly around the penalty box, but there is no visible difference between their playstyle and any other player on the pitch. They lack their individual magic.
Which is strange, because they have all those player skills and traits. They should be using them more.

So this is my take with GK during one on one after normal play and intentionaally giving the cpu ai one on one situation.

Sometimes he chases to the near the opponent sometimes he go out and stops in the middle to reduce shooting spaces, and i like it because it force me to think whether i need to use :triangle: or not and how far, or even manually control GK closer to opponent or put some distance. User input is still needed, that's why the GK control buttons exist. Semi-automatic GK Rush :BEER: . Oh and i love de gea :APPLAUD:

I bought 2019 but still haven't had the chance to load it up - and won't now probably til new at the earliest.

There seems to be differing opinions on whether the patch has improved things or not. SOme say the game is perfect, others not.

I think you guys need to agree on a few basics and then to bring your opinions for there to be better understanding of what is going on.

E.g. you could make sure your signature carries info on your pass assist setting and platform
you could agree that comments will be based on Master League
judging by past PES' I think you'd need at least a TS of 80 to eliminate/minimise any negative script the game so perhaps only comment once you reach this

just some thoughts. my circumstances are such that i'll be playing a bit of 15, 16, and 17 offline for the next few weeks on XB.

I was shy to ask, but i cannot resist anymore. What is the style to hit proper freekicks. Reading that freekicks are OP this year all the time and i only hit the wall until now.Is th right way the one i saw in youtube with power bar around 60%+ , where it starts to become yellow?
I surely do something wrong as i keep hitting freekicks with the old school pes5/6 method, half power-bar and a little bit as second input, but it is pretty obvious, the system is much different now.
Also i would like to ask, is the engine like the pes 5/6, where the power gauge input was contextual with the freekick style, for example a free kick with T. Henry style and 50% gauge near the penalty area used to go in a different height then a freekick in the same spot and power but with Roberto Carlos style, or it is the same for everybody and the freekick visual is just an animation?

Hey guys, just got demoralized on an Exhibition match: LEGEND, Full manual, 20 mins, but the cool thing is, it shows a good glimpse of what this new patch offers, ie. AI variation, Errors with their passing, first touch, and shots. Fouls galore, keeper's response good and bad at times. Jeez they press you hard on LEGEND..but I love it. Unfortunately when I go down a few goals, I go for broke and concede quite a bit on the counter. Either way I think its a good representation of the new patch:
setup:
first half:
second half:

I went down to SUPERSTAR with a couple of EPL teams, all other settings the same, and this again shows what a great game can be had:
setup:
first half:
second half:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfMvvre0KiE&feature=youtu.be

Yep didn't play great in those clips above.. yesterday, I did score a couple of fantastic fullmanual goals in the same game... the 85th minute goal got my fists-a-pumpin:

I forgot to mention about ML, that due to Top Player difficulty the game has an unrealistic-blatant come back logic. In every game i concede an average of 2 goals. As the season passes and i improve myself and the team , i start taking win-results, but i end up winning most teams 3-2, 4-2, resulting me being second in the League with the best Attack and the worst Defence or the second worst defence.
I saw in reddit a similar case so i am not alone. For real this come back scripted logic can be game-breaking after 1-2 seasons , cause it seams the most goal are undefendable. In a 38 games season i achieved only 2 0-0 draws and in the derby matches against Bayern and Schalke i won 4-3 and 6-4!It was a brainless goal-fest. :(

I was shy to ask, but i cannot resist anymore. What is the style to hit proper freekicks. Reading that freekicks are OP this year all the time and i only hit the wall until now.Is th right way the one i saw in youtube with power bar around 60%+ , where it starts to become yellow?
I surely do something wrong as i keep hitting freekicks with the old school pes5/6 method, half power-bar and a little bit as second input, but it is pretty obvious, the system is much different now.
Also i would like to ask, is the engine like the pes 5/6, where the power gauge input was contextual with the freekick style, for example a free kick with T. Henry style and 50% gauge near the penalty area used to go in a different height then a freekick in the same spot and power but with Roberto Carlos style, or it is the same for everybody and the freekick visual is just an animation?
Im not an expert by any means but Im scoring freekicks from time to time (scored 3 in last 6 games). And most of my misses are overhits, I rarely hit the wall.
Power depends on distance. Sometimes i dont even have half bar of power, when im close to penalty box. Not sure why you keep hitting the wall.
I always apply spin (➡️/⬅️). Always.
And depending on the power that i load, if I see that I put too much or too little, im trying to adjust it with left stick.
In example - if I see that i loaded too much power, I try to apply spin and push left stick a bit to the back (↙️/↘️), as they will go for softer (weaker) kick, giving me a chance not to overhit it. Same goes the other way.
When im further away i always put more than half a bar of power.
And id recommend to use player that has at least around 80 free kick stats (my both free kick takers have exactly 80)
I dont agree that free kicks need to be nerfed. They are fun. And because they are relatively easy to score, they add the element of excitement to the match. Like in real life, when you are watching a game and a team gets a free kick around the penalty box and you are sitting on the edge of your seat, coz it may change things around.

I forgot to mention about ML, that due to Top Player difficulty the game has an unrealistic-blatant come back logic.
Is it still the case after patch?
I was going to ask people about this after patch. It was blatant before, no question about it, but like I said before, I havent notice that after patch. Im waiting for it in every match and its not as obvious as it was.
Im on professional tho.

Is it still the case after patch?
I was going to ask people about this after patch. It was blatant before, no question about it, but like I said before, I havent notice that after patch. Im waiting for it in every match and its not as obvious as it was.
Im on professional tho.
IMHO it seems the same, no matter patch. It is scripted in the core of the CPU AI. I started 2 new saves after patch and tried to give a chance to the mandatory ICC, which i usually skipped until now as it is the most scripted tournament in the game when you start with a below 3 stars team with low TS. The result was a 6-3 loss against INTER and a 2-1 against Schalke. For conspiracy facts, when the CPU scores 2 goals it seems like they change to easier mode, they try to play more varied football and are not so deadly accurate, thats why they end up for example having 3(3) shots and 2 goals.If you score some goals and start to challenge them they go to terminator mode again.So i skip ICC matches again as i find them pointless.I just clarify that this happens very often, it is not obligatory that it will happen 100% frequency.
PROFESSIONAL seems to be again the last level that you can have proper simulation of football in a cost of lack of challenge after a point of time.After on it becomes just a video game.

Thanx for the FK tips. I assume i make mistake with the L-stick input as i always push UP direction, from muscle memory form older PES where in used to give extra shot power. But it seems it does not work these days. I must go to training ground and retake some FK courses! :P

IMHO it seems the same, no matter patch. It is scripted in the core of the CPU AI. I started 2 new saves after patch and tried to give a chance to the mandatory ICC, which i usually skipped until now as it is the most scripted tournament in the game when you start with a below 3 stars team with low TS. The result was a 6-3 loss against INTER and a 2-1 against Schalke. For conspiracy facts, when the CPU scores 2 goals it seems like they change to easier mode, they try to play more varied football and are not so deadly accurate, thats why they end up for example having 3(3) shots and 2 goals.If you score some goals and start to challenge them they go to terminator mode again.So i skip ICC matches again as i find them pointless.I just clarify that this happens very often, it is not obligatory that it will happen 100% frequency.
PROFESSIONAL seems to be again the last level that you can have proper simulation of football in a cost of lack of challenge after a point of time.After on it becomes just a video game.

Thanx for the FK tips. I assume i make mistake with the L-stick input as i always push UP direction, from muscle memory form older PES where in used to give extra shot power. But it seems it does not work these days. I must go to training ground and retake some FK courses! :P
You're welcome. Hope it helps.
I rarely use direction Up to be honest. Only from far, when i see my loaded power is too low. But from far i rather go for knuckleshot. I load shit lot of power and hit it again just as they kick. Havent scored knuckleshot goal yet, but its fun just to watch ball going crazy.

So if you still have this blatant AI come back there are two options (or mix of both).
- Either Professional difficulty has a lesser effect on it after the patch.
- Or my team spirit minimised the effect, as I achieved around 80 shortly after patch.

I was wondering about this as I had 3 games, where I scored within the first few mins of the match and I was waiting for AI to go crazy. But they never did. I won 1-0, 2-0 and had 1-1 draw.

Last edited:
@aussiepesfan - some great matches, especially the one against Newcastle!
Question - how do you perform 1Vs1 dribbling?? This is one area, where I need a lot of work.
Im talking about the one you did during second half Newcastle match at 2:22mins.
That looked brilliant and done with such an ease!
Was it just a left stick? R2? Right stick?
It was deadly!

Im talking about the one you did during second half Newcastle match at 2:22mins.

when I go to 2.22 of youtube clip its a cross???? not sure our youtube clips are in synch lol. what time in the actual match was it???

And just to let you know... the left stick right stick stuff.. no good I reckon..unless you have a real dribbler... best thing to do is simply use the left stick.. slow down or press R2, and then go and accelerate a particular direction. Ive also noticed by just dribbling with L stick, you occasionally automatically pull off certain cool dribbling moves.. based on your player, and context of the direction you suddenly go in relation to defender. I have a lot of work to do with my dribbling.. and need to in fact remember to slow things down.. not sprint, and hold the ball up... and go round in circles holding the ball up until I know I can get away from defender or perform a better pass. In those clips, I did try using more high balls..using the map a lot, as I do since the camera view I like is quite close.

Playing on legend level i come across the same CPU behavior. When you are behind, you see a complete different match than at the start of the game.

As far as i noticed this is down to the A/D levels the CPU oppenent is using. At the start of the match the match is excellent and realistic, strikers are pressing me and midfield is dense. After scoring, they select switch to a more defensive-orientated playstyle - this may be comprehensible, but its impact is a bit too massive in my opinion, as large parts of the midfield a sacrificied for parking the bus.

It´s far from being gamebreaking (as the CPU is still dangerous when it come to counter-attacks), but it softens the immersion of being controlled by a superior team much more than necessary.

when I go to 2.22 of youtube clip its a cross???? not sure our youtube clips are in synch lol. what time in the actual match was it???
You were trying to cross it and i think you hit one of your own players. Ball bounces of him and goes to another of your players near the touch line. And he just flicks the ball to the side. Thats the one i meant.
51:40 in match time.

Back
Top Bottom