Never though i would have that much fun playing a FIFA game!

Honome

The Hated Chatbox Murder
16 April 2003
Brasil
Fluminense
Last year i got my xbox360, and after the disappointment on PES 2008 i decided to give FIFA08 a try, and really enjoyed the game, but never could have enough fun on it offline. After 20 matches the game really became boring and too repetitive, all the teams felt the same, the AI was really too much predictable and all didn´t have enough variation of plays.

This year i bought FIFA09 right when it was out and i must admit that the gameplay really changes on offline games. Now i can say i´m really having fun, even after an entire season the game is not even close to be boring. The CPU teams are much improved, not in terms of difficulty, but in terms of realism. The teams feels different from each other.

I´m playing MM with Newcastle, a middle rating team, and the difference between playing against a stronger team and a weaker team is much better this year. When i play against weak teams i pressure them a lot and must be worried about their counter-attack, but when i face a strong team is the opposite way. Also the CPU teams really act different when they are winning or loosing a game, we can also see the momentum changes inside the game.

The new strategies are just amazing, the style of the game really changes when we mix it up, is possible to adjust it depending on the team we´re facing and the situation, and it really effect the result of a game if we make the right adjustments when we´re loosing or winning. This is something that was only present in PES series, but now seems that FIFA really improved that.

I played a season on Profissional difficulty with all manual setting on controls and i guess it was too easy. Now i turned to World Class and became too difficult playing with all manual, so i just put shooting and passing on semi and for me it´s just perfect now. Very challenging and rewarding because the crossing and through balls are on manual and i really have to make good plays to score.

Still didn´t test it online, but next month i´ll probably begin playing online also to see if the 10 vs 10 are really good.

Hope i can face some of the guys here. And for online i really would like to play on all manual, is it possible this year to choose opponents that plays with all manual settings?

Hope i can face some of the guys here. And for online i really would like to play on all manual, is it possible this year to choose opponents that plays with all manual settings?

It is possible to filter your games to manual only... unfortunately there aren't many people around when you search for manual only games.

"Never though i would have that much fun playing a FIFA game!"

me too, Buddy! me too...

Thought I'd add my two penneths worth - I love this game on xbox 360 - I am a massive pes fan and didn't have much time for the Fifa series even though I got each version for ps2, but I cannot get enough of this game. Agree with everything stated above and unbelievably the teams are so realistic that if I do lose to a quality team I don't mind - I've never had that with pes I always wanted to throw the controller!!! And of course Fifa does have my team Wycombe in it which helps..........

I've never been that satisfied by a football game ever ,it sure isn't perfect but it's so close to reality that at times all I do is play replays

I feel the same mate soon as i bought this years game i have been hooked on the thing even when am in school am itchin to just get home and play it :P

Honome, esse é das antigas do fórum da W11! Velho, somos 2! Esse Fifa 09 tá muito bom mesmo! E tem cara que parece ser cego pra não ver que o PES tá com seu reinado ameaçadíssimo! Acredito que pra janeiro eu consiga uns $$ pra pagar a Live e faremos umas peleias! Abraço cara!

Honome, esse é das antigas do fórum da W11! Velho, somos 2! Esse Fifa 09 tá muito bom mesmo! E tem cara que parece ser cego pra não ver que o PES tá com seu reinado ameaçadíssimo! Acredito que pra janeiro eu consiga uns $$ pra pagar a Live e faremos umas peleias! Abraço cara!

pois é cara, agora que joguei o pes2009 pro 360 posso dizer com certeza que a konami está anos luz atrás, em se tratando da nova geração, fico aguardando vc estar na live pra jogarmos umas partidas entao :)

english:
yes man, now that i played pes2009 for the 360 i can tell for sure that konami is years behind, in terms of next generation, i´ll wait for you on live to play some matches.

Feel the same way.

GREAT game. Not perfect. Has its faults. But it's the best football game I've ever played and awesome in so manyyyyyyy ways.

Out of curiosity, do you play it on 360 or on PS3 and with which difficulty/controller settings?

i play on 360, world class, all manual controls except passing and shooting on semi, it´s perfect for me that way, is hard to score and very reward to score a goal with manual crossing or through ball!

Last season, in MM i was Man Utd on Worldclass - semi manual shooting and passing. I won the League easily by around 15 points.

This season ive switched to Legendary as Barcalona, its a lot tougher im around 8th after 12 matches but the game isnt fun. It feels robotic and scripted. the CPU string lots of passes together, has superman strength/speed in 50/50 challenges and CPU players run around like greyhounds closing you down when you attempt to pass the ball around.

Last season, in MM i was Man Utd on Worldclass - semi manual shooting and passing. I won the League easily by around 15 points.

This season ive switched to Legendary as Barcalona, its a lot tougher im around 8th after 12 matches but the game isnt fun. It feels robotic and scripted. the CPU string lots of passes together, has superman strength/speed in 50/50 challenges and CPU players run around like greyhounds closing you down when you attempt to pass the ball around.

That's the good and bad thing about Fifa, the bad that if you support or play as a very strong team you have to play the game on a very high level or it's no challenge, and also the coaches are already set very high so your already great players become super awesome in far too short a space of time.

But the good thing is that if you play with a lesser team (for example me with my Sheffield Wednesday), because the players start off all 60s I can play on Professional with either all manual or semi shooting/short passing and it's still very challenging, especially if I leave coaches and fitness on the default 3 it helps slow down the improvement of the players and keeps their fitness to a level that needs management (ie I have to rotate from time to time which adds to the challenge).

Hopefully future Fifa's will look at ways to make the game more challenging on higher difficulties without the current method of making the game unpleasant to play on the most difficult settings :)

Amen to that Placebo, I much prefer the lower league stuff makes for a much better game, if only it was not so easy to get players and money. I have stuck to the lowest ticket price, not touched any coach etc.
I have auto growth off and just touch certain youth players stats here and there, and bought players I think a club in the lower leagues could hope for in real life, I'm playing with Leeds, and I'm already a four star team, with only two players above 80 over all, and they are both in their thirties...
I take it I'm the only one who would like to see non league added...?

I'm currently attempting the achievement of winning a 16-team tournament with a 1-star team. Bloody hard work! The skills are crap compared to teams on 3 stars upwards.

Great challenge though :D

I take it I'm the only one who would like to see non league added...?

I'd like to see it, however I'd prefer to see a reserves league added first, the only problem is most reserve teams (outside the Prem teams) make the numbers up with Academy players, who aren't allowed into Fifa for legal reasons, hell Sheffield Wednesday's Championship bench for the last 2 or 3 games has included 2 Academy players and I can't even add them into Fifa :(

Having a reserve team where you can choose to play or not play the reserve fixtures would add a lot more to the game IMO, and would allow you to improve the reserve players who don't play enough first team football to gain much XP (I guess they could fill in the blanks by creating some "greyed out" players as and when needed a la football manager).

A reserves league, combined with a proper loaning system (ie one that doesn't open and close precisely with the main transfer window and allows for 1/2/3/6/12 month loans rather than the current year loan or no loan) would really add to the manager mode experience IMO. Certain big clubs already have their youth team as a separate team in the DB so I really hope that's the first step towards either a youth league or a reserve league of some kind :)

That's the good and bad thing about Fifa, the bad that if you support or play as a very strong team you have to play the game on a very high level or it's no challenge, and also the coaches are already set very high so your already great players become super awesome in far too short a space of time.

But the good thing is that if you play with a lesser team (for example me with my Sheffield Wednesday), because the players start off all 60s I can play on Professional with either all manual or semi shooting/short passing and it's still very challenging, especially if I leave coaches and fitness on the default 3 it helps slow down the improvement of the players and keeps their fitness to a level that needs management (ie I have to rotate from time to time which adds to the challenge).

Hopefully future Fifa's will look at ways to make the game more challenging on higher difficulties without the current method of making the game unpleasant to play on the most difficult settings :)

A few of the reasons why i think Fifa is to easy on Worldclass is,

1. The CPU teams are rubbish at free kicks. Ive played over 500 matches and havent conceded any free kicks against the CPU. Even if your playing against a 5 star team, they either hit it straight at the keeper or scuff it wide of the goal.

2. The CPU teams defensive line is to high. so once you play a well timed pass or hit a lobbed through ball to your striker, you get plently of one on one's with the keeper.

3. CPU teams miss far to many one on one's. In real life, Worldclass players score the majority of one on one's but on Fifa the players act like they've got a blind fold on and just keep continuely running until the keeper can just pick the ball up from their feet.

If EA improve the AI in these 3 area's, i think Worldclass would be far more challenging and realistic. Obviously, people can choose to play as teams such as 2 or 3 star rated for more of a challenge but the game just isnt as fun when your players are slow and shoot with no venom.

Last edited:
A few of the reasons why i think Fifa is to easy on Worldclass is,

1. The CPU teams are rubbish at free kicks. Ive played over 500 matches and havent conceded any free kicks against the CPU. Even if your playing against a 5 star team, they either hit it straight at the keeper or scuff it wide of the goal.

2. The CPU teams defensive line is to high. so once you play a well timed pass or hit a lobbed through ball to your striker, you get plently of one on one's with the keeper.

3. CPU teams miss far to many one on one's. In real life, Worldclass players score the majority of one on one's but on Fifa the players act like they've got a blind fold on and just keep continuely running until the keeper can just pick the ball up from their feet.

If EA improve the AI in these 3 area's, i think Worldclass would be far more challenging and realistic. Obviously, people can choose to play as teams such as 2 or 3 star rated for more of a challenge but the game just isnt as fun when your players are slow and shoot with no venom.
Yes I agree with all those, but it was the case far too many AI free kicks zipped in before, they just tweaked too far...

Back
Top Bottom