Celtic Thread

Hertha Berlin's caretaker coach is one "Andreas Thom."

Would that be the same chumpy that once played for your mob?

I wonder how Jonas Thern or Erik Bo Andersen is these days.

Yep that's him, remember he scored a bullet right from the kick off against you lot in a 3-3 thriller at Castle Greyskull. He was great at times but could only ever manage 60 minutes :D.

I thought Thern retired with a persistent knee injury problem while still at Rangers? Tut tut, if you know the history!

Guys two out of 4/

Lyon???
Celtic????
Anderlecht???
Bayern???

I'm afraid it will be Bayern (and Anderlecht as fourth...) but what about Lyon or Celtic...

As much as i like Celtic (and i like them) i was more impressed by Lyon...

What do you guys think????

Good luck in Lyon and may the best win...

It will be very tough now, 3 first-choice players missing for definite. This is what Celtic fans were complaining about in the summer, when we get injuries we are not strong enough to cope easily at this level.

I think we can make it, but it will require a fantastic performance and some luck, but we have enough in reserve to edge it I think. Lyon have to win really, so they will attack and leave space for us to counter them. Also their fans are not happy at the moment, Elber is being booed, etc.

All teams look at it the same way = win and you are in last 16, while some teams do not NEED a win (like us) as a draw will do. Has to be tightest CL group in a long time.

I hope Anderlecht can do it but I feel Bayern will be too strong for them.

Fingers crossed for Wednesday, and Tuesday. :mrgreen: :twisted:

Hope we can do it but it will be hard with 3 of our main players out. As long as we don't lie back and let them come at us, because if we do that we'll get murdered. Their defence didn't look the greatest and with out forwards and attacking mids we could get chances. Pity Jackie is out the game as I'm sure MO was gearing up for a 4-4-2 and now that throws it up in the air. Can't (hope) he won't bring in Sylla, maybe it will be Joos or big Jo, but there pace might be found out.

FD

Some of the stuff posted on Follow Follow is hilarious, look at this:
Posted by kostas_gate13maniac on 09 Dec 22:49 Complain | Previous | Next | Reply
We accept your congratulatings Rangers fans ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gate13 maniacs are mentalled from our win tonight. Your team was not so good tonight Rangers fans but this was because of Gate13. Tonight was another historic moment for Gate13 and PAO. Gate13 always knew we could win your team for the third place. Now we are going to make a celebrating with our green Celtic brothers. They are invitating us to their house and even teaching us about your money. Maybe next year we will meet you Rangers fans. Ellas Europi Panathinaikos!! Forza PAO 0le Ole Ole Ole!!!
Posted by theibroxdream on 09 Dec 22:45 Complain | Previous | Next | Reply
Match report - Rangers v Panthanaikos ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tonight was a Greek drama combing farce with tragedy as a brave Rangers team succumbed to the wiles of their Balkan foes. And yet it all so started so promisingly as Michael Mols managed to crawl out his wheelchair to head a dramatic opener after sustained pressure from the home team.
Everything seemed to be going so well until Milkos Catastrophicus struck with a lucky fifty-five yard effort
which fooled the temprorary unsighted Stefan Klos.
However, the referee blew his whistle to rescue the Greeks from more punishment as they struggled to contain the effervescent Nuno Capucho.
However, the shamrock Athenians made an Olympian effort in the second half and clearly Rangers were still feeling the effects from last Saturday's epic victory against Dundee United. Helios Calamitus and Stavros the Kebab scewered Rangers chances fro this year. But they will be back.
[IP address logged]

Gutted for both scots teams, shocking decision from the ref to award a penalty. OK Lyon probably deserved to shade the game, BUT not in that way!

yep i was gutted for the 'tic

Do you blame Balde?

thats the 2nd time he has fucked up in Europe now

he was to blame in seville too

silly man

Couldn't agree more mate, I blamed him then and I'll blame him here too. I'm running (if not ran) out of patience with him. He does too many rash things. It was a stonewall penalty, I still think if it was on the other shoe we wouldn't have got it, but it was a stonewaller. Lyon where the better team, although Celtic's constant perversion to run back to the six-yard line came back to haunt them again just like in Bayern.

The team was actually garbage last night, with the exception of Varga who was outstanding and to a lesser extent Hartson and possibly Sutton (although he wasn't in it much). Henrik was absolute garbage and every time he touched the ball he gave it a way. His shielding of the ball was terrible, letting himself get bumped off the ball far too easily (although I ain't gonna condemn the great man, you can count his bad games with one hand). Gray got Ricksen'ed at full-back. Having McNamara, Thompson and Agathe out where crucial blows though, our wingers where non-exsitent. CD mentioned we could've done with some playmaker (like Juninho for instance) but I still think MO doesn't fancy ball-players. We do need someone to take hold of the ball and make things happen.

FD

Celtic lost it in is home match against Bayern...
I think they can win theUEFA-cup...at home they really are impressive...

Yeah although the away games where so crucial and we let slip crucial points in every game i.e. bad defending in Bayern and Lyon and inability to overpower a 10-man Anderlecht team.

FD

Well yes I have to agree Henrik was pretty poor last night, there was a moment when we had not long made it 2-2 and if he had controlled the ball properly we would have had a 3 on 2 situation to possibly make it 3-2 to us, but he badly overran it.

Bobo, yes it was daft, the blame IMO should be shared out. The whole defense for the opening goal, sleeping, Hedman for the second. Think back to Munich, Varga's poor header, Hedman again. Brussels, the whole team were awful.

As for MON not liking ball players, I don't think that's true, if he didn't like them full stop Lubo would have been punted but MON has said numerous times he had to accept Lubo wouldn't work back much because of how good he was going the other way. He also wouldn't have bothered giving DLP and Dani a trial, he offered Dani a short-term deal I believe but the player wanted a longer one and said no.

He has no funds, we tried to get McFadden (another 'ball' type player) on LOAN ffs during the summer. When it comes to the lack of a playmaker, and we sorely need one (see Bayern at home, they shut off the wings and Celtic did not create a single good chance), the board are to blame for not releasing funds, funds which would have been recouped had they qualified. I think MON said it best before a ball was kicked, "we must be the only team in the CL that hasn't signed anyone in the summer". And we reached a European final the year before - go figure.

We'll differ on that one then............I still remain adamant if he has a choice between Robbie Savage and Rivaldo, he'll take Savage.

FD

For the SPL, yes he probably would. But I think he's realised that in Europe you need a bit of class, and that's why he made moves for 3 players who might have fitted that bill.

It was a good effort, we were without 3 first choice starters, one of whom is our only real creative midfielder. Anyway, it's gone now, and all those who had a go at the board in the summer imo have been proven 100% correct.

ainslm said:
didn't think it was a penalty as the ball didn't change direction!

the ball CHANGE direction m8 !
have a look at the replay CAREFULLY!

Larsson said that he`d leave Celtics if they don`t qualify to the knockout stage ! :l

The ball did change direction. At first it looked harsh and I was amazed that the penalty had been given.

But then you see it from a different angle and you can see that the referee has actually got it spot on.
Govou's header was going towards the goal had Balde's arm not been in the way. Penalty.

132949_400X600.jpg

No he won't leave.

Ainslm - The ball clearly was deflected. The thing that gets me is the header didn't even look dangerous enough to trouble the goalie...........then again, knowing our goalies. :roll:

CD - He's had 3 players on trial and never taken any of them. One week he let's Rapaic go saying he can't judge him because of his fitness, the next week he's scoring a blinding goal and running amok for Croatia...........the guy can't tell class from grass for me, as well as an ability to sign hopeless goalies. Lubo was never used enough, especially in ECL and the one that got my back up was the Scottish Cup Final where he never came on, MO said "We where going to bring him on in Extra-time", I wanted him sacked for that stupid comment alone, a Cup Final and he wanted to hold on for extra-time.

FD

FD I think you need to calm down a little. Who did Rapaic score agaisnt? It was someone like Moldova I bet, and what has he done since? Feck all. Lubo wasn't used because he was about to collect his pension in that season, his legs were really starting to go. We lost the cup final because of MON's tactics, but he's learned since then and everytime we play the Orcs with 4-4-2 we are the better team by a mile.

The thing with goalies, yes both Hedman and Douglas have made errors when it mattered most. However, had we a Juninho or a Lubo in our team we'd score more up the other end and it wouldn't matter. Look at our goals last night, both were Lyon blunders, but their playmaker got them out of jail. We brought on Momo Sylla, who unbelievably played worse than I thought he would, and that is really saying something!

The fact is MON was still saying 2 days before the board's annoucement that there was no money to spend, that he was still looking to bring one or two people in. Total incompentence. They gave the dream team a blank cheque and won't give MON a penny, feckin loonies.

MON is trying to build a house with a wooden spoon. Sure he's made the odd iffy signing, but he's also made some good ones. Feck sake Fergie brought in Veron last year, and I still say Forlan's a diddy.

nsaka, Larsson has never said that, in fact 2 days ago he said there was no way he'd leave until the summer. If he leaves before then, he loses out on his loyalty payment or something, which I hold no grudge against him for taking.

Sorry mate, but your talking out your arse again..............stick the Juve game on and see how Lubo fared in his only ECL game (bar Ajax). If you don't think he would've done a better job against Porto and Rosenborg (epsecially) then your estimations of players aren't very good. He was kept on the bench way too much, MO is notorious for not making subs in difficult times.

Rapaic for your information is still highly regarded in the Croatia team who funnily enough are going to Euro 2004 so he can't be too bad. MO has this same stupid comment with trialists about not being able to judge due to their fitness..............what kind of daft arse statement is that to make? The guys haven't played for ages, what does he expect. He never seems to turn down defensive players who can run all day though.

I'm not trying to witch-hunt MO, not at all............but for me this is the downside to having him as manager, whilst he has his team working hard, they don't actually have great ball-players and I don't think he knows how to spot a talent. Dani wouldn't have been the saviour for us, but in the reserve matches him and DLP where supposedly looking very good, Jim Lauchlan said Dani was doing things he'd never seen people try before.

FD

I never said Lubo wouldn't have done a better job, but he didn't play against Porto or Rosenberg at home and we beat them. Away from home is a different game, although I agree that MON makes some off decisions subs-wise.

Who gives a feck what Jim Lauchlan thinks? I think we both agree on what is needed, but I don't agree that MON simply doesn't like ball players, I've already said he tried to bring some in. You want him to turn around and give Rapaic a contract when he thinks he doesn't deserve one. Rapaic may be part of the Croatia team, so is that guy Mornar from Anderlecht, who I don't rate at all. Rapaic has done nothing for his club as far as I can tell, the reason being I don't even know who signed him, that's how big they are. You wanted Hakan Yakin, who eat like a horse to hide an injury from his new club, was told not to have an operation by them but went ahead and did it anyway. He got punted back to Basle, he's still there, and his club aren't in Europe anymore. Dani - known trouble maker, let's give him a huge deal based on 2 weeks' training. MON gave him a sixth month offer like he did Varga and Gray, he threw it back in our faces. He wasn't even eligable for the CL anyway, so what would the point be in giving him a long-term deal?

I want another Lubo as much as you do, I don't want half-arsed crooks like Dani or Yakin thanks very much.

I would take Yakin in a flash, we spoke about that the other night and we all agreed, he'd be better than some of the muck plying their trade for the team. For me it's time to cash in on Petrov, Yakin would be good in that hole, rather than Petrov who turns into the invisible man a lot. We need someone like Yakin to open up teams, not Petrov who runs up and down the park. There was at least 3 instances where Lyon players ran into trouble and Petrov went in half-heartedly and didn't win the ball.

I'd even take a Nemsadze who can open up a team with his passing. Martin O'Neill's vision of the playmaker doesn't exist...........someone who can start the ball rolling attack wise and run back 40 yards and make a saving tackle.

FD

Well you already know I agree that we need one, but why you'd take someone who's willing to put on 3 stone to HIDE an injury before directly disobeying club orders to to have surgery is beyond me.

MON has come out and said that he's been trying to find a replacement for Lubo since he left, he's come out and said we lack that wee bit of quality (during the summer). That's good enough for me, he's saying what we're saying, I can't see how it's his fault the board won't put their hands into their pockets.

Well he wasted £3 million on Fernandez and Hedman and not one Celtic fan I know, knows why he went for any of those two players. That was money that could have been better spent.

FD

I don't dispute that for a minute, although it was £2.5m not £3m, 1 for Fernandez and 1.5 for Hedman, at least that's what I'm led to believe.

Every signing can't be successful, that's how you learn and move on. For those 2 you mention, what about Sutton, Hartson, Agathe, Thompson? Neil Lennon while I think he's overpaid and never worth what was paid for him, has always done a job and given it his best, which is all you can ask.

MON isn't perfect when it comes to transfers, but no one is. I also put it forward that we needed GK cover and at that point in time, £1.5m -£2m whatever it was, was good money for Hedman. Now the arse has fallen out of the market and we have nothing to spend - why do we have nothing to spend is the question that should be asked, and the answer always comes back to the board. One because of their recklessness with the dream team and two because of thier tight-fistedness with MON.

This was forecast in the summer by many, I have to say I am not in the least bit surprised we are out, and anyone who says we deserved to go through is plain wrong imo.

Defensive errors are what has cost progression to the next round! Hedman alone is to blame for many, right from the start he failed to command his area drawing the defense back to the 6 yard box on top of him. Two early scares where he stuck to his line, IMO unsettled the defense.

Talk inside Parkhead that Celtic may go for Paul Robinson of Leeds, but I think he'll cost a bit much, possibly £2-2.5 million. Although maybe having a top keeper will be worth it's weight in gold.

League looks all but guaranteed after the Pars got their first win in 31 years against the Gers. Rangers now face tough games against Hearts (H), Dundee (A) and Celtic (A). I fancy them to be Hearts, but away to Dundee will be tricky and I think at Parkhead we will beat them comfortably unless they get players back and Celtic lose some players through Injury or Suspension.

FD

It was good to see the 'MAN' Lubo doing the windfall on Saturday!!

Everyone was singing "Lubo Lubo Lubo" but my 4 year old son was singing "Rudolph Rudolph Rudolph" haha Do you think christmas is near??

Robinson is on somewhere in the region of £40,000 a week I think, which is why Aston Villa pulled out of signing him in the summer. No chance Quinn and co would sanction that kind of wage, good keeper though.

Vanoli's blunder has to be one of the funniest OG's ever :D. My god, the amount of times Gordon Smith mentioned the pitch was unreal - Rangers have one on their own training complex so wtf is he on about!!!

How long is de Boer out for, I want Bob Malcolm kept as the playmaker :D.

Back
Top Bottom