PES 2009 ps3 demo now out....

i played it for the last few hours (against mates - NOT COM)and gotta say it ain't that bad.
like some of you've already said, it is what pes2oo8 should have been!
the crowd is monotonous & the graphix are definately not next-gen, but the gameplay is solid and more playable as in the last year's version.
most annoying things imo, are the shots & the robotic kinda movement of the players. konami has to get rid of the digi-pad gameplay and move to analog controls.

It is an improved version of PES 2008.
Everything is slightly improved. Good news are : It feels like WE6 F.E.
a traditional PES/ WE gameplay feeling.
Bad news : Not Fifa like presentation , not great improvement in sound,faces etc. )
And without a doubt it is better than FIFA. (in gameplay)
We 3 guys played at least 10 matches (human vs human) FIFA and PES 2009 demos both.
We all are sure that PES 2009 is better in gameplay.
So I am sure that the game is going to be more improved than the demo.

The strange thing is that some players play by themselves if I don`t change the cursor....
If I pass to another player he takes the ball and go foward without my permission (rsrsrs) Anyoune knows what im doing wrong?

OK. Im loving this. I dont care for gfx, gameplay is where its at.
I see that nobody so far has mentioned the cursor control option called "Unassisted".
Switch it on, and finally...finally theres 100% control over player switching in PES. Been wishing for this since the beginning. Its a new game now as far as i see it. Takes time to get used to alright in the start :) Was wonderful to play defense forexample, can really mark players with a cause now! And also worked wonders for coop play, you switch to one player with L1 and it sticks to it, until you hit L1 again . Know what im saying, youll all feel it instantly. Dont dare to compare it to the elder versions cursor switch "slider" option.
Also got a wonderful example of the game's backspin physics recorded on video. Will upload later.
And Be a legend" in online coop sounds like a really kool idea, cant wait to try that as well in the full game.

Last edited:
The strange thing is that some players play by themselves if I don`t change the cursor....
If I pass to another player he takes the ball and go foward without my permission (rsrsrs) Anyoune knows what im doing wrong?
U have to set it to semi ass the setting your on you have to push L1 before you get the ball every time

anyone know any of the new tricks or the old ones can't remember them as i played the last few years on the ps2

Not available as of yet... still waiting...

Guys, just make a Euro Account on the PSN. Make a new user and use an Euro adress. And then you will find it no matter where you live!
I made an Euro account and I have it now.

Shooting is like in the old days . Its like WE 6 You press the square button with a little force but you give the power with direction buttons.
And you move the right stick There you have a manual pass. If you move it with L1 it is a pass from the air. But completely manual.
I liked it.
The 2008 version was a very fast game and ver unrealistic. Team work was a disaster. And there used to be a lot of free zones during the game. You get Inter , have Adriano and dribble at least 40-50 meter without an opposition each time and none of the defenders could catch you.(I am talking about human v human matches)
This one is much better than the previous game

Absolutely awful. The king is dead.

They spent a year giving us PES2008 packaged as PES2009. It's the same Fucking game yet slowed down to turtle speed.

I don't care about kits and stuff too much as the gameplay used to make this game. However, that is gone! Collision detection is rubbish, player animation is crude, and players spinning off the ball have the turning cycle of a 10 ton dump truck.

All these promises are just shallow waste. I can't see Konami coming back with the King of Football unless it seriously takes 2 years out, and therefore miss the PES 2010 entirely.

Words of malcontent and dismay cannot justify just how god awful this game is. Seabass, hang your head in shame you Cheshire Cat smiling mofo.

I tried this last night... I spent more time downloading it then playing it. To me, it all seems a bit rushed. Up close, the kits look nice and the detail on the players faces is good, but it plays like a PS1 game and it's always gameplay over graphics for me, though it is nice to have good graphics too. Everything feels a bit bulky to me especially the menus which I know isn't a big factor of it but still it's not great.

Glad I've got FIFA instead, though if this would have been good as well we probably would have ended up getting this too. Sorry Konami, stick to making Silent Hill.

I personally played both demos for hours.
I do not consider animations,kits,faces etc. Here I only talk about the gameplay.
I admit, Fifa is better in some areas. But ball physics -which is the most important- not satisfactory. Yep, Pes 2008 was a disaster about the team work and team defence. But now in 2009 it seems improved.
For me The best way to understand how good is a game: To play versus a human opponent. And we tested both of them.
Somehow, Fifa 2009 looks much more realistic in team-work. You can't find huge spaces in hi-level football and the players behave in coherence.
But in FIFA the crosses and shooting is not satisfactory. You don't feel your shoot. But in Pes you feel it and as soon as you shoot you know that it is a great shot or not.
In PES somehow it is a bit more individual. You do what you do and gameplay is in the second stage. And mostly speed is crucial. Slow but gifted players can not produce anything ( like Zidane,Riquelme etc.) The king is always fast and furious. (Adriano etc.) So this makes PES very unrealistic. But in previous series in WE or PES Veron was my best player and Crespo was the king. They were not a speedy monster as you know.
What i criticise about PES and admire about FIFA is : Pressure when opponent has the ball. In PES you always make pressure in hi-tempo. But in Fifa they measured it like in real life. Raul can not tackle you with infinite ammo ! (like he never does in real life). He just chases you for a while normally in real life and that is supposed to be in the game. (FIFA solved this)
So Finally both games have strengths and weaknesses for sure.
I'd personally prefer a Fifa game with PES ball physics. But It is not possible unfortunately.
Cheers

Wow! It's utter shite.

It's miles and miles away from where it should be by now. It's nothing like football. It plays like something from 2001. The ball physics is crude and laughable, as are the player movements and animations. This is the game that is all about "gameplay"? Deary me....

This game is to football what Mario kart is to Formula 1.

For the first time since I bought ISS Pro Evo 2, I won't be buying the game this year.

I've recently heard people say Konami should sack Seabass but I always thought that was tosh. But after playing this garbage, I don't see much hope for the series under him.
Damn!

So i guess i better stick to the PS2 version then. :mrgreen:

It's not what PES2008 should have been.....it's what PES6 should have been 2years ago. It looks like a half decent first attempt to move PES5 to the next gen platforms. Unfortunately it's way behind the competition now. And you can forget the myth that FIFA = Graphics and PES = Gameplay because FIFA plays a far deeper, more realistic game of football now. PES is dead. Get over it.

I'm the type who laps up minor updates of games. I was always buying beat-em ups for the little tweaks they offered which overall did actually add to the gameplay so i don't really have qualms about ''minor'' improvements that a game might have.

However after spending a fair while on the demo i cancelled my pre-order. This is the probably the first Pro Evo that i don't ''need'' to splash the cash on.

I've stuck with it through the Snes/N64 incarnations and the various J League versions, seen die-hard fans of other titles become utterly converted to PES and had epic tournaments between groups of friends, work-mates, folks i barely know in the pub and shop/bar run competitions and had loads of good fun with this game, but to me at this point with '09 it's run it's course.

----

At first i thought, fair enough this plays a bit like a J League version, it'll do but then even those games from 2002 onwards animated so much better than this.

The way you move and how you actually see yourself move onscreen does not translate well somewhere down the line. Some of the fluidity in the player animation is missing. Clunky is what comes to mind.

Now perhaps the old adage, ''if it ain't broke, no need to fix it'' comes into play now but i can't help thinking this old dog is on it's last legs. PES 2009 is a step backwards from better PS2 incarnations which is almost insulting, or perhaps baffling as to why this is so.

There's no personality to the game which it game once had.

I don't need to go over specific cons, the ones other members have highlighted are the ones i find too. Though i did think the evil ''momentum'' reared itself up in the bad way at times.

I was never a critic of that before actually but this time i've seen more un-punished tackles from behind, unrealistic speed ups of players (like catch up AI in race games) and several times poster-boy Messi broke the laws of physics so much he should appear in the new show ''Fringe'', he passed through players and missed animations out that would have made him lose the ball, so instead in some instances he ''zips'' around you, where one moment the ball is at his feet then the next animation frame it appears past you.

---

There are flashes of what it was, there is still a weight to players and passes that felt PES-like, same with the shots, but the movement of players themselves doesn't gel with this weighty feel anymore.

Pass then R2 creates movement in the team and allows better moves to be put together and does offer a way to get around the otherwise poor team AI.

I liked this new front end and presentation, no more poor unlicensed music and i thought the stadia atmosphere was well done, like a patched version almost, but while the stadia now gain a personality, the football teams with their almost clone army personas lose some.

---

It's better than 2008, to some players that will be a relief and i very nearly decided i would ''put up'' with this version, but it's time for the series to change and finally move on to this generation of systems.

The kicker is if i see it for lower than £30 i'll still buy it because i will get a few games out of it with my friends, but really...i should have the sense not to this time round.

Last edited:
OK. Im loving this. I dont care for gfx, gameplay is where its at.
I see that nobody so far has mentioned the cursor control option called "Unassisted".
Switch it on, and finally...finally theres 100% control over player switching in PES. Been wishing for this since the beginning. Its a new game now as far as i see it. Takes time to get used to alright in the start :) Was wonderful to play defense forexample, can really mark players with a cause now! And also worked wonders for coop play, you switch to one player with L1 and it sticks to it, until you hit L1 again . Know what im saying, youll all feel it instantly. Dont dare to compare it to the elder versions cursor switch "slider" option.

Really? Then what is the difference between this and "Semi Fixed" that PES has always had as an option? On your description it sounds exactly the same.

Even with semi fixed the cpu would switch your cursor during corners, in-box crosses as far as i can remember in earlier versions.
Now when unassisted is on, it sticks.

Hi there,
There's one thing that i dont understand...
The demo version will be the final version also 4 the graphics???
Cause on ps3 the graphics its shit...it looks like ps1...
Or is it a demo problem? I mean that the demo isn't playable at 1080i?

PES 2009... BEST!!!!

I'm afriad you are suffering from dillusions of grandure my son, its a stinker! Sure it beats last years (cough) effort but that, sadly, says very little.... Shame on you seabass, why part with 65e when I can take a shit at home for FREE!!:w00t:

sorry to say but for the first time since 2000, my money is going to EA....

Last edited:
Great demo. I definitely like it. For me it's much better than Fifa 2009.
Thanx to Konami for fixing the last game's problems and adding necessary stuff's such as decrease speed of the game process.
goin to purchase the game.

"does anybody know if there is any other way of getting the ps3 demo other than downloading it from the psn store?

i've tried it bout 100 times but it wont let me login for some reason

please help if ya can i'm dying to try the demo

PES 2009 PS 3

I Got the game PES 2009 its Great but cant import the kits other than that its great and they should improve the player shooting style make it more real. some more they have champions league which Fifa 09 doesnt have .

Back
Top Bottom