1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

Owen To Newcastle! Good or Bad??

Discussion in 'Football' started by Dead Man, 30 August 2005.

Owen at Newcastle, what do you think?

Poll closed 1 September 2005.
  1. Good

51 vote(s)
    81.0%
  2. Bad

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Dead Man

Dead Man Guest

Well they have persuaded him, so is it a Good move or a Bad move?

2. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Turn around, I'm right behind you...
    Manchester United
    IMO, Newcastle are gonna be a much better team with Owen than without. Just look at their squad right now. Theres a lot of quality in there.

I'm happy we beat Newcastle before Owen came along. The good news is that now teams like Arsenal and Chelsea still have to go to St James Park.

3. -dragonskin-

-dragonskin- Rawr!

5 March 2005
    Here
    Newcastle
    Good for Newcastle :lol:
    He'll be a god in Newcastle and fire us into Europe hopefully.

4. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    You just didnt believe me did you?

5. FlawlessCowboy

FlawlessCowboy Stunted

5 July 2004
    Coventry, UK
    Good for Newcastle, a bit stupid of Owen. It's a step backwards in his football career

6. Dead Man

Dead Man Guest

Need some pace up front but Man U should of got him and i am gutted.

7. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    He apparently has a get out clause that can help him escape easily so really he's just using Newcastle for one season while Liverpool gather some money and then maybe next season he will go back to Anfield.

8. crayon

crayon Yamato Gaijin

23 October 2004
    Hokkaido Japan
    Liverpool FC
    Flawl3ss Cowboy, you're spot on.

9. -dragonskin-

-dragonskin- Rawr!

5 March 2005
    Here
    Newcastle
    As we've been linked with so many other players this summer like Anelka, Boa Morte, Govou, Keane and more, I thought Owen was just going to be another name to add to the list. ;)

10. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    He only had 2 choices. Liverpool or Newcastle. Liverpool sold him for £8million and Madrid now wanted £18million for him. And apparently, Real Madrid have only paid half of the £8million they owed Liverpool in the first place. So what were the chances of Liverpool meeting Madrids demands considering Newcastle are willing to pay the asking price?

11. Nickybaker

Nickybaker You want SEVEN?

15 October 2003
    Essex
    The one and only Arsenal
    Good as it means when he plays for England he will thrive on playing with quality players rather than the shit at Newcastle ;)

12. poll should be good or sad.

13. phrase

phrase Tactician

12 December 2002
    Little Mancunia
    Going back to Liverpool will somehow make him feel as if hes failed in his stint abroad.I think hes made the right choice in joining Newcastle and he can only get better by playin with Shearer,plus he'll get back his favourite number 10 shirt!

14. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Correcto.

15. Mack

Mack Champions League

8 August 2003
    Manchester
    MCFC
    Good for Newcastle bad for him!

16. CW

CW C Dub Founding Member

6 October 2001
    Liverpool
    My sentiments exactly

Maybe they have some compromising pictures of him and he couldnt say no

17. Ch00ng

Ch00ng | | CHAMP19NS | |

4 August 2005
    M16 0RA
    Man Utd & England
    Wrong move for Owen, should of went to a better team (e.g Man Utd, Liverpool..etc) which he deserves, but i guess his #1 priority now is 1st team football, so that he can go to the world cup finals..

18. rockykabir

rockykabir hello

30 March 2003
    London -> New York -> San Francisco
    Liverpool FC
    Assuming its all set to go:
    Good for Newcastle.
    Good for his England career (as he'll get regular games).
    A huge step back for his career - I can't see how he'll improve his game under Souness. Well its his fault anyway for stalling his contract talks with us in the first place.

19. rockykabir

rockykabir hello

30 March 2003
    London -> New York -> San Francisco
    Liverpool FC
    If this is true then maybe its not a bad move for him. If he can advertise himself well this year, then maybe he'll make a move elsewhere. I can't see how Newcastle will agree to this without a huge buy-out clause though.

20. Sulph

Sulph Goodbye...

28 September 2003
    Good, now he can start every game.

21. kingpug

kingpug Guest

Well it was either Newcastle or the bench, if even the bench at Madrid, plus I would'nt exactly say Newcastle were a shit team, all they need is a good striker, they now have 2 so it is time for them to score!!

22. cartman

cartman League 2

4 July 2004
    good move all round

given the choices he had

player for player we are about on a par with liverpool if everyone is fit and on form.

Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal are way above this level and now it will be a fight for 4th spot between newcastle,liverpool and spurs i think.

Yes newcastle only have 1 point but they have man utd and arsenal already played and a tricky away game with bolton out the way. Now they need a good run to get confidence going and i can see them climbing the table rapidly.

remember a few seasons ago with bobby we were bottom after 8 games and still ended up 4th!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: 30 August 2005
  23. supurb signing for us

Owen,Shearer,Luque with the likes of Jenas,Parker,Emre and Dyer. its looking gd ;)

24. gerd

gerd Retired Footballer

8 January 2002
    Over the moon
    KRC Genk, Spurs
    Very good for Owen (WC 2006)
    Very good for England.
    Very good for Newcastle.

And especially good for football...it is not a positive thing that a class player like Owen must sit on the bench...
    What Madrid are doing with their galactico's is bad for football (but off-topic).

25. Baggs

Baggs The Boss

15 October 2002
    Malta
    Do I detect a bit of jealousy there wrighty? ;)

26. Sulph

Sulph Goodbye...

28 September 2003
    The next shearer :roll:

27. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    I dont understand why people are being so negative. Newcastle are the only team thats willing to pay the price. He would have definately chosen another team if they too were willing to pay.

28. JayM

JayM International

17 April 2004
    North Yorkshire
    Celtic
    He won't make much difference to Newcastle, nothing can with that manager making the decisions.

He might just save them from relegation.

Owen has tooken a huge step down.

29. Sabac Red

Sabac Red Premiership

22 November 2002
    Basically it came down to this, none of the top three wanted him, Benitez didn't fancy him either, Liverpool could not match Newcastle's bid.

It was his only choice I seriously doubt he'll come back to Liverpool anytime soon.(maybe when he's like 33+)

Newcastle have a good team but a real shit manager plus no proper CB partner for Boumsong. Like I said with Luque it could still be two seasons without european football.

30. crayon

crayon Yamato Gaijin

23 October 2004
    Hokkaido Japan
    Liverpool FC
    No good having great strikers with a giant hole in defence.