[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

Sadly the complete lack of games that interest me on ps4/xbone makes the cost of Fifa14 at least €460. Kinda pricy. Lets hope that Fifa15 is proper on pc otherwise...

I appreciate your frustration with playing defense in FIFA 14. Having read quite a few of your posts, I'll try to offer you some advice I haven't seen offered to you yet.

1. In regards to your personal skill controlling the player... I respect your honesty that you admit to not having "leet skillz" when it comes to FIFA 14. So your 1v1 defending may not be good enough to rescue your defense when they are caught out in a bad situation. So, my advice is for you to rarely/never switch players on defense. The reasons for this are numerous. The biggest reason is that the more often you switch, the more often you are pulling players out of position. So stop that. Also, you can play defense off-the-ball to either deny/intercept passing lanes, or to double up in tandem with your CPU teammate. I find it much more effective to "double" press when the player is controlling the second player instead of the CPU doubling.

2. Tactics. You need to delve into your tactics and formation as well as learning how to study your opponents. Do you want to press really high up the pitch? That's typically a 4-3-3 formation to push on their fullbacks and midfielders. Do you want to outnumber your opponent in midfield and play with a lot of possession and short passes? That can be a 4-2-3-1. Want a little more direct play with some pressing built in? Try a 4-1-2-1-2 (a 4-4-2 diamond). And make sure your formation matches your team instructions. If you want to counter attack, set up a formation that helps you move the ball up the field quickly on a turnover and set your team instructions to low pressing, a deep line, and non-aggressive tackling. Then make sure you play the way your have instructed. If you want high pressing, then set it up differently. Just have a plan and stick with it. In real life, the best managers are organized and dedicated to their plan.

3. In game adjustments. So, I didn't see it, but I assume it has been mentioned to you. The CPU adjusts their tactics every game at the 80 minute mark when losing close (down less than 2 goals) to a high line/high pressing formation. What this means specifically is that CPU will push up on your fullbacks, push up on one of your center backs, and they will run through your midfielders from behind to pick off any short passes. So don't dawdle on the ball in the back, or the CPU will take it from you and score. Either be good enough to pass and dribble out of the back, or start launching long passes. Also, it would be a pretty good idea for you to make a formation adjustment to counter the CPU high press. Add an extra defender or defensive midfielder... OR throw on an extra attacker to target on the fast break.

Anyways, some things to try. Try not to focus on the big picture (winning or losing) but focus on doing the best you can to stick to your game plan. Play to your players strengths and to your formation and tactics. For my FIFA development, I found it easiest to learn to defend deep and counter, then move on to high pressing and possession. So do what you want, but enjoy that the game is challenging. It will ultimately make winning that much more satisfying.

Sorry for not getting back, thanks for the input on how to defend. I haven't played it since my rant but I did have a video I didn't post showing the major issue I have with defending. I'll explain what's going on in these three clips because it will otherwise look like ridiculous defending.

The basic problem is that when the COM has the ball and is pretty much not doing anything at slow speed he can just do a basic turn on the ball which throws my manually controlled player in the opposite direction. The COM makes space and goals for itself ALL the time against me by doing this method. It's like there's an invisible barrier between the COM player and your jockeying defender, get too close and your player will run around this barrier and away from the player, leaving a gaping hole for him to run into.

In the video below, the first one, I'm controlling Giroud. I'm not doing anything much at all barring standing between him and the strikers behind me. At this point I'm just holding back and using L2 to jockey. The COM does nothing except turn back on himself and change direction, something I know is about to happen, so I followed his basic movement - except the game just made Giroud carry on in the opposite direction I told him too, effectively ran away from the guy with the ball, and left a massive space for him to move into. Now, I totally appreciate on the video it just looks like I move Giroud away from the ball but I really wasn't doing this - it's as if the game decided that Giroud was going to be 'thrown' by the change of direction and some strange sense of momentum kicks in making him stagger out of the way even though I was definitely not sprinting or even moving in to try and tackle the guy.

The second clip, it's pretty much the same. I'm controlling Arteta, the COM is controlling my fellow defender and the attacker on the wing. I'm not interested in making a tackle, just holding up the winger, but the COM does nothing but change direction and both of my players carry on in the same direction opposite to where he is going, which gifts him space to cross. Again, I was moving very slowly, and again, I was able to follow and predict the COM's movements, but as you can see, it looks like it manages to completely throw both my players in the wrong direction. On that occasion I was using both L2 and X to jockey.

