Overated Players

SKILLZ 98

Fifa Bang out !
12 January 2013
Manchester United
What players do you think are overated an why?
IMO i think that Neymar is overated. He plays in Brazil where he is comfortable but if you watched the game against England he struggled. But i still think he will become a great player in the future but right now he aint even close to a player like Ronaldo or even Hazard but people seem to think that just because he is skillfull automatically makes him world class.
Anyway what players do you guys think are overated.

Neymar, definitely. Nothing to do with the England game, simply because he plays in a crappy league. Nowhere near deserves the 50m price tag. Plenty of supposed Brazilian superstars have failed outside of Brazil.

Talk of City meeting with him but I think it'd be a major mistake for all parties concerned (his current club aside). He'd find it easier in LL

Such is football, anyone who has a good game gets overrated. Likewise, anyone who has a poor game gets underrated.

Neymar isn't overrated, I watch him every week and he's really impressive not just because of his ball skill but also because of his eye on goal: he's slowly developing into a Romarío type of player, a drop back striker who can build up some plays, with an amazing scoring flair, yes he's inconsistent a bit but he's got the time to fix that. He's just not ready physically to play in Europe, he should move to Portugal first, get to know the European lifestyle while still keeping in touch with his Brazilian roots, until he's actually ready to move to bigger things like so many big players did before him. I think peoples tend to focus more on the player's behavior outside of the pitch than what's actually happening in it (I know it's mostly due to the medias but still...), if you want stats, the kid's stats speak for themselves: "a 20 YO with a 200 goals already" Isn't really your typical footballer, i also like to think that's he's more intelligent than most peoples think he is, the kid is building an empire, a brand....something that you should definitely think about.

Neymar, definitely. Nothing to do with the England game, simply because he plays in a crappy league. Nowhere near deserves the 50m price tag. Plenty of supposed Brazilian superstars have failed outside of Brazil.

Talk of City meeting with him but I think it'd be a major mistake for all parties concerned (his current club aside). He'd find it easier in LL

Such is football, anyone who has a good game gets overrated. Likewise, anyone who has a poor game gets underrated.

Crappy league? Wow, I disagree

Let`s have some real fun in this thread and put out Managers.

What makes a great manager? will it be base on trophies? I have a huge respect for lower table boss way too many out there. The fact is a big Club could very well damage them. So, how good can one be at a lower middle table is based on staying mid-table? Way too many questions.

So guys lets scratch it! I`m getting depress just thinking about it. :COAT:

Pellegrini n Klopp are my favorite .

I'd go for Pellegrini too, loved each and everyone of his teams and he seem to always have that World-Class playmaker withing each of them.

I have a lot of respect for Martin O'Neill too, but i'd say my favorite is Ranieri, he's always been underrated and never had the time to build up his teams.

Edit: Forgot to mention Christian Gourcuff too, the guy is doing miracles with Lorient, love their football.

Last edited:
Let`s have some real fun in this thread and put out Managers.

What makes a great manager? will it be base on trophies? I have a huge respect for lower table boss way too many out there. The fact is a big Club could very well damage them. So, how good can one be at a lower middle table is based on staying mid-table? Way too many questions.

So guys lets scratch it! I`m getting depress just thinking about it. :COAT:

Pellegrini n Klopp are my favorite .

I'd go for Pellegrini too, loved each and everyone of his teams and he seem to always have that World-Class playmaker withing each of them.

I have a lot of respect for Martin O'Neill too, but i'd say my favorite is Ranieri, he's always been underrated and never had the time to build up his teams.

Bielsa, Pellegrini, and Tabarez are ones that stick out to me. I coach college and club soccer (football...sorry to offend) in the States and I try to base my tactical ideas after them. Pep, too, I suppose, but he's too in-vogue over here right now. You ask any coach (at least American) coaches who they try to model their game after and they say him.

Hey guys if you want to discuss about managers, make a seperate thread. And also explain WHY you think the players are overated please.

Why Joe Hart is overrated ?
Because people say he is a world class GK. He isn't.
With a half decent GK Manchester City would be still in the race for the title. He has had howler after howler this season.
He played one world match against Real Madrid.
This was a match against a better team where he saved his team. GK's like Al Habsi, Foster, Julio Cesar, Begovic, Mignolet (are they world class ? No they are plain good GK's) and dozens of others do this week after week and it goes unnoticed...I watch football for 45 years and in all this time England got exactly one world class GK: Gordon Banks. All the others were vastly overrated: Clemence, Shilton, Seaman and now Hart...

Compare Joe Hart to real world class keepers present and past and it becomes obvious: Casillas, Buffon, Neuer, Southall, Schmeichel, Dasaev, Zoff, Preudhomme,.... he is nowhere near.

Last edited:
Joe Hart is better than Schmeichel.

225px-Schmeichel_vs_Chelsea.jpg

why Balotelli is overrated ?

1 - statistics : he's a striker and his number of goals and assists is too poor .
2 - by watching him : I don't see anything special . media and people consider it as a superstar, his financial value is high : that's why he's overrated.

why Balotelli is overrated ?

1 - statistics : he's a striker and his number of goals and assists is too poor .
2 - by watching him : I don't see anything special . media and people consider it as a superstar, his financial value is high : that's why he's overrated.
I would say over hyped not over rated, because he can actually be a really good player if only HE wants to.

About Taarabt, simply because the guy tries to nutmeg whatever it's on the field, what leads to a lot of lost balls that often results into a goal.
Also, he thinks he's a way better player than he really is, talking about Barcelona and Real would fit him, and that Galliani asked him much times but he refused, I call this bullshit.
P.S : my judgement isn't objective at all as I'm Moroccan and he refused to join the NT in this CAN, but still I just said what I personally see, however he's still quite a good player "footbally" speaking.

Last edited:
Not a big fan of Balotelli, considering he bums himself up so much.

Walcott - £100k a week for a guy that runs fast.

I don't believe Bale is anywhere near the likes of Ronaldo and Messi, actually probably not in the top 10 players in the world, maybe even 20.

He is a good player though, but if your going to say he's the best 3 players in the world then I'd say no.

FD

The biggest overated player in history is Beckham imo

Maybe, but body and hair wise he was never overrated. When he did those boxer short adverts it was just amazing seeing him in his prime, the perfect specimen of man and the hair.....the hair! the Jennifer Aniston of the Footballing world.

Freddy Adu, much Adu about nothing...

He divides opinion here in the States, but I think he's a good player. Every times he has played for the national team, both at youth and senior levels, he's been great. I would actually love to see Klinsmann bring him in for the qualifiers. He's the closest thing we have to a playmaker in this country.

Back
Top Bottom