NBA 2K16. Best Sports Game Again?

I'm sure one of the older games showed you the position you're supposed to be in on the court - without that, the names of the positions mean nothing to me!

I did a face scan (very cool) and imported myself into the game, started the career, and it's pretty cool, but weird that I'm white and British with a black guy's Bronx-slang-spouting voice... :D

I love that the buttons now more closely match FIFA, which makes it easier for me - with L2 being a slow-dribble/slow-movement button, R2 being sprint, and the right stick being a "trick stick" essentially.

I just need to figure out where I'm supposed to be all the time (I'm a "number two", no jokes please)...

The myCareer storyline is really dumb yeah, there's one cutscene where you talk with the team owner and he tells you something amongst the like of 'There's nothing wrong with playing pro-ball overseas, but do you really want to learn Italian or Croatian as a second language?'. You can imagine the reaction my Croatian mate had when he created himself as a Croatian point-guard...

What I did for myCareer was just play on beginner for a while until I got my average up, simply because it's more realistic for me that way. I'm supposed to be the next franchise-player, not a back-up averaging six to eight points a game. After getting into the high 70s/low 80s I play on superstar.

One thing 2K DESPERATELY needs to add to myCareer is being able to load custom draft classes. For example, in 2K16 it would've been great to compete with Towns etc. in the first season, and then being able to import a 2016 draft class and play against Simmons and Ingram etc. Now you get fake rookies with odd names.

Shooting guard, because I match the height requirement for it in real-life and because shots from range are my favourite (to the point where I'm sort of ruining my career by trying way too many, BUT, I'm working on it)...

OK then, I'll try to point out the important stuff.

First is the gameplay settings, I think changing cameras is a must if you want to see the game like a player. Most good NBA players use the 2K camera, its behind the basket, it takes a bit of the broadcast realism, but you are playing the game. I even change the audio settings so I can hear players talking, this game has so many details they will often scream the name of the player that is open and that is kinda of huge on some defensive stops.

Controller settings are also a must, I prefer to use most axis in absolute, except defense, on D I put camera relative because the defensive stick is way harder than the offensive one. But on offense I want left to be left, up to be up and the others always.
Its also kinda of a big deal to put auto contest when you are holding L2, this will help your defense a lot, specially in the post.

Coach settings are also a must change, you have to turn play calling on both offense and defense in my opinion. As you can see tobi prefers to make the plays himself, but he is experienced point guard, I played with him already, for a new player is way harder. Put the play overlays too, I don't remember where you do this but the interface is clean and it does not ruin the experience at all.

And auto play calling will solve your problem of not knowing where to go when you are attacking, don't worry if you don't manage to get to the spot, most of the times the AI will adjust into something different than the play. But if the play breaks (when something that is supposed to happen does not) move out of the ballhandler way, or run to the rim if the ballhandler is not going there already.

Now the tips on the actual game are more simple, know your match up, most SGs in the league are good shooters, but only a few of them are good handlers and drivers.

This means you can not lose sight of them anytime or they will shoot the ball quite quickly, the best way to do this is try to bump when they are moving off ball and avoid the screens but don't go around screens too wide, try to run through them, the game will let you do this most of the times without calling a foul.

But if you are too far of the shooter, keep calm and when you are getting close hold L2. The L2 is a big deal, I see you are saying that you are holding it all the time, don't do this. Hold only when you want to get physical. By holding L2 the good players will know how to burst right pass you.

Use the right stick when defending too, its kinda of a ball denial thing, you open the arms and close the pass lane, this is important too. SGs will often stand in the corner, there is no need to stay too close to them on that situation unless its a elite shooter on fire. You will learn the distance you can get away with quickly. The secret is to hold the right stick towards the pass lane.

But remember both the L2 and the right stick limits your movement, this is huge, guards that play good D in 2K usually defend by just moving around and bumping, bumping your guy is key, don't let the animations beat you, play the animations not real basketball. Deny the AI movements by getting there first place, plain and simple.

L2 and the right stick (the block and steal too) are a timing thing, you will want to do this actions when you are countering some other action, these are not all the time commitments.

If you are defending an elite player, one that can shoot, but also dribble past you is when you will get physical and use L2, you will probably give a lot of awful points to elite players, but that's the real NBA too.

Real basketball is all about positioning too, good defenders don't let their guy get into comfortable positions.

Last edited:
Sauce, my problem with auto play calling is that it gets repetitive (small selection of plays, ignoring the majority of the playbook) and the coach doesn't let the game flow.

In this game you can activate movement just by being in certain spots on the floor (it works well) but auto play calling overrides it and everything becomes rigid. In My Career you can ignore the play call and or intentionally 'break' the play but the other four guys are still under instruction per se.

Another problem with the mode is that I'm 99% sure that the sliders intentionally don't apply. I accept that it's a fantasy mode of sorts but that's too far.

Last edited:
I see it tobi, and I agree. Some roster editors manage to get way more plays for a team tho, if I'm playing League there's just no way I will play with default sliders, rosters and settings.

But on Career you can't escape from the cheese, and for a new player like Chris auto play calling will make him understand offense way easier.

With regards to new players I agree it's helpful, actually it's probably the best way to learn the game (My Career and Auto play calling).

That would be useful to me, certainly!

So when defending... Is the blue arrow under my player's feet indicating the player I should be "marking" (is that called something different in basketball)?

Is there no way I can have a marker for where I'm supposed to be attacking? I have a vague idea - towards the edge of the "area" (no idea what the proper name is) - but... Is it not like American football where teams have "plays" on every attack?

I'll share what I use based on the 2016 NBA Playoffs

The Controller Settings for my sliders are as follows:

Defensive Assist Strength - 100
Boxout Assist Strength - 55
Automatic Shot Contest - Always

Game Settings
Difficulty - Superstar
Quarter Length - 10 Minutes
Fatigue - On
Injuries - On
Shooting Type - Real FG % - I switch this to User T if using Warriors because of S.Curry
FT Shooting Type - Real FG %
Game Speed - 48
Free Throw Difficulty - 50
Ball Handler Text - None
Shot Meter - Off
Shot Feedback - Off
Rhythm Icons - On
Pick and Roll Overlay - On

You can find my sliders and personal roster my searching for my PSN ID: AgentNL7. My roster and sliders are both called NBAcourtside. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom