PC Tricks and changes in PES6 compared to PES5

jammybastard: It seems alot of people is frustrated with the shooting in particular.
Most people would agree that it takes a while to get used to each new PES, since they after all are different.
But certain things still need to feel right immediately. PES5 was very different from PES4, but the shooting was there instantly. Maybe a day or two and it was second nature. But PES6's shooting is not only different, it is flawed. Both the logic of "every misshit och misstimed shot should go over the bar even if the player only gives the shot a third of his power", aswell as the fact that it is sometimes impossible to get shots on goal, even if you press the shot button as little and quickly as possible.
In real-life, shooting a third of your shot power usually means that the shot will be travelling way slower than a third of the speed at full power, since the compression and resulting acceleration of the ball from the boot at higher shoting speeds increase faster than just linearly (In other words, if you shoot with higher strenghts, not only is the boot hitting and moving the ball faster, but the boot also travells off the boot faster, which gives it a double power increase if that makes any sense (both bootspeed and ball bounce acceleration are faster).

SilentscreamP: Well, I am saying I don't like the game. Certain things just seem like they should never have passed Konami's testers. Further more I feel that certain things like Goalies reactions and movements during freekicks have taken a huge step backwards from PES5 and WE9:LE, which takes the fun out of freekicks completely for me. New tricks are nice, but since there still aren't any useful tricks at high speeds, except for stepovers and the Roulette, the trick department isn't impressive either. Also, defending is now ridiculously harder than PES5, with players refusing to extend their legs to try and get a foot on the ball, which was great in PES5. Now you can actually stand between the player who has the ball, and the ball itself, and your player won't kick or take the ball even though it is right beside his leg and you are holding the button like a mofo. Playersalso have a habit of just gracing through the entire defence and sometimes just running past stationary defenders who seem wholly uninterested to contribute anything to the team.

Overall, I can only recommend you to try the game if you have it. Some people on this site do like the gameplay, and like the new changes. In certain aspects the changes are better, such as better AI and more ingenious playing from the AI offence. But the downsides for me far outweigh the upsides, especially if you are looking for a realistic game.

If you are looking to just have some fun with the mates, it might do just fine. And I suppose you can take the game back even after playing it if you are unhappy with it, but check store policys and such since here n Sweden we only can exchange something "used" if it is broken or defective. :)

i actually think the defence isnt that bad. if you hold R2 when you try and steal the ball, its pretty effective. to be honest that is almost exclusively what i use to attempt a tackle. what bums me out the most though still is the shooting. i still am yet to score a freekick from any range, and i have a hard time scoring in one on ones. i miss the days in PES5 where i almost new for sure the ball was going in bc of my perfect control of the power and placement of the ball.

I know what you mean. But for me, mainly it isn't just the fact that the shooting is different and requires adjusting. It is that the adjustment is really bad to me. The whole logic behind the shooting, how it affects good players and worse players, how different sutiations affect the shot and so on, that is what bothers me.

I am guessing R2 has the same function as in PES5, it slows the player down slightly when close to an opponent? I am sure I would get used to it, but the way some situations I have had have turned out I just cannot accept. Such as an opponent running throuhg a crowd of 3 defenders and none put out a leg, things like that. Surely PES5 has its drawbacks aswell, but there you could stop a player by simply standing in his way, something that has been greatly minimised in PES6. And as for any other shortcoming in previous PES, they have had a year to correct them and haven't. And as you say, I like PEs5 for it's predictability. It seems that in PES6, any player not gifted with a 98 shot accuracy will behave very unpredictably, and I am not sure I like that.

I have also had some weird very high shots even when not giving that much power. Surely there must be some way to prevent this? One would think that KONAMI test their games!

Morientes said:
I have also had some weird very high shots even when not giving that much power. Surely there must be some way to prevent this? One would think that KONAMI test their games!

One would... One would... As for PES6, I will put everything down as PS2 current-engine time-pressure whatever. Come PES7, if they don't improve things massively (Analog design for shots, passes, height of long pass trajectories, directions os passes and running (No freaking 8-way no longer) and get their act together I will be seriously pissed off. THis series has soo much more potential than it shows and Konami seem to let it slip by by focusing too much on the entirely wrong things. I don't want new animations when there is a digital 8-way direction system controlling where 40-metre passes end up. Who would accept that in real-life? Noone, so why should a game striving for realism be any different?

i agree with you 100% i hate to bring up a sour pes5 topic but i really feel that the "CPU cheating" is back in new different and subtle ways. whenever i go up 1-0 i instantly feel as if the game takes over. i cannot tackle for shit and my keeper doesnt parry any shots out of bounds just leaves it right in front of goal. and i concede many goals from corners which is extremely frustrating. to put it this way, i have saved 5 replays. one goal, 4 bugs.