Third clip is a bit more strange, I'm in control of Kaboul as he comes across to try and close the defender down. You can tell from his animation that once I got close to him I went into 'jockey' mode and tried to manually place him between the attacker and the goal, but for some reason he just carried on running around the side of the attacker which is completely NOT what I was telling him to do. If anything he should have jockeyed and then backed off a bit.

YouTube - My Movie

That's my number one problem with the game, and I've tried every method I can think of to stop it but to no avail. It's how the COM mostly creates space, gets in crosses etc. The game simply makes my players run away from the attackers when they change direction, something that absolutely does not happen when I'm attacking.

So what am I doing wrong? If someone can suggest why my slow moving jockeying player just carries on moving on his own when the COM changes direction, I'll be happy to return to the game, but otherwise I don't see any point in playing it. How others cope with this is beyond me.

Last edited:
Sadly the complete lack of games that interest me on ps4/xbone makes the cost of Fifa14 at least €460. Kinda pricy. Lets hope that Fifa15 is proper on pc otherwise...

+1

I'd like to see next-gen FIFA come to PC but not getting my hopes up. My faith in Konami and PES is almost completely shattered.

There's enough difference to justify getting it.Coming from PC to PS4.
The weight of players, free ball, extra precision in controls and individuality are some of those pros of NG.
The difference btw players on manual is on another level from any other game.For the 1st time I appreciate players with high vision stats.Same with every single stat ( interceptions, att position, ball control,......)

After getting used to the game I only changed cpu passing error and shot error for us both on World class.
I played 2 CM seasons on PC and now season 4 on PS4.The most I've played since I started played.

Most of what I dreamt about football is in this game . Of course there's still room for improvement and bug fixing.I expect a bigger jump in Fifa15 that's going to be their focus now.

Exactly how I feel the next gen version is superior in every way and can't play the PC version anymore.
There are certain things that need improving in the next gen - mainly difficulty as I find it pretty easy on the PS4.

+1

I'd like to see next-gen FIFA come to PC but not getting my hopes up. My faith in Konami and PES is almost completely shattered.

+1

At least there is something that can be "almost shattered". Sadly there isnt any faith in EA. Not until 2018 at least.

Every kid I play against in Seasons:

CROSS - HEADER - GOOOOOAL

That's all they do! I try and play football but the game doesn't let me.

Every kid I play against in Seasons:

CROSS - HEADER - GOOOOOAL

That's all they do! I try and play football but the game doesn't let me.

Play against players not playing on full Auto, that way you won't see it happen everytime.
Full Auto is practically the same as cheating in my book.

The strangest thing happened today, I subbed Fellaini off at a corner and put Carvalho on, but when the game resumed Fellaini and Carvalho were both on the field, Carvalho still in his warm-up top, giving me 12 players on the field. All 12 players were controllable but the game crashed at the next stoppage in play.

yN4ajhR.jpg

Zq8k3Oz.jpg

Last edited:
There's another bug I keep getting.Where 2 of my subs disappear from the menus and I only have 3 subs.

And another one when I lose a sub even when I still have 1/3.
Those bugs are really annoying.I haven't experienced them on previous gen.It happens when I need to bring on a fresh player while losing.

Right I am done with Career Mode. Boring, repetitive, shite. Playing against the CPU is poo.

Ultimate Team is addictive as hell though, never got into it before.

I think I've cracked it. I set up a formation and tactic setup to counter the game and its, shall we say, foibles and attack patterns - and my new Spurs career mode has see me rocket from 12th place to 3rd by January, with seventeen wins and two defeats. I've been regularly hitting four to five goals a game. I carefully went over work rates, positional arrows and custom tactics and I've been absolutely flying.

It sounds awful for this game, but I did the opposite of what everyone suggests and went as high pressing I can. High pressure, high defensive line, offside trap, narrow defensive shape to squeeze out the play in the middle, full backs with defensive lines to cover the CBs, CMs with high attacking and defensive work rates, and wide men who drift inside meaning they run into channels the game can't pick up on.

I'm not sure if it'll work fir every team but my Spurs side keeps winning.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it again, Suuups. I think I have a similar play style to that.

One problem I have encountered is with the 5-3-2 formation I've been using. It has 3 CBs and wingbacks but when we play a team that uses one striker (4-3-3 or 4-5-1) my two wide center backs end up covering their wingers instead of my wingbacks. That makes the wingbacks move in to cover for the center backs and they basically end up switching positions. This doesn't happen once or twice a match though, it's basically their defensive positions for the entire match. The only way I've found to stop it was to switch to a 3-5-2 and make the wingbacks very defensive wide midfielders.

I think I've cracked it. I set up a formation and tactic setup to counter the game and its, shall we say, foibles and attack patterns - and my new Spurs career mode has see me rocket from 12th place to 3rd by January, with seventeen wins and two defeats. I've been regularly hitting four to five goals a game. I carefully went over work rates, positional arrows and custom tactics and I've been absolutely flying.

It sounds awful for this game, but I did the opposite of what everyone suggests and went as high pressing I can. High pressure, high defensive line, offside trap, narrow defensive shape to squeeze out the play in the middle, full backs with defensive lines to cover the CBs, CMs with high attacking and defensive work rates, and wide men who drift inside meaning they run into channels the game can't pick up on.

I'm not sure if it'll work fir every team but my Spurs side keeps winning.

Sounds great. Obviously, we are all waiting for your post in a day or two claiming it's all gone to shit... but, pleased to hear your efforts to get organized with a team plan have gone well.

You are finally "managing" a team in manager mode. Well done.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it again, Suuups. I think I have a similar play style to that.

One problem I have encountered is with the 5-3-2 formation I've been using. It has 3 CBs and wingbacks but when we play a team that uses one striker (4-3-3 or 4-5-1) my two wide center backs end up covering their wingers instead of my wingbacks. That makes the wingbacks move in to cover for the center backs and they basically end up switching positions. This doesn't happen once or twice a match though, it's basically their defensive positions for the entire match. The only way I've found to stop it was to switch to a 3-5-2 and make the wingbacks very defensive wide midfielders.

Cheers bud :) that's odd about your CBs, maybe the team is too spread our or something which could make the game drag them out to cover space? I'll post my set up at some point if anyone is interested, my attacking settings are great, I'm finally getting players into the box and goals are largely flying in. Soldado in my side is getting so many goals now. The number of goals I score from crosses is a bit ridiculous but I'll take it after being shite at the game for so long!

Sounds great. Obviously, we are all waiting for your post in a day or two claiming it's all gone to shit... but, pleased to hear your efforts to get organized with a team plan have gone well.

You are finally "managing" a team in manager mode. Well done.

Haha well not yet, I got back on it last night and thought that might be the case because I didn't score for three games and lost easily to Man City, but after that it all seemed to click again. Maybe it's a combo of returning to the game after a few days and playing some new signings effecting the flow of the team. Either way, I won the League Cup and am holding on to a Champions League spot so far.

I will say though, that cup final v Swansea was the most blatant sign of COM boosting I've ever seen. It's nothing new, PES used to wheel it out for cup finals. I raced into a 2-0 lead after just eight minutes, then Swansea got one back almost immediately. From that point on I could barely get a kick, they were faster and stronger like someone had pressed a button or something. They pressed so much that list one point all I could do was hack the ball down the field to stop myself bring swarmed by players in my own penalty area from a short goal kick etc.

Second half, it sat back for a few minutes and I managed a third goal, then missed a penalty to make it 4-1, which seemed to activate what I call 'boost mode' and they all started swarming on me again while moving and kicking the ball like it was on fast forward or something. They inevitably scored to make it 3-2 and I just about scraped through by literally hacking the ball away from under my own crossbar several times in injury time. At this point in the game every simple pass I made seemed to go totally wrong for no reason, too. It was great to win but seriously, if EA want to make an AI that tries to replicate periods of pressure then at least try and be subtle about it. Seeing a lumbering CB slaloming around at 100mph isn't the way to go about it!

Last edited:
I will say this about FIFA though, all the same problems from last gen still exist in this game and I highly doubt I'll be getting FIFA15 unless some massive changes are made. It's no closer to a football simulation than the older games. If you manage to acquire players who are strong, tall and fast then you'll romp the game regardless of any other factors. There's very little stats going on here that actually have any real effect.

Also, they have to cut out this COM boosting issue. I won a series of games tonight including a win away to Chelsea, but then the game decided it was going to end that run of wins by beating me 2-0with Southampton. It's not losing that's annoying, it's the way it managed to win. From the first kick off the COM players were running around like its a Benny Hill sketch. It's actually laughably bad how obvious the physical stat boosting is in these situations and there's no way of combating it. Every COM player regardless of stats was passing lightning fast passes with robotic accuracy, controlling and passing the ball in one same movement, twisting and turning on the ball with no inertia at all. It drives me nuts.

I lost that game through absolutely NOTHING to do with football, but everything to do with physical stats making them do things my players couldn't. It's an old problem with FIFA that always pisses me off, and for that reason alone I'll be passing on the next game.

So is anyone else seeing the AI boosting the Suupertalk complains about? Personally I'm not, playing on World Class with sliders from Operation Sports. There are some games where the AI seems more up for it than others, which I find to be realistic, but I never have cases where I feel cheated.

So is anyone else seeing the AI boosting the Suupertalk complains about? Personally I'm not, playing on World Class with sliders from Operation Sports. There are some games where the AI seems more up for it than others, which I find to be realistic, but I never have cases where I feel cheated.

Agree. Suuuuupertalk is the one with problems... He always feels cheated, even playing tic-tac-toe.

So is anyone else seeing the AI boosting the Suupertalk complains about?

Yes and no, if I'm playing a very weak team in the cups then yes the underdog AI logic kicks in quite heavily but my sliders mostly circumvent that so as long as I play to my strengths (better players = better/quicker short passing, better movement, better ball control and ability on the ball) then I generally won't have problems overcoming it.

Agree. Suuuuupertalk is the one with problems... He always feels cheated, even playing tic-tac-toe.

Really? Try playing the game on default then without making it miles easier with sliders. We're essentially playing two different games, yet you quite rudely and unenccearily claim I'm the one with all the problems.

Here's an example. I beat Newcastle 3-0 at home. I then beat Newcastle 5-0 at St James' Park. Two matches later I played them in the FA Cup semi final at Wembley - right from the off they were sprinting faster than all my players, knocking all my players off the ball, a totally transformed team, not in any way down to football but because they could run faster and won EVERY tackle. Every loose ball fell to them, and despite me beating them 8-0 in my previous two games they went into a ridiculous 3-0 lead after just half an hour. The best bit? The 70-something rated Newcastle left back scoring a 35-yard bycicle kick. And people on here claim it doesn't boost? Do me favour.

If people claim it doesn't boost then try playing the game on default settings rather than making it easier via slider set ups.

Last edited:
Really? Try playing the game on default then without making it miles easier with sliders. We're essentially playing two different games, yet you quite rudely and unenccearily claim I'm the one with all the problems.

Here's an example. I beat Newcastle 3-0 at home. I then beat Newcastle 5-0 at St James' Park. Two matches later I played them in the FA Cup semi final at Wembley - right from the off they were sprinting faster than all my players, knocking all my players off the ball, a totally transformed team, not in any way down to football but because they could run faster and won EVERY tackle. Every loose ball fell to them, and despite me beating them 8-0 in my previous two games they went into a ridiculous 3-0 lead after just half an hour. The best bit? The 70-something rated Newcastle left back scoring a 35-yard bycicle kick. And people on here claim it doesn't boost? Do me favour.

If people claim it doesn't boost then try playing the game on default settings rather than making it easier via slider set ups.

Your complais are exactly the same that you had playing PES, so i think you have to accept how games are done. There is no way to make a challenging sports game without any kind of AI boost. I just think you have to face it in a different way.

We have so may examples of your main complains in real life. How would you call the Liverpool x Palace tie on Monday after Liverpool was winning by 3 goals until 70th minute? Was it stat boost or "final-third script"?

How about City home defeat against Wigan on FA Cup Quarterfinal this year? Stat boost or "Cup acript"? Or Liverpool loss to Chelsea B team? Or Barça tie against Getafe? Or Real Madrid tie agains Valencia? You can have so many examples in a single week. This is football. If all the teams played the same way every time football would be really boring.

You see what you want in life, and in a game if you only search for CPU cheating you will see them all the time and, let's face it mate, you see them A LOT.

So that's why i think that the problem is with what you are expecting from games, you should really relax and don't take games too serious. The fact that you refuse to use sliders because you may feel you'll be "cheating" the game in some way or "making it easier" shows IMO that you really have a problem with that.

@supertalk
Man you really need to give this game a rest or either accept you're not there yet.
I play World class full manual with default sliders except cpu passing at 56 and shooting for both of us at 54.

I don't feel the obvious cheat or even cheated at all.Legendary is a different story.There are many factors that affect game.You won't have the same experience playing same team but in different competitions.

I'm halfway through my 5th season with Blackburn.Every single competition has it's own logic or may I say mechanics.
Epl is very fast and non stop action.FA cup and League cup are much slower with more opportunity of humiliating the opp. at early stages which gets harder the more you progress.In my 1st eurpa league campaign , it's slower, more tactical and speed isn't an important factor like EPL.
I might be wrong on this but changing football from default to EA glider edition made it slightly slower.

Also press conferences , players' character,form, etc... all those thing affect the gameplay in many ways we will never figure out.And if you knew you might be the ultimate one. :))

So my advice to you, try a different league with slower pace more tactical approach. The results might please you.

I'm doing just fine at the game, first season is over and I've won the league cup and ended up finishing third in the league with Spurs. I was just talking about occasions where the game goes absolutely crazy. I get what Honome is saying, of course there are shock results etc, but it's the manner in which they occur. You don't see Getafe come out of the blocks like bionic men flattening every Barcelona player and outpacing Messi with a lumbering CB. You also don't see a Getafe player scoring a 35 yard bycicle kick to round off an opening 3-0 score, all with a team that I had previously thrashed just a few game prior. It's a feature of FIFA for a long time and it's crap. Yes, PES does something similar.

Thing is, the only two games I ever complain about are the two football games, no other game I play in any other genre pulls the same cheap shots that these do. It's a reflection of how shite football games really are if anything. But I really don't mind losing, earlier in the season I lost a home game 1-0 which was a shock, but it was an even game where I missed my share of chances and they took theirs - fair enough, but playing a semi final only to get blitzed out of the game after half an hour is just stupid. It looks so robotic and automated when this happens. I'm amazed other people claim never to see the AI play out this way.

Really?! You won a cup and finished 3rd and yet you still complain?!
That boost is there to make the game competitive that's why it's only there in sports games.
But any offline game does have some sort of boosting.Like AI knowing where you're without having a direct line of vision.Or being highly aggressive (read the notes of new difficulty in Last of us).
Some people like being tortured by AI, others just play to have fun.

By the way World class doesn't turn a dumb slow player into Messi clone or anything like that.Only legendary has some annoying boosting . That's why I dropped to WC.

On another note, I really like the double tap shooting.I didn't know about it before. I read about it in that guide from previous pages.I scored some beautiful goals with it.This game is really deep.The more I play, the more I learn and like it more. :))

Well like I said, I don't complain when I lose if the AI actually plays better football than you, no. One match I lost 2-1 at Liverpool and they just about deserved it, no issues there. Both teams were physically even. What I find annoying is that I can steamroller teams 4-0, 5-0 with little to no resistance from the AI and then in, coincidentally, vital matches, the game comes out like an express train and tramples you physically. Like I said, I play on default settings so maybe that's where the differences are. But to say it doesn't boost physical stats just isn't true.

The game does certain blatant things that are immediately noticeable from kick off, and sometimes later in the match if it is chasing the game. This includes player movement on the ball, which ramps up considerably in speed. The COM can control the ball and pass it before the control animation had even finished. And yeah, slow players have the ability to catch up quick ones and brush them off the ball. The ref also starts calling fouls for virtually nothing but allowing their players to flatten you with no foul.

That's the problem. There's not a steady challenge. I'll play games where the game just let's me walk into a 4-0 halftime lead, then it'll come out and absolutely blitz me away regardless of the team. It's always been a problem on higher difficulties nd I'm amazed people are denying it happens.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom