PES 2018 Master League WHAT DO YOU MISS thread: PART 2 (please read first post)

What past Master League features do you miss the most?

• Monthly training schedules (for individuals, e.g. week 1 strength, week 2 pace etc.)

Votes: 39 40.6%
  • "Regulate Condition" (select players to train extra hard - raises their form arrow, costs stamina)

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • Fatigue bar (play someone too often, the bar increases, you risk injuring them if fitness stat poor)

Votes: 66 68.8%
  • Tactic scenario settings (e.g. if trailing use tactic A, level use tactic B, winning use tactic C)

Votes: 42 43.8%
  • Pre-match opposition tactic presentation from assistant manager (highlights team style, key players)

Votes: 51 53.1%
  • Free training mode (take ML team onto training pitch, practice before games, test different players)

Votes: 49 51.0%
  • Re-train player position as a training option (currently you can do this only by playing them there)

Votes: 47 49.0%
  • Dynamic development curve (player develops faster when playing, deteriorates when not or injured)

Votes: 68 70.8%
  • Strip selection (mix and match home/away/third kit shirts/shorts/socks)

Votes: 53 55.2%
  • Network mode (export your Master League team to challenge others online in friendlies/tournaments)

Votes: 14 14.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
Hey guys.

In addition to the Master League feedback thread, we've also been asked to collate a list of what you miss from previous PES Master League experiences.

I started creating a poll for this, but ended up coming up with 20 classic features, and each poll only supports 10 items... So this is PART TWO.

Please discuss in this thread, and also help me remember the bits I've forgotten!

We really want to get this right, and the more responses we get - INCLUDING posts just agreeing with others (so that it can be demonstrated that lots of people agree with something) - the better.

We have to keep this thread in order for legibility, so please try to refrain from going off-topic, and please don't be offended if we delete posts that are.

Thanks, everyone. We'd really appreciate your input.

The more features the better, how about having a feature toggle when you start ML to decide what you want to turn on or not?

I remember way back when you could choose your transfer frequency and transfer difficulty, why did they get removed?

Personally I miss the magic bananas :)

I tried not to vote more than 4 in each thread.
Doesn't seem to be realistic if all options are highly voted. It certainly won't make them work on all of them at once.

But, if some options are much voted than others, then I supposed they can take them into consideration and really work on those.

• Staff
I tried not to vote more than 4 in each thread.
Doesn't seem to be realistic if all options are highly voted. It certainly won't make them work on all of them at once.

But, if some options are much voted than others, then I supposed they can take them into consideration and really work on those.
There are three absolute standouts in this instance - dynamic development curve, fatigue bar and strip selection.

I think that's a pretty good start!

There are three absolute standouts in this instance - dynamic development curve, fatigue bar and strip selection.

I think that's a pretty good start!

Sure!

I just wouldn't want people to think "Why vote 2 or 3, when we can vote all of them and make Konami work on everything". When we all know that just won't happen.

Sure!

I just wouldn't want people to think "Why vote 2 or 3, when we can vote all of them and make Konami work on everything". When we all know that just won't happen.

I actually think that the development curve in players was too quick in past editions... ML should be about the long haul not quick success .. although lately the progress usually takes the team 4 seasons before it starts motoring which is down to scripting but after that it peaks too quickly especially using assisted which leads to an "I've achieved everything scenario".

I actually think that the development curve in players was too quick in past editions... ML should be about the long haul not quick success .. although lately the progress usually takes the team 4 seasons before it starts motoring which is down to scripting but after that it peaks too quickly especially using assisted which leads to an "I've achieved everything scenario".

Indeed.

Since I bought PES 2018 I've been writing a 3 pages long Word document with all the things I would like to see improved. Devided by sections (Gameplay and its sub-categories, Graphics, Master League, Other Modes, etc).
And one of the things I wrote there is that Master League should be hard to Master (pun intended). That should be the core of it. A steep learning curve. Something that would force us to think, learn, make decisions, be smart. Not just pick-up-and-play.

Example: Increase tickets price in order to make more money. But if your teams isn't winning, nobody will pay that money to go see the matches. So you're in trouble. But if you were winning and playing all competitions, then people should pay anything to see their team, which is worth seeing. Hence... you've made a good decision.

Was there not something like that in one of the past editions Chuny? Where gate receipts would effect your finances .. .I hope I'm not going senile. . can't remember which one it was.

I think there was one year were you´d win more money on home matches, due to gate receipts. Away matches you only win money if you draw, or win the match, like some kind of award.

I think there was one year were you´d win more money on home matches, due to gate receipts. Away matches you only win money if you draw, or win the match, like some kind of award.

I think so too xicpanad . ..funny how some people you try interact with feel above you and don't answer you. .I'm sure the gate receipts determined your transfer money in a past game.

Last edited:
Yep, it did. I can´t remeber wich one was, but I know I played the guts out of it. Totally immersive! I remember that I used to buy a couple expensive players, and then I had to win matches until the salaries were paid... or else, if I was short on money, some players would be released and I was left with a weak team again and a dificult financial situation. I even think that at the end of the season, if the balance was negative, it was game over.

Yep, it did. I can´t remeber wich one was, but I know I played the guts out of it. Totally immersive! I remember that I used to buy a couple expensive players, and then I had to win matches until the salaries were paid... or else, if I was short on money, some players would be released and I was left with a weak team again and a dificult financial situation. I even think that at the end of the season, if the balance was negative, it was game over.

Yeh one of the editions if you were in debt it ended... was it 2009? Or in that era between 2009 and 2012. .damn thats gonna wreck my head figuring out which one it was.

Yeh one of the editions if you were in debt it ended... was it 2009? Or in that era between 2009 and 2012. .damn thats gonna wreck my head figuring out which one it was.

Would be nice if they fired you, but then you had other job offers pending.
Even if not right after they fired you. Maybe you had to sit for a few weeks/months until some other team offers you a job which you can take or decline until another offer that is more tempting comes along.

Would be nice if they fired you, but then you had other job offers pending.
Even if not right after they fired you. Maybe you had to sit for a few weeks/months until some other team offers you a job which you can take or decline until another offer that is more tempting comes along.

My biggest fear of Challenge mode Ml is the expectations of the board . ..e.g managing a bunch of no hopers and being told to make it into the top four in your first season on Superstar .. .. .. ..forgeddaboutit.

My biggest fear of Challenge mode Ml is the expectations of the board . ..e.g managing a bunch of no hopers and being told to make it into the top four in your first season on Superstar .. .. .. ..forgeddaboutit.

Hmm, where did I see this before?...

About sacking in old PES´s... I dreamed for years for a possibility to change clubs. It´s finally here now and it´s one of the things I really love. I usually pick some lesser club and try to fight my way until I finally get an invitation from my favourite club...

That's what always happened to me in PS2 ML. I'd reach that peak with young players in 5 years and the game ends for me right there. That is why I always wished to be able to move out and start a new adventure, but keep my records. And we have that now, in addition to board expectations so I'm delighted :)

And by the way, we had board expectations in PES Management, a game released in 2006 for the PS2. It might not be the best game, but it certainly had a ton of options we could've used for barebone ML back then, even now!

Was there not something like that in one of the past editions Chuny? Where gate receipts would effect your finances .. .I hope I'm not going senile. . can't remember which one it was.

That's PES 2010. My favorite ML to date. I haven't started 2018's ML so hopefully it impresses.

Hey guys.

In addition to the Master League feedback thread, we've also been asked to collate a list of what you miss from previous PES Master League experiences.

I started creating a poll for this, but ended up coming up with 20 classic features, and each poll only supports 10 items... So this is PART TWO.

Please discuss in this thread, and also help me remember the bits I've forgotten!

We really want to get this right, and the more responses we get - INCLUDING posts just agreeing with others (so that it can be demonstrated that lots of people agree with something) - the better.

We have to keep this thread in order for legibility, so please try to refrain from going off-topic, and please don't be offended if we delete posts that are.

Thanks, everyone. We'd really appreciate your input.
Warning: This post is going to be image heavy.

As I've mentioned earlier, I've been playing PES Management (since yesterday) because I remember the game having a lot more options than ML; being ML on steroids to an extent. Here are a few screenshots of tactics options I'd love to have in ML.

You might say we have some of these options, you're right. But there are slight differences. I'll ignore the 1st and 3rd options, Attack/Defense and Offside Trap since we have these already (though I'd argue the offside trap hasn't been working properly for a number of years).

Team Tactics
Pressure:

WkU5wyS.png

lBvpKZy.png

7HuJryP.png

We have it in some form in PES 2018, but what we have currently using the "aggressive" and "frontline pressure" options is a simple on and off, either pressure players, or not. In PESM, as you can see, we have 4 options; pressure players all over the pitch, in your half, in and around your box, or no pressure. Pretty self explanatory. The wider the coverage though, the more your players will use up energy.

Pacing:

taiwHB2.png

This option instructs the players how to use their energy. You can set them to run around more or not. So even if you instruct your players to pressure teams using the above option, you can still specify how much energy they're going to use when pressing, or not. Not a bad idea. Set both of these options to "All" and "High 2" though and your stamina is gone before you know it. Unless you've got the right players (and staff) for this tactic.

Group tactics

E4LvM6t.png

wXSslOV.png

This is one we don't have in PES 2018 and I'm guessing is triggered automatically when certain players are on the ball. It used to be the "Playmaker" ability that triggered players to move accordingly, but not sure how it works now. With this option though, you can manually instruct a group of players movements when an "Instigator" has the ball. Currently I'm locked to just one group instigator because of my "reputation" and can unlock the rest as I build up more rep (which is a silly thing to do but anyway). I've set a few movements as you can see in the image. The 2nd image shows the options you can choose from when selecting a player other than the instigator. "O" means I've mastered that specific option under training settings, and X means I haven't, which means if I use it it won't be as effective. Giggs is selected here and I've instructed him to run to the side (wing) when Rio has the ball.

Individual Tactics

BeG0KyM.png

This is the one that is the most customizable! Each player has 15 different sets of AI instructions to try get as much individuality as possible (in addition to their ability stats and skills of course!). At the top, there's an option to set "Free Role" to a player. This allows certain players more freedom on the pitch.

In this example, I've chosen Rooney to explore. See images for setting description and the different options available. I'll only comment if the image doesn't show the proper description.

Pass Type
k0D5SIP.png

Through Pass
rnuOFvW.png

Cross Pass
0wccVRa.png

Change sides
Wz5eWBk.png

Dribbling
wNrPmN3.png

One Touch (Aggressive & Normal can only be selected when "Dribbling" is set to "Never")
xvUuV60.png

Mid Shot
bE6noAJ.png

Holding Up
8aOItwz.png

Header (Try to score headed goals. This makes it easier for players to play high crosses)
fRhJrtl.png

Reaction
xD6xSty.png

Counter
sTyoXWl.png

Tackle
4DGRuqS.png

Join Attack
LARzVif.png

Overlap (Get forward to join attacks. "Use" can only be selected when "Join Attack is set to "Normal")
z6uUuvL.png

Chasing
Pt0vhyX.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aaaand I'm done. That was hefty..

Now I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but you can always leave it on default tactics and just play like you always did :) This is for the die-hards who are into this kinda stuff (like myself) and love to tinker around to get as close to the real thing as possible.

These suggestions I showed from PESM don't have to be used like for like, as improved versions of them can be implemented of course since this is an 11 year old game! But I just wanted to show the myriad of options that were given to us back then that could return and be taken advantage of now, since this thread is about ML features we've missed from the past.

I know I'm too hopeful Konami might read and implement this, but better try than nothing at all. So please "Like" if you like what you see here as this might help a lot :) Even if you're neutral ;).

I'm also very hopeful that if these were to be implemented, that we'd also have them obviously in edit mode to edit all the other teams.

Thanks for reading, and hope you like what you see here!

Last edited:
I agree to have many options @Lami but i thought some of parameters in that manager game will be override by our controller in such as pass types, dribbling, mid shot, header.. unless we play in coach mode

Other defensive/attacking parameters.. i think that has been individual traits currently under different terms. The issues is how it is translated into actual game.. you know like 40-100 values on stats.. how they differ between 40 and 60 or 60 ans 71 ? This is the issue. Programmer could use range for that though.

Sometimes i would like to know what is those stats that we have actually intend to tell on the pitch.

Last edited:
I agree to have many options @Lami but i thought some of parameters in that manager game will be override by our controller in such as pass types, dribbling, mid shot, header.. unless we play in coach mode

Other defensive/attacking parameters.. i think that has been individual traits currently under different terms. The issues is how it is translated into actual game.. you know like 40-100 values on stats.. how they differ between 40 and 60 or 60 ans 71 ? This is the issue. Programmer could use range for that though.

Sometimes i would like to know what is those stats that we have actually intend to tell on the pitch.
Oh, those settings I posted would be also very helpful for the CPU AI in edit mode. I'm hopeful if they added at least the individual AI instructions that they'd be editable in edit mode as well.

Oh, those settings I posted would be also very helpful for the CPU AI in edit mode. I'm hopeful if they added at least the individual AI instructions that they'd be editable in edit mode as well.

Interesting stuff there Lami.

I haven't found the first thread, but there is so much more that could be implemented.

For example the option to start the ML midway to the season with the possiblity to start with a ranking that you can make yourself. For example Man Utd in 14th position at Christmas and you taking over as manager.

The possibility to introduce a Sugar daddy or the opposite: that your club is in dire staits and that you only can loan players.

A transfer ban (like Atletico at the moment).

Realistic form curves for both players and teams. A player who scores a hattrick gets a green Arrow up and Swansea after having won 4 consecutive matches are harder to beat than after 4 consecutive defeats...

Players asking to go to bigger clubs and refusing to play or being on very low form.
Players getting tired and getting more injury prone after European or domestic cups and midweek matches.

National coach selecting injured players (Kompany and Hazard recently irl).

Don't get me started on this, i can continue for a week...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom