Nintendo Switch

Lami

Niche Football
28 May 2007
Sydney
Man Utd, Juve
UJyaEvR9sqg00_dZoLE4Y3KitI8AShqa.jpg

Nintendo Switch world premier demonstrates new entertainment experiences from a home gaming system

In an introductory video released today (http://www.nintendo.com/switch), Nintendo provided the first glimpse of its new home gaming system and revealed that it is called Nintendo Switch. In addition to providing single and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles.

At home, Nintendo Switch rests in the Nintendo Switch Dock that connects the system to the TV and lets you play with family and friends in the comfort of your living room. By simply lifting Nintendo Switch from the dock, the system will instantly transition to portable mode, and the same great gaming experience that was being enjoyed at home now travels with you. The portability of Nintendo Switch is enhanced by its bright high-definition display. It brings the full home gaming system experience with you to the park, on an airplane, in a car, or to a friend’s apartment.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

“Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America. “It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries.”

Developers can design their games supporting a variety of play styles, which gives gamers the freedom to choose an experience that best suits them. Some of the publishers, developers and middleware partners announcing support for Nintendo Switch are as follows:

• 505 Games

• Activision Publishing, Inc.

• ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.

• ATLUS CO., LTD.

• Audiokinetic Inc.

• Autodesk, Inc.

• BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.

• Bethesda

• CAPCOM CO., LTD.

• Codemasters®

• CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.

• DeNA Co., Ltd.

• Electronic Arts

• Epic Games Inc.

• Firelight Technologies

• FromSoftware, Inc.

• Frozenbyte

• GameTrust

• GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.

• Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.

• HAMSTER Corporation

• Havok

• INTI CREATES CO., LTD.

• KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.

• Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.

• LEVEL-5 Inc.

• Marvelous Inc.

• Maximum Games, LLC

• Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.

• Parity Bit Inc.

• PlatinumGames Inc.

• RAD Game Tools, Inc.

• RecoChoku Co., Ltd.

• SEGA Games Co., Ltd.

• Silicon Studio Corporation

• Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.

• SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.

• Starbreeze Studios

• Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.

• Telltale Games

• THQ Nordic

• Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.

• TT Games

• UBISOFT

• Ubitus Inc.

• Unity Technologies, Inc.

• Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

• Web Technology Corp

Today’s video incorporated short glimpses of representative gameplay to demonstrate the liberating nature of the Nintendo Switch home gaming system. Full game demonstrations, the list of launch window titles, as well as launch date, price, product configuration and related specifics, will be shown and announced prior to the March launch.

Nintendo

NVIDIA Technology Powers New Home Gaming System, Nintendo Switch

The first thing to know about the new Nintendo Switch home gaming system: it’s really fun to play. With great graphics, loads of game titles and incredible performance, the Nintendo Switch will provide people with many hours of engaging and interactive gaming entertainment.

But creating a device so fun required some serious engineering. The development encompassed 500 man-years of effort across every facet of creating a new gaming platform: algorithms, computer architecture, system design, system software, APIs, game engines and peripherals. They all had to be rethought and redesigned for Nintendo to deliver the best experience for gamers, whether they’re in the living room or on the move.

A Console Architecture for the Living Room and Beyond
Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.

The Nintendo Switch’s gaming experience is also supported by fully custom software, including a revamped physics engine, new libraries, advanced game tools and libraries. NVIDIA additionally created new gaming APIs to fully harness this performance. The newest API, NVN, was built specifically to bring lightweight, fast gaming to the masses.

Gameplay is further enhanced by hardware-accelerated video playback and custom software for audio effects and rendering.

We’ve optimized the full suite of hardware and software for gaming and mobile use cases. This includes custom operating system integration with the GPU to increase both performance and efficiency.

NVIDIA gaming technology is integrated into all aspects of the new Nintendo Switch home gaming system, which promises to deliver a great experience to gamers.

Nvidia

Last edited:
Good if its a portable system. Nintendo have lost the race in mainstream consoles since 2006 starting with Wii. Always 1 step behind in graphics and it matters.

But they did dominated handheld system with 3ds then. I would pick 3ds over Ps Vita.

Oh, is this one 3d too? 3ds was great because of 3d.

Price point is key. Never picking on up unless it's under £200, and even then, battery life, true support from the big 3rd Parties, game price, on board storage, and no robust will the screen actually be.

Absolutely not interested (but I'm not their audience) - I've had three or four handhelds over the last few years and they just never get used, so to sacrifice processing power etc. for the sake of it being portable puts me off straight away.

It just doesn't compare, as a home console, to the PlayStation or the Xbox, and it'd only be Mario Kart I'd be interested in - which is the only reason I bought a Wii U and I've literally used it for nothing else (other than a few goes of Mario Party and Splatoon).

Cross-platform games - would you rather have them on a PS4 with the extra graphical grunt, or on this (yeah you could take your game/save with you, but unless you're someone who's going on holiday every weekend, is it really preferable to a better-looking and/or smoother experience)?

I find the imagery of taking it over to a friend's house to play it there a bit weird - I'm assuming you need the docking station to display it on a TV, and without that, are you really going to be happy playing it on a tiny farting little screen?

But like I say, I'm 100% not their audience. I don't know what it'd take for Nintendo to make something I was interested in while their target audience is "people who don't already own a games console because they're not sure if they're enough of a gamer to get one, but they'll buy ours for some reason".

I like this!! I always loved the concept of being able to play a game and continue it on the road...PS' concept is good but depends on really good internet...

If the price isn't too bad and the games that will come for it are good, then I think this is do-able...

I'm a solid Playstation fan-man to the point of ridicule, but there is something about this... even with my complete lack of Nintendo gaming apart from Game & watch in the 80's, I've always wanted to get in a bit... With a reasonable price and some backwards catalog access, I think I'll get this.

Judging by the fact this is using Nvidia technology it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this is more than capable of producing PS4 visuals or even improving on them.

The price is key though, I reckon if it is more than £200 - £250 price point then it just won't appeal to normal folk and the only people buying it will be Nintendo fan boys.

You have to think about the battery life though...if it does produce the PS4 or "next-gen" style graphics, it'll eat up the battery life and make the portable side of the switch useless...

I won't mind if there's some upscaling when it docks and lesser graphics when portable...

The controllers are £75 when you buy the two necessary halves together, too. You get one in the box, but if you have kids, for example - or just friends for fucks sake - you're looking at paying over 25% of the worth of the console pack, for an extra controller. ONE extra controller.

I had no interest before if I'm honest, but at £200 for the console I'd have been a lot more tempted (maybe without the tablet, which I thought the Wii U proved to be a terrible idea - what with not being able to look at two screens at the same time - but that also has a minimum battery life of 2½ hours for God's sake, what is the point of it).

A lot of people love Nintendo, and I get it, but I really dislike them. They were my first gaming love, and I want to love them again, but the Wii U was the beginning of the end. They appealed to everyone with the Wii, and enjoyed the success of it, but then decided to throw all their eggs into the I-don't-really-play-games basket because of the returns they made.

I mean, the new controllers can detect motions you make with your hands - they give rock, paper, scissors as an example. What are you guys doing? I can see it now, an eSports league dedicated to Rock, Paper, Scissors... What the actual fuck.

Last edited:
I've been pretty much unsold on the Switch by what they put out today. But I'm still going to watch Giant Bombs stream in it tonight at 7 (if you go to giantbomb.com you can see when it will start in your timezone).

Eurogamer.net said:
The Switch has just five games available when it launches on 3rd March, Nintendo confirmed. These are:
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (also on Wii U)
  • 1-2 Switch
  • Super Bomberman R
  • Skylanders Imaginators
  • Just Dance 2017
Another three games come out in March:
  • SnipperClippers
  • Fast RMX
  • Has-Been Heroes
On 28th April:
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (port from the Wii U)
Pegged for spring 2017 are:
  • Arms
  • Disgaea 5 Complete
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris
  • Rime

The only game anyone will actually buy...

Eurogamer.net said:
Holiday 2017 gets:
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Wow.

Full article: Eurogamer.net - Nintendo confirms Switch launch lineup of games

Last edited:
I really fear for this console... it's sold out in some places, but not nearly all of them, Many Nintendo fanatics will buy one but this thing needed to bring in a bigger audience. Even with Zelda scoring perfect 10s all over the place, it's also available on the Wii U.

I've got it on release and returned it the next day. It's an awesome tablet, but that's it. The docked part isn't impressive but it looks like Nintendo are discreetly getting rid of their dedicated home consoles with this Tablet in console clothing. I would've kept it but the joycons kept desyncing and Link (Zelda) would just go doing his own thing. My other issue was when my joyxons ran out of battery, the only way I could continue playing was putting them on the tablet and play portable mode, which I don't really want to do. If they had the charging grip included with the console it would've made look more like a console. The included grip is useless. At least with the charging grip I could connect it with a usb and continue playing. I was about to buy the pro controller but I came to my senses and said this would add another $100 to an already expensive device that doesn't do much ATM. Add to that Zelda's performance when docked and I wasn't happy. I'd rather have that performance on the Wii u.

And that's that. I'll be waiting until Mario odyssey is out hoping we'll have a better revision console then with all the issues ironed out plus the eshop not looking so empty and bland and with vc available.

It just feels like a beta release now.

I've got it on release and returned it the next day. It's an awesome tablet, but that's it. The docked part isn't impressive but it looks like Nintendo are discreetly getting rid of their dedicated home consoles with this Tablet in console clothing. I would've kept it but the joycons kept desyncing and Link (Zelda) would just go doing his own thing. My other issue was when my joyxons ran out of battery, the only way I could continue playing was putting them on the tablet and play portable mode, which I don't really want to do. If they had the charging grip included with the console it would've made look more like a console. The included grip is useless. At least with the charging grip I could connect it with a usb and continue playing. I was about to buy the pro controller but I came to my senses and said this would add another $100 to an already expensive device that doesn't do much ATM. Add to that Zelda's performance when docked and I wasn't happy. I'd rather have that performance on the Wii u.

And that's that. I'll be waiting until Mario odyssey is out hoping we'll have a better revision console then with all the issues ironed out plus the eshop not looking so empty and bland and with vc available.

It just feels like a beta release now.

Wait.... you had it ONE day and your Joycons ran out of batteries? Thats some feat - they last 21 hours!?

Its been a superb experience for me (got one launch day). Played so much of Zelda obviously, but got a nice little library of diverse games building up now :)

Zelda
Snipperclips
Just Dance
I Am Setsuna
Blaster Master 0
Fast RMX
Shock Troopers
Shovel Knight
Voez

So much for the 'lack of games'! I'm enjoying every one of those too which is rare for a launch in my experience. To have the versatility to pick it up and wander around the house (or out the house) and carry on playing is brilliant and I've not noticed any issues that too be fair people are reporting - but no joycon desyncs, no scratching and I really cant see the problem of the console mode.

We know its not got the power of the PS4/Xbo but what it does, it does perfectly fine. Yea Zelda drops frame rate time to time, but with all that is going on and the size of the world, its a tiny price to pay that is barely noticeable. People that give up on it for that reason are missing a masterpiece - this is coming from someone who hasnt been interested in any 3D Zeldas in the past.

Looking forward to the coming months now;

Mario Kart & Puyo Puyo on April 28th
Spla2oon soon
Disgaea & SF2 May 26th
ARMs coming soon

Plus the brilliant range of indies they have announced and whatever else they have up their silky sleeves yet to be announced, come xmas this thing is gonna be hot property...

