General Sim Racing Thread

GSCE is class. Bought it earlier in the year. Loving the Formula Vees that were added in the last update. Also enjoying Spielberg Historic.

I'm only using a 360 Speed Wheel atm for convenience but I'm thinking of getting some Fanatec CSR Elite pedals to use with my G25.

Also tempted to get Formula Truck at some point as well just to support Reiza. Looks like a laugh!

Last edited:
Formula Truck is brilliant! Very different feeling to the physics and handling but in a good way. The torque those trucks put out is immense so gear changes are minimal. I think the engines are around 1000bhp or something.

Definitely get it. There is a 2014 update coming soon too. As you said, Reiza is worthy of our support - they keep bringing out all this great content for free. I feel like I should be giving them money!

Having a good pedal set is a must if you like your racing sims. I'm using Clubsport V2s and the load cell brake adds another level of realism.

Yeah, I'll get FT at some point soon especially as they'll be updating it too, like you say. To think there's more to come for GSCE as well! Why can't all developers be like this?!

As for the pedals, the G25's are decent enough but I would like a better set. The CSR Elites should be a decent upgrade. I need to get more use out of the G25 itself though. Had it for nearly 6 years but nowhere near used enough. Eventually, I'll probably upgrade to another wheel.

Last edited:
Mos def. I'll put some money aside and get them ordered!

What other sims do you play mate? Do you race online?

GSCE doesn't seem all that active online.

Mos def. I'll put some money aside and get them ordered!

What other sims do you play mate? Do you race online?

GSCE doesn't seem all that active online.

GSCE isn't that active online unfortunately. Not sure why because it's fairly popular. It seems that you need to get involved with organised racing to get the best online experiences with PC sims as there just isn't the online traffic you get with the likes of Gran Turismo and Forza.

Race Department seems to be a good place to go for organised racing. I've just upgraded my account to premium membership and applied for licensed status, which will give me access to their league and club racing events. They have a quite active GSCE community on there so I might try and hook up with them soon.

I'm not racing online that much at the moment. I was playing the DTM Experience multiplayer alpha quite solidly for a few weeks (which is very good) but numbers have cooled off recently.

I own most of the current crop of sims (rF2, R3E, Assetto Corsa, GSCE, Formula Truck) as well as all the old Race 07/GTR Evo content. GSCE is getting most of my time right now but for the past couple of months I've been most active on R3E doing hotlap competitions. Actually this is the game I'm most excited about for the future. Some great content is on the way and Simbin are overhauling the force feedback, physics and track mesh to give a more realistic experience. I know a couple of beta testers for R3E and they are really buzzing about the latest build.

Yeah I lurk on RD a bit but not thought about getting involved.

I've steered clear of R3E so far, tried it a few times but haven't bought any content for it but that could change if it improves. Is it just the free hotlap competitions you're doing or for content that you've bought?

I own rF2 and Assetto Corsa as well. Been enjoying rF2 recently along with GSCE. I like AC, though not played much lately, was getting slightly bored with it.

I've been doing the free hotlap competitions in R3E. They give you access to content that would otherwise require a purchase. There are normally a few DTM competitions going at any time. If you like GT racing then the ADAC GT Masters competitions are worth doing. Those cars are great - you get about 7 different GT3 models to use.

Feel free to send me a friend request in R3E (for leaderboard comparisons). My username is the same as here. Use the search function and you'll find me.

I'm not a fan of the free-to-play sales model in R3E but they always have content on sale and there is also a trick where you can add vRP to your account by paying in Russian rubels which gives a considerable discount (not sure why!!). ADAC GT and WTCC content is coming soon so R3E is worth keeping an eye on.

Regarding AC - I'm struggling a little with that game too. Not sure why as it ticks all the boxes but something about it feels a bit dull and lifeless.

rF2 has great physics and excellent FFB, but it's so rough around the edges. Looks and feels unfinished. It hasn't got much good quality content that interests me either.

Feel free to send me a friend request in R3E (for leaderboard comparisons). My username is the same as here. Use the search function and you'll find me.

Regarding AC - I'm struggling a little with that game too. Not sure why as it ticks all the boxes but something about it feels a bit dull and lifeless.

rF2 has great physics and excellent FFB, but it's so rough around the edges. Looks and feels unfinished. It hasn't got much good quality content that interests me either.

I'll add you mate, always up for beating times (or at least trying!).

