NHL 09 (360 / PS3)

Re: NHL 09 (Xbox 360 and PS3)

finally made the players look slimmer with the new jerseys.
be a pro sounds promising. cant wait for more info.

Here are some game info got from NHL 09 Comunity Event:

Cover boy:
Dion Phaneuf of the Calgary Flames is one of the hardest players to play against, and all of his hits have an impact. He’s the perfect choice for this year’s cover boy! He never gives up on himself and loves to give punishing checks on his opponents, just like every hardcore hockey gamer! The Washington Capital forward Alexander Ovechkin and Ottawa Senators’ right wing Daniel Alfredsson were also named cover boy respectively for their country, Russia and Sweden.

Physics Engine:
NHL 09 uses the smartest physics engine on the video gaming market. That is the Euphoria is a game animation engine created by NaturalMotion based on Dynamic Motion Synthesis, NaturalMotion's proprietary technology for animating 3D characters on-the-fly "based on a full simulation of the 3D character, including body, muscles and motor nervous system". Instead of using predefined animations, the characters' actions and reactions are synthesized in real-time; they are different every time, even when replaying the same scene. While traditional physics engines uses ragdolls (like the Havok Physics Engine) for animations generated on the fly, Euphoria employs a more complex method to animate the entirety of physically-bound objects within the game environment. Euphoria runs on the Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and PC platforms.

New Skill Stick:
With the New Skill Stick Legendary moments, you can show off your skills against the toughest opponents you will have to face. This year the new skill stick features one handed dekes as well to make the game more realistic. One of the greatest feature is the Punishing body check, which is a new system that looked great in development step of the game. EA Sports makes hockey that more exciting to play. Last but not least, the newest feature with the skill stick is the “watch out for your sticks” which, in other words, is stick lifting. This feature is great guys; you can lift your opponent's stick to get possession of the puck but if you miss, you get called for 2 minutes, 4 minutes and yes 5 minutes as well... but wait a second; did I say 4 minutes? Yes! It's now possible to get called in for 4 minutes for a High Stick! Do we see blood? Hmmm we all wish we did!

Collision System:
NHL 09 is coming out with its new collision system! It really makes the game feel like the real deal. If you are playing Chara and hit St-Louis, chances are high that St-Louis will fall down. If you are St-Louis, on the other hand well… good luck with that. The new collision has more depth then it used to; if you're going full speed, you will give a solid hit as if you were standing still.

Create a Play:
This feature was introduced last year and made a huge and direct impact as the game's key feature. This time around the producers have implanted offensive and defensive plays to make it an even more realistic experience.

Fighting system:
The Fighting mode has changed in 09 version, although this is all we know so far since we didn’t get the chance to play dirty enough. The producers did say that it was better, but it remains a Hockey game nonetheless. If you want to fight, go buy a Wrestling game! Circle your opponent, grab his jersey and settle a mid-game score.

Desperate Goaltenders:
Last year's innovation with the net minders was positive, although after a while we wanted to see more from them in different occasions. Now we'll see them move their heads to see the play when they are being screened. They will also make desperate saves when they aren't in position.

Game play:
Well the NHL 09 controls are pretty much the same as NHL 08, although they have implanted NHL ’94 controls for the people who are starting to play console Hockey games. This is a great way to get more people into the game with ease. NHL 08 was not the easiest game to play if you aren’t a big gamer. It was a genius idea on EA Sports' end to bring back these controls.

The Presentation:
Now I already said a lot of new features and this one came to us by surprise. When your team gets scored on, as the replay goes on you'll get feedback on the errors you just performed during the last play! This way, the computer won't be the only learning machine! You'll now get to watch and learn from all your mistakes!

Penalty calls:
The following list shows the calls you'll be getting if you play dirty:
Delay of Game: Goalie playing in trapezoid: 2 minutes
Delay of Game: If you play the puck over the glass: 2 minutes
Cross checking: If you high check from behind: 2 minutes
Tripping : if you trip your opponent with your stick: 2 minutes
High Sticking: If you high stick your opponent: 2 minutes
High Sticking: If you high stick your opponent and hurt him: 4 minutes
High Sticking: If you high stick your opponent and really hurt him: 5 minutes major
Fighting: If you fight: 5 minutes major

Show your talents to the world:
This year's innovation is the ability to save your latest play and load it online via EA Sports World. This is great guys! Last year we all went on YouTube to watch great goals scored by hockey fans in last year's game. Now it's possible to share it directly with your friends and get the chance to make it to the top 10 best goals on the web at EA Sports world. You can also take screenshots of your players and share them with your pals.

Statistics:
The new game offers a new stat tracker! If a player scores a goal, you'll see a message appear under him: 30th goal of the season. A lot of hockey gamers wanted this feature and we are thrilled to announce that it will be included in this new version. We'll also see the 3 stars of the game coming out, just like in real life! Things just keep getting more and more realistic!

Tune the game to your style:
People have wanted this feature for a long time. Now it's finally possible to import your songs into the game. Listening to your favorite tunes and playing at the same time makes a great combination. It doesn’t stop here though; you can choose the music horn for each time you score a goal, when you are going on a power play, shorthanded and a whole lot more.

Leagues included in the game:
National Hockey League
American Hockey League
International Teams.
Russian Elite
German Elite
Swedish Tourney
Finnish Tourney
Czech Elite

Online Mode:
This year's online mode tops every other sports game out on the market! We now have the possibility to play 6 VS 6, and all the players can be controlled by someone. The producers put all their efforts into bringing this game to a new generation of online gaming experience! Last year's was great, but it’s nothing compared to NHL 09. Also remember the full stat tracking implented for players, whether they are yours or your opponents! in the online mode for 09. It's only going to get better!

Online Team Play:
So I just mentioned the new ability to play 6 VS 6, but I’m happy to say that it doesn’t stop there! Our leagues will now offer full statistics on players, whether they are yours or your opponents!

Create-A-Play Online?
If you guys were waiting to get the create-a-play online mode, I'm happy to say that this feature will be even better than last year since you can now create an offensive play and a defensive play; which will ultimately change everything!

Be A Pro!!!
Okay, most of the NHL Gaming fans are asking themselves some questions about whether or not the new NHL version would include a superstar mode. The answer is no. However, EA Sports has made an even better feature called Be A Pro, which is more dynamic to the game. So what is the goal of Be A Pro? Well you choose or make your own player and you play with him on and off the ice. How do we play off the ice? You watch the game from the bench, with the bench camera, just like backup goaltenders do most of their time. It is the same thing if your take a penalty; you have to watch the game again!

What are the Feature of Be A Pro:
Create your virtual self: With the creation of last year’s create yourself, get drafted by a team to have a career and get rewarded if you play the game the way it should be played.
Personal Camera: Camera that follows you on the rink, bench, and penalty box where you don’t want to be too much.
Feedback: You will receive feedback on the way you play the games, positive and negative side of your style of play. You get this from every shift, period and game.
Position: Your game style position is the key to succeed as a pro. So be careful where and how you play versus your opponent!
Get traded? Yes it is possible to get traded… too bad if you were on a CUP contender team, you will have to work harder!
Cards of your Player: You will move to a new category of cards every time you have achieved a new level with your game style.
Your Goal: Be a hall of famer!! And it takes more then 1 season to accomplish.

PS3 and Xbox 360 version:
Well to make everything clear, both PS3 and Xbox 360 games are identical; graphics and frame rate… 60 frames per second for game play. Both have online features and both are as exciting to play.

Summary of NHL 09:
Well it’s amazing how the developers of the game were able for a second year in a row to implant so many new features or add into the passed years edition. Be a Pro mode is the biggest feature of the game. The community Leaders were simply stunned at the work the developers did to make the game as realistic as possible. Be A Pro will be a must for every Hockey and sports game on the market. We are currently playing NHL 08 with lots of pain because we know what’s next, and that’s it’s so much more than NHL 08. All I can say is that EA Sports made sure that NHL 09 will not be comparable to NHL 08. They are two very different games and done in a very short period of time.

*source: http://www.crashthenet.ca/event09/index.php?page=content/exclusive

I've always been a fan of the NHL games, until I left Canada. The golden replays were memorable. I hope the new one will be as great as the previous ones, and the BE A PRO should be interesting.

Do you reckon BE A PRO will go to the Basketball and such? or has it already..

All of the previews said FIFA 09 and NHL 09 share a "revolutionary" new feature, I wonder which of the above is in FIFA...

All of the previews said FIFA 09 and NHL 09 share a "revolutionary" new feature, I wonder which of the above is in FIFA...

I think it can be the Euphoria Physics Engine, that is the same engine used on GTAIV, that really would bring a new level of reality since the falls wouldn't be so predictable and eaqual. Another thing could be the 11 vs 11 online play on FIFA, together with BE A PRO that could be the future of games, play as a single player online, that create room for online leagues with thousend of people playing each one in the role of a single player.

But one thing that is in NHL08 that i really would like to see in FIFA is the same sense of control of the player and the play that we have playing the hockey game. The right stick control is amazing, we totally feels the player and feels that we have the total control of the play we want to make, i really wish that score a goal on FIFA was so fun than scores one in NHL08, in terms of control system the real revolution was on NHL08, so far... I thin football games need this kind of control change also...

about time a sports game used euphoria. this game just keeps getting better and better!

To be honest the last couple of NHL games ive played have all suffered with the same problem... the cpu can score the easiest goals going.... you try and do the same and their goalie is Mr Supreme!!