Hehe. That isn't a good sign.

That is also something I have noticed, if you are a playing against a better team, they always seem to win headers in your box. Your players don't seem to put any effort into jumping and heading from times, even in situations that seem obviosly in favor of your player.

Also, the CPU cheating is my biggest gripe with PES. It's not what bothers me the most, but it is the most illogical thing. If I am playing AC Milan on their home turf, my team will suddenly play worse. And the difference is instantly recognizable if you have player several consequtive ML matches. You go from the end of the other match (where your players are tired mind) and they are still worse in the next match. Easy passes gets dropped over and over, SUpercancelling sometimes makes your player run in different directions to where you are pushing as to prevent you from reaching the ball, players trapping the ball will have slower animations to make it harder. Again, this is a difference notable from the end of last game where your players were tired. Now with full stamina they do worse. It is just mindboggling that in order for Konami to make a game challenging, they need to make my team worse instead of the other team better.

The lofted heel shot isn't physically possible with one foot on a stationary ball.

In the Zola goal, the ball was a little bit airborne.

Very informative thread though, a good read.

Thanks Guruz. :)

And yeah, To me it seems the loftd heel shot is totally impossible. With the heel being very blunt in shape and the ball being on the ground, I don't see how you could get that lift in any way.

ToaTheBoa said:
Guess it was because the post got very subjective after a while...

O:) :-\"

I suppose I could divide the post between the actual tricks and the more subjective views. Some people seem to have found it useful so worth a shot. I'll PM a mod and see if they feel it is worth stickying the tricks again. If not the thread will be intact.

Trance_Allstar,your posts are easily the best researched and most informative i've read on this game.
It's actually made me think whether the game i thought was good,is actually any good at all.
Now if only Konami had your phone number for PES7.......
:applause:

Last edited:
Glad you like them hehe. :)

I have played PES regularly since PES4, tried PES3 but didn't like the shooting system (where, similarly to PES6, the ball would soar like a beachball even though you never moved the shot bar into the higher regions). I also played ISS on the N64 in the good old days and played my brothers PES2 for PS1 till my fingers bled.

Also, I am the kind of player who watches replays over and over from different angles, read the manual for subtle things, Spend hours every day just taking freekicks in training mode trying different combinations of power and angles etc, and study things untill I know them, or untill my mates get so fed up they turn the system off.

Anyhoo, thanks for the compliments. :)

Yeah, you really know what you are talking about alright. You seem to know every bit of PES through and through.

Hopefully we will see a guide like this explaining how good PES7 is later this year. :D

God I hope it is good. I had originally planned to buy a 360 when PES6 came along, but once I played it on PC I was worried, and when I read about the butchering of alot of features I gave it up. I also recently tried the DEMO on my brothers XBOX360 and was as unimpressed as with the PC version. After 30 mins I just want to get away from the game. Graphically it is a step forward and the lighting gives it more depth and an air of atmosphere, but it still lacks alot of what made PES5 and WE9 great to me, and alot of things seem to be changed away from what I thought were, in PES5, very realistic and well-composed.

When a new engine comes along, I will be waiting with an open mind again.

By the way, if a new physics system would go into PES, I would absolutely love a "Custom Moves" generator. Basically a designer that allows, through basic building blocks or key frame animation in different modes (such as "standing", "jogging", "sprinting" etc) you to compose completely new moves and save them to the trick stick for use in game. For example you could recreate the Ronaldinho Flick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrC2KTVugC0) or the Christiano Ronaldo "behind the back" move (it is in FIFA07), aswell as alot of other cool flip-ups, moves while running, juggling etc. Basically you would design the move, and as long as the ball is in the right place and the player is good enough, it will be consistently performable. The player will perform the move with his body and the ball will just follow along as specified by the move and the physics system. The designer could calculate difficulty grades, and the more technical the player is, the better he could execute the move (some moves could only be performed by great players). It would also be sweet if you could chain several of those moves together to create sequences (for example following a custom overstep with a two-foot feint immediately followed by a C.Ronaldo-feint. Also it would be cool if you could assign diferent tricks to different players so that Defenders with poor technique have their own set of your moves, while C.Ronaldo has some trademark moves, Ronaldinho has a custom-made flip-flap. You could do the same for Free kick styles and other things. Very advanced but Sweet as hell! :)

Last edited:
btw anyone notice the difference in PES6 and WE10 ? the AI seems to be totally different . as in different styles of play .

Back
Top Bottom