Yeah I agree about AC, it's defo lacking something. I bought the URD mods for rF2 which are pretty good. I'm a bit of a sucker for retro F1 so like going back to rF2 for the 60s cars around the old Monza and Spa.

rF2 does a good job with the classic stuff. I'm useless with the 60's F1 cars but the F3's are good fun. Mind you GSC offers a lot of classic content now, both cars and tracks. URD stuff is really good but I prefer DTM Experience over their T5 mod - I really like the authenticity (all tracks etc) and the car sounds are awesome.

I'm a big fan of modern touring and GT cars so I guess R3E caters for my tastes more than other sims.

Ok, I've sent you a friend request on R3E. Will have a go on it when I get some time. The one thing that stood out for me on R3E was the excellent sounds so looking forward to giving it another go.

Sounds are the best. It's an area Simbin have always excelled in. You should put it in chase cam for a bit and listen to the engine from outside the cars. Replays are very satisfying in R3E and the cars sound awesome.

I've seen DTM and GT3 cars a number of times at Brands Hatch in recent years and Simbin have got the sounds spot on.

Had a quick go on R3E with the current ADAC GT Masters competition. My Speed Wheel doesn't work properly on it, both triggers go to 100% in game when I'm only squeezing them 50%. Still beat your time though! :P

Need to mess around with some video settings. It seemed quite demanding of my card (7950) without looking all that great. I can't stand jaggies!

I'm gonna order those pedals at some point over the next couple of days. Was thinking about adding the inversion kit but will leave that for now. How long did your pedals take to arrive after ordering them?

Reflection type is the killer fps hit in the graphics settings. Most people have to turn it down to 'simple cube map' to get decent fps. I'm running a 780 and even I have to do this sometimes. Try this setting above all else.

Shadow split is supposedly heavy on fps too. Try turning it off. Also see if dynamic reflections causes much of a hit. Motion blur can go if you don't like the effect (I hate it) as that costs fps. I also turn off FXAA and run 4xAA - this should sort the jaggies.

Regarding the pedals, I think they arrived in only a two or three days. They use UPS or one of the big companies I think.

Ok, thanks.

I'll give those settings a try as well. Motion blur was off right away and I turned a few other settings down just to get going. I'll have a mess around with it now.

I did as you suggested btw and changed to chase cam during a replay. Quality sounds. Something that bothers me with all these sims though is how they all have some unique part, like R3E with the sounds, but lack in other areas compared to each other. I wish I could merge all the best bits, similar to PES and FIFA!

Pedals ordered.

I see Fanatec have just announced their new wheelbase. Would love to get one of them eventually. Expensive though. I've been keeping an eye on the new Thrustmaster T300 as well, the one with the GTE rim.

Also, those video settings you suggested worked a treat, running much better now, so thanks for that. Will give R3E a good bash when I receive the pedals.

When is this update planned for R3E? Is sp and mp coming soon?

When is this update planned for R3E? Is sp and mp coming soon?

"A few more weeks" is what I read from one of the developers on Race Department a few days ago. I think their plans have been put back by all the upheaval at Simbin (job losses, studio moving to a new location, probable new name).

So hopefully we get the update some time in September. No word of single player or multiplayer but seeing as R3E has been out for nearly two years, these things have to be a priority. They can't expect a racing sim to survive on hot-lapping alone for all that time.

YouTube - R3E - WIP | Single Player Race | ADAC GT Masters 2013 @ Nürburgring

Preview of the upcoming Single Player Mode and the ADAC GT Masters 2013 Pack soon available on: http://game.raceroom.com/

Next update will also include:
Multiplayer (Alpha)
New Steering Wheel Force Feedback
Updated track surfaces for better Feedback
I'm up for buying this pack if the sp is there. Hopefully not too far away.

Think there's an update for AC tomorrow as well, so I'll give that a go over the weekend. Be interesting once they have integrated FMOD for new sounds.

Last edited:
I'll be buying the ADAC GT update day one. I've always wanted a proper GT3 series with all the cars and tracks and R3E is the only sim offering this.

If you want to add funds to your Raceroom account then do the Russian ruble thing I mentioned earlier. It gets you a decent saving over GBP.

The R3E update has been delayed until tomorrow I see.

Received my CSR pedals. Really liking them and it's been good to get the G25 out again. Looking forward to this R3E update now, think I'll buy the ADAC pack and a few tracks. I'll use that method you mentioned, Jamezinho, to add funds. Cheers.

too bad that name has died now. i've been there when they were born (very first f1 2001? 2002? mods), and now it is gone.

yeah, that's the good bit. and although i am without a wheel at the moment i can say i thoroughly enjoyed the time i spent with r3e.

:RANT: Downloaded but can't play for another hour or so.

ADAC GT Masters will be mine.

@ OPM......R3E is in a really good place right now. While everyone focuses on Assetto Corsa and Project CARS, this game could come from nowhere and really surprise a few people.

Raceroom Racing Experience change log:

What’s New (Summary):

· New RRE menus and overlays.

· Single Race in R3E.

· Multiplayer Alpha for R3E.

· Pack system in store.

· Dynamic discount system.

· New Force Feedback

· New Road bumps in listed tracks below.

· AI difficulty can now be selected (R3E only for the moment)

· New skyboxes.

New Content:

New Class in R3E - ADAC GT Masters 2013 Car Class

· Ford GT GT3

· Chevrolet Corvette Z06.R GT3

· Audi R8 LMS Ultra

· BMW Z4 GT3

· Chevrolet Camaro GT3

· Nissan GT-R GT3

· Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3

New Car in GTR3 Car Class

· Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3

New Tracks in R3E

· Nürburgring

· Motorsport Arena Oschersleben

· EuroSpeedway Lausitz

· Red Bull Ring Spielberg

New Liveries

· 18 new Free liveries for Aquila CR-1 Sports GT

· 20 new liveries for BMW M1 Procar

· 10 new liveries for Chevrolet Daytona Prototype

Game:

· Added a new force feedback settings tab in options with modified and added ffb settings.

· Optimized loading performance

· Changed car reflection option to have Low and High settings.

· We now automatically center the window on screen in windowed mode.

· Changed default value for cockpit head movement from 0.5 to 0.1

· Added option to change AI difficulty in R3E.

· Added Single Race in R3E.

· Added Multiplayer Alpha in R3E.

Rendering:

· Optimized reflections in rendering.

· Optimized rendering.

Multiplayer:

· Fixed an issue where the player count wasn’t updating until player had actually joined the track which was resulting in wrong player numbers in the browser.

· Fixed an issue when a player comes from a session without damage and starts a new session in another game mode with damage, damage was off.

· Fixed incorrect wheels RPM for remote cars.

· Improved precision for wheels RPM for remote cars.

· Fixed off-by-one error when rendering remote cars.

· Added smoothing to velocity and rotation of remote cars for better collisions.

· Fixed an issue where the player would get a replay without thumbnail after exiting a MP game during practice.

Art:

· Updated skyboxes.

· Updated Oschersleben with new road shader, optimizations for performance and ffb.

· Updated Zandvoort with new road shader, optimizations for performance and ffb.

· Updated Lausitzring with new road shader, optimizations for performance and ffb.

· Updated Hockenheim with new road shader, optimizations for performance and ffb.

· Updated Red Bull Ring with new road shader, optimizations for performance and ffb.

· Updated Lausitzring with new road shader, optimizations for performance and ffb.

· Updated Portimao with new road shader, optimizations for performance.

· Fixed a flashing building issue in Mid Ohio.

· Updated RaceRoom Raceway with optimizations for ffb.

Camera & Physics & Force Feedback:

· Updated default profiles to the new FFB improvements. Note: Your old custom profiles will be renamed and backed up when you launch the game after the update. These profiles should not be used due to the new FFB changes.

· Added Thrustmaster T300RS Racing Wheel default profile.

· Added Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel default profile.

· Modified grip on grass.

· Decreased opponent car volume for all GT3 cars.

· Fixed Brands Hatch Turn 2 camera.

Audio

· BMW 635 CSi - Adjusted external sounds.

· Fixed naming issues with DTM pitstop samples.

· Improved BMW GT3 Z4 external sounds.

· Updated GT3 car backfire sounds.

Portal:

· Added pack support. Store can now have content packs.

· Added dynamic discount functionality that gives additional discount on overlapping or owned content.

Wheel settings after update:

For now, as a general advice i´d tell you to:
set your wheel to 900 degrees, and use a steering lock between 30 and 35*
disable damper and springs in your drivers!
*540 degrees with steering lock 23 (or similar) works as well of course.

If you are driving a RWD car, than you might want to lower the lateral forces in the ffb menu a bit, and increase steering force + vertical load instead.
Once you will get to drive the FWD cars you will see though, why the default profiles have some lateral forces in there.

If you are not bothered by your wheel making a bit of noise (Logitech wheels in particular) then go ahead and set the smoothing to 0.

If you want to increase the feeling for oversteer etc. increase the steering force.
If you want to get more feedback from the road surface increase vertical load.

Hey guys, I just started playing GTR 2 last week and I am very impressed with it, the last driving game I played was GT5 which as you probably know is not really a sim when compared to GTR 2.
As GTR 2 is quite old I was wondering how the newer games compare, have the physics moved on much? I was thinking that at a certain point the driving models would hit a wall and its more about how the information is feed back to you through your wheel, is this the case?

Back
Top Bottom