This thing has reinvigorated my enjoyment in games. Been so tired of the rinse and repeat nature of my PS4 and XBONE.

There is just something fresh and enjoyable about this. Got bomberman, FAST RMX and Snipperclips. All of them are superb. Cant wait to see it expand and also the VC!

Wait.... you had it ONE day and your Joycons ran out of batteries? Thats some feat - they last 21 hours!?

Its been a superb experience for me (got one launch day). Played so much of Zelda obviously, but got a nice little library of diverse games building up now :)

Zelda
Snipperclips
Just Dance
I Am Setsuna
Blaster Master 0
Fast RMX
Shock Troopers
Shovel Knight
Voez

So much for the 'lack of games'! I'm enjoying every one of those too which is rare for a launch in my experience. To have the versatility to pick it up and wander around the house (or out the house) and carry on playing is brilliant and I've not noticed any issues that too be fair people are reporting - but no joycon desyncs, no scratching and I really cant see the problem of the console mode.

We know its not got the power of the PS4/Xbo but what it does, it does perfectly fine. Yea Zelda drops frame rate time to time, but with all that is going on and the size of the world, its a tiny price to pay that is barely noticeable. People that give up on it for that reason are missing a masterpiece - this is coming from someone who hasnt been interested in any 3D Zeldas in the past.

Looking forward to the coming months now;

Mario Kart & Puyo Puyo on April 28th
Spla2oon soon
Disgaea & SF2 May 26th
ARMs coming soon

Plus the brilliant range of indies they have announced and whatever else they have up their silky sleeves yet to be announced, come xmas this thing is gonna be hot property...

Yea I played the joycons right out the box so they weren't fully charged ;)

The joycons desyncing is a hardware issue that I'm positively hoping will be long gone in future releases.

Out of the games you listed, that's not a lineup I'm interested in apart from maybe Snipperclips to play with my daughter and I am Setsuna, which is available on the PS4 at 60fps (I always prefer 60fps versions of console games if available). Even though it's an awesome portable, I don't care much for the portable aspect so I'm not tempted to buy anything for portability sake.

I do have Zelda BOTW on the Wii U and I've clocked in 133+ hours so far and I'm hardly 30% done I think :D

And for the upcoming games you listed, I also don't care about any. I would've bought Mario Kart if I didn't have it on my Wii U already, but that's about it.

The only game I'm really looking forward to is Mario Odyssey, and that's coming around the holidays. So I'm hopeful I'll see a bundle then :)

I ended up being half-tempted by this but I've not finished The Witcher 3, let alone that new sci-fi RPG everyone's raving about, so I bought a Surface Pro instead. Can't help but feel it was the right decision. No hardware issues (Switch reminds me of the Xbox 360 RROD in how inevitable they seem to be), huge pool of games.

I'm not being told by Nintendo that the reason the left joycon is constantly disconnecting is because I have too many "fishtanks" in my living room (seriously, check out their official statements) or that it has to be housed several feet away from my other consoles, how is that acceptable? Same with their dead pixel policy.

Even the joycons are uncomfortable if you're an adult, and I'm not being forced into buying a "pro" controller. I don't live in a world where any of those launch titles appeal to me in the slightest, other than Zelda (and even that I'm only interested in due to the overwhelming reviews).

Even when I think to myself "well, I'll sell the Wii U and get one later in the year" - why would I sell something with a decent set of games and backwards-compatibility, and swap it for something where the only redeeming feature is that you can take the tablet out of the house (for a couple of hours)?

All just my opinions, but yeah, as Lami said. If Mario Odyssey gets the same reviews as Zelda and there's a big price drop (or fixed hardware), then maybe I'll see you at Christmas...

I ended up being half-tempted by this but I've not finished The Witcher 3, let alone that new sci-fi RPG everyone's raving about, so I bought a Surface Pro instead. Can't help but feel it was the right decision. No hardware issues (Switch reminds me of the Xbox 360 RROD in how inevitable they seem to be), huge pool of games.

I'm not being told by Nintendo that the reason the left joycon is constantly disconnecting is because I have too many "fishtanks" in my living room (seriously, check out their official statements) or that it has to be housed several feet away from my other consoles, how is that acceptable? Same with their dead pixel policy.

Even the joycons are uncomfortable if you're an adult, and I'm not being forced into buying a "pro" controller. I don't live in a world where any of those launch titles appeal to me in the slightest, other than Zelda (and even that I'm only interested in due to the overwhelming reviews).

Even when I think to myself "well, I'll sell the Wii U and get one later in the year" - why would I sell something with a decent set of games and backwards-compatibility, and swap it for something where the only redeeming feature is that you can take the tablet out of the house (for a couple of hours)?

All just my opinions, but yeah, as Lami said. If Mario Odyssey gets the same reviews as Zelda and there's a big price drop (or fixed hardware), then maybe I'll see you at Christmas...

Cant help but feel you are just picking up and amplifying all the negatives.

As I've said, I'm in a lot of Switch groups/forums etc and the reports of problems are VERY few. To compare it to the RROD is nonsense really. RROD rendered the console completely dead, there is nothing like that with the Switch. A few people have an issue where the left joycon may temporarily disconnect - but its quite rare from what I've seen and certainly doesnt render the console unusable.

The 'fishtank' thing was one of a few reasons Nintendo gave that MAY cause issues - so again, you've exagerated that to prove a point.

You dont know the Joycons are uncomfortable 'as an adult'... in fact, a LOT of people have said that the joycons are more comfortable than they expected and use them all the time with absolutely no issue. I use them all the time - I had a pro controller and sold it... you dont need it (although it is a VERY nice controller it has to be said).

I've never liked Zelda games - but BoTW is genuinely most likely the best game I've ever played.

Doesnt need a price drop. If anything, its underpriced when you consider what it is. A high powered tablet that can play AAA games... AND dock to a TV... AND has 2 controllers out of the box...

I can definitely see a game/switch pack coming at slightly reduced prices, but I certainly dont expect price drops this year at least. Its sold out, its got high desirability and getting great reviews - why would they drop the price?

I've played it every day over anything on PS4 since March 3rd.

Initially I was not going to buy one as I felt that it was overpriced.

However after seeing the Zelda reviews and seeing the very positive reaction to the hardware from the few reviewers that I respect I got one at launch.

I have not been disappointed with my purchase. I still think that the price is £50 too much but this is a premium product. The size of it is perfect and it has changed the way I game. The ability to have a console quality experience on the go is brilliant. I use it at home, on the train, sitting at my desk at work. You can literally play anywhere. I thought that was just a gimmick but now I can see why Nintendo emphasized those aspects. I don't have a the pro controller so use the joycons and have not had any issue with them being too small etc.

There are issues of course and these need to be acknowledged. As I said earlier the price is £50 too much and that is not including all of the extras such as the pro controller, memory cards, portable chargers etc etc. It is also clear that Nintendo took some shortcuts. The screen is gorgeous but it was stupid that they went for a plastic screen, it should have been gorilla glass to stop the scratching issues. The battery life. It is not great. With Zelda you get 2 to 3 hours maximum (dependent on which area of the map you are on). Yes you can buy a portable charger but again it is a shortcut they took, they have marketed this is a portable device so the battery life should be better. No cloud saves or bit giving the user the ability to move their saves from one device to another is just plain stupid and needs addressing.

These are all small things that could have made the Switch even better and I am sure that in future iterations they will incorporate some of these.

I am very happy with my purchase. I am using it all of the time. It has changed the way I game and for me the portability is the killer feature. Zelda BOTW is one of the best games that I have ever played and I actually look forward to my train journey to/from work because I know that for the next hour I will be spending my time in that gameworld!

Back
Top Bottom