Yea, I posted that in the FIFA09 thread.

People are saying its so revolutionary, it could make FIFA GOTY. I find that amazing to be honest and am so intrigued to know what it is.

I doubt its the Euphoria engine - why would that make it GOTY? It was good in GTA, but not as revolutionary as was predicted (though has great promise!)

Got to be some sort of online integration feature I would imagine? Something that would make a big difference to how we play games...

Hmmmm....

To be honest the last couple of NHL games ive played have all suffered with the same problem... the cpu can score the easiest goals going.... you try and do the same and their goalie is Mr Supreme!!

Damn AI Cheats!!!! GRRRRR.... *shakes fist* :LOL:

That seems really a problem when you begin to play NHL08, specialy on high CPU levels. But with time of play you discover that you have to learn how to shoot to make goals, is not just shoot, shoot and shoot, that only gives more confidence to the CPU goaltender and becomes even harder to score. You have to learn to make a good snap shot from the point with traffic, or to get the goali out of position on one timer, and the most important is to make different shots, you can't try the same high angle shot the entire game that the goalie will be prepared for that, you have to make a lot of shot variation.

Another preview, this time from IGN and this time with a clue of the "GOTY" feature:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/880/880820p1.html

"... To end our viewing of NHL 09 EA did have one little carrot to dangle in front of our face saying, "there's an online feature in this year's game that has never been seen in a sports game before." And they left it at that, much to our dismay." (from the preview)

Never been seen in ANY sports game before?

Must be shite then, if nobody else has thought of it first. Games have been going long enough. :eh:

If you honestly dont believe there is CPU cheating in games then that is up to you....

um yeahhhhhh so swiftly moving on!! I might give this a go!

No, no, i believe that CPU cheats in games, specially in PES, i just don't think this is the case here. In NHL you can have games with more than 30 shots without scoring and in the next game you can have only 15 shots on goal and score 3 times, it's much more a matter of unpredictable gameday than a CPU cheating in this case. And, of course, you have to pratice a LOT before make a good season on SUPERSTAR mode! :LOL:

The revolutionary online feature will be 6v6 in NHL and 10v10 in FIFA. And both will be shit as there are too many knob-jockeys about.

I dunno even if we have 10 PS3 "reliable" players here though, so it will become pointless for some.:(

I'm looking for a bunch of "reliable" PS3 FIFA players to buddy up with / play in leagues with, so keep me in mind in the future.

I also fancy giving this Ice Hockey game a bash aswell.

The problem with 6 or 10 a side (or whatever) is greedy bastards who constantly refuse to pass the ball (or puck). I accept people aren't going to pass all the time but I much prefer knocking the ball/puck around than just route 1 shite. I'd rather play nice footy/hockey and lose than route 1 shit with no passing and win.

I'm looking for a bunch of "reliable" PS3 FIFA players to buddy up with / play in leagues with, so keep me in mind in the future.

The problem with 6 or 10 a side (or whatever) is greedy bastards who constantly refuse to pass the ball (or puck). I accept people aren't going to pass all the time but I much prefer knocking the ball/puck around than just route 1 shite. I'd rather play nice footy/hockey and lose than route 1 shit with no passing and win.
We should be given the ability to Tackle our own Team Mates if they refuse to pass us the ball! lol! Ill do a 2 footed slide tackle on the greedy bastard!

I'm a reliable FIFA player, so I'll add you - I'm not that good though, but some of my 5v5 performances with the other 360 lads were promising :LOL:

On the 'revolutionary feature' - I am genuinely intrigued! I do remember reading a year or so ago (may have been rumoured for FIFA 08) about having humans providing the commentary on the matches in real time.

If thats true - that WILL suck!

How about a Project Gotham style 'TV Channel'. Granted, its 'been done before', but not in a sports game.

The TV Channel would show the best games going on, have a weekly highlights show, top goals, assists etc etc. Maybe with PS3's new YouTube facility, it could link into that?

Not something I'd care much for personally as theirs not much more boring than watching someone else play a video game, but I can see the benefit of bringing a more 'community' feel to things.

Cannot wait for the announcement on this though!

I think there is probably enough fifa gamerss for 09 now heres a few of the top of my head sorry if i miss you out

Me
PBorehame
SJP76
DJdoc
Matherto
Metallica
Proxi
Radiation
Dags

There are the most common people here i guess, sorry if i missed anyone out but there the few that i now are here often.

Last edited:
Yep I reckon you could be right. It would be ok if the 10 of us were all Regular Evo Webbers :)
Wrong again, you'll need 20 Regular Evo Webbers mate, or else your opponent team of randoms will all quit within 20 minutes when they see you're playing properly and they aren't.

Back
Top Bottom