PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

The shooting still feels floaty and too powerful, the trajectory is fast, the unreasonable urgency of going forward is still there, not impressed at all with the pace or with the shooting
This was not the AI playing mate, these were two human players. Personally I think the pace looks and feels great, you get time to think, which is good(what u do with it is up to you ofcourse).

Please explain to me how shooting can be floaty and too powerful at the same time? I tried but I just don’t get it. I’d take powerful over floaty in a heartbeat. The graphics look super, the robotic animations are gone and I love the player models. The game really flows like a match on tv.

We all have our own expectations and wishes so we can’t all be completely satisfied with every release but this year I am looking at the glass and think its half full(almost full) while some really think its as good as empty.

The competition has not shown anything that raised my eyebrow and they are usually Ace in that department. The game looks like last years release but feels worse(so I’ve read).

So unless the demo is a shocking improvement, this will be the year I break the tradition of buying both games.

Are this vídeo from peru the code we will get in the demo? If so the shooting shows no improvement for me. Is continues to have the same trajectories, and rocket speed straight line.

I Just hope that shooting has more variation in demo, Otherwise online will get boring very fast with the same type of goals every single time.

Waiting for the demo but i'm less and less confident that real shooting variation will be present in Pes 2018 if that video is from the demo.

The shooting still feels floaty and too powerful, the trajectory is fast, the unreasonable urgency of going forward is still there, not impressed at all with the pace or with the shooting
Shooting can indeed be better but hey, pace depends on how one plays the game. If two humans played each-other trying to play quick counter end-to-end football without midfield play, the resulting match would be end-to-end football without midfield play.
I've played the beta and I've had several slow and enjoyable matches with proper buildup for example.

Unreasonable urgency to go forward? Didn't see it there. Plenty of peeps play PES without any build up, I found little fault with these two guys. So they didn't just want to camp around the center circle and pass the ball around the whole time and instead actually wanted to score some goals, I can understand that. They also had pass support on, which I would say is terrible, because it is, but they still made the game look good using it.

I'm loving the speed of this game, for some reason I stuck with the default speed on 17, probably because I started with Fulham in ML and with those weaker teams the speed seemed fine. Then slowly working up to the first leagues and stronger players, the speed gradually got insane without me noticing it. I can tell you though, going from the PES 2018 online beta back to 17, Jesus.

I hope for a slower build up when facing certain teams.
The direct long ball play that some teams have in ML is almost unbearable.
defenders hoofing it up to heir wingers for 90 minute tee with super accuracy,or the super fast 3-4 passes going through your midfield almost every time.
And konami needs to work on positioning,especially in midfield.
But,yes the demo needs to come now!

One of the downsides of Pes (17 mostly as i have only played 2 games of the 18 beta) that it is just so random.
Random could be a good thing, but in Pes it's not (in my opinion).

I have had cases where i was 1 on 1 with the goalie and did a finesse shot, it was just without any power (although i charged it up to at least half).
Next situation i'm on the edge of the penalty box, same power, and i hit a rocket(!)

Doesn't make sense to me and i really hope they fix that.
Besides that i think that the animation of a finesse shot in Pes looks very unrealistic.

Other than that i'm really enjoying 17 (ok beside the catch up bug and scripting) so i'm looking forward to 18. The tempo is much better and with fixed shooting it could just be amazing.

One of the downsides of Pes (17 mostly as i have only played 2 games of the 18 beta) that it is just so random.
Random could be a good thing, but in Pes it's not (in my opinion).

I have had cases where i was 1 on 1 with the goalie and did a finesse shot, it was just without any power (although i charged it up to at least half).
Next situation i'm on the edge of the penalty box, same power, and i hit a rocket(!)

Doesn't make sense to me and i really hope they fix that.
Besides that i think that the animation of a finesse shot in Pes looks very unrealistic.

Other than that i'm really enjoying 17 (ok beside the catch up bug and scripting) so i'm looking forward to 18. The tempo is much better and with fixed shooting it could just be amazing.
When I moved from -1 to 0 game speed I haven't really had any problem with the "catch up bug"
My fast players really stand out when chasing for the ball.
Scripting though...

New Podcast episode 5 we discuss Pes, FIFA, Fulham and random stuff. And a lot of swearing .

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-contextual-podcast/id1126505691?mt=2#episodeGuid=tag:soundcloud,2010:tracks/337458889
i skipped episode 4 as i'm not into that wrestling stuff...
but um currently listening to the latest eposide. made me smile a few times. keep it coming!!!

one thing: steve-o's sound quality isnt the best. if he promisses to get a new microphone ill be that second user watching your streams 24 hours straight! :LOL:

One thing that didn´t work in the beta:
When you had a direct free-kick against you.
Normally you can hold down triangle and move the keeper sideways on the line.
Worked in the last releases and saved me from conceding free kick goals many times.

It didn´t work in the beta though...so I hope it´ll work in the full game.

One thing that didn´t work in the beta:
When you had a direct free-kick against you.
Normally you can hold down triangle and move the keeper sideways on the line.
Worked in the last releases and saved me from conceding free kick goals many times.

It didn´t work in the beta though...so I hope it´ll work in the full game.
i guess it will be working. plus: they promised that option to have the keeper take a step in the "over wall direction" when you want it! this should be a pretty mini game when playing against humans. fix your free kick trajectory with R2 button and then try to fool your opponent! :) waiting for that!!

found this online manual for 2018: https://www.konami.com/wepes/2018/manual/xbox-one/en/top.html
Tilt the LS to the
ar_icon07.png
or
ar_icon03.png
before the kick to choose a direction to move in. When the set piece taker kicks the ball, you will jump in the direction you tilted. The earlier you tilt the LS, the farther you can jump.

Last edited:
this fucking dude got me blocked on Twitter now

I took the opportunity to tell Asim to stop slacking off (in jest) and he went Cartman style berserk and subsequently blocked

Me and my misunderstood sense of humour.
Ah, we have a new member! Welcome to the club! :D

I kid, but in all seriousness, I didn't read it as a joke either because it didn't have a smiley at the end, and saying "get over it" isn't going to calm anything down...!

Wait, let's not mistake fun for something else here.
Virtua Striker 2 provided a lot of fun to me, yet it was one of the most arcadey titles ever. It was fun exactly because it was utterly arcadey and, at times, nonsense indeed. this doesn't mean that I still would play it over PES 2017.
We keep asking for a simulation, but keep in mind that simulations aren't always fun and easy... They're frustrating at times (think of playing Rfactor 2 or Assetto Corsa/Project Cars with all the driving aids off, such experience can become frustrating pretty easily).

I feel this is true. Back then, single player was the key mode... Now it's not anymore I believe.
the reason i think PES 3 and 5 are more fun is shooting and AI defending is better making the challenge greater. PES 2017 isn't as fun because it lacks in these two important areas. How can 2017 be more simulation than 3 when shooting is so perfect or arcade?

Hey gang. Just watching the nba2k18 Get Shook Trailer and one thing came to my mind:
We nearly made it to the demo/final game this year without having compared PES2018 with any other genre sport game. and we sure are talking straight and a lot about the pros and cons, god knows. :)

Maybe the community is doing baby steps too... ;)
I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

No need to look at Fifa 14, every recent Fifa has better shooting variety than Pes unfortunately.

The most frustrating thing is old WE on Ps2 had more shooting variety and trajectories than a 2017 game.

Looking back at the goals in this vid, I think during those years, many of our shots came from volleys (like 80% of goals you see in this vid), coz somehow hitting it first time on the drop makes it easier than any other shooting option. Keepers also get stunned and don't give maximum effort often when faced with these volley shots. That part of it gets tiring as well. Almost like finding that sweet spot for R2 shooting, and we end up doing it again and again throughout the year. It just reminds me that every year the game has its shortcomings

This was not the AI playing mate, these were two human players. Personally I think the pace looks and feels great, you get time to think, which is good(what u do with it is up to you ofcourse).

Please explain to me how shooting can be floaty and too powerful at the same time? I tried but I just don’t get it. I’d take powerful over floaty in a heartbeat. The graphics look super, the robotic animations are gone and I love the player models. The game really flows like a match on tv.

We all have our own expectations and wishes so we can’t all be completely satisfied with every release but this year I am looking at the glass and think its half full(almost full) while some really think its as good as empty.

The competition has not shown anything that raised my eyebrow and they are usually Ace in that department. The game looks like last years release but feels worse(so I’ve read).

So unless the demo is a shocking improvement, this will be the year I break the tradition of buying both games.
I dont know but for me pa1 is still too easy and passes zip on the floor with no wobbling and are laser guided , there is no first touch error etc...feels too much like 17

One thing that comes to mind when watching Real vs Barca is how much space they have.
I hope that Pes 18 also takes that into consideration when releasing it.
Of course it should be tight in or just outside the box,but not tight enough so you can't make a feint/move.
17 is very robotic in that sense,inch perfect marking all over the pitch more or less,no time whatsoever

Plus one other thing,I hope they separate difficulties properly.
Playing ML on 17 means your manual passing is way easier on Proffesional than TP/SS,which is very weird,make it equally difficult on all levels and let opponents be sharper instead
A couple of thoughts regarding Pes 18

Man oh man... this month will be unbearable!

Everytime I think of playing a game, PES comes to my head. But I can't play PES 2017 anymore. I would pay 100 euros right now to have PES 2018 earlier.

Guys i was tryinf to play pes 17 manual, but i struggle a lot when i need to make a tight space sudden cross, u have to push l2 and point the arrow and press, sorry but this is so annoying and not doable under pressure,simply too.many buttons to push...

Back
Top Bottom