PES 2018 Master League FEEDBACK THREAD (please read first post)

What of the following have you experienced when playing the PES 2018 Master League?

• Transfer fees much lower than market value are accepted when buying (or selling) top quality players

Votes: 55 53.9%
  • Release fees are too low to make sense (around the same price the player is purchased for)

Votes: 57 55.9%
  • Big name players in their prime join smaller clubs than is realistic

Votes: 73 71.6%
  • Average players move to clubs who wouldn't know them (e.g. poor UK player moving to Chilean team)

Votes: 58 56.9%
  • Players who've recently joined a team (in real life) join a new team immediately (first season)

Votes: 62 60.8%
  • Team Spirit level has too much impact (low = hard just to pass the ball, high = too easy)

Votes: 52 51.0%
  • Deadline day is poor (can't finish enough negotiations, shouldn't take "2 hours" to accept a deal)

Votes: 48 47.1%
  • Retired players appearing in your youth squad each season ruins your immersion in the experience

Votes: 80 78.4%
  • Player stamina recovers too quickly between matches (meaning you rarely have to change your lineup)

Votes: 37 36.3%
  • There are barely, if any, injuries (meaning you rarely have to change your lineup)

Votes: 71 69.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
Hey guys.

So, the community have been asked to collate Master League feedback, with the view of improving the mode in the years to come.

We really want to get this right, and the more reports we get - INCLUDING posts just agreeing with others (so that it can be demonstrated that lots of people agree that something is an issue) - the better.

This isn't the place to start defending the game - I have a horrible feeling ten people will say "transfer fees are too low" and one person will start telling us all we're "playing the game wrong" or similar. That's not how this works - if something is a problem for a lot of people, it's a problem that should be reported. (It's not like, if it's that way for a reason, they'll just change it.)

We have to keep this thread in order for legibility, so please try to refrain from going off-topic, and please don't be offended if we delete posts that are.

The poll is included to gain raw numbers experiencing the issues that the community has flagged so far - please vote!

Thanks, everyone. We'd really appreciate your input.

The single thing that stops me even bothering with the ML any more is that too many player stats just don't matter enough any more. It makes the whole experience of building a team, hunting for players with specific abilities for specific roles, far more shallow.

The single thing that stops me even bothering with the ML any more is that too many player stats just don't matter enough any more. It makes the whole experience of building a team, hunting for players with specific abilities for specific roles, far more shallow.

I don't agree Winston. .. different players have qualities which affect the team ... they were in Pes 2017 . ..buy a nippy player with dribbling skills and he will have an effect on the team .. .buy a great passer . .buy a player with an accurate shot . . they exist and will have influence on the team.

Some nice choices and already voted. Good luck Chris & evo-web.

Honestly I hope konami takes a good look at the fundamentals of ML and how they affect gameplay, more than trying to implement 1-2 small new features to appease us. So one of my choices was "Team Spirit level has too much impact". It's the closest to saying: Have a look at how team spirit and stats affect the gameplay in ML. Team Spirit is a nice concept but I feel it should be toned down just a bit or implemented better. I think last year the game played worse in ML than in exhibition mode because of it. Player stats should have a bigger impact on gameplay. It's the single most important thing for the mode, it makes matches against stronger/weaker teams feel different and more realistic, and transfers important.

Last edited:
I forgot to vote earlier, but did now. I missed the part where Adam retweeted this. Maybe there's hope...

Get rid of release clauses if you aren't going to implement them properly. Clearly this summer of madness inspired this feature... but then I turn around and see that Mbappe's release clause is 14 million. It's a joke.

And honestly if the random transfers aren't patched in the next couple of months I'll be done with this mode and possibly the game all together

I voted these4:

-Big name players in their prime join smaller clubs than is realistic
-Players who've recently joined a team (in real life) join a new team immediately (first season)
-Retired players appearing in your youth squad each season ruins your immersion in the experience
-There are barely, if any, injuries (meaning you rarely have to change your lineup)

Each of them just kill the fun of playing Master League longer than 2 seasons.
Along with the lack of depth in the Tactics/Strategy department and the scripting behind ML itself (players becoming far more unresponsive or even laggy when trying to dribble or run or perform in general - very different to what it feels in the other game modes - And has been this way for years, not just in 2018).

Although I would like to clear something. I would love to get injuries. BUT, they should happen ON the pitch. As a result of AI aggresiveness (hence, more fouls. Two birds with one shot), or as result of lining up a player too much too often, etc. I certainly don't want my players getting injured during training. Because that would feel cheap and scripted.

Picture this: You just bought your first Class A player, say Aguero, it took a lot of effort from you to get to that kind of player. You're very excited. You play a few matches with him on your team. Then, you receive a message in the ML menu saying Aguero got injured in a training session and he'll be out for 4 months. Wouldn't that be suspicious to you? Wouldn't you want to quit the game or load a previously saved ML?.

But if you're playing a game with Aguero on the pitch, in which you're getting a lot of tactical fouls to stop you, you're getting free-kicks, it's a tough but exciting game... until David Luiz slides and tackles Aguero badly. He leaves the pitch injured, and the medical staff tell you he'll be out for 4 months. That would be much more interesting. Specially because you'll want to kill David Luiz the next match you face him.

Not sure where to ask this so i'll do it here. So...
I haven't had a PES game since maybe 8 or 9 on the PS3 except one on the PSP, but i'm planning to get 18. An issue I had with these two previous games was that the goal/assists/ratings in europe and cup matches weren't recorded for posterity in the records room and saved as you moved into the next season (in ML). The PS2 games saved these records along with the league match stats. I always hated this and it made me cba playing outside of the league because the achievements of my players were wiped at the end of the season.
So in 2018 i assume there is still a records room equivalent in ML, and if there is does it record european and cup matches or just save the league match stats of your players?
Thanks in advance guys!

Not sure where to ask this so i'll do it here. So...
I haven't had a PES game since maybe 8 or 9 on the PS3 except one on the PSP, but i'm planning to get 18. An issue I had with these two previous games was that the goal/assists/ratings in europe and cup matches weren't recorded for posterity in the records room and saved as you moved into the next season (in ML). The PS2 games saved these records along with the league match stats. I always hated this and it made me cba playing outside of the league because the achievements of my players were wiped at the end of the season.
So in 2018 i assume there is still a records room equivalent in ML, and if there is does it record european and cup matches or just save the league match stats of your players?
Thanks in advance guys!

Agreed, keeping the history of what happens in the ML is important. Having the previous years top goalscorers and assists. So then when you get a regen that is amazing, you can one day break the record. Maybe even the commentary can bring it up. Imagine it's matchday 37, and the recrod is held by Aguero with 30 goals, and your 21 year old Croatian regen is on 29. He scores 2, and maybe there is a cutscene after the game where he is celebrated by his teammates and the stadium if he is at home. A golden boot celebration would be great too if your player scores the most goals across al the leagues in the ML.

One thing I wanted to suggest is a loyalty or enmity stat for the players. Say Pique would never sign for Madrid because they have a high enmity stat. He would also have a high loyalty stat towards Barca, even if he is on the bench, he is less likely to moan about it.

Can't even play the mode. Got a partial refund from Amazon and have sent a complaint ticket to KONAMI. It didn't use to be this bad. With in the first window Liverpool had sold Mane to Chelsea!!! And on top of that Salah, who they just bought, to Real Madrid. Everton sold Rooney to AC Milan. It just ruins the immersion of the mode as I look forward to playing the big match ups, and as PES is so rooted in team styles it would be great to play against Liverpool with their speedy wingers.

Can't even play the mode and am gutted as a result.

Oh god yeah, saving proper ML player history and records. Been asking for this since forever
So in 2017 or 2018 if you know already, can you tell me what player stats/histories are saved from the last season as you progress on to a new one. Thank you :)

Voted.
I haven't played ML at the moment, but i've read about the transfer frequency and that is unacceptable, once again customisation is the solution. It once was possible to set up the transfer frequency (high - average - low and barely nothing). If i'm playing a ML, i never play more than 5 seasons, i want a bare minimum of CPU transfers...

Also injuries.

Don't agree with the deadline day, that is more realistic than most people would think. It takes a lot of time to handle tranfers on deadline day and every year you see several transfers that are done too late (this year for example a Sporting player to Leicester, Barkley also decided at the last moment not to go to Chelsea and Spurs just missed Andre Gomez from Barcelona).

Found this thread after Adam retweeted it (though it appears to be gone now).

I'm a staunch advocate of shoring up the financial and transfer system in PES. There seem to be a few highly visible errors from my point of view. The budgets most teams have access to are not realistic. Player movement between leagues is not realistic (English players don't really leave England; South Americans favor Italian and Spanish teams; French leave the EPL to join Ligue 1 clubs; Brazil is always selling players to Europe; Top table teams don't buy average players). Loans currently in progress (you know, the 90 players Chelsea owns) aren't accounted for. Players moving more than once in the same transfer window. Loan rules aren't applied in the various leagues.

I've done a fair bit of work accumulating data on transfer budgets team-by-team across the various leagues, maybe 40 teams in total. Baby steps would go a long way toward getting the financials correct. Teams playing in the Eredivisie shouldn't have transfer budgets equal to mid-table EPL teams that run crazy amounts of debt to attract talent.

After we get past shoring it up, I'd love to move into more dynamic financial story arcs (new owner buys the team, injects a large sum of money for you to turn a squad around) where the table could be turned over after a few key events were put into motion. But for now I'd settle for making it feel more sane.

A great mistake is the beta testing, they release beta and demo with the exhibitions mode, this never match the other modes, so what's the purpose to do that? Test a mode that mostly no one play?
Give us the shit really scripted for master league/versus/tournaments so we can test in a proper way...
AI Legend in ML is something like'' pistol-whipping a blind kid '' (sorry is the only translation that i found to 'SPARARE SULLA CROCEROSSA), you have an horrible handicap and all the opponents are boosted and catch the 'momentum' every time.. So why play at this level, to broke the pad? To yell versus the nothing? To reload endless times the same match?
No, i wanna enjoy this game, not hate it, so i play on Top Player fucking the Konami scripts
And i enjoy that really.
Anyway put the mode's difficulty levels on the same par is the first step to avoid lying versus us

KONAMI really need to overhaul the whole transfer system.
They should add financial and reputation rating to each club and/or league, then use it to calculate transfer probability.
This should make it less likely a high rated player join smaller club/league.

As for transfer fee, I don't have any good idea to fix it as it is keep skyrocketing to insane amount.

Last edited:
I have one thing I guess in addition to what others have said: Clubs should have knowledge of how much they've paid for a certain player. It makes no sense that you can easily sign Mbappe on a cheap to any club when PSG paid 2 billion(EDIT: SEK that is, 200 million-ish dollars or pounds) for him. There must be some idea of investment there.

This could also potentially somewhat alleviate the issues with teams buying a player one second and selling him the other if they expect some kind of payout in terms of winning tournaments, or such, for their investment.

Last edited:
I have one thing I guess in addition to what others have said: Clubs should have knowledge of how much they've paid for a certain player. It makes no sense that you can easily sign Mbappe on a cheap to any club when PSG paid 2 billion(EDIT: SEK that is, 200 million-ish dollars or pounds) for him. There must be some idea of investment there.

This could also potentially somewhat alleviate the issues with teams buying a player one second and selling him the other if they expect some kind of payout in terms of winning tournaments, or such, for their investment.

What about setting your own value on your player before bidding starts? .. you could deliberately overvalue him as the A.I does for its own players.

What about setting your own value on your player before bidding starts? .. you could deliberately overvalue him as the A.I does for its own players.

agree, but the AI teams aren't so kind

Last edited:
My ML crazy transfers post patch:

Mustafi > CHELSEA
Salah > M CITY
CLYNE > EVERTON
Marcos Alonso > PSG

its not that bad however to fix the transfers only VI extra variables are needed.

I. TEAM GOAL. Set before the season.
1. Trophy winners: win at least one trophy during the season.
2. Promotion/Qualify for international competition: in top leagues it is about qualifying for competitions, in lower leagues it is promotion.
3. Top 10: finish in the top 10.
4. Avoid relegation.

II. PLAYER ROLE in ML contract. Friendly games not included.
1. Important player: should play 80% of the games between transfer windows if hes healthy. Its not just about being a starter but calculating in 90 minutes * X number of games during half a season. Loaning him would set him :( unhappy automatically.
2. Bench player: should play 30% of the games between transfer windows. Can go on loan.
3. Second squad player: no requirements. Can go on loan.

III. An attribute HAPPINESS. Which is also effected only at the end of the season by TEAM GOAL. If the goal is not met it affects the attribute -5%. Value is not reset at the start of the new season. For new signings it is N/A.
:) Happy: His play time is way over the expected playtime.
:I Neutral: His play time is not meeting the PLAYER ROLE requirements. Its in that -10% treshold of tolerance.
:( Unhappy: His play time is not meeting the PLAYER ROLE requirements and its beyond the -10% treshold of tolerance.
$$$: The condition can be boosted at any time with raising the salary.

IV. An attribute CLUB INTEGRITY. Defined by the HAPPINESS attribute.
A, Loyal Player - would never leave the club at any level of HAPPINESS. (Had only one club for more than 5 years)
B, Wanderer - would go in any transfer window at any level. (Had more than 4 transfers in 5 years)
C, Club player - would go after 1 year if hes unhappy but not to any rival. (Had 1 transfer in 5 years)
D, Neutral - none of the above, would leave only if hes unhappy in any transfer window. (Had 2-3 transfers in 5 years)

V. PLAYER QUALITY is an attribute to balance out the transfers between big and small clubs.
1. Legend: player above 90 rating and would only sign for a club >= 5 stars as "important player". 20% of salary raise included.
2. Superstar: player betwee 85-89 rating and would only sign for a club >= 4 stars as "important player". 10% of salary raise included.
3. Top player: player between 80-84 rating and would only sign for a club >= 3 stars as "bench player/important player". 5% of salary raise included.
4. Professional: player between 70-80 rating and would only sign for a club >= 2 stars as "second squad player/bench player/important player". For at least the same salary.
5. Amateur: player below 70 rating and would only sign for any club in any role. At least for the same salary.

VI. TEAM QUALITY is an attribute to balance out the transfers between big and small clubs. Its on a scale of 1-5 stars and calculated from the following variables.
1. Legacy(1-5 stars): a given value based on the clubs history. Set by default. Affected by 70%
2. Fame(1-5 stars): a variable based on the achived goals, trophies won last season. Affected by 20%
3. Squad(1-5 stars): a variable based on the quality of the players in the team. Affected by 10%

Club and player ratings and their relation in attributes V and VI are debatable as player ratings vary even by position.

EXAMPLE: TONY KROSS.
I. TEAM GOAL for REAL MADRID is "trophy winners". Lets say its not met.
II. The PLAYER ROLE is "important player" yet he only played 70%. This means the value is beyond the -10% treshold tolerance and affected by - 5% at the end of the season because I. is not met aswell.
III. Hes status is " :( unhappy"
IV. Hes a "club player" which means he wouldnt leave during the season but rather the end of it if you dont raise his salary.
X. Hes a "superstar" so the transfer would likely to happen to teams >=5 stars offering 10% of salary raise and a position of "important player". So he either leave if there is any offer which falls into the catagory and which are from none of the rivals or you raise his salary by 10% to prevent any transfers and make sure he stays. If there is no reasonable offer while hes unhappy during the window he'll stay.

Yes, club and player ratings are debatable as i mentioned. Also the values are not strict for salaries. Also there should be a system for youth players. They could even come out with random generated numbers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom