Next Gen Consoles

Thought about this myself, but I'm not sure how much can be done until we have a radical new input method, or everyone has a keyboard in their living room, because right now tvs just aren't good at using web functions, which is the primary use of second screens, no?

I saw on ps4 you can use your tablet as a virtual keyboard when typing a message etc. I imagine Xbox smart glass either already does or will do the same thing.

From reading and watching reviews of all the launch games, it seems the consensus "best looking" next gen game is Ryse for the Xbox One. Second and third places look to be Forza 5 and Killzone: Shadow Fall in some order.

Not surprising to see either console's first party games in the top 3, but it's a great sign for this new console generation that a third party developer's engine (I know Ryse is a "first party published game") has made the best looking game at launch. As someone who has grown tired of seeing countless Unreal 3 engine games, I'd like to see a lot more CryEngine games for the upcoming generation of consoles.

Ryse is the first next gen CryEngine game released and it looks amazing. Crysis on PC still looks amazing. Many of the best Ubisoft Montreal games (Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell) were developed with a customized version of the CryEngine (they hired away a couple of Crytek designers to make their own version) and those have been some of my favorite looking and best performing games for the current generation.

PS4 owners should be happy to see a CryEngine game look so amazing on the Xbox One, as I'm sure the CryEngine could recreate the same fidelity on their system.

Although Ryse seems to be lacking in depth (based on what I've seen it's like a Batman game with nothing to do but combat... has a great combat system, but without any variety it can get stale after 8 hours) it is the only game that looks "next gen" to me. The amount of graphical polish is amazing. The first showpiece game for the new consoles.

I saw on ps4 you can use your tablet as a virtual keyboard when typing a message etc. I imagine Xbox smart glass either already does or will do the same thing.

Yeah but if the idea is to make the tv more of a "second screen," and you're using your second screen (tablet or phone) to input into the tv, that doesn't make sense does it? Bah, I'm getting too old to figure this shit out.

I still haven't received my email or text from Shopto.

Says completed/dispatched on the website but few mates have had confirmation via text and email.

The PS4s that had problems in the US were:

I1uzN5D.jpg

Made in China

The consoles coming to Europe:

rDFO2Qi.jpg

tyR9P7E.jpg

Are made in Japan!

:)

Not based on any review I've read, most of them say that even if you don't press any buttons when you're supposed to it still ends up the same.

Yeah, it's getting pretty poor reviews because of the combat system and shallow gameplay.

Sounds like Killzone and Ryse are pretty much the same: two launch titles with short production windows that had to choose between graphics and gameplay, with both choosing the former for obvious reasons.

I haven't played Ryse but it sounds a lot worse than Killzone, and Killzone could've been awesome with better enemy AI, stealth mechanics, and level design. Instead they both seem to be the equivalent of your shallow but gorgeous summer eye-candy blockbuster movie.

I'm kinda tempted to hold-off on playing Killzone anymore to see if they patch the AI, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Not based on any review I've read, most of them say that even if you don't press any buttons when you're supposed to it still ends up the same.

Well, there has been some confusion over reviewing the combat system. The "game within the game" seems to be stylishly killing your opponents, which requires good button timing, and using the right moves in context. When the game is played on the hardest level (as only one reviewer I saw even tried) the game can be a very intense brawler with a heavy emphasis on combat "flow" in order to succeed (like the Batman Arkham games).

Also, stylishly killing your opponent can be used to increase health, or XP, or some other stuff. You can change this setting on the fly, so if you need health you need to execute your opponent in certain ways. I'm not saying it's great (no one is), but that there is more depth to it than just a "button masher."

That being said, on the easiest levels, the game is pretty much a no-fail button masher. I'm not surprised that the reviewers who played the game on the lower challenge levels thought it was boring.

All-in-all I think the game as a franchise has potential. I got really drawn in to the quick look at GiantBomb.com (http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-ryse/2300-8245/) where you can see a lot of what I'm talking about. It kind of reminds me of the first Assassin's Creed game. Another game that just didn't get everything right and was ultimately a chore to play, despite looking super amazing at the time. Maybe Ryse 2 can make a similar leap in quality as Assassin's Creed 2? Who knows.

After a few minutes of the quick look, I think you'll be able to tell exactly what type of game this is and why it is only getting mediocre reviews. It's reminiscent of an old school brawler which can be played like a button masher on the easier difficulties. Either you are somebody who enjoys cranking up the difficulty and trying to beat the game with style or you'll find the game boring. Because there seems to be nothing else to do but the combat (with only a sword and shield) I think one's entire impression of the game is how much they enjoy "sword and board" combat.

It reminds me of the Viking game for the 360 that came out 6 years or so ago.

EDIT: But my point was really just that if you want to see a "next gen" looking game graphically, go check out Ryse in a store demo or something. Whether a PS4 owner or a Xbox One owner, it is a pretty good indicator of what next gen game engies can look like.

Last edited:
Well best of luck to all you xboxers out there. Hopefully no ps4 like dead machine come your way. I want to see plenty of video clips posted you hear!

Good, please just move on from the topic. Your incessant determination to argue that PCs are the superior gaming platform comes off as nothing but arrogant and closed-minded.

We know how you feel, so how about just letting us console gamers enjoy our ignorant bliss?

Okidoky I won't mention PC. Roll on next Friday

I had to delete my last post (and your response) to remove any information that might violate a non-disclosure agreement... but:

That article clearly says the 2.3 million people are a combination of both Xbox One and PS4 waiting lists. The article does not say the split percentages.

Gamestop has no idea:PIG:

Well, there has been some confusion over reviewing the combat system. The "game within the game" seems to be stylishly killing your opponents, which requires good button timing, and using the right moves in context. When the game is played on the hardest level (as only one reviewer I saw even tried) the game can be a very intense brawler with a heavy emphasis on combat "flow" in order to succeed (like the Batman Arkham games).

[/B]

I think you're absolutely right that this game is the game to play or see to get an idea of what next gen is capable of, even at this early stage.

But I think why people are slagging the combat system is that yes, while both Batman and Ryse require "flow" and good timing to succeed, that's where the comparisons end. It sounds like in Ryse you only have control over shield and sword, whereas in Batman there are loads of combinations between the various attacks and gadgets.

Then the other big complaint you keep hearing is that in Ryse you feel too much like a bystander, which is quite opposite in Batman.

It's too bad too 'cause Ryse was the one X1 launch title that interested me, as I"m a sucker for quality games based in medieval/fantasy settings. But it does look like a fun game to watch.

You can say it... I shouldn't.

Well, even though Gamestop may be trying to fortify their own stock, I think they obviously have some idea based on pre-orders, people waiting etc... Regardless of what console the figures represent this sort of data bodes well for consoles, both PS4 and Xbox, and this is only Gamestop reporting.

You especially jay. Can't believe I'm missing out on dead rising 3. I fudging loved the first and my only ... Not criticism but ... My only wish for how it could have been better was that I wish we could have gone open world. And here it is!

Also saw the rev3gmes Xbox console review... And I'll admit. It looks fucking cool. Not the box, not the ui (it kinda looks cluttered with so many boxes everywhere).. But the way you can snap items around and pin your favourite games and apps. Picture in picture feature is a real great next gen feature. VERY jealous that won't be on ps4, and I can't see it ever coming to ps4.
I'm not into the voice and waving your arms around stuff myself and thankfully it's not really anything anyone NEEDS to use.

When the price drops, I'll struggle to hold off picking one up.

That's a stereotype held by the gaming community, particularly by PC gamers. Why would I give a flying fuck what PC gamers think? I'm not going to meet one, not outside.

Again - why would I want to have a look at world PC gaming events? Why is that a valuable use of my time?

What i am trying to convey is people at the site or events does not look like one portrayed as fat, lazy, nerd.. etc. That's all. ;)

Back
Top Bottom