Next Gen Consoles

The new console isn't even revealed and their is already talk of add ons and extra shit? Sounds messy.

Well it's certainly something attractive to people who only had one console, I know I keep repeating this and I'm sure it's tiresome but as I never had a PS3 if I could play PS3 exclusives on the PS4 at a fair price then I would definitely consider switching my "allegiance" to Sony for next gen.

Yeah, that's a good point. If Gaikai streaming will work fine to fair prices I would say, this is good solution. But in the end we will know all those things, once the next-gen concoles are released and such offers are available... ;)

I think a hardware based backward compatibility will never happen again - this will be too expensive, that's why Sony already deleted this feature on PS3 at early stage.

Two models of Xbox 720 one full price possibly $399-$499 that doesn't need to be always connected.
And the second Subscription based model for only $200 with monthly payments of two years of Xbox live which is always connected to make sure ppl pay there 2 years of Xbox Live.

I need two consoles. One for me and the main room (my eldest plays on this one more too) and one for the kids bedroom. So looking at the above statement, I would be best getting 2 x $200 dollar consoles and getting the Xbox Live separate. That way, I setup my Family Live accounts on the main console and my boys can sign in upstairs too. Or I just buy the 2nd console at $200 as it may be cheaper to pay Live up front on the $400 option.

That's if the same sort of rules apply to live and DLC downloading as it does now.

I used to agree to this 100%, but now I think XBLA games should be compatible with a new system.

Agreed. To be honest, I think any games purchased on the xbox marketplace or ps store should be compatible on all of their respective new consoles going forward.

Is there any reason why they won't be? as it is all on the hard drive. I thought backwards compatibility was down to the discs they use etc?

All of the stuff you have downloaded with your gamertag should be accessible?

We know, we know. ANOTHER next Xbox rumour story.

But there’s reason to put weight in this one. It comes from tech blogger Paul Thurrott who earlier this month correctly named May 21st as the date for the new console’s reveal.

So he clearly knows something. Or is a good guesser.

Thurrott reckons the new machine is due out in early November, includes Blu-ray, is not backwards compatible, is based on the ‘Core’ version of Windows 8 and include apps based on Windows functionality.

The machine will launch with two SKUs priced at $499 and $299, the latter of which requires a two-year Xbox Live subscription priced at $10 per month.

He also reiterated that Microsoft has scrapped plans to launch a disc-less digital-based companion SKU. The project is now “on hold” and while it theoretically could be launched in 2014 it now appears to have been abandoned.

What is on the cards, however, is a redesigned Xbox 360 that will retail for “significantly” less than the current models.

Most importantly Thurrott once again claims that the console WILL require a permanent internet connection. However, the system “isn’t as draconian as many seem to believe”. So it’s still A BIT draconian? Kinect will also be mandatory.

Oh, and it will simply be called “Xbox”.

He adds that more details about the machine, specifically including its launch software lineup, will be unveiled “on the eve” of E3, presumably at Microsoft’s press event.

According to a Polygon source, Achievements are being revamped so that developers and publishers can add more to a game post launch – without DLC if need be.

This will allow developers to “tweak player behavior,” like for example: having them spend more time in certain areas of the game or to help them “get past a difficult spot.” The report also states that the new Xbox could also contain “cross-platform” and “cross-title” Achievements.

There also won’t be a cap on the number of Xbox Live friends a person can have, and supposedly, folks will be able to follow one another – sort of like on Twitter.

Other nuggets gleaned from the report include a video sharing system which will act similar to a DVR and record user gameplay to share on YouTube. Those who feel like sharing their session can go into the video and select highlights to edit. This function can be turned on and off or set up automatically.

The console will also have “some form” of always-on requirement to support apps, streaming video services, and act as a possible anti-piracy tool.

It will also support digital rights management and anti-piracy checks through an Internet connection. This could come in the form of a one-time authentication or a constant connection – depending on the publisher.

Take all this as rumor, as usual, until Microsoft finally announces the console on May 21.

Microsoft’s IllumiRoom concept “sits on a coffee table” and could be used alongside next Xbox
Reports suggest Microsoft’s IllumiRoom could be part of the next Xbox’s setup.

The exciting concept, which uses Kinect and a standard projector to combine virtual and physical worlds, was revealed back in January as part of the company’s CES 2013 showing.

A brief video arrived ahead of a Microsoft’s tech event at CHI 2013 tomorrow. As spotted by The Verge, the video indicates how IllumiRoom would work as “a next-generation gaming console.”

“IllumiRoom envisions a next-generation gaming console with a projector that sits on your coffee table and surrounds your television with projected light,” explains the narrator.

“IllumiRoom can extend the gaming content out of your TV, creating a truly immersive experience. Or we can selectively show game elements, like explosions, or make it snow in our living room.”

Microsoft’s IllumiRoom concept “sits on a coffee table” and could be used alongside next Xbox
Reports suggest Microsoft’s IllumiRoom could be part of the next Xbox’s setup.

The exciting concept, which uses Kinect and a standard projector to combine virtual and physical worlds, was revealed back in January as part of the company’s CES 2013 showing.

A brief video arrived ahead of a Microsoft’s tech event at CHI 2013 tomorrow. As spotted by The Verge, the video indicates how IllumiRoom would work as “a next-generation gaming console.”

“IllumiRoom envisions a next-generation gaming console with a projector that sits on your coffee table and surrounds your television with projected light,” explains the narrator.

“IllumiRoom can extend the gaming content out of your TV, creating a truly immersive experience. Or we can selectively show game elements, like explosions, or make it snow in our living room.”

I don't have a coffee table

Surely it will only work in the dark, and if you have a good space between you the projector and the tv, and if your tv is against a flat wall...

Cool idea still.

The problem with Kinnect etc is no feedback.
The Kinnect sports football game was amazing when it came to kicking the ball if I wanted it to go in the top corner I would kick like in real life and it worked amazingly.
But tackling and stopping the ball was just jumping around crazy like most movement games they need to add the gloves and suits to add body feedback. Once they figure that out it will work as intended

Back
Top Bottom