Owen at Newcastle, what do you think?

• Good

Votes: 51 81.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sabac Red said:
Basically it came down to this, none of the top three wanted him, Benitez didn't fancy him either, Liverpool could not match Newcastle's bid.

It was his only choice I seriously doubt he'll come back to Liverpool anytime soon.(maybe when he's like 33+)

Newcastle have a good team but a real shit manager plus no proper CB partner for Boumsong. Like I said with Luque it could still be two seasons without european football.

No proper cb apart from Boumsong? havent u seen Taylor play? This guy's a quality centre back who sometimes even outshines boumsong.

Owen without doubt will improve newcastle but their defence is a let down and will cost newcastle and it isnt like souness has them playing great football either. 10th place i can see newcastle finishing at best!

it's good for owen and newcastle. nufc need a goal scorer and owen wants to play football, so it's a perfect move. \\:o/ Anyway nufc have got him on a 4 year deal, not 1! :mrgreen:

Yeah, he won't be staying.

Remember what a "lethal" strike partnership Shearer and Owen made for England, ha. It's already been proven that those two don't play together well, because although they're different kinds of striker they're both just goalscorers and don't do much else. OK Shearer wins headers and holds the ball up, Owen drags defenders out of position, but really neither of them notch up many assists - I think Owen's assists total for his whole career comes to something like 14. Shearer is only at his best when he's playing off an unselfish second striker, slower and more skilful, who'll lay it off for him (eg Sutton, Sheringham), and Owen is only at his best when playing in front of an attacking midfield that has most of the possession and presses down on the opposition box to slip little balls through for him to run on to (we saw how lousy he was playing on his own up front in Houllier's long-ball Liverpool).

You take a straight 4-4-2, and put Shearer and Owen as the two front men, you're on a hiding to nothing. The only reason England managers did it was because they couldn't find any *English* strikers of similar quality (apart from Andy Cole, who was always overlooked). But it never worked. And if you're managing a club side, teaming up those two, when it's already been shown not to work (even when they had Beckham supplying chipped through balls for Micky and sweeping crosses for Alan) is insanity.

Pere Ubu said:

Remember what a "lethal" strike partnership Shearer and Owen made for England, ha. It's already been proven that those two don't play together well, .

True, but ripping off exactly what Mark Lawrenson said in his column, Shearer has been playing more deeper lately - a trait that will hugely compliment a poacher like Owen. Only time will tell I guess...

But the problem ain't the team IMO. Freddie Shepherd's Newcastle is chaotic......managers and players coming and going like no tomorrow, team discipline, dodgy defence, boardroom etc...

Its been the notorious lack of stability has been hindering Newcastle's progress over the last few years and unless things change, I can't see how Owen will help them.

Pere Ubu said:

Remember what a "lethal" strike partnership Shearer and Owen made for England, ha. It's already been proven that those two don't play together well, because although they're different kinds of striker they're both just goalscorers and don't do much else. OK Shearer wins headers and holds the ball up, Owen drags defenders out of position, but really neither of them notch up many assists - I think Owen's assists total for his whole career comes to something like 14. Shearer is only at his best when he's playing off an unselfish second striker, slower and more skilful, who'll lay it off for him (eg Sutton, Sheringham), and Owen is only at his best when playing in front of an attacking midfield that has most of the possession and presses down on the opposition box to slip little balls through for him to run on to (we saw how lousy he was playing on his own up front in Houllier's long-ball Liverpool).

You take a straight 4-4-2, and put Shearer and Owen as the two front men, you're on a hiding to nothing. The only reason England managers did it was because they couldn't find any *English* strikers of similar quality (apart from Andy Cole, who was always overlooked). But it never worked. And if you're managing a club side, teaming up those two, when it's already been shown not to work (even when they had Beckham supplying chipped through balls for Micky and sweeping crosses for Alan) is insanity.

You make a very good point. Even so shearer is getting on aswell he is not as sharp and instinctive as he once was. Owen is not gonna make tactics that are flawed work neither is he going to save goals for the team when the defense is lacking.

This is something that will have to be seen. We cant just assume Owen wont do well. The people here saying that are the ones that dont WANT him to do well.

RuneEdge said:
This is something that will have to be seen. We cant just assume Owen wont do well. The people here saying that are the ones that dont WANT him to do well.

Im happy for owen to do well and think he will do but he is not going to save newcastle from crap season, as i said 10th place best for newcaste.lol mark my words.

TBH, I couldnt care less for Newcastle but I just cant imagine them doing bad after the signings they've made.

They just spent nearly £30million on 2 decent strikers in the space of about 2 weeks. Plus guys like Emre and Parker seem to be pretty good signings too.
Plus the handful of good players they already have, they can do well in the Premiership.

Last edited:
RuneEdge said:
TBH, I couldnt care less for Newcastle but I just cant imagine them doing bad after the signings they've made.

They just spent nearly £30million on 2 decent strikers in the space of about 2 weeks. Plus guys like Emre and Parker seem to be pretty good signings too.
Plus the handful of good players they already have, they can do well in the Premiership.

Agreed they have quality midfield talent and three good strikers, some may argue four. But if you got bad defense like newcastle have im afraid you are not going to get far and as i said souness tactics are not the best.

For me, it depends...

He wasn't crazy for Liverpool? Why did he signed for Newcastle? What would think Liverpool supporters and Michael Owen fans at the same time, see their idol playing in another English club of the same division?

For me, it makes confusion now what they would think...

SPiTFiRE[NN] said:
For me, it depends...

He wasn't crazy for Liverpool? Why did he signed for Newcastle? What would think Liverpool supporters and Michael Owen fans at the same time, see their idol playing in another English club of the same division?

For me, it makes confusion now what they would think...
Liverpool didnt have the money for Owen. People seem to be overlooking this.

_40747662_owegemma_pa.jpg

Goodbye Future!

I believe he will be an excellent addition to the squad and add to the numerous quality players newcastle have because newcastle are a sleeping giant i believe. they jus need a lil luck n maybe better management

Whats not right? Yeah well Benitez still couldv held the Crouch trasnfer till the end of the month, hes injured anyway :roll:

As said earlier, obviously good for newcastle, but a big step down for Michael Owen.

Look at it this way. Does anyone see newcastle as top 3 candidates this season? I don't think so. So they are going to having to slug it out for 4th place with some very good candidates like liverpool (who COULD finish higher than 4th), spurs and boro.

And what happens if Newcastle don't get into Europe next season either? I'm pretty sure that no one really believes that Owen will stick out his 4 year contract with them.

Back
Top Bottom