Owen To Newcastle! Good or Bad??

Owen at Newcastle, what do you think?

• Good

Votes: 51 81.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really surprised Arsenal didnt snap up a striker this summer. Owen would have been so perfect.

For those saying that most players regret going to Real Madrid... well, it's as true for Real as it is for Man Utd., AC Milan, Inter, Barcelona, Bayern.

The greatest teams ussually have the greatest players. Owen did a great job in Madrid, and both the people and the managers liked him. However, it is very hard to play every single match from start (remember Owen finished last season playing from start at Real, at least for the last 8-10 games), and it is especially hard to be the #1 forward of Real. They just have Ronaldo (who's the best striker in the world, IMO - 25+ goals every season just in La Liga), Raúl, Robinho...

As it happened with Tomasson or Inzaghi at Milan, Recoba at Inter, Quaresma or Saviola at Barcelona... some great players just don't have a place between the starting 11. Should Owen have stayed at Madrid, he'd probably have played around 15+ games from start, but would have not even played for another 10+ at least. There are just so many good players at Real that he would have lost his England place. He just could not risk not going to the WC.

Newcastle United have a very nice team, if they manage to sign a nice CB they might outperform themselves and end up #4 or #5. However, I can see Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs above them. Let's hope Souness is out soon.

He'll be gone after a year. 16m shows how desperate Souness is to please the fans and unbelievably it worked. Just goes to show how much they've won lately though, doesn't it?

He'll be gone next Summer.

I thought Nobby blew hot and cold on his last stay at Newcastle, though with Owen in attack they should get a few more goals....but that defence? Shocking....

newcastle are now one of a few clubs who can challenge for 4th spot.

there is chelsea who because of the money scenario are on a different plane, then arsenal & man u then a big gap then it could be for me either liverpool, newcastle or spurs who get 4th place

I'm sick and tired of people saying Newcastle is a big club! - I was so tempted to whack my mate who kept saying that Owen was gonna have a bright future with a Premiership giant...eh?!

When was the last time they won anything? Have they even done anything in Europe? I may be wrong, but the only thing I remember Newcastle for is them signing Shearer and giving up a huge premiership lead to Man U. Other than that, they have a big stadium - but so has Sunderland(!).

Owen made a bad move if he's looking to win things and play in europe. Liverpool columnist Paul Tomkins got it spot on when he noted that Newcastle only ever manage to gather up "Trophy Players" but never trophies - and I don't see that changing with a team who insists that Titus Bramble is any good! :roll:

Last edited:
Owen's a great signing.....actually..all the newcastle signing have been good...However I cant help but feel Newcastle have done a 'Peter Ridsdale' and tried to buy the dream.....with the excessive amounts Newcastle have spent, they MUST qualify for the CL every season or they'll do a Leeds United!!

I decided that American "soccer" fans must be the coolest people in America, when I heard about the piss-taking banner some DC United fans unveiled when they played Newcastle in a friendly a few years ago:

WELCOME NEWCASTLE UNITED
TEXACO CUP WINNERS 1975

Sums it all up, really.

ooh_harry said:
Owen's a great signing.....actually..all the newcastle signing have been good...However I cant help but feel Newcastle have done a 'Peter Ridsdale' and tried to buy the dream.....with the excessive amounts Newcastle have spent, they MUST qualify for the CL every season or they'll do a Leeds United!!

excessive amounts ???

17 million is all we have spent i would hardly call that excessive and we spent next to nothing the two summers before that so the money has always been there.

Back
Top Bottom